Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speeding in France

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2012, 10:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Speeding in France

Here I am in Bordeaux and it appears that my partner in crime got flashes by temporary speed trap. Doing 115kph in a 110 or maybe a 90 kph limit - hard to say with all the varying speed limit signs on that section of road

Anyhoo take it on the chin, but where and how? will we get stopped at the boarder in Calais or will it happen next time we go back to France (next year), or do we wait for a fine in the post?

I know loads of people ask these questions but everything I found on google is like five years old, I need to know what is the current procedure.

Any help TIA

Last edited by ALi-B; 31 October 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 31 October 2012, 10:35 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think they ever managed to get the inter country fine system going - even though the law was changed to allow for it.

I think, as far as I know, unless you were stopped and fined, or stopped and they took your driving licence with the intention of fining you later then the chances of anything coming of it are very slim.

I have been flashed many, many, many times in France and never heard anything. I always try and stick to the limits - and in towns and villages I always do but I have found the motorways have random 90 zones with very little in the way of signs - most often just one single sign - so with the cruise set at 130 its very easy to waft into a speed trap well over the limit.
Old 31 October 2012, 11:04 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

In feb 2011 I was stopped by a copper and had to pay cash. Was flashed in a 90 doing 160 and pooed myself. Sneaked on the ferry and have heard nothing since.

Read on the net that in jan this year England n France would share details but don't know if they have.

I was also told that they wait for you to return and bust you then... But I've sold the car
Old 01 November 2012, 12:35 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got flashed once in France when a group of us were steaming back to catch the train. Never heard anything and I've been back twice since in the same car and not had any issues.

Just have to wait and see I guess.
Old 01 November 2012, 12:52 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Nothing will happen. I've been flashed numerous times by autoroute cameras in France (as they are grey and usually partly hidden, sometimes I get bored of looking for them). Unless it's a mobile trap and you get pulled by the car or bikes up the road you'll hear nothing. An exception may be doing some outrageous speed (say 140mph+) where they might try and collar you later but I haven't tried that yet. 120mph+ can get your car confiscated if they stop you.
Scandinavia is a different story. They did chase me up back here.
Old 01 November 2012, 07:48 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers.

It was a mobile trap insome road works. The a63 is being upgraded over a 100km stretch and the speed limits are constantly going up and down

I'expect we'll get pulled on one of the tolls knowing my luck.
Old 01 November 2012, 12:39 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

We travel in France a lot - I'm just south of Bordeaux again this week - as already stated, I've never had one follow me home. Unless they stop you at the time and take the money you should be ok.

One day I'm sure they will get it working, but so far, so good

As long as you're in a UK registered car that is - hire car fines will come and find you......

Last edited by alistair; 01 November 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01 November 2012, 01:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Don't you think that doing 160 in a 90 section was taking the **** just a bit?

Les
Old 01 November 2012, 01:21 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

We have been to France every year for God knows how long as my parents have a house in Brittany. I have been flashed loads of times and nothing has happened, but we do poo ourselves when you see the bikes on bridges, means they're there to get you after an earlier speed trap. Even on toll roads we've gone faster than recommended and not had any problems.
Old 01 November 2012, 07:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I was flashed in May/June this year and have heard nothing. I was very well behaved the whole trip and kept my cool well given the awful standard of driving common in France, but when a guy almost touched my rear bumper as we were passing a slip exit, moved out and passed, then nearly took the front bumper off as he sliced back across to actually use the slip we were now almost past instead of just slowing a little and leaving behind me I saw red and lost track of my speed. Seconds later I got flashed as I passed under the bridge for the junction where this happened
Old 01 November 2012, 07:47 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Don't lose sleep mate you won't hear nothing unless you live in France and the car is registered over there.
Old 01 November 2012, 08:45 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Speeding in France

Thoroughly recommend it
Old 01 November 2012, 10:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

UK reg car. Usually do the jaunt in a spainish reg car, so a bit unfamiliar. Got flashed AGAIN today, fixed camera today, not me again - I was just about to say "going a bit fast" then flash.

So maybe it's just as well.. At this rate i Think it's my turn to get flashed now Knowing my luck I'll get done on the m25.
Old 02 November 2012, 12:56 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

I'm off to Arras in March - Convoy Style - Will Warn the drivers to keep the speed sensible.
Old 02 November 2012, 09:35 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Another thing I've since learned is now gps based camera warnings on sat navs is now illegal (radar detectors were already banned). I've got mine disabled anyway as its that inaccurate/out of date it's pointless.

My advice is keep a look out inthe 110 and 90 ( and below) limits, especially at the approach to tolls, junctions/cross roads on rural dual carriage ways and road works. And latch onto a local doing similar speed ( not too fast mind) and use them as heads up - if they slow down, you slow down. Works for me, didn't work for the other two drivers though

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 November 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04 November 2012, 11:14 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

two points:

First off, you'll hear nowt.

Second, should she be driving at ALL? She's obviously NOT paying attention. ALL French speed cameras are signed beforehand, all you do when you see the sign is slow to the limit and look for the camera, then back up to whatever speed. The cameras are at roadside, grey, behind an armco and have black and yellow tape along the edges. Easy enough to spot.

Doesn't work for Mr le Flic with his laser glasses though.........
Old 04 November 2012, 12:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've just set cruise to the speed limit, and ease off 20 when it's raining hard
Can't be bothered anything else, monsuier et madam was with their 6 kids in their people carriers desperate to get past can just wait
Old 04 November 2012, 12:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

To be fair and in defence we are talking about two different drivers, one of which who although is a fair bit older, is generally an excellent driver (probably better than Pete, at least ). So observational awareness/vision at night vision on a unlit road isn't going to be as good as someone who is younger. Especially when its on a RHD car with the headlamps adapted for driving on the continent, which on this particular car generally makes them pretty poo when on dipped beam. Combined by being dazzled by oncomming drivers who are using high beam (I generally blind them back until they get the hint, but I wasn't driving ).

