Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Would anyone seriously vote to leave the EU in a referendum......

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2012, 10:12 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would anyone seriously vote to leave the EU in a referendum......

..........knowing it would be the end of the UK economy?
Old 30 November 2012, 10:39 PM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

I would vote to keep us in.
Personally, my business would suffer because I import the majority of my stock from Germany and would end up paying import duties. Fine you might say, everyone else importing would be paying them, but about 50% of my sales are made back to Germans and other EU members who would then pay their own domestic import duties, I couldn't compete in those markets then with the added costs.
Old 01 December 2012, 09:15 AM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

in a split second
Old 01 December 2012, 09:21 AM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shooter007
in a split second
+1
Old 01 December 2012, 10:30 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hammer man
+1
+2
Old 01 December 2012, 10:43 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

+3 That is exactly why Cameron won't have a referendum now, because of the huge wave of anti Europe sentiment in Britain. The telegraph ran a poll a few days ago and it was >70% who would vote to leave the EU

Last edited by andy97; 01 December 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01 December 2012, 10:52 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

i would vote out

it doesnt matter what we vote it will be rigged like Ireland was where they only accepted the result if it is what they want or they just keep getting you to vote until they get the result they want

Trending Topics

Old 01 December 2012, 10:54 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldun
I would vote to keep us in.
Personally, my business would suffer because I import the majority of my stock from Germany and would end up paying import duties. Fine you might say, everyone else importing would be paying them, but about 50% of my sales are made back to Germans and other EU members who would then pay their own domestic import duties, I couldn't compete in those markets then with the added costs.
The problem is the EU is portrayed in a very bad light by the media and nothing but bad things ever seem to come out of it. Just as an example on this morning’s news, they are running an article about how car insurance is going up because of an EU ruling making it illegal to differentiate using gender. To me, this is absolutely ridiculous, since risk should be assessed on anything tangible, and if young male drivers have more crashes than females of the equivalent age, then why shouldn’t the insurance companies load up premiums as appropriate?
The kind of level of EU membership benefit you are talking about is unknown to most of the populous, so whilst there may be or are many benefits to our membership, the average man (and woman) on the street are just not seeing it.
I’m not sure how I’d vote to be honest, but I’d like to see the books properly audited and signed off for one, as it is bordering on blatant criminality to carry on as they are, taking our money as they do, but not being able to accurately demonstrate where it has gone. If the EU was an organisation within the EU it would have been closed down by now. They should also stop interfering and getting involved in things (such as car insurance) that don’t really help anyone, take a step back and then take a real good look at how they can help the people of Europe instead of meddling in things that don’t need meddling with.
If things carry on as is, I think there is a momentum gathering in the UK, which will force a vote, and I suspect the result, if taken today, would result in our exit.
Old 01 December 2012, 11:04 AM
Camsedin
Scooby Regular

am to busy trying to vote to leave the uk never mind the eu for now lol
Old 01 December 2012, 11:33 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yes I would vote out as the whole concept originally envisaged, and voted on, of a group of trading nations has completely changed.

I think they are very wasteful and I am sickened by the salaries and perks of the MEPs and others.

We can stay trading with EC members in whatever currency we want but have the freedom to use British contractors for British construction and supplies if we want to. Much better control on immigration as well.

Plus Clegg supports the EC so yet another reason to exit

I am surprised Labour don't jump on the exit band wagon as that would probably mean a win at the next general election.

dl
Old 01 December 2012, 12:09 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

We put too much into it and get too little out of it (apart from foreign leeches) TBH. Another vote out from me.
Old 01 December 2012, 12:11 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

I think they are very wasteful and I am sickened by the salaries and perks of the MEPs and others.

dl
Read this last week some place, think the average salary was something like 43,000 can't remember if that was Pounds or Euros though it employed something like 38,000 people and the average retiring age was 63!

Alright for some.
Old 01 December 2012, 12:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Read this last week some place, think the average salary was something like 43,000 can't remember if that was Pounds or Euros though it employed something like 38,000 people and the average retiring age was 63!

