Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Phone contract, what to do ??

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2012, 12:33 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Phone contract, what to do ??

Ok guys I remember reading a thread on here a while back about phones and it all got rather ugly, don't think we need that again...

Basically my phone contract is coming to an end so they (network 3) called me asking if I'd like to continue. I have no issues with using 3, great coverage and they do me a really good package, I'm just confused on which phone to have. They said I can have any phone I want but that just confused me even more...

I've had I phones for a few years now (I know I know, like the rest...) but am not adverse to changing it for another brand. I use the Internet a lot and one of my main concerns with apple is the lack of flash player, other than that its really good. I do like a decent sized screen as well so the next phone must have that.

So what's people's opinions, stick with Apple and get the new 5 or try something else ??

Thanks,
Matt.
Old 20 November 2012, 12:35 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new motorola is quite cool mate, im in the same situation (but on orange)
, I dont like the iphones as they break too easily and i drop my phone all the time , I like blackberry as they are robust too , android apps are generally free and free music downloads,

Also the windows phones are getting great write ups too

plus the old motorola razr come in carbon fibre too!
Old 20 November 2012, 12:39 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the sim only 12 months contract from Three. All you can eat data, so 2000 minutes (cross network), 5000 3 to 3, unlimited texts & unlimited internet.

I just bought my self a unbranded android, excactly the same as the Samsung Note 2 but without the name

Last edited by KAS35RSTI; 20 November 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 20 November 2012, 12:44 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Do you visit many sites that require flash?. Most sites have a HTML5 equivalents, you tube, BBC etc its increasingly becomming an irrelevance.

Also consider what you investment is in the app store. This eventually was the decider for me. I went iPhone 5 purely because I didn't want to abandon my App store ivestment. (Plus lets face it, iPhone 5 is the best built, best looking phone out there.).

Thats said, I really like the Galaxy S3, and it was my second choice. Its a really nice bit of kit. I just cant be doing with the different versions of android kicking about. I prefer a fixed platform.

Perfomance wise there is not much between them, I iPhoone is quicker but no so much as you would notice, and of course the Samsung has a big screen.

Windows phone look great, especially the Nokia 920. Metro Tiles are a really nice interface. The only downside is tha Windows app sotre is pretty barren at the moment. But I'm sure it will pick up. For me though I'd rather wait and see what happens for a couple of years and let the Windows store catch up.
Old 20 November 2012, 12:46 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

im really annoyed with my android at the moment, every week seems to refresh to a new one, and its full of bugs
Old 20 November 2012, 12:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The S3 is the one to have at the moment, its one of the quickest phones on the market (quicker than its apple equivelent by quite some margine ) and the S4 is due out in feb, but look at the new nexus 4 and some of the new HTC's coming out, there will be a big influx just before xmas of new smartphones (win8 and android) so could be worth waiting another month.

As for all you can eat data, makes me laugh no such thing as no network can support it, id read the terms and conditions carefully and note the fair useage policy.

Tony
Old 20 November 2012, 01:07 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The S3 is the one to have at the moment, its one of the quickest phones on the market (quicker than its apple equivelent by quite some margine ) and the S4 is due out in feb, but look at the new nexus 4 and some of the new HTC's coming out, there will be a big influx just before xmas of new smartphones (win8 and android) so could be worth waiting another month.

As for all you can eat data, makes me laugh no such thing as no network can support it, id read the terms and conditions carefully and note the fair useage policy.

Tony

Maybe I should wait a bit then and see what happens. Good point above regarding App Store investment, didn't even think of that.

Regarding all you can eat data, I do actually have all you can eat with no fair usage policy. It was one of my conditions when signing up as I use the Internet a lot. The way they have done it with me is give me 2GB every month, however if I use that 2GB it gets topped up with another 2 straight away at no extra cost. This can happen everyday throughout the month if need be but obviously never would as you'd never be able to use that much on a phone.
However I do hear your point as most contracts that offer all you can eat data is utter crap and are governed by fair usage. I actually got caught out by that a couple of years ago which is why I made a point of sorting this contract out.
My current contract is as much Internet as I like, 1000 minute call time across networks, 5000 three to three and 5000 texts. Plus the free iPhone ofcourse, i pay £35 per month but have been with them a long time.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 20 November 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 20 November 2012, 01:14 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Stick with what you know iPhone 5

And ignore the pub figures about ghz and speed blah blah. They're two different OS's so ate hardly comparable.

Unless you're the type to brag how many ghz your phone is or how many ms faster it loads a web page
Old 20 November 2012, 01:19 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Another question, if I changed brands what would happen to all the music I've purchased from iTunes. Can that music be transferred to a different phone ??
Old 20 November 2012, 01:20 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

lol, apple boys out in force again lol

first question i would ask is, do you def need a new handset? contracts are cheaper if you retain curent one.

