ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Protective earplugs for DJ'ing etc. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/957279-protective-earplugs-for-djing-etc.html)

chocolate_o_brian 26 November 2012 12:32 AM

Protective earplugs for DJ'ing etc.

I've been DJ'ing/clubbing now for about 10 years and even though not exactly Frankie Wilde I have noticed temporary tinnitus creeping in and ringing occurring more frequently afterwards. Seeing other guys in the scene in their 30's with perforated eardrums and permanent tinnitus has really made me take notice and look to protect my hearing from any more damage than what's already caused.

I've noticed more top jocks and even some fellow clubbers have taken to the filtered custom earplugs so found this link to which has me very interested in their products; specifically the item below.

http://www.acscustom.com/uk/index.ph...=105&Itemid=52

I was wondering if anyone on here had any personal experience in using the earplugs that "turn the volume down" rather than dull it down to mumbled as is the case with foam type plugs for industrial use etc.

I know Dan (Scoobydoo555), Ads (specialx) and Chris (subaruturbo_18) are in the scene as well as others I'm maybe not aware of.

Any more info to help guide my choice? Looking to get the moulds done and purchase within the next 2 months or so.

TIA

Andy

ScoobyDoo555 26 November 2012 09:12 AM

Yeh, I got a set of ACS T1 Lives. Fantastic. Simply fantastic. But VERY expensive.

The cheaper ACS (Pro15s) are VERY good too. Well worth the money.

The other company I have great favour for is www.puretone.net - they do just the injection moldings and you can put your own earbuds in.
But they all have attenuation of the sound levels without affecting the sound quality.

HOpe this helps :)

Dan

chocolate_o_brian 26 November 2012 10:52 AM

Aye, very helpful. Looking at the ACS plugs amongst others, the 17dB filter seems most common for DJ's. I think these are what I want to go for and luckily there's a hearing centre on the private suite at Scunthorpe hospital too. Hopefully get the moulds done there when I go for it.

specialx 26 November 2012 11:07 AM

Can't remember what mine are called but they work very well and you can still hear everything perfectly.

I very strange feeling to be engulfed in bass but be able to hear people talking!

I'll be using mine again on Saturday unfortunately it's an MC heavy gig.

MJW 26 November 2012 11:14 AM

I use ACS musicians earplugs for when we do band rehearsals but tend not to use them when we do a gig as I'm usually standing behind the PA. I sometimes have one plug in if I'm close to our drummer though as the cymbals tend to make my ears ring a bit.
A few DJ friends of mine have had some custom moulded ones made that fit the inner ear which might be better for your circumstances.

alcazar 26 November 2012 01:26 PM

My eldest has a set made for him when he was working in a noisy industry in Holland. They cost a LOT of money....... Come in a posh presentation case.

chocolate_o_brian 26 November 2012 01:31 PM

Thanks guys, seem more common than I thought. The thing is I put the question to some clubbers I know and almost got shot down in flames for even suggesting to try save my hearing. "Part of the job", "I'll worry about my ears then" and "why go to the club if you don't want your ears to ring afterwards" were the kind of immature comments.

Thing is, I like good loud systems but the 'noize' from the top or the rumble of the bass will ruin my hearing eventually. I'm certainly not hindering my plans to buy some and will be more determined to save my ears.

Jeff - some MT's and team leaders etc. have the special filtered moulded ones on plant mate. We just use the little foamy ones which are good but make you voice boom in your head :D

ScoobyDoo555 26 November 2012 03:24 PM

"part of the job" :D:D:D
Bollox. Immature and uneducated responses - as you've discovered.

Anybody who takes music seriously, and works in the industry (or related industry) should look after their hearing. Without it, you wont have a job. Simple :D

specialx 26 November 2012 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 (Post 10884124)
"part of the job" :D:D:D
Bollox. Immature and uneducated responses - as you've discovered.

Anybody who takes music seriously, and works in the industry (or related industry) should look after their hearing. Without it, you wont have a job. Simple :D

As above luckily they are now getting "cool" so time to make some designer ones and retire on a phat wedge!

RobsyUK 26 November 2012 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 10883977)
Thanks guys, seem more common than I thought. The thing is I put the question to some clubbers I know and almost got shot down in flames for even suggesting to try save my hearing. "Part of the job", "I'll worry about my ears then" and "why go to the club if you don't want your ears to ring afterwards" were the kind of immature comments.

