Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

28 Gate

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2012, 11:42 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 28 Gate

This is a story that is getting far too little exposure (for reasons that will become clear in a moment). It is yet another nail in the coffin of the BBC who are running out of feet to shoot themselves in.

According to the BBC Charter they are SUPPOSED to be independent in their reporting. In 2006, the BBC held a conference where they called in 28 experts, with the result they decided that global warming was man made and should be reported so.

“The BBC has held a high-level seminar with some of the best scientific experts, and has come to the view that the weight of evidence no longer justifies equal space being given to the opponents of the consensus [on anthropogenic climate change.]”

Note the best scientific experts bit. A blogger wanted to know who they were. He issued a FOI request to the BBC, who swiftly tried to wriggle out of it, to the extent it went to court, and amazingly the BBC won on the grounds it wasn't a public body!

However, through the power of the internet a list was found that DID have the list of attendees, THAT TURN OUT TO MOSTLY BE GREEN ACTIVISTS. That's right, Greenpeace members, people caught up in Climategate scandal and renewable industry figures convinced the BBC to tear up its impartiality. That is a scandal due to the tax we pay to keep this dinosaur alive. And over the last 6 years have had to listen to PROPAGANDA not science, leading to the Climate Change Act 2008 which is costing us 15bn a year.

Its time for a revolution...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...rse-and-worse/
Old 21 November 2012, 11:52 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

It can't be said often enough: this is a scandal far more significant than either the Jimmy Savile affair or the Lord McAlpine fiasco. Why? Because those first two were (mostly) ****-ups

That has to win some sort of TelBoy award
Old 21 November 2012, 12:15 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

interesting stuff, thanks Warren.
Old 21 November 2012, 12:34 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I heard an MP on the radio saying he has been trying for 2 years to get info on what the BBC spend their money on,expenses etc.He said it is almost impossible & they put up as many obstacles as they can.

Public money used for a public broadcast company should be transparent.
£3.6bn unaccounted for ???
Old 21 November 2012, 12:45 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Register covered it in depth, here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11...e28_named_wtf/

Quite funny in that the BBC went to court to prevent the names of these 28 guests from being released, for a couple of years, when someone somewhere realised they were in the public domain somewhere in a server's cache all along!
Old 21 November 2012, 01:01 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Related to this is whats going on in Germany at the moment.

Since the Fukushima disaster in Japan, Germany has made the decision to close all its nuclear power plants by 2022. Replacing them with coal.

So whilst Britain struggles on to meet unachievable and expensive targets to reduce carbon emissions, Germany has given the one finger salute to the whole thing.
Chasing the green dream is killing our economy; I suppose I can live in hope that somebody might do something about it, but I won’t hold my breath.
Old 21 November 2012, 01:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Actually I think this goes alot deaper than the BBC. The government at the time were trying to justify green taxes as a form of revenue for the coffers, and also at the same time trying to set up and encourage new green industries in the UK. For tax to be brought in it has to be jusitfied to the public, also, for a new industry to start, its needs to gain a foothold in its home market by convincing the public to buy into it.

The BBC was just meerly used as a means to broadcast the spin.

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 November 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 21 November 2012, 01:11 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

We need new power stations to replace the current fleet of Nuclear that are mostly coming to the end of their life.

New nuclear will be the greener option, and it is likely that in the medium term will be no more expensive than new coal.
Old 21 November 2012, 01:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I'm not so sure on that; The cost of bulding two nuclear plants in Belgium and France have ran massively overbudget and behind schedule
Old 21 November 2012, 01:30 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by warrenm2
This is a story that is getting far too little exposure (for reasons that will become clear in a moment). It is yet another nail in the coffin of the BBC who are running out of feet to shoot themselves in.

According to the BBC Charter they are SUPPOSED to be independent in their reporting. In 2006, the BBC held a conference where they called in 28 experts, with the result they decided that global warming was man made and should be reported so.

“The BBC has held a high-level seminar with some of the best scientific experts, and has come to the view that the weight of evidence no longer justifies equal space being given to the opponents of the consensus [on anthropogenic climate change.]”