Also how many of the features do you actualy use? do you need a top of the rnage phone, or do you just make calls/send texts?
Old 20 November 2012, 01:21 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Has to android and has to be Samsung imho!
Old 20 November 2012, 01:23 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy

first question i would ask is, do you def need a new handset? contracts are cheaper if you retain curent one.

Also how many of the features do you actualy use? do you need a top of the rnage phone, or do you just make calls/send texts?

Do you think I care what he buys? I'm giving my advice like he asked

Last edited by Ant; 20 November 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 20 November 2012, 01:24 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
oi, no partisaness from you mr isheep

lol, i did ask some serious questions to
Old 20 November 2012, 01:26 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy

Current handset is a iPhone 4, perfectly usable but,,,,, everybody loves getting a new phone don't they

Regards to features, well mainly Internet (****,scoobynet, 22B etc etc but mainly **** ).
Use a few game apps and download a fair bit I music from iTunes, take lots of pics too. Other than that not much else really, other than the usual texting an calling.
Old 20 November 2012, 01:32 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

downside of going to andriod or windows is your gonna loose all your itunes stuff.

but your gonna be less restricted.

option could be see what the bets deal you can get is on some decent handsets.

www.mobiles.co.uk
www.dialaphone.com (if thats right link)

also search for free gifts, was looking at a 42 inch telly with some contracts lol
Old 20 November 2012, 01:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After my (also iPhone 4) contact ran out I just went SIM only and paid 3 to unlock it. New price £7 a month with a cashback that makes it even less vs much more for a new contract. Why not keep the "old" phone if happy with it? I don't see anything a new phone does that is remotely worth the price difference. Maybe if you have money to burn, but I'd just save it or spend it on something more useful.

Last edited by john banks; 20 November 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 20 November 2012, 02:10 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You've taken pursuers shilling, swollowed the anchor

Hook line an sinker

Nothing you can do now, apple shareholders are depending on people like you
Old 20 November 2012, 02:57 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

App store investment is an interesting point indeed - In the 4 years I've had Android phones I've never yet had to pay for an app. All the one's I use are free.

Another Apple hook it seems
Old 20 November 2012, 03:17 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Doesn't pay for Apps, wonders why Android apps are a bit ****.
Old 20 November 2012, 06:39 PM
Duke94
Scooby Regular

Definitely stick with an iPhone of some sort Matt. I've had mine nearly a year and always been hankering after one and I'd not go back now. Even with a high-spec android based phone (Samsung IIRC) there was always the want there for an iPhone.

If they're saying you can have any phone you want, then the obvious thing is the new iPhone 5. There's a few things to bear in mind though compared to your 4. It's much lighter than the 4 - comparing them in each hand the difference is quite amazing...

If you've got any music station docks or in car chargers then you cannot use the then standard 20 Pin connector as used on the 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S - the 5 uses a Lightening connector that is much smaller - worth bearing in mind...

Camera-wise, much better resolution - 8 MP compared to the 5 MP on your 4.

Bigger screen (taller - 1136-by-640 resolution compared to your 960-by-640 resolution on the 4).

A mate has got one of these Samsung Galaxy S3s which spec wise trounces over my iPhone 3GS, however I'd go with the iPhone everytime.

Saying that, I don't agree with the price that Apple charge for these new 5s, but if you're getting it for free then happy days...

Re your iTunes music - on your computer navigate to Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music and your songs will be there...
Old 20 November 2012, 06:50 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I would say go and get yourself the latest HTC One and have the best phone around

Although I would also say if youve got loads of iTunes stuff then stick with an iPhone (and I hate Apples ****e) as it will just be a ball ache otherwise
Old 20 November 2012, 06:55 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Duke94
Definitely stick with an iPhone of some sort Matt. I've had mine nearly a year and always been hankering after one and I'd not go back now. Even with a high-spec android based phone (Samsung IIRC) there was always the want there for an iPhone.

If they're saying you can have any phone you want, then the obvious thing is the new iPhone 5. There's a few things to bear in mind though compared to your 4. It's much lighter than the 4 - comparing them in each hand the difference is quite amazing...

If you've got any music station docks or in car chargers then you cannot use the then standard 20 Pin connector as used on the 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S - the 5 uses a Lightening connector that is much smaller - worth bearing in mind...

Camera-wise, much better resolution - 8 MP compared to the 5 MP on your 4.

Bigger screen (taller - 1136-by-640 resolution compared to your 960-by-640 resolution on the 4).

A mate has got one of these Samsung Galaxy S3s which spec wise trounces over my iPhone 3GS, however I'd go with the iPhone everytime.

Saying that, I don't agree with the price that Apple charge for these new 5s, but if you're getting it for free then happy days...

