Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2012, 02:00 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Car Dealers

Are they all as bad as each other I'm not talking about some backstreet outfit here, a main dealer of premium German cars too.

Agreed to purchase a second hand car on the weekend, hardly any discount off the screen price but admittedly the price does seem competative so I guess it was priced to sell. In order to get a better deal they were asking if I could close it out by the month end i.e. tomorrow, but in the end due to the small discount I said I'd try but no promises. As things stand I don't have the money togther yet (stupid Santander) and as I wouldn't be able to pick it up until Sunday anyway I'm very wary about paying them ahead of time. Much rather have one final checkover, make sure the manuals, service book, sat nav DVD, full complement of keys etc. are there before sticking my debit card into their chip and pin reader.

Today I get an email basically implying if I don't close it out tomorrow we'll have to renegotiate? To what excatly, the original discount wasn't great anyhow! I've told them it isn't happening, see what they say.

Tossers. Rant over

Last edited by Graz; 29 November 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 29 November 2012, 02:10 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Sounds like they already submitted their monthly sales paperwork

I'd agree to renegotiate, downwards.
Old 29 November 2012, 02:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

BMW did this when my mum bought a car off then; basically due to some logistic issues it meant we couldn't get the finances in place where it could be sent over to them until the start of next month, despite knowing this before agreeing the sale they went on to try and get the money before the end of the month! I told her to tell them to go **** themselves; I mean if they want her to buy the car, they'll have to wait.

Unfortunately my mum bottled it and took out a short term overdraft to get the funds in time

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 November 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 29 November 2012, 02:40 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk

As Dunk says, phone them up (don't email - shocked that they did to be honest, gutless wonders!) and tell them the only negotiating you'll be doing is if the price is going down. Ask to speak to the manager and mention you feel like you are being held to ransom over it and that even though you like the car, it's not as if you probably couldn't find one the same at another dealer that would quite possibly give you a better buying experience anyway.
Old 29 November 2012, 02:56 PM
Wild Thing
Scooby Regular

Worst case senario, maybe the recievers are moving in, be careful it has happened before.
Old 29 November 2012, 02:59 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
BMW did this when my mum bought a car off then; basically due to some logistic issues it meant we couldn't get the finances in place where it could be sent over to them until the start of next month, despite knowing this before agreeing the sale they went on to try and get the money before the end of the month! I told her to tell them to go **** themselves; I mean if they want us to her the car, they'll have to wait.

Unfortunately my mum bottled it and took out a short term overdraft to get the funds in time
Yeah, guess where this car is coming from

Anyway told them they'll have to wait, tough **** if not. Deposit was paid on credit card so the consumer credit act is on my side if they really want to play silly buggers
Old 29 November 2012, 03:15 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Aaah, yes, same happened to me with BMW as well. Then they stall when it comes to someone being available to hand over your car
Old 29 November 2012, 05:23 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

They obviously want to hit their monthly target, the salesman may well be one car from hitting his target and will lose commission.
Old 29 November 2012, 05:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk

What he said ^^^^
Old 29 November 2012, 05:32 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Are they all as bad as each other I'm not talking about some backstreet outfit here, a main dealer of premium German cars too.

Agreed to purchase a second hand car on the weekend, hardly any discount off the screen price but admittedly the price does seem competative so I guess it was priced to sell. In order to get a better deal they were asking if I could close it out by the month end i.e. tomorrow, but in the end due to the small discount I said I'd try but no promises. As things stand I don't have the money togther yet (stupid Santander) and as I wouldn't be able to pick it up until Sunday anyway I'm very wary about paying them ahead of time. Much rather have one final checkover, make sure the manuals, service book, sat nav DVD, full complement of keys etc. are there before sticking my debit card into their chip and pin reader.

Today I get an email basically implying if I don't close it out tomorrow we'll have to renegotiate? To what excatly, the original discount wasn't great anyhow! I've told them it isn't happening, see what they say.

