Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Selling a car via ebay/ gumtree - Argh !!

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2012, 08:18 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a car via ebay/ gumtree - Argh !!

Having been selling the family car for a few weeks now honestly cant believe the amount off complete timewasters that my ebay/ gumtree adverts seems to be attracting !! have had emails asking for info that is already clearly stated in the adverts, one guy asking for the actual reg plate when its very clearly seen in the two photos within the advert !! emails to ask how much road tax and mot left ??- I reply saying a year each and nothing ever heard again, fair enough if I replied saying both expire at the end off the month but a years mot and year tax and nothing ever heard from these folk again - strange??!!

appreciatte people have to ask questions but I honestly wonder if these same people have any intention off buying a car in the first place or possibly just like asking questions for the sake off it ??!!

tell me I am not alone in my findings !!

argh !!
Old 26 November 2012, 08:24 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I put in the Ebay ad for my WRX that silly emails/offers/questions would be ignored. The general public tend to be idiots.
Old 26 November 2012, 08:29 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

So I take it thats covers pretty much every questions thats being asked then ??!!

as I say I can understand one or two timewasters but just keep getting them night after night ...why ask questions that the answers for are clearly within the advert ?! even had a women last week ask where I was located in the uk despite again me clearly stating in the advert where I was located, only to receive a reply saying pity as would have bought that car !!
Old 26 November 2012, 08:57 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
So I take it thats covers pretty much every questions thats being asked then ??!!

as I say I can understand one or two timewasters but just keep getting them night after night ...why ask questions that the answers for are clearly within the advert ?! even had a women last week ask where I was located in the uk despite again me clearly stating in the advert where I was located, only to receive a reply saying pity as would have bought that car !!
The mistake you are making is expecting people to read your ad before asking lol.
Old 26 November 2012, 10:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The questions asked are designed to find a weakness in the item for sale ...... you ask what colour? If it's a bad colour .... you ask what mileage is, if it's high.

It's a way of pulling out the negatives in the hope to grab a bargain ..... if you (the seller) show resistance or fulfil the questions in full then they walk away.
Old 27 November 2012, 04:54 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not just asking stupid questions either. There are stupid bidders which is even worse. I had a guy asking questions about a quad bike I was (am?) selling for my step so. He bid £200 then sent an email saying sorry, it should have been £300 WTF. His bid increases to >£400 and he wins the auction. Then, nothing, no contact. I send him an email requesting he deposit, nothing. I phone him and he says He's on holiday abroad and can he come and collect in mid December. I say yes, just leave the deposit as requested. He says he can't as he abroad..... grrrrrrr
Old 27 November 2012, 10:15 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Sack him off as a non paying bidder then. You'll get the fees back and can relist.
Old 27 November 2012, 10:21 AM
Camsedin
Scooby Regular

this is why i have not bothered sticking my st205 gt4 on ebay. and i only want 1.5k for it as well lol just not wanting to put up with the planks you get on ebay!
Old 27 November 2012, 11:07 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Just tell them to push of!
Old 27 November 2012, 11:08 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I find Gumtree easier to use and it's free

Also easier to list on a regional basis which is what you need for a non-posted item.

But yes get some ***** but not too many

dl
Old 27 November 2012, 11:56 AM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I know what you mean, there must be so many people out there with sad, empty lives and nothing better to do than waste other peoples time... I've had to deal with selling a couple of properties in the last 18 months and the number of complete timewasters who have made enquiries or arranged viewings even though it's blatantly obvious they've got no intention what so ever of taking it any further is staggering.
Old 27 November 2012, 01:54 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

We sold a kids garage for like £5 a few weeks back and the buyer immediately paid through paypal. We keep emailing the buyer but they haven't been to collect and although its not exactly massive is been annoying moving it from once house to another.

I don't know how long you are expected to keep hold of things for.
Old 28 November 2012, 06:17 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Sack him off as a non paying bidder then. You'll get the fees back and can relist.
Easily said then done im afraid

Not wishing to hijack this thread. But just today been through turmoil trying to sell a PC on Ebay. Big rush of bidding activity at the end.
Contact the buyer, only to find the buyer had already paid for a PC and was only bidding on mine as this one they bought before hadn't turned up until now?
Anyways tried the 2nd chance offer to the next highest bidder and to cut a long story short the buyer was a Timewaster, saying he was going on holiday next week wanted my item but wanted to know if it can be sent next day (Original item I list for parcelforce 48) and accused me of being a con artist, and a tosser (Nice!) as the delivery price was too high. Huh?

Anyways to cut to the chase, relisted my item. But cannot put in a non-payment for the first buyer until 4 days has elapsed...

Oh and trying to find out how to do things on ebay is a knightmare. Ended up using google to try and find out how to do things..