Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Doctors do like to medicate..

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2012, 01:05 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doctors do like to medicate..

My wife on Saturday hurt her back. Didn't do anything specific, just got up and 'Ow!' and then was on the floor.

Good service from the NHS, a Doctor came out a little while later. And gave her an injection of Voltarol, Voltarol suppositories, diazepam tablets and Morphine suspended in liquid! Wow.

Yesterday she was suitably knocked out and incoherent to the world and today I think we will stop all of that as most of those things are VERY serious medication.
Old 04 November 2012, 01:25 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't you get addicted to daizapam
Old 04 November 2012, 01:53 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
No, but you can get addicted to diazepam
Old 04 November 2012, 02:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

It's valium isn't it, the house wives anti-depressant ?
Old 04 November 2012, 02:09 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the questions we have to ask, did you take advantage ? and did you take photos ?

C'mon this is serious now
Old 04 November 2012, 02:18 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
the questions we have to ask, did you take advantage ? and did you take photos ?

C'mon this is serious now

And if not, why not?
Old 04 November 2012, 04:51 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PMSL, I thought exactly the same thing when i read the first post, ie, did you smash her back doors in.
Old 04 November 2012, 04:53 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
And if not, why not?

Old 04 November 2012, 05:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I thought all that was part of their job!

Les
Old 04 November 2012, 05:49 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming on to this site with a view to questioning your GP's opinion?
Why go to the GP in the first place - cut out the middle man and come straight here - Moron central
Old 04 November 2012, 06:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
That's usually prescribed for Dyslexia....

Old 04 November 2012, 06:21 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
My wife on Saturday hurt her back. Didn't do anything specific, just got up and 'Ow!' and then was on the floor.

Good service from the NHS, a Doctor came out a little while later. And gave her an injection of Voltarol, Voltarol suppositories, diazepam tablets and Morphine suspended in liquid! Wow.

Yesterday she was suitably knocked out and incoherent to the world and today I think we will stop all of that as most of those things are VERY serious medication.

So you called the GP out because your wife was in so much pain she couldn't wait until Monday to visit the surgery? So the doctor gives her drugs to help you with it.

If she is in pain give her the drugs, if she isn't don't. It really is that simples, it's got nothing with doctors 'liking to medicate'

His approach to pain relief is actually refreshingly good for a GP. He has applied what's called 'multimodal analgesia' ie different drugs that work on different parts of the pain pathway to get the best pain relief with the least doses

1) Voltarol. Anti inflammatory

2) Diazepam. 'Muscle relaxant'

3) Morphine. Opiod
Old 04 November 2012, 06:31 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
So you called the GP out because your wife was in so much pain she couldn't wait until Monday to visit the surgery? So the doctor gives her drugs to help you with it.

If she is in pain give her the drugs, if she isn't don't. It really is that simples, it's got nothing with doctors 'liking to medicate'

His approach to pain relief is actually refreshingly good for a GP. He has applied what's called 'multimodal analgesia' ie different drugs that work on different parts of the pain pathway to get the best pain relief with the least doses

1) Voltarol. Anti inflammatory

2) Diazepam. 'Muscle relaxant'

3) Morphine. Opiod
Agree!
Old 04 November 2012, 07:37 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have thrown in some Gabapentin as well just to cover all the bases

Shaun
Old 04 November 2012, 07:58 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm with the others... You may never get a free back door entry again...
Old 04 November 2012, 08:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Maybe you can flog the spare to a passing junkie
Old 04 November 2012, 08:30 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I thought the service was great. I was just surprised at how easily those kind of things are prescribed.

As for the other comments, a little too much like this for me:

Old 04 November 2012, 10:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

It really is that simples

Old 04 November 2012, 10:05 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
I thought the service was great. I was just surprised at how easily those kind of things are prescribed.

As for the other comments, a little too much like this for me:

They are painkillers, your wife was in pain, what else did you expect the GP to do? Perhaps chant something, light some incense and give her a quick foot massage??
Old 04 November 2012, 10:30 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

a quick foot massage??
now you are talking,

a few years ago we met a trainee "reflexologist", whatever the fvck that is, and she insisted on coming around and massaging my wife's and my feet, soft music, candles -- the lot

fantastic and soo relaxing

(but she did wonder why i sat there stark bollok naked playing with myself, i guess I got the wrong end of the stick)
Old 06 November 2012, 07:27 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
now you are talking,

a few years ago we met a trainee "reflexologist", whatever the fvck that is, and she insisted on coming around and massaging my wife's and my feet, soft music, candles -- the lot

fantastic and soo relaxing

(but she did wonder why i sat there stark bollok naked playing with myself, i guess I got the wrong end of the stick)
Wouldn't that involve putting your hand up your own **** ?
Old 07 November 2012, 12:08 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I'd have thrown in some Gabapentin as well just to cover all the bases

Shaun
That stuff seems to give me some form of psychosis. Certainly numbs the pain though!
Old 08 November 2012, 08:44 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Having lately fell into depression due to personal matters, I went to my doc's and told him what was wrong with me, as I needed something to help me focus as I couldn't remember to do the simple things like eat or get up for work, I even gave up things I enjoy like going to the gym. He confirmed that I was not in a good place and prescribed me some anti-depressants.

Within a few days my mind was numbed to my personal matters and instead I turned into a paranoid sucidial wreck. After mentally working out how I was going to end it and nearly burning myself on the wrist with my iron as I wanted to feel the pain, I thought **** this and stopped taking the tablets. I hated the fact I couldn't feel my pain anymore, I actually missed it as it was important to me..