Thing is, I like good loud systems but the 'noize' from the top or the rumble of the bass will ruin my hearing eventually. I'm certainly not hindering my plans to buy some and will be more determined to save my ears.

Jeff - some MT's and team leaders etc. have the special filtered moulded ones on plant mate. We just use the little foamy ones which are good but make you voice boom in your head :D

I have some wicked bright pink and yellow twisted ones. Having tinnitus in one ear and not wanting it in the other I wear them out..

There was a guy on the radio who was a dj and had tinnitus who now runs a charity to show awareness.

He was saying something about getting the ones where they fill your ear with a filler to make a mold so they were custom to your ear... Could be very interesting.

ALSO recently on bbc I think they found a cure for it when rats (or hedgehogs) showed positive results to treatment....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7959785.stm

ScoobyDoo555 26 November 2012 10:12 PM

It's a VERY strange sensation :D when the silicone goes in the sound just vanishes!

The worst bit is when the moulding is removed. Not a very nice sensation :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...3072009770.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...3072009771.jpg

Dodgy photos were taken last year. Had to have them redone this year in case my ears had changed.

It is one thing to bear in mind that every few years, you'll need to have new impressions taken, as your ear canal changes with age.
ie there is an ongoing cost.

DAn

ScoobyDoo555 26 November 2012 10:22 PM

Here's some more of the ACS T1s......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...1126-00093.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...1126-00094.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...1126-00097.jpg

"Mr Keys" is what my old drummer used to call me (he sadly passed away this Summer) - always think of him when playing out now :)

Hope it helps in some way :)

Dan

ditchmyster 27 November 2012 06:33 AM

Not a fancy as the made to measure one's but i use Sonic || made by North safety products, i use them predominantly for shooting, but they work on the motorbike, in the workshop when grinding ect.

They have the same diaphram (sp) and filter system without the cost, they are also recommended for music industry and industrial applications.

The last set i bought were around £25 and can be found on line or at shooting shops, this pair are over 5yrs old and still do the job nicely.

They come in 3 sizes small medium and large and are very comfortable, they are made from a similar compound to the ones that are custom made.

You can still hear talking etc, just the loud stuff has the edge taken off it, i can hear birds wings flap when hunting, it's as though i don't have them in, when you pull the trigger without them you realise just how good they are, and don't forget them again thats for sure.:lol1:
http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/2206...ews.htm?page=2

fourth review is for your application.

Lol just read through a few of the reviews, and i'd say you need to get the right size, ie if you can fir your fist in your elephant ears, no point going for small.lol

RobsyUK 27 November 2012 06:37 AM

Scooby that's the stuff! It's like you have a developing baby in your ear!

Simon C 27 November 2012 12:26 PM

I cannot reccomend my ACS ER15's enough. I know they are sound cutters rather than in ear monitors, but if you go for ACS stuff you will not be dissapointed.

I got mine when I was papping and coverign gigs and they were absolutly brilliant. Even standing infront of the stacks at Wembley arena was not a challenge for them.

chocolate_o_brian 27 November 2012 01:06 PM

I'm buying noise cutters not in ear monitors :) Like the sort Van Buuren wears

Simon C 27 November 2012 04:14 PM

Then you will love the ER15's COB :)

chocolate_o_brian 27 November 2012 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Simon C (Post 10885473)
Then you will love the ER15's COB :)

What's the difference between the Pro 17's and ER15's then apart from price and 2dB?

I'm a bit confused on that :wonder:

ScoobyDoo555 27 November 2012 06:01 PM

Agreed, the iems are either OTT or unsuitable for your requirements, but the ear moulding process is still the same. :)

chocolate_o_brian 27 November 2012 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 (Post 10885621)
Agreed, the iems are either OTT or unsuitable for your requirements, but the ear moulding process is still the same. :)

So you're saying I don't really need the in ear moulded plugs? My reason for going with them over generic is
A) the sound quality over the cheaper plugs
B) the comfortableness over the generic ones

As a pro yourself don't you think I need the Pro 17's or ER 15's then? :)

Simon C 27 November 2012 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 10885497)
What's the difference between the Pro 17's and ER15's then apart from price and 2dB?

