Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What constitutes Alcoholism?

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2012, 10:33 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What constitutes Alcoholism?

I did a tot-up of my average weekly intake in units terms, and got a bit of a fright. Basically I have 3 or 4 can s of 'driving lager' a night. That adds up to about 50-60 a week, about double the recommended amount.

I don't feel that I HAVE to drink, but it makes me fairly relaxed in the evening after the usual commuting and stresses and strains of work.

Does this make me an alcoholic - I mean what really constitutes alcoholism?

Thoughts?
Old 17 October 2012, 10:35 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Booze costs so much heart acre and problems in the world

One of my staff is on permanent sick because of it such a waste of her life
I have not had a drop since march and won't be drinking untill next June when I'm on holiday again

Last edited by lordharding; 17 October 2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 17 October 2012, 10:38 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

'driving larger'? i have about 3 tins of strongbow a night. my mrs calls me an alky lol
id say you are an only alky if you need it all day everyday, that said if we 'like' it every night it is kinda a dependency.
Old 17 October 2012, 10:41 PM
Lisawrx

Technically, it probably does.

I would say alcoholism is when somebody cannot function without alcohol. Can you? I mean, you say you don't HAVE to drink, but you do....Do you ever go a day without?

I'm personally similar to you, and don't think of myself as an alcoholic. I think for me, having a couple in the evening is just winding down, to be honest, a habit.

Maybe there is a fine line between habit and addiction, maybe some would argue it's the same thing.

So, in conclusion, I don't really know.
Old 17 October 2012, 10:49 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

I'd back it off before it spirals mate, cut it down to every other night instead to start with, if you cant then you know its an adiction
Old 17 October 2012, 11:02 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I did a tot-up of my average weekly intake in units terms, and got a bit of a fright. Basically I have 3 or 4 can s of 'driving lager' a night. That adds up to about 50-60 a week, about double the recommended amount.

I don't feel that I HAVE to drink, but it makes me fairly relaxed in the evening after the usual commuting and stresses and strains of work.

Does this make me an alcoholic - I mean what really constitutes alcoholism?

Thoughts?
you feel like YOU desrve it

was exactly the same until mid August when I totally gave up drinking Monday to Friday - feel much better and have lost a stone

And old friend worked for the WHO, said they define dependency as the inability to give up something for four consecutive days, for four consecutive weeks.
Old 17 October 2012, 11:02 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Have you ever felt you needed to cut down on your drinking?

Have people annoyed you by criticising your drinking?

Have you ever felt guilty about drinking?

Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (Eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?
Old 17 October 2012, 11:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I stopped for a month earlier this year, was dead easy, try it, you need to rule drink, not the other way round.

I try not to drink at all in the week and then have three or four beers and no more, it is insidious booze, it creeps up on you, it makes you feel crap and you dont realise it, my thinking is anything that you put in to feel better or different always has an equal and opposite effect, the better it is, the bigger the buzz, the worse it leaves you, it is why Heroin is best avoided, am sure it makes you feel awesome but it leaves you with a big debt to pay physically.
Old 17 October 2012, 11:10 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Technically, it probably does.

I would say alcoholism is when somebody cannot function without alcohol. Can you? I mean, you say you don't HAVE to drink, but you do....Do you ever go a day without?

I'm personally similar to you, and don't think of myself as an alcoholic. I think for me, having a couple in the evening is just winding down, to be honest, a habit.

Maybe there is a fine line between habit and addiction, maybe some would argue it's the same thing.

So, in conclusion, I don't really know.
^Good post.

^ This bit is the bit that relates to one's dependency on alcohol; adding the -ism factor to it. One may not HAVE to drink, but if one misses it, and can't unwind without it, one is apparently an alky- they say.
Old 17 October 2012, 11:16 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

its going to be different for every person mate.

habit/addiction can be closely linked, and usually habit can lead to dependancy.

humans are creatures of habit - it provides routine/structure and we are programmed to live like that. alcohol can be addictive to many - and is often played down in its health effects, and also through social acceptance and tradition.

if you feel you may have a problem speak to a professional and assess your feelings about it - does your consumption negativley affect family life/work or relationships? that would be a bit of a giveaway.
others can drink regularly with little impact - its imact on an individual is so variable that there is no general 1 rule fits all answer mate
Old 17 October 2012, 11:17 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
you feel like YOU desrve it

was exactly the same until mid August when I totally gave up drinking Monday to Friday - feel much better and have lost a stone

And old friend worked for the WHO, said they define dependency as the inability to give up something for four consecutive days, for four consecutive weeks.
The thing is I spent 20 years of my adult life hardly drinking at all.

I started drinking more when I gave up smoking (about 4 years ago) - I do have quite an addictive personality.

