Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Protective earplugs for DJ'ing etc.

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2012, 12:32 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Protective earplugs for DJ'ing etc.

I've been DJ'ing/clubbing now for about 10 years and even though not exactly Frankie Wilde I have noticed temporary tinnitus creeping in and ringing occurring more frequently afterwards. Seeing other guys in the scene in their 30's with perforated eardrums and permanent tinnitus has really made me take notice and look to protect my hearing from any more damage than what's already caused.

I've noticed more top jocks and even some fellow clubbers have taken to the filtered custom earplugs so found this link to which has me very interested in their products; specifically the item below.

http://www.acscustom.com/uk/index.ph...=105&Itemid=52

I was wondering if anyone on here had any personal experience in using the earplugs that "turn the volume down" rather than dull it down to mumbled as is the case with foam type plugs for industrial use etc.

I know Dan (Scoobydoo555), Ads (specialx) and Chris (subaruturbo_18) are in the scene as well as others I'm maybe not aware of.

Any more info to help guide my choice? Looking to get the moulds done and purchase within the next 2 months or so.

TIA

Andy

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 26 November 2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Sorry, got your username wrong Dan
Old 26 November 2012, 09:12 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Yeh, I got a set of ACS T1 Lives. Fantastic. Simply fantastic. But VERY expensive.

The cheaper ACS (Pro15s) are VERY good too. Well worth the money.

The other company I have great favour for is www.puretone.net - they do just the injection moldings and you can put your own earbuds in.
But they all have attenuation of the sound levels without affecting the sound quality.

HOpe this helps

Dan
Old 26 November 2012, 10:52 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Aye, very helpful. Looking at the ACS plugs amongst others, the 17dB filter seems most common for DJ's. I think these are what I want to go for and luckily there's a hearing centre on the private suite at Scunthorpe hospital too. Hopefully get the moulds done there when I go for it.
Old 26 November 2012, 11:07 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Can't remember what mine are called but they work very well and you can still hear everything perfectly.

I very strange feeling to be engulfed in bass but be able to hear people talking!

I'll be using mine again on Saturday unfortunately it's an MC heavy gig.

Last edited by specialx; 26 November 2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 26 November 2012, 11:14 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I use ACS musicians earplugs for when we do band rehearsals but tend not to use them when we do a gig as I'm usually standing behind the PA. I sometimes have one plug in if I'm close to our drummer though as the cymbals tend to make my ears ring a bit.
A few DJ friends of mine have had some custom moulded ones made that fit the inner ear which might be better for your circumstances.
Old 26 November 2012, 01:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My eldest has a set made for him when he was working in a noisy industry in Holland. They cost a LOT of money....... Come in a posh presentation case.
Old 26 November 2012, 01:31 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, seem more common than I thought. The thing is I put the question to some clubbers I know and almost got shot down in flames for even suggesting to try save my hearing. "Part of the job", "I'll worry about my ears then" and "why go to the club if you don't want your ears to ring afterwards" were the kind of immature comments.

Thing is, I like good loud systems but the 'noize' from the top or the rumble of the bass will ruin my hearing eventually. I'm certainly not hindering my plans to buy some and will be more determined to save my ears.

Jeff - some MT's and team leaders etc. have the special filtered moulded ones on plant mate. We just use the little foamy ones which are good but make you voice boom in your head
Old 26 November 2012, 03:24 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

"part of the job"
Bollox. Immature and uneducated responses - as you've discovered.

Anybody who takes music seriously, and works in the industry (or related industry) should look after their hearing. Without it, you wont have a job. Simple
Old 26 November 2012, 03:33 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
"part of the job"
Bollox. Immature and uneducated responses - as you've discovered.

Anybody who takes music seriously, and works in the industry (or related industry) should look after their hearing. Without it, you wont have a job. Simple
As above luckily they are now getting "cool" so time to make some designer ones and retire on a phat wedge!
Old 26 November 2012, 08:00 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Thanks guys, seem more common than I thought. The thing is I put the question to some clubbers I know and almost got shot down in flames for even suggesting to try save my hearing. "Part of the job", "I'll worry about my ears then" and "why go to the club if you don't want your ears to ring afterwards" were the kind of immature comments.