I'm a bit confused on that :wonder:

I haven't a clue either, but the pro's wheren't around when I got mine. Just trying to track down when I got mine! I think it was 2006 or 07

Ant 27 November 2012 09:08 PM

get some of these and paint them black , tip ex technics on them .
job done :D

http://www.direct2workwear.com/image...-protector.jpg

cster 27 November 2012 09:38 PM

Hi COB. Have you got any more of your mixes on the net?
128 bpm is perfect for the step machine at the gym.
Maybe you can recommend something suitable as I am not even slightly au fait with the trance (or whatever it is called) genre.
ps sorry to go off topic lads.

chocolate_o_brian 27 November 2012 10:17 PM

No problem. The set I played at Chesterfield on Friday would've been perfect, 90 mins 128bpm all the way through. If I can ill re-record it for you mate. As for other mixes at that tempo, most start slow and build up. I rarely stay at one Bpm throughout.

If you want energetic at that tempo, search for 'Arty'. Young Russian producer bit makes some belting choons at that sot of ilk. Soundcloud or download/fileshare websites should see fruitful results and sets. At 128bpm you're looking at progressive trance/house if you want any search tags :)

ScoobyDoo555 27 November 2012 10:58 PM

No COB, 'm saying that the iems like mine are overkill. The only criteria I would focus on would be injection moulded.

Then decide if you want hearing protection and /or earbud monitoring :)

HTH

Dan :)

chocolate_o_brian 28 November 2012 12:26 AM

Ah sorry about that Dan, crossed earplug wires there :D

Yeah, I'll be getting the moulded ones for sure due to having small ears and struggling for comfort. Plus the obvious cancellation benefits. It looks like a toss up between the Pro 17's and ER15's tbh. Price isn't the factor, not for £20-30 difference. I just hope Iake the right choice as you can imagine.

velohead66 28 November 2012 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 10883645)
I've been DJ'ing/clubbing now for about 10 years and even though not exactly Frankie Wilde I have noticed temporary tinnitus creeping in and ringing occurring more frequently afterwards. Seeing other guys in the scene in their 30's with perforated eardrums and permanent tinnitus has really made me take notice and look to protect my hearing from any more damage than what's already caused.

Tinitus is not very nice to have, and I have some form of it already.
Have booked a hearing test in 2 weeks time.

So, when you say "I have noticed temporary tinnitus creeping in" , how temporary are you talking about ?

I find that loud noises aggrivate my tinnitus.

cster 28 November 2012 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 10886042)
No problem. The set I played at Chesterfield on Friday would've been perfect, 90 mins 128bpm all the way through. If I can ill re-record it for you mate. As for other mixes at that tempo, most start slow and build up. I rarely stay at one Bpm throughout.

If you want energetic at that tempo, search for 'Arty'. Young Russian producer bit makes some belting choons at that sot of ilk. Soundcloud or download/fileshare websites should see fruitful results and sets. At 128bpm you're looking at progressive trance/house if you want any search tags :)

Sweet mate - I'm on it.
Keep up the good work!
ps That was easy - ripped your 27/7/12 set and some other music as well

Simon K 28 November 2012 08:02 AM

COB I like your mixes too, so if you've made any more can you put up a link so I can download them ??

SBK

chocolate_o_brian 28 November 2012 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by velohead66 (Post 10886191)
Tinitus is not very nice to have, and I have some form of it already.
Have booked a hearing test in 2 weeks time.

So, when you say "I have noticed temporary tinnitus creeping in" , how temporary are you talking about ?

I find that loud noises aggrivate my tinnitus.

Same here really. Every so often I'll get a tone in my ears like you get on a hearing test. It'll last for a few seconds or a few minutes. During this I have reduced hearing. Then it just goes. It's happening more frequently over the past year now and comes on randomly.
Then it's the ringing after monitoring with headphones at obscene levels in a club. Particularly my left ear. Afterwards there is definite ringing, a full tone and noticeable partial hearing loss. This is usually for a few hours, maybe a day. Eventually the recovery won't happen and it'll be permanent. :(

Originally Posted by cster (Post 10886201)
Sweet mate - I'm on it.
Keep up the good work!
ps That was easy - ripped your 27/7/12 set and some other music as well

No worries and thanks for the positive feedback :)

Originally Posted by Simon K (Post 10886232)
COB I like your mixes too, so if you've made any more can you put up a link so I can download them ??

SBK

Certainly will do. I have two to re-record from November. One approx 45 mins and energetic and one as above, 90 mins and progressive.

:)