Re your iTunes music - on your computer navigate to Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music and your songs will be there...

Thanks for that buddy, to be honest my first thought was an I phone 5, its what I'm used to and never had any problems. Stick with what you know and all that.

I just thought that while I've got the opportunity to choose a new phone I'd see which is best. Might try and pop in to my local '3' store and have a play with one of these Samsung things, can't hurt trying it out.

Another question, all these apps that are in the App Store, are these available on android or this Samsung galaxy phone ?
Old 20 November 2012, 07:36 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Maybe I should wait a bit then and see what happens. Good point above regarding App Store investment, didn't even think of that.

Regarding all you can eat data, I do actually have all you can eat with no fair usage policy. It was one of my conditions when signing up as I use the Internet a lot. The way they have done it with me is give me 2GB every month, however if I use that 2GB it gets topped up with another 2 straight away at no extra cost. This can happen everyday throughout the month if need be but obviously never would as you'd never be able to use that much on a phone.
However I do hear your point as most contracts that offer all you can eat data is utter crap and are governed by fair usage. I actually got caught out by that a couple of years ago which is why I made a point of sorting this contract out.
My current contract is as much Internet as I like, 1000 minute call time across networks, 5000 three to three and 5000 texts. Plus the free iPhone ofcourse, i pay £35 per month but have been with them a long time.
I have a 3 contract on my iPhone with all you can eat data. It has personal hotspot so I can connect to it wirelessly from my lap top etc. I use this for all my Internet access as we have no landline broadband here.

Speed is awesome and I managed to use 90gb last month

Btw the all you can eat data does have a fair usage policy - I asked them and its 1000gb
Old 21 November 2012, 06:31 PM
Duke94
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Thanks for that buddy, to be honest my first thought was an I phone 5, its what I'm used to and never had any problems. Stick with what you know and all that.

I just thought that while I've got the opportunity to choose a new phone I'd see which is best. Might try and pop in to my local '3' store and have a play with one of these Samsung things, can't hurt trying it out.

Another question, all these apps that are in the App Store, are these available on android or this Samsung galaxy phone ?
Yes that's probably the best route Matt and see what you think to them. At the end of the day IMO I think that a phone has to be right because it's something that most of us have in our pocket most of the day and use it a lot. You might really like the Samsung or other new phones and decide to change. Or not...

Yes there's a huge amount of Apps available on Android - the gap used to be larger however I think they're pretty much similar now between Apple/Android. I've heard that quite a few apps on Android are actually free, however I'm sceptical why they are...
Old 21 November 2012, 07:31 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I was lead to belive that flash was being faided out.
Old 21 November 2012, 07:56 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
I was lead to belive that flash was being faided out.
But what difference does that make?

Surely companies will adapt to what the most typical format is?

I have quite understood the 'flash' argument when it comes to Android vs Apple anyway.

If you like the iPhone and don't want to lose all your music then stick with the brand. Although bare in mind that if you think like this, you will never own anything else other than an phone made by Apple. Kind of limits your choice for the rest of your life.

Also, with an iPhone 5, your contract will increase quite a bit.

I love the android format. Very easy to use and I have never had any dodgy apps.
Most are free or charge a very small fee. Plus, I can move my music around without restriction.
Old 21 November 2012, 08:00 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
But what difference does that make?

Surely companies will adapt to what the most typical format is?

I have quite understood the 'flash' argument when it comes to Android vs Apple anyway.

If you like the iPhone and don't want to lose all your music then stick with the brand. Although bare in mind that if you think like this, you will never own anything else other than an phone made by Apple. Kind of limits your choice for the rest of your life.

Also, with an iPhone 5, your contract will increase quite a bit.

I love the android format. Very easy to use and I have never had any dodgy apps.
Most are free or charge a very small fee. Plus, I can move my music around without restriction.

Apple music is drm free so can put it on any device you want, dont give wrong advice
Old 21 November 2012, 08:09 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

So I along with a few others on this thread are wrong. Fair enough, I didn't realise you could do that now. It hasn't always been like that on Apple has it?

If that is the case, then it is just the apps that you have bought. But like I said, android apps work just fine and a free or very cheap.

Of course Ant only feels better when he is over paying for stuff.
Old 21 November 2012, 08:11 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
So I along with a few others on this thread are wrong. Fair enough, I didn't realise you could do that now. It hasn't always been like that on Apple has it?

If that is the case, then it is just the apps that you have bought. But like I said, android apps work just fine and a free or very cheap.

Of course Ant only feels better when he is over paying for stuff.
its been about that for about 3 years

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01...cworld_itunes/
Old 21 November 2012, 08:25 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

You live and you learn.

iPhones are still for tarts!

Last edited by Gear Head; 21 November 2012 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Phone contract, what to do ??