Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help The Aged

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2012, 08:49 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help The Aged

last night out putting bins out, after midnight, very very cold, heard a noise, just put it down to cat.fox ect, thought saw something near neighbours car on the street.

got in house and looked out window just to double check and thoughi saw a white plastic bag on ground. had a gut feeling mightve been something else, so went out just to double check.

on pavement about 5 meters from my gate a crumpled man lay on ground, totally out of it, mumbling lifting his head then id hear it thump hard on the frozen ground. i went over try to talk to him, ask name, is he ok where he live? mostly comatoze from booze but often seeming to blak out - between telling me to "just f*ck of son" lol

so i fcked off and got him a blanket, he was frozen, and lots of bare skin incontact with lumps of ice on the pavment.

so phoned an ambulance, tried to get his name, on medication or where stayed. in meantime phoned ambulance. his legs looked bent the wrong way all over the pavement and road. all the while trying to roll himself a *** lol, i gathered up his keys and phone and rested head on blanket and covered him best i could - still being told "fukkkk of son" lol. ambulance turn up ten mins later after me talking sh*t to him and trying to have a laugh with him - hard work!

anywya they turned up and got him on board, at same time as he still telling me to fck off lol.the staff said this guy saved your life you numpty lol.

so glad i went out to double check, yes he seemed an alky ect but imagine my regret if got up today taking my kid to school and stumbling onto a dead frozen old man.
end of the day, hero praise here please
Old 05 December 2012, 09:04 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Same sort of thing happened to me a few years back, phoned an ambulance and waited with they guy and kept him warm. When the medics got there they addressed him by his name as they knew him from his regular bouts of alcohol induced stupidity.

Still, good on you, it's a pity there aren't heroes like us everywhere.

Chip
Old 05 December 2012, 09:15 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

If you checked his I.D you would probably find it was PS Lewis. Was he mumbling something about Diesel Hondas whilst he was laying there?
Old 05 December 2012, 09:20 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

i couldnt be sure but i thought i heard him "hating on" eton boys?? whatever that means lol

heart did genuinely go out to the poor old ****.

but susprisingly easy to chat away to these types, jokes are lost but spirits can still be raised to an extent - i was adimant he'd had too many vodka redbulls, at the local nightclub, chasing gilfs - more like hed sold all his copper piping in his house for 1/2 ounce of tobacco and 4 cans super lager. still felt good getting him into a warm ambulance though.

offered him some warm soup but he said he'd heard mine was sh*te!!! dont beleive that for a second lol
Old 05 December 2012, 09:24 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

jef, I'm happy to say well done pal. david lock
Old 05 December 2012, 09:31 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done Jeff at least this country still has silent hero's like you who are not willing to ignore others whatever the cost to you. Hats off to you sir!
Old 05 December 2012, 10:04 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

to be fair i am trained in this kind of thing, but rarely get to use it, so was nice knowing exactly what to do and to be able to help, but as i was getting him a blanket i thought, am i just extending human life for the sake of it lol (as per my other thread lol) - i wasnt really btw!
but just goes to show having that wee bit of training to rely on, and the fact its most likely to come in handy in home life made me thankful id had what i did. not that i had to perform CPR or any more stressful patient care - i was safe in the knowledge that if it was infact needed i knew exactly what to do without panic.
and also i could use my skills to assess the condition of the casualty, and use techniques to keep the guy concious - mainly by having a laugh and brushing off his insults.

i know that from the just ten mins accompanying him waiting on the ambulance and trying to keep him warm that i was fcking freezing and he must even with the effect of booze been absolutley frozen.
think of all those homless at this time of year!! horrible.

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2012, 10:09 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Been there done that, a neighbour near my ex wfife used to go out every Sunday morning, get bladdered, stagger home and puch seven bells out of his partner....

Nothing unusual, apart from he was in his 70's lol

Found him face down in the gutter one sunday evening, his nose spread accross his face ,, called an ambulance and they carted him away, 3 days later he's staggering up the road on crutches, bladdered.

You do have to wonder sometimes lol

But fair play to you, many people wouldnt have gone back or ignored him

Mart
Old 05 December 2012, 10:17 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Good on you Jef
Old 05 December 2012, 10:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Well done mate, you saved the silly old ****** !

I have been there, not as the drunk, not yet anyway...

Me and my cousin were sat outside his house and this drunk rocks up, he had arrived back from Dublin to Manchester Airport, was mullered, utterly the drunkest person I have ever seen, he was throwing wads of cash around, trying to give it us, we made him a brew and chatted to him, sobered him up and drove him to a hotel they werent keen on taking him but he was quiet so they let him in, we paid them for two nights with the cash he was waving at us and left him with them a little more sober, we did not take a penny of his money for ourselves.

