Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ever do something and you think "you idiot"

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2012, 09:02 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever do something and you think "you idiot"

Just turned my media player on to watch homeland, and realise theres no sound coming out the speakers. So i check a few other files on my nas and they aren't working either. But i can hear the clicks when a key is pressed

It worked yesterday pefectly

So i then connected direct to tv to check it was my av amplifier - Nope not that

Changed the hdmi cable - nope

tried the coaxial output incase it was the hdmi socket- nope not that

re-loaded the firmware - nope

So as my warranty is about to run out , send off a email to the company saying i would like a replacement as this is faulty.

Then i try one last thing the most simplest, i checked if the volume control was up on the unit itself and somebody (probably my daughter) had turned it that low it was on must

So i've had to send a sheepish email apologising

Reading this back i sound like jeff
Old 26 November 2012, 09:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Spent an hour or so trying to get the same answer as was given for an "A" level maths question.

I couldn't, only for part of it.

Tried every which way.

Eventually went to make a drink , and suddenly realised the answer was in radians.......D'Oh!
Old 26 November 2012, 09:43 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Hell yeah !

We have a coal fire, and pretty much burn all our rubbish on it, everything that will burn anyway.

One day I'm bent over in front of it, trying to light some wet coal,and it's having none of it

My daughter comes down from upstairs with a bag of rubbish and says " mum says use this"

I would usually have a quick look in the bag to make sure, but on this occasion I didn't .

Got a cracking fire going pretty quick, but then.......

Massive bang, flash , eyebrows gone, hair off both arms gone, practically scalped and all the smoke alarms going off.

From that day forward I now always check for aerosols

Last edited by steve ex vauxhall; 26 November 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 26 November 2012, 09:46 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I usually say it as soon as I wake up after a session on the beer.
Old 26 November 2012, 09:54 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I recently wall-mounted my 42" 3dtv, so thought I'd be flash and drill out the wall for the cables. All trunked and plastered over I then wallpapered the wall to make it look as smooth as a baby's bum. And then I put the TV up on the bracket and stood back to admire my handy-work and noticed the power lead dangling from the TV.
Old 26 November 2012, 09:58 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
I recently wall-mounted my 42" 3dtv, so thought I'd be flash and drill out the wall for the cables. All trunked and plastered over I then wallpapered the wall to make it look as smooth as a baby's bum. And then I put the TV up on the bracket and stood back to admire my handy-work and noticed the power lead dangling from the TV.
Haha that's brilliant, I do part of this for a living and die if I did that
Old 26 November 2012, 10:15 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
Haha that's brilliant, I do part of this for a living and die if I did that
If you knew me personally you'd know this was just the sort of thing I do daily. I've been debating whether to take a picture of my still-purple big toe nail 2 months after trying to stop a cylinder head hitting the floor.
Old 26 November 2012, 10:36 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Kwik
If you knew me personally you'd know this was just the sort of thing I do daily. I've been debating whether to take a picture of my still-purple big toe nail 2 months after trying to stop a cylinder head hitting the floor.
Now thats funny, you were never going to stop that head from falling, what possessed you
Old 26 November 2012, 10:40 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

My best one recently was taking a car to the auctions. It had got an over heating problem and had previously been a cat c write off. Not the sort of thing i'd really want to sell from home.

The fan didn't kick in at all so I'd put a permanent feed in from the battery, only problem was, the battery was shagged and I needed fuel. I didn't want any unnecessary drain on the battery, so started the car without the fan wire connected. Once i'd fuelled up, I popped the bonnet on the garage forecourt and connected aforementioned fan wire.

No problem.... apart from all the sparks! I could have kicked myself for being such a numptie.
Old 27 November 2012, 12:03 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, tonight after opening the front door and not standing with my feet clear of it and raking it right over the top of my toes. The kids had only just gone to bed so had to slap my hand over my mouth to prevent any expletives from escaping
Old 27 November 2012, 02:15 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Spent £500 on a new TV cos I thought my old one was f****d (the picture had gone all yellow/pink) then realised all that was wrong was the scart had come slightly loose!

Took the cover off an extractor fan and started poking round with a screw driver to see why it was making a buzzing noise... didn't occur to me turn the elec supply off first, with inevitable consequences.
Old 27 November 2012, 02:21 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

When i walked up an aisle and said "i do".
Old 27 November 2012, 02:39 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

whilst I was removing the rear suspension from my car I spent ages with a ratchet strap and jack and after hours jacking up the suspension and tightening the strap on the spring and repeating the process several times I released that the suspension would come out if it wasn't compressed, i.e. normal. I also did other things whilst trying to get the first one out, needless to say the second one came out alot quicker than the first.

PS I now have a set of spring compressor's as I needed them to wind down the springs so that I could remove the top mounts.
Old 27 November 2012, 04:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Happens all the time...I can't remember them all! Its the recovery from the situation which counts though!

Les
Old 27 November 2012, 05:19 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Talking

Happens to me almost Every time i click on to a Ps Lewis thread
Old 27 November 2012, 05:30 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

in my younger days i had a rover 220gti with a massive ice install in it,i pulled up to a junction to turn left and there was this old coffin-dodger in front of me,i just knew he was gonna ages.i started to get really angry with him not pulling away and i started shouting (not that he could hear me because he was ancient and deaf and i had my music up really really loud) i then punched my steering wheel in a fit of rage,he pulled out in the end and all was good...............................or was it?

because i had my music up so loud i didnt realise that when my giant hand whacked the steering wheel i crushed the center part activating the horn to blast constantly

i wondered why people were giving me strange looks thru the town center
Old 27 November 2012, 05:38 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great thread. Glad I'm not the only one that does stupid stuff from time to time!