Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Time to end zero Road Tax band?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2012, 10:00 PM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to end zero Road Tax band?

With more small (and not so small) cars qualifying for zero Road Tax surely the point has been made and now there should be no zero rate after all the roads still have to be maintained and tax revenues are down.
Have the policy makers painted themselves into a corner?
Old 13 November 2012, 10:12 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Just another short sighted, quick fix government idea. My inlaws have just bought a new car with £20 car tax. With so many people buying cars like this there will be a crunch time. Car tax banding has nothing to do with reducing CO2. Its about the government assuming that the higher polluting cars will have bigger engines, i.e. be more expensive so their owners can therefore afford to pay more tax.
Old 13 November 2012, 10:14 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I didn't think there was a direct link between vehicle excise duty and investment in the roads anymore, thought it went into the giant government coffers to be distributed everywhere but the roads.

Plus I bought the mrs a Toyota iq earlier this year which is in the free band

Nik

Originally Posted by Gus M
With more small (and not so small) cars qualifying for zero Road Tax surely the point has been made and now there should be no zero rate after all the roads still have to be maintained and tax revenues are down.
Old 13 November 2012, 10:18 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx

Plus I bought the mrs a Toyota iq earlier this year which is in the free band

Nik
What did she do to upset you so badly, to be punished that harshly?
Old 13 November 2012, 10:24 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Nothing, she loves it!
Perfect for shooting around town in

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
What did she do to upset you so badly, to be punished that harshly?
Old 13 November 2012, 10:42 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Already discussed here:
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...overnment.html
Old 13 November 2012, 11:40 PM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
There is nothing in the link suggesting an end to the zero tax band as far as I can see.
Old 14 November 2012, 04:29 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus maybe having an electric car and charging it up from home?
No fuel tax for the government there then.
Seems to me that road charging is the next obvious step.
Old 14 November 2012, 05:37 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Yes the stupid Govt has shot itself on the foot with this policy
With so many new cars on low tax bands the govt are now loosing so much revenue and lets face it if you buy a 10k small car with zero /£20/30 tax band you can still afford a £100 tax every year to keep it on the road and with getting 50-70mpg with them they are not getting as much revenue from tax on petrol used
Coupled with people struggeling with high fuel costs ,people aren't using their cars as much for leisure and non essential journeys so more money lost for the govt coffers

But as the OP originally and correctly pointed out

The road works are all done and we don't have any potholes so we maybe don't need as much money

And the planets saved as china and India arent pumping as much fumes into the atmosphere and tree forests aren't being cut down and they have even stopped cows farting in the USA so climate change is getting better and the world is saved

Yeah right

The subaru driver by paying £230-£480!- year in tax has paid for everything and our revenue on petrol with our 20mpg cars

What will happen when we gave up and sell up as our cars have rusted away

We are virtually bankrupt now
Soon us subaru drivers will finish off the country
So the last one to leave the country
Please turn off the low wattage electric light bulb as there will be no money to pay the bill

Vote Tory and limb dems for a poorer future and thanks to Labour for starting the rot
Old 14 November 2012, 05:43 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by cster
Plus maybe having an electric car and charging it up from home?
No fuel tax for the government there then.
Seems to me that road charging is the next obvious step.
Yes road charging will be the next step then the tourist trade in the uk will Finish as people will just decide to fly abroad and spend the money overseas rather then pay road taxes
Seaside towns will become ghost Towns so maybe we can all retire to the seaside and walk every where
And we will all have solar panels and windmills so lost revenue on fuel bills for the clever Govt
Old 14 November 2012, 07:24 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Yes road charging will be the next step then the tourist trade in the uk will Finish as people will just decide to fly abroad and spend the money overseas rather then pay road taxes
Seaside towns will become ghost Towns so maybe we can all retire to the seaside and walk every where
And we will all have solar panels and windmills so lost revenue on fuel bills for the clever Govt
A windmill to charge the electric car battery/s up is actually a pretty good fit.
Old 14 November 2012, 07:59 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Yes the stupid Govt has shot itself on the foot with this policy
With so many new cars on low tax bands the govt are now loosing so much revenue and lets face it if you buy a 10k small car with zero /£20/30 tax band you can still afford a £100 tax every year to keep it on the road and with getting 50-70mpg with them they are not getting as much revenue from tax on petrol used
Coupled with people struggeling with high fuel costs ,people aren't using their cars as much for leisure and non essential journeys so more money lost for the govt coffers
Exactly, its concerning how short sighted the government was and wonder what other ill thought out plans were made that are going to come back to bite us in a few years time.