Tossers. Rant over
Put this post in here - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...5160&mid=&nmt=
It'll be interesting to see the response!
Old 30 November 2012, 12:24 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

There are some genuine people out there but hard to find them through all the muck mate
Old 30 November 2012, 10:27 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Gone quiet on me now after telling them there's no way they'll have my money before the weekend. As much as I want to collect my new toy it would have been a lot of hassle for this weekend anyway. Counting down to next Saturday

The other thing that amused me was how it was more important to try to sell many many extra insurance policys that I don't want rather than concentrating on the car itself, honestly:

Tyre insurance - never insured a tyre in my life before
Wheel insurance - err just be careful when parking and if not the repairs don't cost that much.
Minor damage insurance - as per wheel insurance.
GAP insurance - err no, I'm paying cash for this car, why would I need that?
and the final push...
Gard-X - Nearly £500 for some dodgy polish and a can of Scotch Guard over the interior. Rather spend that on a proper paint correction and detail.

If you took all that lot it would add over £2k to the asking price, is anyone foolish enough to sign up for any of it?
Old 30 November 2012, 11:16 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

All dealers are the same.

I once witnessed a 3 series bmw in a garage.
Interior out, carpet out.
Basically it was in the wrong place at the wrong time in the docks and got flooded a bit.

They were drying the thing out.
Bet they never advertised that wee gem.
Old 30 November 2012, 11:31 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I took out tyre insurance on mine, 2 weeks ago I got a nail inn one of the rear tyres. Would have cost £274, tyre insurance £250.
Last week got another nail in a different tyre (I beginning to think I'm being targeted!). Quids in as far as I'm concerned
Old 30 November 2012, 12:59 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Doesn't matter how you pay for the car. Pay cash, get back to invoice gap insurance and in the event of a total loss claim you get your insurance money plus the gap money back to the original purchase price.

Nik.

p.s. I'm not a salesman and i don't have gap insurance

.[quote=Graz;10888868]

Old 30 November 2012, 01:09 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, but the primary driver for GAP insurance is if you are using finance to pay for the car as if you write it off the insurance payout won't cover the settlement figure of the loan so your left paying off a big loan and no car to show for it. For me I'd rather just take the risk
Old 30 November 2012, 01:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Graz
Gone quiet on me now after telling them there's no way they'll have my money before the weekend. As much as I want to collect my new toy it would have been a lot of hassle for this weekend anyway. Counting down to next Saturday

The other thing that amused me was how it was more important to try to sell many many extra insurance policys that I don't want rather than concentrating on the car itself, honestly:

Tyre insurance - never insured a tyre in my life before
Wheel insurance - err just be careful when parking and if not the repairs don't cost that much.
Minor damage insurance - as per wheel insurance.
and the final push...
Gard-X - Nearly £500 for some dodgy polish and a can of Scotch Guard over the interior. Rather spend that on a proper paint correction and detail.

If you took all that lot it would add over £2k to the asking price, is anyone foolish enough to sign up for any of it?
Ahhh the "add ons". Normally you get the nice sales guy/girl handle the sales then half way through then the finances guy swaggers along and puts on the spin and pressure to have all these insurances.

Had this with both BMW and VW dealerships, and it boils my ****. IIRC it worked out as almost £5k extra to the sticker price on my Golf!! I just looked at him with the implied facepalm look and said "seriously? I can buy a brand new R32 for that instead of the one I'm buying".

Being honest I wanted to headbut him from across the desk then after knocking him outcold turn back to the original sales guy (well, lady ) to complete the deal

Scotch guard? Get rubber floor mats and leather seats; Wipe clean interior
Supaguard or whatever they call it now? Erm, its just wax...I've seen it on ebay for £20
GAP insurance? Only if you let your main insurance company bend you over with your car's valuation (I always ensure its value is correctly made for like for like).
Tyre insurance, erm, well BMW did try to sell us a ONE tyre for £400!! I got the same tyre from our wholesaler for £250.

Its just a joke really

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 November 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04 December 2012, 12:33 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Intriging, just rang them to find out what's going on as I emailed the sales chap I was dealing with my insurance certificate yesterday so they could tax the car and heard nothing back.....

.....to be told he left on Friday, fired I would suspect otherwise I'm sure they'd have given me a different contact to deal with if they knew he was going. **** poor service either way, at least call me to let me know who I need to be talking to now

Think I might play on this to see if I can get any extras thrown in or a reduction
Old 04 December 2012, 01:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Maybe he inability to close the deal on your sale caused him to get fired

Failing to meet his contracted targets and all that crap. Shame.