Alright for some.
Double that and you're getting close (for MEPs anyway)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...llowances.html

dl
Old 01 December 2012, 12:21 PM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

Here is an article written in 2004,
He makes quite a strong case for leaving, but, are we in too deep 8 years on?

http://www.vernoncoleman.com/theeu.htm
Old 01 December 2012, 12:24 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

A friend of mines sister was an conservative mep (she is now in government)

And he said she was clearing a couple of hundred thousand a year just in expenses

A real gravy train
Old 01 December 2012, 01:19 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you ever have your dream of the use of European standardised pallets being made law in the UK fulfilled?
Old 01 December 2012, 01:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I dont want to see our country,that is "our country" being run by unelected politicians. I think that is one of the really important points. Democracy would disappear, the Eu parliament with each country having 10% or so of the MEP's is a very good example of divide and rule! It is nonsemse to say it would be the end of our economy, I am convinced that it would mean the opposite. They still all want our exports.

I really feel that we need to retain full control of our own country and consequently our way of life. I don't think it would be very good to be told how to run our country by those in different countries. I think that most of the countries in the Schengen area would feel the same too when it came down to it.

Les
Old 01 December 2012, 01:58 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Never thought I'd say it, but yes I'm for voting out!
Old 01 December 2012, 02:00 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

The OPs statement is false in my opinion. And yes, I would actively help campaign to leave should there be an in/out referendum. Try reading
Amazon Amazon
Old 01 December 2012, 02:09 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Another "out"here
Old 01 December 2012, 02:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Never going to happen.

Our politicians can say what they want, but NONE of them is telling the truth if they say they want out.

And yes, I DO include UKIP, biggest liars of all.
Old 01 December 2012, 03:12 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

+ however many others would vote out
Old 01 December 2012, 03:27 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Another one here for getting out!
Old 01 December 2012, 06:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Never going to happen. Not in my lifetime, and probably not in the lifetime of ANYONE on here
Old 01 December 2012, 07:05 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leslie
I dont want to see our country,that is "our country" being run by unelected politicians. I think that is one of the really important points. Democracy would disappear, the Eu parliament with each country having 10% or so of the MEP's is a very good example of divide and rule! It is nonsemse to say it would be the end of our economy, I am convinced that it would mean the opposite. They still all want our exports.

I really feel that we need to retain full control of our own country and consequently our way of life. I don't think it would be very good to be told how to run our country by those in different countries. I think that most of the countries in the Schengen area would feel the same too when it came down to it.

Les

Old 01 December 2012, 07:42 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

im aware of manyof the sensationalist headlines about E.U corruption and the negatives but id like to read a (totally) independant report on the pros and cons of being in the E.U.

im aware as much as i can be through press stories, and red tape i actually encounter due to it, but a real life pro/con list would be good to read.

on the face of it, its shambolic, wasteful and has significant flaws - rarely do i hear of the uk buisnesses that rely on it or benfit from it.
Old 01 December 2012, 07:48 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
im aware of manyof the sensationalist headlines about E.U corruption and the negatives but id like to read a (totally) independant report on the pros and cons of being in the E.U.

im aware as much as i can be through press stories, and red tape i actually encounter due to it, but a real life pro/con list would be good to read.

on the face of it, its shambolic, wasteful and has significant flaws - rarely do i hear of the uk buisnesses that rely on it or benfit from it.
The test is that no UK Prime Minister has come anywhere close to taking the UK out of the EU. Why, because they know, in the cold light of day, it would be a disaster.

Judge people by their actions.
Old 01 December 2012, 08:00 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

I would vote to leave the EU
Old 01 December 2012, 08:03 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

but tbh my beleif in politicians extends to them doing what they can to maintain a position of power and for many to amass personal wealth, hiding in the background.
they thought it right to not join a single currency.
i know little admittedly of these things apart from corruption or atleast wastage is rife, what is the disaster you mean mate - genuine question? uks total economic collapse or just a political parties demise?

im aware politics often fly in the way of direct sense/popularity or even accredited associations guidlines, sometimes to save power, save face, or parties reputation or any other interests

Last edited by jef; 01 December 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01 December 2012, 08:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
Les, you keep talking about retaining control.
yet LOADS of decisions are now taken away from us and imposed by the EC.

It's the same for other EC countries, except that the others ignore the ones they don't like, or that don't make their country better/richer.

OUR politicians, on the other hand, enforce every EC directive, except those that would cost them money, and then blame the EC, saying there is nothing they can do.

The only time I can remember them ACTUALLY going against the EC was when they influenced the ECHR dfecision on speed cameras, because it would have cost this country £millions if they had lost.

Quick Reply: Would anyone seriously vote to leave the EU in a referendum......