Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cars with No lights on except DRL

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2012, 07:11 PM
shep ppp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cars with No lights on except DRL

How many cars have you seen just with there day running lights on at night, have seen 2 tonight
Old 11 November 2012, 07:28 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Seen a couple of cars recently with sidelights and foglights on
Old 11 November 2012, 07:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

How about cars driving in the dark/dusk with no lights at all or just parking/side lights (dimmer than DRLs).

Been going on for years....usually with a woman sat 1cm away from the windscreen trying to see.

And whilst I'm here, people who drive on unlit lanes and don't bother using high beams.

And fogs when its clear.

And sat navs right in the middle of the field of view (directly infront of the driver)

And people who don't indicate, or worse exit off a roundabout with the right indicator still flashing.

And people who have no lane disapline on roundabouts

And people who don't understand the concept of turning right side to right side (i.e turning right behind the oncomming vehicle that is turning right).

And people who just can't drive.

etc.

Sorry...I appear to have wandered off on a tangent...
Old 11 November 2012, 07:36 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I drive at just over 7am at the moment with no lights on my van altho it will change each day from now till end of december. When I leave the house at 7.05am I can see clearly for miles and street lighting is either off or on on a few lamps and in this light I see no reason to put my lights on.
Old 11 November 2012, 08:19 PM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

What year did Mercedes have the LED fog lights on as standard without any other lights ?

A lot of folk round here drive without lights on at night, but usually as they are stolen LOL

I blame the newer cars that have dashboard lights on contsantly making you think your lights are on
Old 11 November 2012, 08:28 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I drive at just over 7am at the moment with no lights on my van altho it will change each day from now till end of december. When I leave the house at 7.05am I can see clearly for miles and street lighting is either off or on on a few lamps and in this light I see no reason to put my lights on.
would be interested to know if you think you would be less likely to be involved in a crash if:

A: drive with your lights on

B: drive with your lights off
Old 11 November 2012, 08:40 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

My insignia has auto lights with a symbol showing they are on.

TBH automatic lights (with no off switch for some drivers) is the way forward ;-)
Old 11 November 2012, 08:43 PM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

and quite a number of highways now turn the 'street' lights off from midnight to 5 or 6am to save electric
Old 11 November 2012, 09:20 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw a car today through town at 6pm with no lights on at all, with kids in the car! Obviously the bimbo didn't notice and forgot to turn them on, relying only on town street lighting
Old 11 November 2012, 09:39 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

the amount of pre 2011 cars who drive now with fog lights on (as the side lights are on too) thinking they are DLR's.
You only have to look atthe number plate and see the car's a 52plate etc to know the driver's pleb with Fogs on.

If I were a copper I'd have a field day writing tickets.
Old 11 November 2012, 09:44 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
How about cars driving in the dark/dusk with no lights at all or just parking/side lights (dimmer than DRLs).

Been going on for years....usually with a woman sat 1cm away from the windscreen trying to see.

And whilst I'm here, people who drive on unlit lanes and don't bother using high beams.

And fogs when its clear.

And sat navs right in the middle of the field of view (directly infront of the driver) also just next to the rear view mirros

And people who don't indicate, or worse exit off a roundabout with the right indicator still flashing.

And people who don't understand the concept of turning right side to right side (i.e turning right behind the oncomming vehicle that is turning right). driver side to driver side on slightly off set juctions gets me too.. and ppl look at you gone out when you try and do it properly

etc.

agreed, BOLD with things I've added
Old 11 November 2012, 09:47 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On my way to work at 5 in the morning I see cyclists with no lights at all
Old 11 November 2012, 09:50 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It does not matter if you can see for miles, its other people that cant see you, the amount of cars that over take me early morning with no light on is shocking, i drive an artic and it makes a huge difference in my mirror if a car has light on, especially if is raining and poor light.

Just makes driving a bit safer, hence why they have started putting drl on vehicles now.
Old 11 November 2012, 09:54 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

And fogs when its clear.

And sat navs right in the middle of the field of view (directly infront of the driver)

And people who don't understand the concept of turning right side to right side (i.e turning right behind the oncomming vehicle that is turning right).

etc.

And breath
Old 11 November 2012, 10:09 PM
funkmasterjay
Scooby Regular

Frustrates the hell out of me. It's not just for drivers to 'see for miles'!. It's for drivers to be seen. All it takes is a little rainfall and it's hard to make out dark coloured cars behind etc.