I still can't decide whether I really need a drink, or really want one - I think there's a difference.

I never drink during the day, and never think about drinking when I'm not.

Also I would rarely if ever get 'drunk'

I think the abstinence approach may be need.
Old 17 October 2012, 11:19 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
its going to be different for every person mate.

habit/addiction can be closely linked, and usually habit can lead to dependancy.

humans are creatures of habit - it provides routine/structure and we are programmed to live like that. alcohol can be addictive to many - and is often played down in its health effects, and also through social acceptance and tradition.

if you feel you may have a problem speak to a professional and assess your feelings about it - does your consumption negativley affect family life/work or relationships? that would be a bit of a giveaway.
others can drink regularly with little impact - its imact on an individual is so variable that there is no general 1 rule fits all answer mate
No impact whatsoever on my family life, and I'm not just saying that - but I think I just replaced a cigarette addiction with an alcohol one
Old 17 October 2012, 11:23 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Guidelines are two booze-free days per week.

Most people drink a lot more than they admit to, doctors apparently treble what they're told, which i find amazing.

Obviously your sex, size, age and general health will play a big part in determining what your body can cope with. And the more regular a drinker you are, the more enzymes you have to process it, but don't use that as an excuse. Binge drinking for the occasional drinker is the worst, it puts a massive pressure on the liver to perform.

For nights when i need a drink-free evening, i make a point of having a fruity flavoured soft drink, that generally puts me off reaching for the bottom shelf of the fridge thereafter.
Old 17 October 2012, 11:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

..........but I think I just replaced a cigarette addiction with an alcohol one
You have a good understanding of yourself on this matter. This can make the task much easier for you. Finding an adaptive addiction to replace the maladaptive one will help. Good luck.
Old 17 October 2012, 11:39 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

No impact whatsoever on my family life, and I'm not just saying that - but I think I just replaced a cigarette addiction with an alcohol one
Since I gave up the smokes I generally have a beer a night. I had a few last night and a couple during the football this afternoon, but will go a week now and again without a beer just to make sure I'm in charge. I'm conscious of it in the same way as others are; I've seen the damage alcoholism can do. Iirc, a pint or a glass of red of an evening can offer some health benefits. Maybe worth cutting back a little if you feel like it.
Old 17 October 2012, 11:42 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

I work offshore so 2 weeks out of every 5 I don't have a drop.
I come home and tend to go out thu, fri, sat and Sunday.
Probably consume 80 units easily in those four days. I do tend to find on a Sunday I need a few beers to feel normal again.

I never ever drink in the house and tend to just go out due to probably being bored. My mrs is away for a few days so pretty bored but decided instead of going to the pub I would get on with the impreza and in 2 days I have removed the engine and box and stripped the engine. Tomorrow I have to get the car rolling as its going to a new home on fri

Good news is the 2.1 stroker engine and PPG box I removed is going in the P1 over the winter
Old 17 October 2012, 11:48 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

for me really true alcoholism means, drinking in morning, where its overcome the rest of your life

maybe a bit extreme, but its my thoughts.

binge drinking damages health, but the hangover/come down usuaully enough to stop it being a daily event.

right/wrong?
Old 17 October 2012, 11:52 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Very easy.

Drink only two days a week.

I don't now, but when I was doing a bottle of vodka a night (stress related, from five tours in 'stan) I found my days were there to get me to my "evenings of chilling out". I.e. any excuse to drink heavily.

Make drinking a treat rather than routine, then you'll be fine.

The big flag for me was thinking mid-afternoon whether I had enough booze in the house for "tonight".

Be careful, the slope gets steeper.

Cheers

Ian
Old 18 October 2012, 12:08 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by jef
for me really true alcoholism means, drinking in morning, where its overcome the rest of your life

maybe a bit extreme, but its my thoughts.

binge drinking damages health, but the hangover/come down usuaully enough to stop it being a daily event.

right/wrong?
I'm not sure that always has to be the case.

I think, becoming an alcoholic is when the line is crossed between 'just' a habit to can't go without, whatever time of day the drink comes.

As I've (and you) said that line is probably very fine.

Binge drinking is always a funny one, what do you class as binging? On paper, having 3/4 pints of regular lager/beer would be classed as binging as it is way above the daily limit, but for many people, they wouldn't even get tipsy on that, let alone have a hangover that would put them off doing it all again the next night.
Old 18 October 2012, 12:32 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I have always seen it as if, when you wake up, the first thing you need is a drink, if you cannot face the world or do anything else until that drink is done, you have a problem.
Old 18 October 2012, 12:47 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I'm not sure that always has to be the case.