Thing is, I like good loud systems but the 'noize' from the top or the rumble of the bass will ruin my hearing eventually. I'm certainly not hindering my plans to buy some and will be more determined to save my ears.

Jeff - some MT's and team leaders etc. have the special filtered moulded ones on plant mate. We just use the little foamy ones which are good but make you voice boom in your head
I have some wicked bright pink and yellow twisted ones. Having tinnitus in one ear and not wanting it in the other I wear them out..

There was a guy on the radio who was a dj and had tinnitus who now runs a charity to show awareness.

He was saying something about getting the ones where they fill your ear with a filler to make a mold so they were custom to your ear... Could be very interesting.

ALSO recently on bbc I think they found a cure for it when rats (or hedgehogs) showed positive results to treatment....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7959785.stm

Last edited by RobsyUK; 26 November 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 26 November 2012, 10:12 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

It's a VERY strange sensation when the silicone goes in the sound just vanishes!

The worst bit is when the moulding is removed. Not a very nice sensation

Dodgy photos were taken last year. Had to have them redone this year in case my ears had changed.

It is one thing to bear in mind that every few years, you'll need to have new impressions taken, as your ear canal changes with age.
ie there is an ongoing cost.

DAn
Old 26 November 2012, 10:22 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Here's some more of the ACS T1s......

"Mr Keys" is what my old drummer used to call me (he sadly passed away this Summer) - always think of him when playing out now

Hope it helps in some way

Dan

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 26 November 2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 27 November 2012, 06:33 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a fancy as the made to measure one's but i use Sonic || made by North safety products, i use them predominantly for shooting, but they work on the motorbike, in the workshop when grinding ect.

They have the same diaphram (sp) and filter system without the cost, they are also recommended for music industry and industrial applications.

The last set i bought were around £25 and can be found on line or at shooting shops, this pair are over 5yrs old and still do the job nicely.

They come in 3 sizes small medium and large and are very comfortable, they are made from a similar compound to the ones that are custom made.

You can still hear talking etc, just the loud stuff has the edge taken off it, i can hear birds wings flap when hunting, it's as though i don't have them in, when you pull the trigger without them you realise just how good they are, and don't forget them again thats for sure.
http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/2206...ews.htm?page=2

fourth review is for your application.

Lol just read through a few of the reviews, and i'd say you need to get the right size, ie if you can fir your fist in your elephant ears, no point going for small.lol

Last edited by ditchmyster; 27 November 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 27 November 2012, 06:37 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Scooby that's the stuff! It's like you have a developing baby in your ear!
Old 27 November 2012, 12:26 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I cannot reccomend my ACS ER15's enough. I know they are sound cutters rather than in ear monitors, but if you go for ACS stuff you will not be dissapointed.

I got mine when I was papping and coverign gigs and they were absolutly brilliant. Even standing infront of the stacks at Wembley arena was not a challenge for them.
Old 27 November 2012, 01:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I'm buying noise cutters not in ear monitors Like the sort Van Buuren wears
Old 27 November 2012, 04:14 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Then you will love the ER15's COB
Old 27 November 2012, 04:29 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Then you will love the ER15's COB
What's the difference between the Pro 17's and ER15's then apart from price and 2dB?

I'm a bit confused on that
Old 27 November 2012, 06:01 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Agreed, the iems are either OTT or unsuitable for your requirements, but the ear moulding process is still the same.
Old 27 November 2012, 07:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Agreed, the iems are either OTT or unsuitable for your requirements, but the ear moulding process is still the same.
So you're saying I don't really need the in ear moulded plugs? My reason for going with them over generic is
A) the sound quality over the cheaper plugs
B) the comfortableness over the generic ones

As a pro yourself don't you think I need the Pro 17's or ER 15's then?
Old 27 November 2012, 09:01 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

What's the difference between the Pro 17's and ER15's then apart from price and 2dB?

