Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Which baby prams? Arghhh! (pics/links pls)

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2012, 10:43 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Which baby prams? Arghhh! (pics/links pls)

Theres too many to choose from, let alone the diffrent styles.
Trying to decide which one would be best for us, we could do with a travel one that comes with car seat and built in seat for todler age but are they any good? Is it better to get a normal pram and a separate car seat?
Need good suspension for walks with dogs on rough terrain etc
Really confused which to buy its actually doing my head in when first clicked onto pram sites.
Yes it's my first lol
Any help and advise would be great. Cheers

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 17 November 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 16 November 2012, 11:01 PM
stonefish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a look at the Quinny & a Maxi Cosi car seat.. Thats what we decided on and you can get a base that the baby carrier just clicks in.. Your partner will be the envy of the yummy mummies

We had a blue one,, but had a quick look and this should give you the idea..
The base for the car seat can come as isofix aswell but we decided against that because not all cars or vans have it..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quinny-Buz...item2a258c5ece

Last edited by stonefish; 16 November 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 16 November 2012, 11:12 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Been looking at something like this
http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/...82_10001_14051
Old 16 November 2012, 11:15 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Or this
http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/...02_10001_14051
Or are the 3 wheelers worth a shot?
Old 16 November 2012, 11:15 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

We've had a few now, well 4. When our boy was born last year, we had a Graco travel system. Baby seat you clip into the car off the main buggy. Then the buggy had a retractable seat too. Was a bit tatty after a bit so when he needed the next stage up for seat, we sold it cheap and bought him a MacLaren Globetrotter light stroller and seperate Britax baby seat to stay in the car.

He didn't get on with the MacLaren so we sold that after a few months and bought another buggy type Maxi Cosi. This was brilliant, had clips to swap prams, baby seats and all sorts if required. Isaac was 13months old when we bought it April this year so he went straight into the seat. Had good suspension but was heavy and bulky.

Just a few weeks back as a 19 month old toddler we bought him another MacLaren but one with a straighter back rest and extendable seat base. He loves it and it's another lightweight stroller more suitable to a toddler now. Still got the Britax seat for a while yet but in answer to your question you can get all-in-one systems which are very good. Maxi Cosi is my choice simply for the quality at a reasonable price as well as the interchangability of components etc.

Andy
Old 16 November 2012, 11:27 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used a Quinny buzz travel system. Served us well and in fact still use it on occasion. Although the proper pram attachment was only used a handful of times so probably wouldn't bother with it again to be honest as its not particularly cheap.

Only negative we found with the Quinny is its pretty big and even folded up takes up quite a bit of room. Wasnt really a problem until we started trying to eat out for example and it suddenly becomes apparent how big it is to park in a restaurant type place.

Very comfortable to push though and the little one seemed to like it.

What ever you get I would recommend getting one with a single bar right across the back to push rather than two handles. The big single handle is much easier to push, especially if you have something else to carry like a drink or something. That's what we found anyway.

Don't use it too much now mainly because of the size of it. We now use a Maxi-Cosi Tobi car seat and a simple fold-up buggy although she doesn't really use a buggy at all anymore unless she's tired.
Old 16 November 2012, 11:33 PM
stonefish
Scooby Regular

The Quinny has proper tyres on it that you can blow up to different pressures which should be good for dog walking and is very agile..
Old 16 November 2012, 11:47 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Good advise there guys,
Thought of a travel one as you get everything with it inc rain cover,car seat and foot muff etc. just wanted to know if they are adequate to my needs?
or am I better buying normal small/slim pram and a separate car seat? Think it could be easier with car seat as I could just leave incar but then lifting baby in and out which could be asleep etc. the travel ones the baby can stay asleep and just keep talking seat in or out.
And pictures or links please so I can see as I've never brought a pram before lol so just want to see some ideas.
Old 16 November 2012, 11:50 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

This looks small and nimble
http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/...57_10001_14051
Old 17 November 2012, 12:01 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

We've got a travel system of some sort... iCandy (?) something...

It's essentially a pram chassis, which you fit various bits to. We've got a cot bed, a "stroller seat" and adapters for the car seat (maxi cosi).

It's super handy being able to plonk the car seat into the chassis as it avoids waking baby up etc, and also obviously the chassis takes less room than the chassis + cot bed.

Not sure I'd bother with the cot bed again, but apart from that it's awesome. Just make sure you get the iso fix seat base, as it takes literally 2 seconds to drop the car seat into it.
Old 17 November 2012, 12:04 AM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

I originally wanted a Mountain Buggy, read some excellent reviews but when we checked them out you couldnt have baby facing you which we decided was important from new born.

