ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cars with No lights on except DRL (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/955744-cars-with-no-lights-on-except-drl.html)

shep ppp 11 November 2012 07:11 PM

Cars with No lights on except DRL

How many cars have you seen just with there day running lights on at night, have seen 2 tonight :brickwall

Moley 11 November 2012 07:28 PM

Seen a couple of cars recently with sidelights and foglights on

ALi-B 11 November 2012 07:32 PM

How about cars driving in the dark/dusk with no lights at all or just parking/side lights (dimmer than DRLs).

Been going on for years....usually with a woman sat 1cm away from the windscreen trying to see.

And whilst I'm here, people who drive on unlit lanes and don't bother using high beams.

And fogs when its clear.

And sat navs right in the middle of the field of view (directly infront of the driver)

And people who don't indicate, or worse exit off a roundabout with the right indicator still flashing.

And people who have no lane disapline on roundabouts

And people who don't understand the concept of turning right side to right side (i.e turning right behind the oncomming vehicle that is turning right).

And people who just can't drive.

etc.

Sorry...I appear to have wandered off on a tangent...:o

stevebt 11 November 2012 07:36 PM

I drive at just over 7am at the moment with no lights on my van altho it will change each day from now till end of december. When I leave the house at 7.05am I can see clearly for miles and street lighting is either off or on on a few lamps and in this light I see no reason to put my lights on.

JohnSmith 11 November 2012 08:19 PM

What year did Mercedes have the LED fog lights on as standard without any other lights ?

A lot of folk round here drive without lights on at night, but usually as they are stolen LOL

I blame the newer cars that have dashboard lights on contsantly making you think your lights are on

Scooby Soon! 11 November 2012 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 10864756)
I drive at just over 7am at the moment with no lights on my van altho it will change each day from now till end of december. When I leave the house at 7.05am I can see clearly for miles and street lighting is either off or on on a few lamps and in this light I see no reason to put my lights on.

would be interested to know if you think you would be less likely to be involved in a crash if:

A: drive with your lights on

B: drive with your lights off

PaulC72 11 November 2012 08:40 PM

My insignia has auto lights with a symbol showing they are on.

TBH automatic lights (with no off switch for some drivers) is the way forward ;-)

JohnSmith 11 November 2012 08:43 PM

and quite a number of highways now turn the 'street' lights off from midnight to 5 or 6am to save electric

LSherratt 11 November 2012 09:20 PM

Saw a car today through town at 6pm with no lights on at all, with kids in the car! Obviously the bimbo didn't notice and forgot to turn them on, relying only on town street lighting

salsa-king 11 November 2012 09:39 PM

the amount of pre 2011 cars who drive now with fog lights on (as the side lights are on too) thinking they are DLR's.
You only have to look atthe number plate and see the car's a 52plate etc to know the driver's pleb with Fogs on.

If I were a copper I'd have a field day writing tickets.

salsa-king 11 November 2012 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10864746)
How about cars driving in the dark/dusk with no lights at all or just parking/side lights (dimmer than DRLs).

Been going on for years....usually with a woman sat 1cm away from the windscreen trying to see.

And whilst I'm here, people who drive on unlit lanes and don't bother using high beams.

And fogs when its clear.

And sat navs right in the middle of the field of view (directly infront of the driver) also just next to the rear view mirros

And people who don't indicate, or worse exit off a roundabout with the right indicator still flashing.

And people who don't understand the concept of turning right side to right side (i.e turning right behind the oncomming vehicle that is turning right). driver side to driver side on slightly off set juctions gets me too.. and ppl look at you gone out when you try and do it properly

etc.

agreed, BOLD with things I've added

kingofturds 11 November 2012 09:47 PM

On my way to work at 5 in the morning I see cyclists with no lights at all:freak3:

**jay** 11 November 2012 09:50 PM

It does not matter if you can see for miles, its other people that cant see you, the amount of cars that over take me early morning with no light on is shocking, i drive an artic and it makes a huge difference in my mirror if a car has light on, especially if is raining and poor light.

Just makes driving a bit safer, hence why they have started putting drl on vehicles now.

super_ted 11 November 2012 09:54 PM

And fogs when its clear.

And sat navs right in the middle of the field of view (directly infront of the driver)

And people who don't understand the concept of turning right side to right side (i.e turning right behind the oncomming vehicle that is turning right).

etc.

And breath :thumb:

funkmasterjay 11 November 2012 10:09 PM

Frustrates the hell out of me. It's not just for drivers to 'see for miles'!. It's for drivers to be seen. All it takes is a little rainfall and it's hard to make out dark coloured cars behind etc.

