Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

prefab insurance

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2012, 09:15 PM
flat4 to the floor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prefab insurance

I am hoping someone can be of help,We have been gifted a HAWKSLEY prefab bungalow which we have now moved into.The trouble is that we had been with morethan in previous property and expected to be able to swap over to new place with buildings and contents.They dont cover prefab buildings so we are at present sat with no buildings or contents cover. For anyone who doesnt know these where built as affordable homes after the war for returning troops whose houses had been destroyef during air raids.They only built so many so i dont expect everyone to know the type of buildings they are.

In a nutshell and on the off chance anyone know who would cover or maybe have a friend or relative who may be in one and could pass on insurer details.
thanks.
Old 16 October 2012, 01:08 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't help but I remember all the prefabs built in Hull just after the war. All been knocked down now.

Didn't know there were any left

Shaun
Old 16 October 2012, 01:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sorry about the insurance problem,seems unfair to me. Hope you can get sorted anyway.

I seem to remember that those post war prefabs were supposed to be pretty reasonable quality. We knew someone who lived in one for quite some time and they were happy with it.

Les
Old 16 October 2012, 01:36 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Had no idea

Are they the concrete clapper board type? My sister was born in one these, drafty apparently ( I was 2 when we were renting one ) , I think the steel reinforcing explodes after time with the alkali in the concrete presumably
Old 16 October 2012, 06:15 PM
flat4 to the floor
Scooby Regular

Midlife, a few left in lincoln but they are scarce now..
Leslie, its a palace and so much room compared to what we had.
Dpb, they where full front panels not the sectionals you are thinking of,the big issue is the footings that where shallow as they had intenions of being short term,but turned into permanent.
Old 17 October 2012, 02:43 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slightly off the wall thought, but a question anyway... Is it an option to go without buildings insurance? Many buildings insurance claims are for relatively minor costs, and if the whole thing was destroyed you'd still have the plot and would hopefully be able to rebuild something insurable? What about risks to others if you didn't have insurance?
Old 17 October 2012, 04:12 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Did you bother with Google before posting?

http://www.homeprotect.co.uk/non-sta...FebLtAod6nUAZQ

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 17 October 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 17 October 2012, 05:12 PM
flat4 to the floor
Scooby Regular

John, it wouldnt be at all advisable tbh as it is attatched to another property so has further issues other than just my place,but thanks.

David,you sir are a star,thankyou.
I did search around and used comparisons with the usual score of get right to the end and a COMPUTER SAYS NO RESPONSE.
Old 24 October 2012, 09:34 AM
hawksley owner
Scooby Newbie

Default Prefab insurance

HI. We own a Hawksley prefab and have had problems insuring in latter years as more and more are knocked down in favour of high density housing. This year I could only find 2 insurers, one of which wanted over £400. We have insured with the other, Swinton who were considerably less in price.
Our Hawksley has been in the family since they were built in 1950. There are still clusters of them around the country, although many have been bricked up or stone clad. Examples that I am aware of are in Letchworth, Peterborough, Chelmsford, Sawston. Redditch, Lincoln, Barry Island, Ellesmere Port, Scunthorpe.