We went for the Maxi-Cosi Mura 3 in the end, it's a 3 wheeler but the front wheel is a double to make it more stable. Its got good sized pneumatic tyres on it. Had it off road even up a sand dune and its great. Folds easily, fits ok in the car and all wheels are quick release and can be easily removed in seconds. It's a travel system pram so your maxi-cosi car seat slots straight in it or you can use the proper pram seat for longer trips. Winstanleys Pram World is worth a look in Wigan - they are online and their prices and service are very good.

My head was battered with pram hunting! Get along to a good shop - we started at Mothercare but found the service at the previously mentioned independent far better.
Old 17 November 2012, 12:05 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I like this it's got everything we need
http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/..._132327_10001_
What's the britax range like? Any good?
Old 17 November 2012, 12:10 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
We've got a travel system of some sort... iCandy (?) something...

It's essentially a pram chassis, which you fit various bits to. We've got a cot bed, a "stroller seat" and adapters for the car seat (maxi cosi).

It's super handy being able to plonk the car seat into the chassis as it avoids waking baby up etc, and also obviously the chassis takes less room than the chassis + cot bed.

Not sure I'd bother with the cot bed again, but apart from that it's awesome. Just make sure you get the iso fix seat base, as it takes literally 2 seconds to drop the car seat into it.
Originally Posted by Ayde
I originally wanted a Mountain Buggy, read some excellent reviews but when we checked them out you couldnt have baby facing you which we decided was important from new born.

We went for the Maxi-Cosi Mura 3 in the end, it's a 3 wheeler but the front wheel is a double to make it more stable. Its got good sized pneumatic tyres on it. Had it off road even up a sand dune and its great. Folds easily, fits ok in the car and all wheels are quick release and can be easily removed in seconds. It's a travel system pram so your maxi-cosi car seat slots straight in it or you can use the proper pram seat for longer trips. Winstanleys Pram World is worth a look in Wigan - they are online and their prices and service are very good.

My head was battered with pram hunting! Get along to a good shop - we started at Mothercare but found the service at the previously mentioned independent far better.
This is essentially what were after, but 3 wheels look more compact size than the 4 wheels, don't want something too big n bulky.

Guys I need pictures or links please aswell if you can as I have no clue in all the specs until I look at pics, this is driving me mad buying a buggy, it's easier to buy a car lol at least I know what I'm looking for.
Thanks
Old 17 November 2012, 12:11 AM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

http://www.pramworld.co.uk/maxi-cosi...ts-total-black

That's the one, we gave the carry cot a miss though and got the isofix/seatbelt seat base. You can use the cabriofix seat for short trips or the chair lies flat for longer trips.
Old 17 November 2012, 12:14 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quinny Buzz

http://www.quinny.com/gb-en/products/strollers/buzz-3

Oh yeah, it unfolds automatically too which is a pretty cool feature if you like that sort of thing....like I do.

Last edited by SirFozzalot; 17 November 2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 17 November 2012, 12:18 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

http://www.pramworld.co.uk/maxi-cosi...ts-total-black

That's the one, we gave the carry cot a miss though and got the isofix/seatbelt seat base. You can use the cabriofix seat for short trips or the chair lies flat for longer trips.
Yeah that looks good, can seat face towards you when pushing?
Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
Quinny Buzz

http://www.quinny.com/gb-en/products/strollers/buzz-3

Oh yeah, it unfolds automatically too which is a pretty cool feature if you like that sort of thing....like I do.
And this too, does that come with car seat?
Old 17 November 2012, 12:20 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Is a carry cotBed essential too? As don't newborns best laid flat?

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 17 November 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 17 November 2012, 12:23 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Also what's a iOS fix seat base? Is that a separate item?
Old 17 November 2012, 12:31 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Is a carry cotBed essential too? As don't newborns best laid flat?
Not essential, no. As per my previous post we used the Graco baby seat which clipped in/out of the Graco base (isofix is like a safety clip on point in the car - my classic wagon doesn't have the clip but the base can be used safely). Having the base is good as it's like a quick-release mechanism. The cars seatbelt fixes the base onto your car seat and the baby seat itself clips in and out just like that. This was fantastic if little one was asleep in his baby seat in is buggy. Unclip the car seat from the buggy, clip into car seat base - gone

