Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody got experience in dealing with Currys/Whatever Happens?

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2012, 06:22 PM
Notorious Lurker
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody got experience in dealing with Currys/Whatever Happens?

Logged on under a pseudonym (no I'm not Pissy Lewis) as I would like to attempt to remain anonymous.

I've got a genuine query about this "Whatever Happens" policy. Background: I bought a Panasonic 42" plasma tv from Currys 6 yrs ago. with this service contract policy.

Never had need to use it until an accident at a family gathering which resulted in the TV being pushed back and falling of the tv stand.
After chastising the kids for messing about (they're ok btw!)
A couple of dents and what looks like a cracked plasma screen - it doesn't power up.
Called the number provided, stating my policy number etc. The outcome of the call was that due to a long time to wait, I could take the TV into my local store, where it would be collected and sent to the workshop.

I took the TV in on 16th November, and received a service docket, that states an expiration date of 5/12/12. The TV would be collected for delivery to the workshop on the 19th November.
I was also given tracking information so I can see what's happening with the TV.

So from 19th, I start logging in to track the progress. The aspect can be edited down - track & trace stated the TV would be back with me on 27th November.
This date arrived. TV didn't.
The reason why it didn't is quite simple - they lost the TV!

But good news, they FOUND it. 3 days later. And I received a text from the workshop that the TV would be back in my possession on the 14th December.

Sounds good? I thought so.

My query is that there's a 21-day period where at worst, the TV gets written off as they cant repair it in time.

My understanding is that the duration is from when Currys take possession of the item - which at BEST, would be sometime this week. Let's say Saturday.

However, to state the 14th, seems rather late. (working on the basis that they will justify repairing a 6yr old plasma - if the parts are still available!)

After reading the net, there seems to be very little in a positive light about this policy (you live and learn eh?) - has anybody actually had a positive experience with this?

To silence the cynics, I would be happy to get my TV back repaired (after all, a new plasma screen will last another 6 yrs!) so I'm happy anyway.
What is confusing is that I don't want Currys to get away with not adhering to a policy that I signed up for.

Thoughts?

NL
Old 02 December 2012, 06:39 PM
Wild Thing
Scooby Regular

Its a tv why the cloak and dagger pseudonym?
Old 02 December 2012, 06:42 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I can from experiance provide a definitive answer on this

the time limit starts from the day they visit.

We had a sony tv, bought as a shop special

3 weeks later it developed a fault, so we called them out.....

Chap came, read the fault code, said it needed a new board, wrote some details on a reciept and said we'll be in touch....

18 days later, her indoors starts going on about ringing them as weve heard nothing... me having read the blurb and the time limit, tells her to hang on...

22 days arrive, so i ring the number on the letter and explain 22 days, repair not completed, accoding to the blurb a replacement model..

Yes says the lady at the other end, here is your returns number, take TV to the shop you bought it from and they will replace it...

Took tv to the shop with the returns number, .... hmm Problem, shop says TV is no longer a current model,.... But as agreed, they will provide a replacement model, so they gave me the next model up (as it has to be like for like)....Brand Spanking new with a brand new warranty

All for waiting 3 days

In your case i would guess they will give a store credit to the value of the TV

Mart
Old 02 December 2012, 06:48 PM
scoobyman2007
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi mate this has hapond to me wive my pc mate and they told me thay lost it and then had it and wean it went over the time I went in to the store and the calld them and the head ofice mate and I got a new one ther and then mate go in and see them

Sorry for the spellings mate
Old 02 December 2012, 06:56 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wild Thing
Its a tv why the cloak and dagger pseudonym?
Exactly.

Hi Pete!
Old 02 December 2012, 07:08 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I bought a laptop from PC world which is the same company and I have the same "anything happens" policy. The agreement is that whilst any repair is being carried out we'd have a "loan". So laptop stopped working, dropped it to PC world next day and sat back. 10 days later still no loan laptop and no update on the repair of mine.
It turns out the laptop wasn't collected from the store for 8 days?

Anyway I work round the corner so went in, asked at the customer service desk and the girl behind the counter was very matter-of-fact, I asked her if she felt this was acceptable. As i walked off I looked back and she was shaking her head laughing!
That was it, I lost it in the store and had the manager had to be called.

It took 15 days to get my loan laptop, and my original laptop turned up on day 16.
Old 02 December 2012, 07:11 PM
Notorious Lurker
Scooby Newbie

I'm honoured you think so, but no, not I'm Pete. Pete (for what little credit he deserves) wouldn't be so subtle with his pseudonym.

I have my reasons for keeping hush, none of which I feel compelled to divulge to you.

However, for those that have contributed constructively, I thank you. It would appear that I need to contact them on day 21 (wednesday) and request the vouchers OR my repaired TV.
For those who've successfully attempted this, was there any specific phrases you had to say to them (keeping it civil!)

Thanks again

NL
Old 02 December 2012, 07:13 PM
Notorious Lurker
Scooby Newbie

Wow Kwik. Did the "kicking off" in the store accomplish anything (and fwiw, I think I'd have done the same)
Old 02 December 2012, 07:25 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Notorious Lurker
I'm honoured you think so, but no, not I'm Pete.
Sounds more so like you're Yoda

In all seriousness, I'm interested in this answer too - been looking for a reason to drop kick my Currys policy.

Keep us posted

DAn
Old 02 December 2012, 07:28 PM
Notorious Lurker
Scooby Newbie

yes - oops!