That said. I had driven for well over 3hours shortly beforehand; Including battling through Rouen in the middle of a funfair blocking the mainbridge over the River Seine with idiots parking in the middle of the road and gridlocking junctions (and I thought Paris was bad for traffic/driving). So if I was driving instead, my fatigue would have made my observation skills just as bad, if not worse, so I wouldn't have been safe to drive further with me behind the wheel.

Anyhoo, the mobile trap had no prior warning. The fixed one probably did, but unlit road and no "kick up" to the right doesn't make sign spotting so easy IMO, the camera was a rear facing one hidden behind a pillar to a bridge. Usually they are forward facing.

Still no excuse, I know...as I said, if they get fined or points, its no skin off my nose. Just need to know the 'correct' way of handling it, as if I recall it is usually cheaper if any fine is paid within xx amount of days. Sometimes its better to be honest than 'pretend' to be nieve.

So glad I replaced the wiper blades though, even though they are the incorrect ones. I had to race around a few hours before leaving to find some as when I drove it (first time for a months) to get some diesel I found they were knackered so vision at night was impossible as as anything lit caused the light to scatter and refract, even after cleaning/degreasing the screen and blades.

BMW specific aero-blades. Made by Bosch...would the universal Bosch Aero blades fit? Ha! No chance - same blade, different clips...I had to bodge the clips to get tem to fit, so they look crap, and I couldn't get a 25" blade so had to make do with a 24". But at least I could actually see when its raining.

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 November 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04 November 2012, 12:58 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ha, yes can imagine that bridge in rush hour/ occasion, think we've managed to so far
Old 04 November 2012, 01:19 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

i may have been flashed in belgium last week... we shall what what happens. been flashed in france in the past with any recourse
Old 04 November 2012, 05:12 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In the past i have been flashed everywhere on my way to croatia the route i take is, france, belgium, luxemburge, germany and austria sometimes, switzerland,italy,slovienia, never heard a dickie bird.

But since i heard about €250 cash on the spot fines, i stick to the speed limits everywhere, just not worth it for the small amount of time saved and the concentration required, as in constantly being on the look out for cameras and traps for 20hrs is a bit tiresome.
Old 04 November 2012, 05:42 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

Not France, but I was flashed in the Netherlands. They sent me a fine in the post, 140 EUR if I remember correctly. I ignored it, was written in Dutch and thought nothing of it. Ignored a further 2 with increasing fines each time.

Next time I arrived in Amsterdam, was flagged and then pulled by customs and put into a holding room until I had paid the fine, 450 EUR

Lesson learnt.
Old 04 November 2012, 05:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its easier, and cheaper to drive at the speed limits!

Les
Old 04 November 2012, 07:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Ha, just came back through Rouen yesterday, got snarled up in that traffic, wife says, go in the outside lane, it's moving quicker, so I do.

except we get to a junction and I have to go straight on instead of being allowed to turn right........

So......out through Bois Guillaume, Bihorel, Quincampoix and Les Hautes Poiriers on the old N28, now D928, before finding the A28 again.....about 45 minutes lost

Luckily, I remembered a lot of it from YEARS ago.......

But what fekkin idiot decides to close a bridge, then route ALL the traffic going NE through a fekkin FUNFAIR?????????

Last edited by alcazar; 04 November 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05 November 2012, 07:37 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

LOL, you have my sympathies. Its a mess there.

I know which stretch you're on about; I was very tempted to use the left lane too and try and negate the back roads round, but after a vote, I stuck it out in the middle lane. As I knew I'd need a right lane at some point to get across the next bridge.

Even though you can turn right in teh middle lane, it was impossible due to the idiots at the crossroads blocking the junction. Turns out the right lane wasn't moving because the HGVs need two lanes to be able to make the right turn over the next bridge and nobody was giving way for them.

Then once over the bridge its still chaos as a lane is shut on the main road going out of Rouen.

Still took the best part of a hour for something that usually takes 10 minutes.

John was that peeved off he said if Iran want to test their new Nukes, they can test it here. What did amaze me, nobody blew there horns, bar one person. I thought it was customary in French tradition to treat the horn button like a toddler's toy.

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 November 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05 November 2012, 07:54 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Just looked at google traffic and it says all is well across the CLOSED bridge

Well, yeah, there ain't going be any traffic on there if its closed
Old 05 November 2012, 09:39 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I found that a) changing car from something that did 45+mpg to something that does 35mpg and b) leaving plenty of time both had a beneficial effect on how I approached French motorways. That & getting an auto-toll device which means that you re-overtook all the people that had raced past you at the tolls

I'm no shrinking violet when it comes to speed but getting stopped by French police is more effort that the time gain won. However, Irish speed camera vans I just cba with - 3AM on a wide empty road that is straight for 2 miles? Who is he kidding!
Old 04 January 2013, 08:50 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by richardg
i may have been flashed in belgium last week... we shall what what happens. been flashed in france in the past with any recourse
No news is good news....especially as I'm going back there in a few weeks
Old 04 January 2013, 09:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

LOL, driving into Bellac one morning, VERY early, after an overnight run from Calais, I drove past a camera I KNEW was there, so shot it the finger as I went past.

I was then chagrined to see it go off and glance down to see I was doing 40 in a 30.....just getting light.

Never heard owt though....