Note the best scientific experts bit. A blogger wanted to know who they were. He issued a FOI request to the BBC, who swiftly tried to wriggle out of it, to the extent it went to court, and amazingly the BBC won on the grounds it wasn't a public body!

However, through the power of the internet a list was found that DID have the list of attendees, THAT TURN OUT TO MOSTLY BE GREEN ACTIVISTS. That's right, Greenpeace members, people caught up in Climategate scandal and renewable industry figures convinced the BBC to tear up its impartiality. That is a scandal due to the tax we pay to keep this dinosaur alive. And over the last 6 years have had to listen to PROPAGANDA not science, leading to the Climate Change Act 2008 which is costing us 15bn a year.

Its time for a revolution...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...rse-and-worse/
Labour AGAIN!
Old 21 November 2012, 01:46 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'm not so sure on that; The cost of bulding two nuclear plants in Belgium and France have ran massively overbudget and behind schedule
I think you mean Finland and France? Two of the same design are now under construction and on schedule at Taishan in China.

Lessons have been learned and rolling out the same design in the UK should be a lot more efficient and reliable.
Old 21 November 2012, 02:56 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^

Since the Fukushima disaster in Japan, Germany has made the decision to close all its nuclear power plants by 2022. Replacing them with coal.

So whilst Britain struggles on to meet unachievable and expensive targets to reduce carbon emissions, Germany has given the one finger salute to the whole thing.
Chasing the green dream is killing our economy; I suppose I can live in hope that somebody might do something about it, but I won’t hold my breath.
This is not new. Germany has been planning this for years. They were originally going to be closing all their nuclear power stations by 2011 but couldn't come up with a viable solution in time so extended the time limit.
It is not due to Fukushima that they decided to do this.
Old 21 November 2012, 03:35 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^

The Boxheads say "Up your's" to saving on green house gases,and we plough on with EU green directives .

Are we all in the same organisation?
Old 21 November 2012, 03:58 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Actually I think this goes alot deaper than the BBC. The government at the time were trying to justify green taxes as a form of revenue for the coffers, and also at the same time trying to set up and encourage new green industries in the UK. For tax to be brought in it has to be jusitfied to the public, also, for a new industry to start, its needs to gain a foothold in its home market by convincing the public to buy into it.

The BBC was just meerly used as a means to broadcast the spin.
So who is pulling the strings then? Clearly the government don't control the BBC, so who is it?
Old 21 November 2012, 04:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Have these people said what it is which actually causes what they call "climate change"?

It will be interesting if they say it is caused by global warming since the scientists now tell us that there has been no global warmimg for some 16 years now!

That must be why they now wittle on about "climate change" instead of "global warming"but what is causing it and how are we guilty? What has "carbon" got to do with it?

Les
Old 21 November 2012, 04:28 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Have these people said what it is which actually causes what they call "climate change"?

It will be interesting if they say it is caused by global warming since the scientists now tell us that there has been no global warmimg for some 16 years now!

That must be why they now wittle on about "climate change" instead of "global warming"but what is causing it and how are we guilty? What has "carbon" got to do with it?

Les
You cannot just say 'the scientists now tell us that there has been no global warming for some 16 years now'

We need names, data and charts... proof!
Old 21 November 2012, 04:52 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
The Boxheads say "Up your's" to saving on green house gases,and we plough on with EU green directives .

Are we all in the same organisation?
I will have you know "The Boxheads" are greener and recycle more than you lot. Recycling is law here and you can be in serious **** if you get caught not recycling. Also we do not have landfill tips here all our Wersthofhofs have seperate bins for everything and you get in the **** if you put the wrong stuff in the wrong bin. When I first moved here we had 7 bins just for plastic. Every thing has to be seperated. We also have our car road tax worked out on the emissions and engine size of our cars.

we also have massive incineration plants that burn all non recyclable rubbish and from that they heat water and pump it round houses in certain areas. It got to the stage a few years ago the recycling rules were so strict they didn't have enough rubbish to burn so were having to add oil into the furnaces to keep them going. They relaxed the rules slightly but not much so as to be able to burn stuff as they had to much recycling.