I'm a bit confused on that
I haven't a clue either, but the pro's wheren't around when I got mine. Just trying to track down when I got mine! I think it was 2006 or 07
Old 27 November 2012, 09:08 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

get some of these and paint them black , tip ex technics on them .
job done

Old 27 November 2012, 09:38 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi COB. Have you got any more of your mixes on the net?
128 bpm is perfect for the step machine at the gym.
Maybe you can recommend something suitable as I am not even slightly au fait with the trance (or whatever it is called) genre.
ps sorry to go off topic lads.
Old 27 November 2012, 10:17 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

No problem. The set I played at Chesterfield on Friday would've been perfect, 90 mins 128bpm all the way through. If I can ill re-record it for you mate. As for other mixes at that tempo, most start slow and build up. I rarely stay at one Bpm throughout.

If you want energetic at that tempo, search for 'Arty'. Young Russian producer bit makes some belting choons at that sot of ilk. Soundcloud or download/fileshare websites should see fruitful results and sets. At 128bpm you're looking at progressive trance/house if you want any search tags
Old 27 November 2012, 10:58 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

No COB, 'm saying that the iems like mine are overkill. The only criteria I would focus on would be injection moulded.

Then decide if you want hearing protection and /or earbud monitoring

HTH

Dan
Old 28 November 2012, 12:26 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Ah sorry about that Dan, crossed earplug wires there

Yeah, I'll be getting the moulded ones for sure due to having small ears and struggling for comfort. Plus the obvious cancellation benefits. It looks like a toss up between the Pro 17's and ER15's tbh. Price isn't the factor, not for £20-30 difference. I just hope Iake the right choice as you can imagine.
Old 28 November 2012, 03:33 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've been DJ'ing/clubbing now for about 10 years and even though not exactly Frankie Wilde I have noticed temporary tinnitus creeping in and ringing occurring more frequently afterwards. Seeing other guys in the scene in their 30's with perforated eardrums and permanent tinnitus has really made me take notice and look to protect my hearing from any more damage than what's already caused.
Tinitus is not very nice to have, and I have some form of it already.
Have booked a hearing test in 2 weeks time.

So, when you say "I have noticed temporary tinnitus creeping in" , how temporary are you talking about ?

I find that loud noises aggrivate my tinnitus.
Old 28 November 2012, 06:40 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

No problem. The set I played at Chesterfield on Friday would've been perfect, 90 mins 128bpm all the way through. If I can ill re-record it for you mate. As for other mixes at that tempo, most start slow and build up. I rarely stay at one Bpm throughout.

If you want energetic at that tempo, search for 'Arty'. Young Russian producer bit makes some belting choons at that sot of ilk. Soundcloud or download/fileshare websites should see fruitful results and sets. At 128bpm you're looking at progressive trance/house if you want any search tags
Sweet mate - I'm on it.
Keep up the good work!
ps That was easy - ripped your 27/7/12 set and some other music as well

Last edited by cster; 28 November 2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: ps
Old 28 November 2012, 08:02 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

COB I like your mixes too, so if you've made any more can you put up a link so I can download them ??

SBK
Old 28 November 2012, 08:27 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by velohead66
Tinitus is not very nice to have, and I have some form of it already.
Have booked a hearing test in 2 weeks time.

So, when you say "I have noticed temporary tinnitus creeping in" , how temporary are you talking about ?

I find that loud noises aggrivate my tinnitus.
Same here really. Every so often I'll get a tone in my ears like you get on a hearing test. It'll last for a few seconds or a few minutes. During this I have reduced hearing. Then it just goes. It's happening more frequently over the past year now and comes on randomly.
Then it's the ringing after monitoring with headphones at obscene levels in a club. Particularly my left ear. Afterwards there is definite ringing, a full tone and noticeable partial hearing loss. This is usually for a few hours, maybe a day. Eventually the recovery won't happen and it'll be permanent.

Originally Posted by cster
Sweet mate - I'm on it.
Keep up the good work!
ps That was easy - ripped your 27/7/12 set and some other music as well
No worries and thanks for the positive feedback

Originally Posted by Simon K
COB I like your mixes too, so if you've made any more can you put up a link so I can download them ??

SBK
Certainly will do. I have two to re-record from November. One approx 45 mins and energetic and one as above, 90 mins and progressive.

Quick Reply: Protective earplugs for DJ'ing etc.