I remember John Prescott appearing on Top Gear and boasting about the "prosperity the Labour government brought us". The problem was I think the bumbling idiot was genuinely proud about what the Labour government had done to this country.
Old 14 November 2012, 08:56 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

We need to scrap co2 tax band and change everything back to PLG tax band(pre 1999) and everyone paying the same amount.
Old 14 November 2012, 08:57 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

We have a Citroen C1 on the "fleet" and it is £20 a year to tax but we still need a proper car as well which is £200 a year and my old 944 is another £200, still, if everyone drops one of their cars down to a low ved banded one it is still a big loss to the treasury so I recon they will just bung the rates up.

Always make me laugh how people rattle on about 45 mpg and free road tax, they usually neglect to mentionthe 25 grand they dropped on a BMW 318D and the fact they only do 5,000 miles a year.

Also, it is generally the wealthier end of society that, at the moment benefit from the cheaper tax, well the ones that buy newer cars, we paid six grand for the Citroen but you cant fit a family in it, so if you are looking at the cheaper end it is all older cars with dirtier engines developed largely before this CO2 based taxation nonsense, so they generally get to pay £200 plus.

All the taxation should be on fuel, nobody can avoid it easily, less administration versus the archaic disk system, no messing about sorning and it totally relates to your cars efficiency, driving style and how much mileage you do, which is where the current system is rubbish, someone doing 30k in a diesel repmobile pays less tax than the retired bloke in a 2.0 Mondeo that does 3 k a year, I am sure the Mondeo produces more CO2 per mile but not ten times more, and who gives a toss anyway, then a 747 goes over and that is more CO2 than an entire towns worth of cars produces in a year dumped into the atmosphere.
Old 14 November 2012, 09:27 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So then the only way forward for a fairer system is road charging, same in principle as fuel duty, the more you drive the more you pay. Prepare for all cars to be fitted with "black boxes" logging mileage, speed and roads travelled. Could also be used to determine the amount of insurance premium you pay too.
Old 14 November 2012, 09:46 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

So then the only way forward for a fairer system is road charging, same in principle as fuel duty, the more you drive the more you pay. Prepare for all cars to be fitted with "black boxes" logging mileage, speed and roads travelled. Could also be used to determine the amount of insurance premium you pay too.
Big brother is watching you.
Old 14 November 2012, 10:00 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I am not all that bothered about being tracked, if I am out murdering prostitutes or doing frug deals I take my push bike anyway, cant imagine my movements dropping the kids off and going to Sainsbirys are of any interest to Big Brother but I would object to the minute I kick the back out on a roundabout when there is nobody about or exceed the speed limit on a country lane that a sensor would log it to the black box which would upload it to a central database which would then send me a NIP, that would be the end of driving for pleasure.
Old 14 November 2012, 10:42 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
Big brother is watching you.
You need to worry more about Ceiling Cat
Old 14 November 2012, 11:13 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

While we are at it, Horses, slap a tax disc on those that choose to amble along on the public highway two abreast
Old 14 November 2012, 12:21 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

No need for black boxes, the infrastructure to put tolls in place on motorways must be nearly complete now, what with all the purple conduits that have been put in place, the cover story being that they are to carry the comms to drive the overhead information signs, but without a doubt, able to carry a fibre network to enable charging by the mile.
Old 14 November 2012, 01:49 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll have one on the Scoob, I'd save a fecking fortune!
Old 14 November 2012, 04:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you get a car in a low tax band you will feel much better about it.

Les
Old 14 November 2012, 08:45 PM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
If you get a car in a low tax band you will feel much better about it.

Les
I have one car in a low (not zero) tax band..............Nope, I don't feel any better about it.
Old 14 November 2012, 08:55 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I don't think black boxes in all cars is going to happen, too expensive to implement and how long would it be before JamesR appeared on the market to block them?

Most likely will be a tax on fuel but realistically I think we will continue with the system we have but all those currently enjoying £0 road tax will get hit with tax hikes.
Old 14 November 2012, 09:41 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
While we are at it, Horses, slap a tax disc on those that choose to amble along on the public highway two abreast
And the cyclists...don't forget the cyclists

Steve (driver and cyclist)
Old 15 November 2012, 12:28 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Er they introduced it to encourage the use of small cars / diesels to HELP THE ENVIRONMENT why alter it when it seems to be working. Talk about a slap in the face for the ***** that did swap their cars over

TX.
Old 15 November 2012, 12:32 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I predict a ...

TX.
Old 15 November 2012, 09:40 AM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Er they introduced it to encourage the use of small cars / diesels to HELP THE ENVIRONMENT why alter it when it seems to be working. Talk about a slap in the face for the ***** that did swap their cars over

TX.
Like this or any Government gives a toss about the environment.

Last edited by Gus M; 15 November 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 15 November 2012, 03:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have one car in a low (not zero) tax band..............Nope, I don't feel any better about it.
My Mini Cooper Clubman D is £20 annually and I feel very good about it!

Les
Old 15 November 2012, 09:47 PM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
My Mini Cooper Clubman D is £20 annually and I feel very good about it!

Les
Enjoy it while you can.

Quick Reply: Time to end zero Road Tax band?