Driving standards in this country is so pitiful it's untrue. We are a nation of 'bare minimum!'.

RobsyUK 11 November 2012 10:17 PM

I'm forever driving with just day lights on by accident! I turn the key and the LEDs are so bright they light my garage up. The dials all brightly light up (like an old car turning the lights on) and I have to remember to put the lights on.
I hate new cars for this

jasey 11 November 2012 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 10865072)
I'm forever driving with just day lights on by accident! I turn the key and the LEDs are so bright they light my garage up. The dials all brightly light up (like an old car turning the lights on) and I have to remember to put the lights on.
I hate new cars for this

With the DRLs and the Dashboard brightly illuminated it could be tricky to remember to put my lights on.

If I were a girl ;).

Just kidding - they have made it bad for new cars and knowing if your lights are on or off !

RobsyUK 12 November 2012 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by jasey (Post 10865100)
With the DRLs and the Dashboard brightly illuminated it could be tricky to remember to put my lights on.

If I were a girl ;).

Just kidding - they have made it bad for new cars and knowing if your lights are on or off !

Not only that but I always forget to turn them off too. Luckily the astra turns them off so the battery doesn't go flat.

Henrik 12 November 2012 08:14 AM

I always drive with headlights on, even in the middle of the day.

Seems insane *not* to use them if they might make someone see you just a tiny bit better.

ronjeramy 12 November 2012 08:26 AM

What I like about my Impreza is I can have the lights on all the time, as it switches them off when I urn off the ignition. :thumb:

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 12 November 2012 08:51 AM

I drive with full beams on at all times. Other people seem to appreciate it as when they drive past me they flash me in approval.

Oldun 12 November 2012 09:04 AM

I don't think that they are taught it any more, my kids told me off when I tried to tell them how to do it a few years ago.

urban 12 November 2012 10:59 AM

I drive at just over 7am at the moment with no lights on my van

It has to be pitch black then still.
Well it is where I live at that time.

Allan 12 November 2012 01:03 PM

Cars that only have front DRL shouldn't activate the dash lights, that way apart from not being able to see where you’re going, you would stand a better chance of realising you don't have your lights on.

My M.I.L's Polo is like that, although for DRL it switches on all the exterior lights, number plate included, which seems a bit daft.

P1Fanatic 12 November 2012 01:15 PM

I have auto lights but I generally try to put them on all the time unless its a summers days. So much easier to spot other cars especially when mixed with parked vehicles etc.

One that annoys me is mini-roundabouts. Three cars approach at the same time but the car whose right is clear ie the 4th exit/entry doesnt proceed so they just sit there no one moving.

P1Fanatic 12 November 2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Oldun (Post 10865282)
I don't think that they are taught it any more, my kids told me off when I tried to tell them how to do it a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaRKRM5zl9s

That video shows waiting in front of oncoming traffic that is also turning right. Or is that the point - it used to be one way but now its changed inline with that video?

That was the thing I found weird driving in New Zealand. You get to a junction and are turning right - you have right of way over both the traffic coming straight at you and the traffic turning right. Seemed really illogical to me.

CEL 12 November 2012 01:27 PM

Law in Denmark to have dipped headlights on at all times. Does look strange sometimes when it's a sunny summers days and EVERY car has dipped headlights on.

Every car we've hired there, the lights come on regardless of the switch position.

I've also seen so many idiots driving in complete darkness without any lights at all in Sheffield recently. Unbelievable!

speedking 12 November 2012 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by PaulC72 (Post 10864915)
My insignia has auto lights with a symbol showing they are on.

TBH automatic lights (with no off switch for some drivers) is the way forward ;-)

But think of the increased fuel consumption ;)

Driving through low cloud in Yorkshire yesterday we saw loads of cars with no lights. I expect a majority through ignorance. But I bet a fair few have automatic lights that don't come on because it is still bright despite being poor visibility.

Leslie 12 November 2012 01:56 PM

Can't see why it seems necessary to drive with headlights on during the day. If people cant see you in broad daylight and good visibility then I don't think they should be driving anyway.

Les

Spoon 12 November 2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10865609)
Can't see why it seems necessary to drive with headlights on during the day. If people cant see you in broad daylight and good visibility then I don't think they should be driving anyway.

Les

Take care of your own safety, don't put it in the hands of someone else, who in your words shouldn't be driving. Prevention is best rather than possible injury and finger pointing at others you deem unfit. :idea:

Maybe other car manufacturers have a different interpretation of DRLs, if this thread is anything to go by, but in my experience they should come on automatically with ignition and only front lights are on, no rear lights, dash lights or number plate lights. They go off when either side lights, headlights or ignition off are chosen.