Moral of the story it was probably easier/cheaper/quicker for the doc to medicate me rather than provide counselling. Now I'm dealing with my depression slowly myself with the help of good friends. Won't be back to the doc's anytime soon.
Old 08 November 2012, 11:04 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Mate, been there and I'm going through the same thing, have been for a while. Its horrible isn't it.

Some of these anti-depressants do cause suicidal feelings and it also angers me that the first thing the docs seem to turn to for mental illness issues is pills.

I was placed on some that made me hallucinate so I took myself off of them and moved to another variant, still felt weird so I came off them too.

I've been waiting for counselling for 2 years and I've been asking for someone to talk to about a few things; my having nearly being killed by someone in a hit and run accident when I was ten, believe it or not I was hit at 80mph by a volvo estate who left me to die a week before xmas, leaving my father to scoop me off the road as five cars following it just drove around me, but luckily it only smashed my arm to bits, nearly ripped it off and skimmed my body causing internal damage to my kidney with the prospect of having a crippled arm which did in fact, in the consultants words, miraculously heal. I swear I have ptsd from that as I never got over it and the rage, flashbacks, hatred of the world that pops up and then dissipates is massively scary as I'm usually a lovely guy with lots of friends. That, coupled with a weird upbringing that I'm not going into, my dad going nuts with allsorts of mental issues, mum dieing of cancer and then having to prepare her body myself, as the mortuary would not fulfill the final requests (painting my mothers nails when she was cold and dead was no walk in the park) and a suicide attempt that was supposed to work when I was 17 (a months supply of atenolol should normally do the trick, it didn't, I'm not religious but apparently someone is looking out for me). And a few other issues have been met with the doctors going on the angle of just changing my brain chemistry with pills rather than time to talk it out and confront my demons. Probably why I'm sitting here, with a few beers in me, outpouring to no one and everyone.

But Jamz3k I really do know where you are coming from and feel free to pm me some time if you need, no worries if you dont't though!

I'm pushing for better treatment and acknowledgment of a need to set things straight before that timebomb goes off. Shame it feels like no one listens and with regards talking to doctors I may as well be speaking to a cold sheet of surgical steel!

Problem is I'm also high functioning and good at acting like all is ok, so the charm kicks in during conversation and seems to obscure the view of my probs, contradictions-a-plenty so it's just a bizarre situation. I have no family but my brother who is down here and my lovely family who are all the way up in Scotland who I don't want to burden with my problems which is just daft, I know!

All I need is someone to sit down and talk to but apparently I cannot be categorised and they keep trying to put me on anger management and bereavement counselling but I'm still waiting or have to pay £50 per short session. I think I need yhe lot at once but what do they care, I just dont understand why nothing is done as I repeatedly ask for help!

Sorry for the massivebpost, was a bit cathartic but I felt like I needed that! :s
Old 08 November 2012, 11:27 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Or maybe I should just button down and get on with it like we all used to, stiff upper lip etc. Conflicted, lol.
What would Leslie do? I reckon he has the answers, legend :-)

Boxt, really sorry for the thread hijack, I hope the wifes back is better now!
Old 08 November 2012, 11:55 PM
need4speeduk
Scooby Regular

Sadly it's seems many GP's answer to everything. Haven't got the time to do a proper examination so pop a pill.

Don't suppose they actually gave you a diagnosis to the cause of said pain, or a follow up plan?
Old 09 November 2012, 07:21 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by need4speeduk
Sadly it's seems many GP's answer to everything. Haven't got the time to do a proper examination so pop a pill.

Don't suppose they actually gave you a diagnosis to the cause of said pain, or a follow up plan?

Read the original post, be realistic and get a grip.

The duty doc was called out over the weekend to try and help somebody in pain. All he can realistically do in that scenario is exclude anything life threatening and treat the pain.

Anything further needs to be sorted out later. The patient can go and see her regular doc during the week and take things further if needed.
Old 09 November 2012, 07:48 AM
need4speeduk
Scooby Regular

Read the original post, be realistic and get a grip.

The duty doc was called out over the weekend to try and help somebody in pain. All he can realistically do in that scenario is exclude anything life threatening and treat the pain.

Anything further needs to be sorted out later. The patient can go and see her regular doc during the week and take things further if needed.
Get a grip?

What's unrealistic about asking if they got a follow up plan? As for the drugs prescribed, completely over medicated. You don't go dishing out drugs like oramorph just because someone has back pain ffs.

Normal GP hours Mon-Fri mean she would have got a different treatment does it? You still get a 10-15 minute appointment.

WTF can you diagnose in that time? If you're doing the job properly it will take that time just to the HPC & PMH.
Old 09 November 2012, 06:56 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by need4speeduk
Get a grip?

What's unrealistic about asking if they got a follow up plan? As for the drugs prescribed, completely over medicated. You don't go dishing out drugs like oramorph just because someone has back pain ffs.

Normal GP hours Mon-Fri mean she would have got a different treatment does it? You still get a 10-15 minute appointment.

WTF can you diagnose in that time? If you're doing the job properly it will take that time just to the HPC & PMH.

You do need to get a grip and remember you are NOT a doctor. Just because you have some crappy biomedical sciences degree does not mean you can diagnose or treat patients or have any real idea about what it takes to do so.

You have neither the training, experience or suitable registration.

All very well to jibber jabber nonsense on the internet when you have never actually had the burden of responsibility for a patients well being.

Sorry my friend but you need a reality check
Old 09 November 2012, 07:14 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Casting pearls .......

Quick Reply: Doctors do like to medicate..