I found a drunk woman having a massive Asthma attack whilst walking the dog, she was chucking up, wheezing, coughing and didnt look at all well, I calmed her down and chatted to her as best as I could as I called an ambulance which came and took her, I didnt think any more about it until the same woman appeared on a documentary about Wilmslow and its wealthy inhabitants !
Old 05 December 2012, 10:57 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

its weird the palces things pop up

my gran has virtually no saliva, but made me steak for tea while i visited her, shed take a miniscule bite around a gram then a sip of water to get it down - but one time it didnt go down an got stuck - que me panicing, slapping her back. me a 18 stone muscled guy her a afrail 76 year old weighing no more than 5-6 stone. my thuds on her back felt like i was cracking vertibrae with every hit. phoned ambualnce as she was struggling and showing signs of mild cynosis. foned my dad who told me heinlick manover jsut to dislodge the food -fooook!!! petrified, and looking like im humping a tiny old woman i gave it my best shot 2-3 times, then assess and carry on if needed, this happened a few times, was so scared was going to crumble her skelton to noting or atleast cause irreversible damage.

then told her, im driving you to hosp or call ambulance. then without ryhme or reason she said, its down! - i thought she was at it, but after a 5 min assessment and recovery we both realised was over, slumped on couch from panic and joked about it - but really dont think ive been that scared before. to watch my gran die and be so helpless would haunt me for the rest of my days,

she stills remembers it even if not my name lol - good ol gal!
Old 05 December 2012, 11:49 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I took a drunk to custody after he sexually assaulted the female officer I was patrolling with.

He puked cake in to my, thankfully, gloved hand. I nearly puked on him.
Old 05 December 2012, 11:55 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Good on you Jef.
Next time I'm out of it, I'll (hic) look out for yer..
Old 06 December 2012, 06:57 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Good on you Jef.
Next time I'm out of it, I'll (hic) look out for yer..
I think you should do more than buying him a pint for saving your life Alan. Maybe a remap. Hope you're feeling better
Old 06 December 2012, 09:56 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Well done Jeff, good on you. Was a thread on here about 4 years ago when I helped save a chap who'd been knocked off his bike by a car on a dual carriage way. You go into 'autopilot' and then any emotions kick in later.
Old 06 December 2012, 01:23 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

Fair play to you mate, a lot of people would just ignore/ walk past!

I once saw an elderly lady fall over in a town, quite late on, I rang the ambulance, but before they turned up the daughter appeared giving me a right mouthfull for getting involved!!! some people eh!

Last edited by Fleetster; 06 December 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06 December 2012, 02:05 PM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

Well done for attending to him.

Why do the public ignore someone in trouble?
I was shopping in a supermarket last year when an old lady just dropped to the floor and passed out.
Customers just wheeled their trollies around her and carried on shopping.
I rushed over to her and put her on her side and used my jacket as a pillow for her head, her friend was distraught, I shouted out for someone to get the shop first aider, got looked at like I was mad. Another man shouted at an assistant across the isle to get help and get an ambulance. Between the two of us we comforted her as much as we could and made sure that she didn't swallow her tongue. Eventually a Paramedic turned up and took over.
The other man came over to me and shook my hand, he asked where I had learned first aid and I asked him the same. I was taught by St.John's Ambulance and he was taught as a serving Police Officer.
He took my name and address and then he accompanied the lady to the ambulance.
A week later I got a nice card from the old lady to thank me for helping her.
What had happened was that the shop was hot and as she leaned over the freezer to get something out, the blast of cold air made her feint.

You should all go on a first aid course, you never know when you will need it.

http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/training-courses.aspx
Old 06 December 2012, 08:15 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Harrington
Well done Jeff at least this country still has silent hero's like you who are not willing to ignore others whatever the cost to you. Hats off to you sir!
Don't know about silent... he's on here bragging about it already. But well done Jef, you've probably saved someone's life!
Old 06 December 2012, 08:21 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

We entertained a load of old folks last night in the Sgts Mess, free scran, Xmas pressies, bingo and an entertainer. It was noce to see them all having a nice time, although they were all p1ssed on the way back out to the coach. I saw an unsteady man out to the coach (I actually caught him by the shoulders when he fell out of the door earlier), and he thanked me on behalf of everybody involved, and apologised that his wife wasn't there but she died in October.
Nearly wept for the old guy there and then.
Old 07 December 2012, 04:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Full praise from me Jef, you done good!

Les
Old 07 December 2012, 08:37 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Don't know about silent... he's on here bragging about it already. But well done Jef, you've probably saved someone's life!
well while being a bit happy with myself - im pressing SN wasnt really going through my freezing mind at the time lol.

agree though a simple first aid course is a great idea for families ect, skills that one day may pay off