Whilst I might feel a "little bit" sorry, I don't think I would have sendured employment under such a regime...I'm far too militant for that kind of rubbish (yes I'm far right on the political scale, yet I'm pretty militant on employee equality ).
Old 04 December 2012, 01:50 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

I would imagine now it's December the price should come down by £ 2-400 for another months depreciation

The salesman all work on targets to hit in a month and I've seen them desperate nearer the end of the month

December will be even worse for them as who really decides I should go out and buy a car 3weeks before Xmas so the poor salesman will be skint for january wage slip with creodt card Xmas bills to pay and of course for the garage another months markdown and of course if it's still there it's another year older so maybe a grand off the price
So don't worry and dont let them pressure you
My misses always says

Don't believe the salesman "

And I've sold for thirty years now
Old 04 December 2012, 02:00 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Seems impossible to talk to someone who can sort me out, rang just before 12 only getting as far as a receptionist who said she'd get someone to call back ASAP. Said I was busy with work all this afternoon (lie) so it really did need to be ASAP. One hour later and no call, ring again, same bullsh*t, no one available right now, okay then I'll have to stay on the line until someone is as I'm busy the rest of the day

Surprisingly she tracks down someone to take my call, cue "transaction manager", start to get a bit frustrated at this point asking why nobody had called me to let me know my sales contact had left on Friday etc. Now he's taken my number with a promise of someone getting back to me this afternoon.... I'm still waiting

At what stage do I have to ask for my deposit back?
Old 04 December 2012, 02:29 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Now, if I were you I wouldn't want to buy a car from a dealer that treated potential customers like that.
Old 04 December 2012, 08:28 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Now, if I were you I wouldn't want to buy a car from a dealer that treated potential customers like that.
Exactly. Can you imagine the hassle if you end up having a warranty claim?

I would have asked for my deposit back the moment they started pushing for the money, especially when you had already made clear what your intentions were regarding finance.

They sound like a bunch of jokers. Pull out. NOW!
Old 05 December 2012, 05:54 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Yes ask for your deposit back now and walk away they will soon chase you nearer to Xmas
Plenty of cars for sale
Old 05 December 2012, 06:37 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

If you are buying from a car manufacturer's dealership and are having problems then contact the manufacturer's customer service department (not the dealer) and complain.
You would be surprised how much they will help you.
For example, if the car you are buying is a BMW Approved used car then contact the BMW customer services.
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/cse...0207__,00.html
Old 05 December 2012, 10:02 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Oldun
If you are buying from a car manufacturer's dealership and are having problems then contact the manufacturer's customer service department (not the dealer) and complain.
You would be surprised how much they will help you.
For example, if the car you are buying is a BMW Approved used car then contact the BMW customer services.
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/cse...0207__,00.html
I may just do that and it is BMW so thanks for the link. In theory this should all get resolved this morning but I don't have a lot of faith. If not I'll be threatening to walk away from the sale.

Shame really, taken me ages to track down the right car as there are not loads of 535d M-Sport Tourers around, even less so with the sport gear box option. This one is also very low mileage (58 reg and 24k miles) which is attractive to me as I do clock up a fair bit each year. The fact the car is in south London and I'm in Worcestershire doesn't simplify things otherwise I'd be down there having a rant at them

Last edited by Graz; 05 December 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05 December 2012, 01:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

It seems to be the very car you want .... and, being so lenient with them, they know that exactly!

Could it be that they have another buyer for it? Hoping that you will pull out of the deal, so are making it difficult for you? Could be .... if the car is as rare as you say!
Old 05 December 2012, 01:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

If your only in worcs, you could try Sytners in oldbury; Ask for Sonia. she's nice.

You never know, if its part of the same dealership group she maybe able to get hold of the same car from the dealership's off-site stock
Old 05 December 2012, 02:32 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Sorted I hope, all set to collect Saturday at noon. I've only bought a single for the train, hope that isn't a mistake

The journey home *should* be a lot more pleasent than the journey there.

My local dealers is Rybrook but the one I'm buying from is nothing to do with them or Sytners unfortunately.