Anybody else had experiences?
Old 02 December 2012, 10:09 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

i would agree with Mart - the time should start when u handed your Tv over in the shop.
Tv's may be different, but Washing machines are 6 weeks......!

given the time that has passed, you now need to create a fuss and start making a nuisance of your self. This isn't always an easy thing to do - but it will get you a result...
Old 02 December 2012, 10:09 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Simple response, if they exceed the date stated for repair or return, then you just tell them that in your contract it has x, y and z and they need to honour that simple.
Old 02 December 2012, 10:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you all know I took CURRYS to court and won - got the cost of the TV and legal costs ......................... I'm watching the very same TV right now

You can claim the cost of the Policy - and for a replacement TV.

I would take out a summons tomorrow morning ....... you WILL win!

And, no, he/she isn't me
Old 03 December 2012, 08:02 AM
JayM
Scooby Regular

Notorious Lurker is actually JackClark, and the TV is actually an iPhone, hence the cloak and dagger shenannagins ;-)
Old 03 December 2012, 08:13 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Notorious Lurker
I have my reasons for keeping hush, none of which I feel compelled to divulge to you.
Old 03 December 2012, 09:25 AM
Notorious Lurker
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the comments (and the pointless ones - made me chuckle!)

"D" day is Wednesday, so will update accordingly (for those who are interested)
Old 07 December 2012, 07:26 PM
Notorious Lurker
Scooby Newbie

As promised, I thought I'd update the thread.

I have a result from Currys. After consultation with them, they admitted that they'd run over the 21-day period, as per the contract, and are in the process of "writing off" the old TV.

I now have to wait a few days for a code to come through that can then be used in my local Currys.
For future reference, according to the person I spoke to, there are limitations as to what you can "replace" the old TV with - eg, say your TV cost £1000, 6 years ago, once it's written off, you won't be able to replace the TV with a similar-priced TV (this makes perfect sense as the price/technology has changed).

You will however be able to have TV of similar technology and size to your original item.

There are a few grey areas with availability of stock, so I will know more when I get my "code" and get dragged into Currys with the Wife.

Will update once more when I get back from the shop.

But on the surface, the policy seems to do exactly what it says - which makes a change!

Thanks for the advice/confirmation.

NL
Old 09 December 2012, 09:55 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I returned my Philips hi-fi to Currys yesterday under the 'whatever happens' warranty as the left speaker port simply stopped working. They didn't question anything, just advised me to find a suitable replacement, and that if I wanted to upgrade, I could simply pay the difference between the value of the returned item and the new one. Suffice to say I upgraded to a nice Sony unit for an extra £40 (which is still covered by the 'whatever happens' policy i purchased). One of the most painless experiences at Currys in a long time.
Old 09 December 2012, 10:17 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Well done.Sounds like a result.

I would think the replacement will be fine.There must have been a massive jump in technology & quality in 6 years.
Old 09 December 2012, 09:31 PM
Notorious Lurker
Scooby Newbie

Yes, thanks. I'd be happy with that outcome. I'm more than realistic and only want a replacement however, my only gripe/concern (potentially anyway: tbc once I have the voucher) is that of the value of the replacement TV.

I've paid over £400 in premiums for this service.

The like-for-like TV is £300-odd now on the currys website. So, through no fault of mine, a policy that was meant to protect my investment could actually cost me even more.

My argument would be that the like for like should also take into account my premiums, and the replacement TV should attempt to reflect this.

Does this sound fair?

In a perfect world, the replacement should be equivalent to when I bought it, but I think I'm dreaming/pushing my luck with that one...... But you never know !

NL
Old 10 December 2012, 05:55 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

It will be in their terms and conditions as to whether it's replaced on value or technology (like for like). I suspect that they're not that stupid as to say that if you paid say £1000 six years ago then you'll have £1000 to spend today - that would mean you'd have a much better set.

I suppose that if you'd broken your TV after a month, or even a year, then a like-for-like TV would have been a good result for you.
Old 10 December 2012, 10:01 AM
Notorious Lurker
Scooby Newbie

Agreed - and whilst I'm attempting to make the best of a bad situation (ie I don't have my TV), I think it's only fair to meet in the middle, so that utilising the policy for one of its intended uses, I get value for money from my premiums.

Nothing more, but certainly nothing less.

Will keep you posted.
Old 11 December 2012, 09:35 PM
Notorious Lurker
Scooby Newbie

UPDATE

well, my journey is over! New tv acquired today!
True to their word, currys delivered, albeit in a rather vague manner
Despite instructions to bring every ID possible, not one item checked, nor any signatures!

The deal was that the replacement item had to be at the least an equivalent model to what I've got/had.
The downside was that the store didnt have a Panasonic 42" plasma in stock.
There was no issue with substituting for LED, but the hiccup was getting a similar spec in terms of performance - my old plasma was a good one, and still beat a lot of the current TVs on spec....which caused them some headaches.
Not to mention that they didnt have most of the similar-spec TVs in stock.

So they ended up justifying a more expensive tv for me. And chucked in more of the whateverhappens policy for free, along with a load of movie vouchers.

So, I've ended up with an LG 42" smart led TV. Checked the reviews and it's a good one (ironically same tech as in the Panasonic anyway)

Got it home and so far v impressive.

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited by Notorious Lurker; 11 December 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12 December 2012, 06:05 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Good stuff. Now sit back, enjoy your new set and wait for them to contact you about your old set being repaired and ready to deliver to you! I actually had that - they took over four weeks to repair an old set so gave me a new one and then returned my old one fixed and in full working order lol.