We also have massive solar farms aswell dotted round the place.

Last edited by Wurzel; 21 November 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 21 November 2012, 05:25 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

And the point being its all for nothing as the MMGW myth has been fabricated...
Old 21 November 2012, 05:36 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
And the point being its all for nothing as the MMGW myth has been fabricated...

phew... thank god for that
Old 21 November 2012, 05:52 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
I will have you know "The Boxheads" are greener and recycle more than you lot. Recycling is law here and you can be in serious **** if you get caught not recycling. Also we do not have landfill tips here all our Wersthofhofs have seperate bins for everything and you get in the **** if you put the wrong stuff in the wrong bin. When I first moved here we had 7 bins just for plastic. Every thing has to be seperated. We also have our car road tax worked out on the emissions and engine size of our cars.

we also have massive incineration plants that burn all non recyclable rubbish and from that they heat water and pump it round houses in certain areas. It got to the stage a few years ago the recycling rules were so strict they didn't have enough rubbish to burn so were having to add oil into the furnaces to keep them going. They relaxed the rules slightly but not much so as to be able to burn stuff as they had to much recycling.

We also have massive solar farms aswell dotted round the place.
Germany got into the whole enviromentalist recycling thing decades before us

And unlike this country, it was properly assessed and organised at a national level, rather than left in the hands of individual councils loaded with corrupt, self-serving, gravy train riding spivs
Old 21 November 2012, 05:54 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Anyway, back on topic, the BBC's blatant lack of impartiality on this subject has been apparent for some time, that report in the Telegraph doesn't surprise me in the slightest
Old 21 November 2012, 07:55 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Can somebody tell me the last time the BBC fed me impartial information regarding global warming, seeing how controlling they are according to comments on here?
Old 21 November 2012, 08:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by speedking
I think you mean Finland and France? Two of the same design are now under construction and on schedule at Taishan in China.

Lessons have been learned and rolling out the same design in the UK should be a lot more efficient and reliable.
Sorry, yes, Finland. Thing is, do you trust the Chinese to say everything is OK with their building projects?

Bear in mind the one plant that is behind schedule has a conrete base with of cracks/faults, and teh Chinese to have a blinkered view when it comes to keeping things within budget/schedule. All I keep thinking of is the tower block in Shanghai that toppled over. Have the lessons been learnt...or just ignored.

And of course, when was the last time teh UK saw a large £billion pound construction project run on schedule and on budget?

Originally Posted by Martin2005
So who is pulling the strings then? Clearly the government don't control the BBC, so who is it?
The last Government? Seriously though, for the BBC to create a program that is clearly of a propaganda nature, there has to be an agenda. For there to be an agenda, there has to be someone who will gain benefit from broadcasting this program.
Old 21 November 2012, 10:32 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's some more impartiality from the BBC...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/cl...ange/1497.html
Old 21 November 2012, 11:11 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Martin2005
You cannot just say 'the scientists now tell us that there has been no global warming for some 16 years now'

We need names, data and charts... proof!
Well amongst others that would include the Met Office, although they did seem to want to keep the facts quiet!

mb
Old 22 November 2012, 08:00 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Found what I was looking for last night on this as I've only got a pdf my dad sent me a while ago; Dr David M W Evans white paper "The Sceptics Case"

http://joannenova.com.au/2012/01/dr-...skeptics-case/
Old 22 November 2012, 09:08 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by jonc
Here's some more impartiality from the BBC...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/cl...ange/1497.html

And why is that not impartial? If you know why sea levels are rising and it's not because of global warming, why don't you tell the world what you've discovered?

Just don't get this ingrained notion of bias against the BBC. Never have.
Old 22 November 2012, 11:37 AM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

So, if global warming is found to be a myth, what then?
Old 22 November 2012, 12:04 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

So, if religion is found to be a myth, what then?
Old 22 November 2012, 12:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

One of the things that gets me is that GW has found it's way onto schools curriculae.

Within a VERY few years we will have a whole generation who think it's gospel because they were taught it in school, and anyone who disgarees will be shouted down.......oh, wait, that's already happening.....

Quick Reply: 28 Gate