I think, becoming an alcoholic is when the line is crossed between 'just' a habit to can't go without, whatever time of day the drink comes.

As I've (and you) said that line is probably very fine.

Binge drinking is always a funny one, what do you class as binging? On paper, having 3/4 pints of regular lager/beer would be classed as binging as it is way above the daily limit, but for many people, they wouldn't even get tipsy on that, let alone have a hangover that would put them off doing it all again the next night.
hmmm i agree to an extent - its really impossible to define on a general scale tbh - habitual behaviour is often the start of the addiction process - alcohol is a drug which can often become heavily addictive - but it depends on the perosns make up, state of mind, enviroment, ect so many influencing factors that its impossible to have a general rule .

my points were just what personally id consider a problem with addiction was evident. as with all drugs, it has so many variables that a single rule can never be used to cover all. either way for me alcohol is one of the only drugs where an increase in violence or aggressive behaviour can be a consequence, therefore making it especially dangerous in many cases - yet its still deemed socially acceptable???
Old 18 October 2012, 12:51 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
I have always seen it as if, when you wake up, the first thing you need is a drink, if you cannot face the world or do anything else until that drink is done, you have a problem.
Hidden drinkers are also a huge concern for their family, friends and for their doctor.
Old 18 October 2012, 01:05 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by jef
either way for me alcohol is one of the only drugs where an increase in violence or aggressive behaviour can be a consequence, therefore making it especially dangerous in many cases - yet its still deemed socially acceptable???
That does appear to be the case.

I'm not an expert, so can't say the exact reason for that. It's obviously the way alcohol can affect the brain. I think it must be 'in someone' to begin with to behave that way, alcohol just gets rid of the inhibitions.

I would say the reason why it is still socially acceptable, is for how many drinkers there are out there, the problem is still probably quite small, relatively speaking. Most people can manage to have a drink or ten and not turn into some lunatic.
Old 18 October 2012, 03:18 AM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Being as you've thought to tot it up, and the figure has scared you, I'd suggest that perhaps you know in your heart of hearts you're drinking too much.

That level of alcohol intake WILL negatively impact your health in the long run.

Perhaps speak to your GP if you respond well to medical people telling you what to do. Or, if you feel you can manage the situation yourself then you'll need to find a way to divert your attention and change your behaviour.

I think feeling like you "need" drink to relax, and routinely drinking that amount on your own, for no reason, is probably to top of a slippery slope. You'd do well to nip it in the bud before it does start to rule your life and ruin your relationships and health.
Old 18 October 2012, 07:27 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The thing is I spent 20 years of my adult life hardly drinking at all.

I started drinking more when I gave up smoking (about 4 years ago) - I do have quite an addictive personality.

I still can't decide whether I really need a drink, or really want one - I think there's a difference.

I never drink during the day, and never think about drinking when I'm not.

Also I would rarely if ever get 'drunk'

I think the abstinence approach may be need.

My problem is that I love drink, wine with food and beer - I would just be heartbroken if I had to give it up, if it really became a problem,

To me this would be way before the need for a drink in the morning

At least work culture now means we never drink during the weekdays, even a friday drink is rare,

My drinking was solely confined to the evening after work - where I felt the overwhelming desire to simply sit down put the radio on an read the paper with a beer, then have dinner with my wife and a glass of wine (who does not drink at all)

I feel your pain - try just abstaining on Monday thru wednesday

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 18 October 2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 18 October 2012, 07:45 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

If it's the first thing you reach for in the morning and the last thing before you go to bed you've got a alcohol problem.
Old 18 October 2012, 07:56 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I have probably 5 cans a month! Then if I go out that probably doubles... I love soft drinks (non pop) too much. Orange squash any day please.
Old 18 October 2012, 08:49 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Putting the label alcoholic to one side.
Count up the number of units you drink each night and you're probably "bingeing" as the medical people like to label it. In fact you're probably in the "more likely to suffer..." than the "less likely to suffer..." - from longer term health problems, assuming your lager is the modern 5% stuff rather than old-timers Skol or even Carling.

I recently found an article trying "zone" alcohol intake by units imbibed to possible risk. Useless, that I can't now find it.

Anyways more than 4-5 units per day for more than 3 nights a week was one level...
More than 8-10 units per day for more than three nights a week was the more risky level.

J.
Old 18 October 2012, 09:59 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by lordharding
Booze costs so much heart acre and problems in the world

One of my staff is on permanent sick because of it such a waste of her life
I have not had a drop since march and won't be drinking untill next June when I'm on holiday again
Acre ? what has Israel done wrong now.
Old 18 October 2012, 11:07 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd say a proper alci never sobbers up, and critically has gone past enjoying the activity if they ever did