Driving standards in this country is so pitiful it's untrue. We are a nation of 'bare minimum!'.
Old 11 November 2012, 10:17 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm forever driving with just day lights on by accident! I turn the key and the LEDs are so bright they light my garage up. The dials all brightly light up (like an old car turning the lights on) and I have to remember to put the lights on.
I hate new cars for this
Old 11 November 2012, 10:33 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
I'm forever driving with just day lights on by accident! I turn the key and the LEDs are so bright they light my garage up. The dials all brightly light up (like an old car turning the lights on) and I have to remember to put the lights on.
I hate new cars for this

With the DRLs and the Dashboard brightly illuminated it could be tricky to remember to put my lights on.

If I were a girl .

Just kidding - they have made it bad for new cars and knowing if your lights are on or off !
Old 12 November 2012, 08:02 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jasey
With the DRLs and the Dashboard brightly illuminated it could be tricky to remember to put my lights on.

If I were a girl .

Just kidding - they have made it bad for new cars and knowing if your lights are on or off !

Not only that but I always forget to turn them off too. Luckily the astra turns them off so the battery doesn't go flat.
Old 12 November 2012, 08:14 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I always drive with headlights on, even in the middle of the day.

Seems insane *not* to use them if they might make someone see you just a tiny bit better.
Old 12 November 2012, 08:26 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

What I like about my Impreza is I can have the lights on all the time, as it switches them off when I urn off the ignition.
Old 12 November 2012, 08:51 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

I drive with full beams on at all times. Other people seem to appreciate it as when they drive past me they flash me in approval.
Old 12 November 2012, 09:04 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

I don't think that they are taught it any more, my kids told me off when I tried to tell them how to do it a few years ago.

Old 12 November 2012, 10:59 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

I drive at just over 7am at the moment with no lights on my van
It has to be pitch black then still.
Well it is where I live at that time.
Old 12 November 2012, 01:03 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Cars that only have front DRL shouldn't activate the dash lights, that way apart from not being able to see where you’re going, you would stand a better chance of realising you don't have your lights on.

My M.I.L's Polo is like that, although for DRL it switches on all the exterior lights, number plate included, which seems a bit daft.
Old 12 November 2012, 01:15 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I have auto lights but I generally try to put them on all the time unless its a summers days. So much easier to spot other cars especially when mixed with parked vehicles etc.

One that annoys me is mini-roundabouts. Three cars approach at the same time but the car whose right is clear ie the 4th exit/entry doesnt proceed so they just sit there no one moving.
Old 12 November 2012, 01:19 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Oldun
I don't think that they are taught it any more, my kids told me off when I tried to tell them how to do it a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaRKRM5zl9s
That video shows waiting in front of oncoming traffic that is also turning right. Or is that the point - it used to be one way but now its changed inline with that video?

That was the thing I found weird driving in New Zealand. You get to a junction and are turning right - you have right of way over both the traffic coming straight at you and the traffic turning right. Seemed really illogical to me.
Old 12 November 2012, 01:27 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Law in Denmark to have dipped headlights on at all times. Does look strange sometimes when it's a sunny summers days and EVERY car has dipped headlights on.

Every car we've hired there, the lights come on regardless of the switch position.

I've also seen so many idiots driving in complete darkness without any lights at all in Sheffield recently. Unbelievable!
Old 12 November 2012, 01:48 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by PaulC72
My insignia has auto lights with a symbol showing they are on.

TBH automatic lights (with no off switch for some drivers) is the way forward ;-)
But think of the increased fuel consumption

Driving through low cloud in Yorkshire yesterday we saw loads of cars with no lights. I expect a majority through ignorance. But I bet a fair few have automatic lights that don't come on because it is still bright despite being poor visibility.
Old 12 November 2012, 01:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't see why it seems necessary to drive with headlights on during the day. If people cant see you in broad daylight and good visibility then I don't think they should be driving anyway.

Les
Old 12 November 2012, 02:36 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Leslie
Can't see why it seems necessary to drive with headlights on during the day. If people cant see you in broad daylight and good visibility then I don't think they should be driving anyway.

Les
Take care of your own safety, don't put it in the hands of someone else, who in your words shouldn't be driving. Prevention is best rather than possible injury and finger pointing at others you deem unfit.

Maybe other car manufacturers have a different interpretation of DRLs, if this thread is anything to go by, but in my experience they should come on automatically with ignition and only front lights are on, no rear lights, dash lights or number plate lights. They go off when either side lights, headlights or ignition off are chosen.

Quick Reply: Cars with No lights on except DRL