Also what's a iOS fix seat base? Is that a separate item?
As above. It's something for safety (as most modern cars have an isofix point in them) but also convenience. Saves wrapping the seatbelt around the baby seat everytime you want to remove/refit it into the car. worth the money even if until there's a permanent car seat in there.
Old 17 November 2012, 12:38 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Not essential, no. As per my previous post we used the Graco baby seat which clipped in/out of the Graco base (isofix is like a safety clip on point in the car - my classic wagon doesn't have the clip but the base can be used safely). Having the base is good as it's like a quick-release mechanism. The cars seatbelt fixes the base onto your car seat and the baby seat itself clips in and out just like that. This was fantastic if little one was asleep in his baby seat in is buggy. Unclip the car seat from the buggy, clip into car seat base - gone

As above. It's something for safety (as most modern cars have an isofix point in them) but also convenience. Saves wrapping the seatbelt around the baby seat everytime you want to remove/refit it into the car. worth the money even if until there's a permanent car seat in there.
Ah I have an iso in my car I've seen the sign in back seats, so do I have to buy a separate mechanism or is it something connected to a baby car seat?
Sorry I've never been down this rd before, excuse my dumbness
Old 17 November 2012, 12:44 AM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Seat can face towards you.
You don't need a carry cot - the chair can be laid flat.
Isofix as COB has said above. The Maxi-Cosi base we got can either fix in the car with the isofix fitting or you can use the seat belt. The car seat then just clips into/out of the pram or the car.

I was the same as you mate, I only got my head round it all when we went to the shop and saw how it all works. Another tip is get it all sorted early, ours was 3 weeks early - luckily we had got it a couple of weeks earlier - only because the Missus kept on about it
Old 17 November 2012, 12:45 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Ah I see is this what your on about cob?
http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/...64_10001_14568
Do I have to buy one that's same make as car seat I buy? And don't the travel package ones comes with this item with car seat? Is it an optional extra?
Old 17 November 2012, 12:50 AM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Ah I have an iso in my car I've seen the sign in back seats, so do I have to buy a separate mechanism or is it something connected to a baby car seat?
Sorry I've never been down this rd before, excuse my dumbness
If you get a seat base it just clips into your car seat, if you look where the sign is on your car in the gap you will see 2 metal bars - the seat just uses a mechanism to clip onto these and has a leg that sits on your car floor:

http://www.pramworld.co.uk/maxi-cosi-easyfix-base-for-cabriofix-car-seat
Old 17 November 2012, 12:50 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Seat can face towards you.
You don't need a carry cot - the chair can be laid flat.
Isofix as COB has said above. The Maxi-Cosi base we got can either fix in the car with the isofix fitting or you can use the seat belt. The car seat then just clips into/out of the pram or the car.

I was the same as you mate, I only got my head round it all when we went to the shop and saw how it all works. Another tip is get it all sorted early, ours was 3 weeks early - luckily we had got it a couple of weeks earlier - only because the Missus kept on about it
Fpmsl too fecking right this ***** crazy stuff lol.
Yep my missus has been on at me tonight lol
Think we're gonna have to take a trip to mothercare on Monday now as busy all weekend and get my head around this crazy ****.
Then when we know what we're dealing with I'll buy it or search Internet for good prices.
Initially she's due end of jan so early jan we need it but might aswell spend a week getting my head round it all and buy one before Xmas or jan sales
Old 17 November 2012, 12:51 AM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...4082009556.jpg

Like that......
Old 17 November 2012, 12:56 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

If you get a seat base it just clips into your car seat, if you look where the sign is on your car in the gap you will see 2 metal bars - the seat just uses a mechanism to clip onto these and has a leg that sits on your car floor:

http://www.pramworld.co.uk/maxi-cosi...iofix-car-seat
I see
So once base is fixed in car then the baby seat just clips in and out without putting seatbelt round?
Old 17 November 2012, 12:57 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Cool I'm getting the jist of it now
Old 17 November 2012, 01:37 AM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

I see
So once base is fixed in car then the baby seat just clips in and out without putting seatbelt round?
That's right, it's dead simple once you see it all infront of you
Old 17 November 2012, 01:43 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Get one off facebook. We bought a Mummas and Puppas one for £400. You can pick the same one up second hand for £70. We didnt think of this at the time but wish we had.
Old 17 November 2012, 01:46 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Just to add, the all in one prams that fit into cars and onto the pram frame are a bad idea. The reason for this is that the baby doesn't have a change of position which can be detrimental to its physiological development.

Quick Reply: Which baby prams? Arghhh! (pics/links pls)