Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog owners will understand......

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2012, 01:11 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog owners will understand......

How fecking horrible it feels when you say goodbye to an old friend.

Had to have our sweet little Cavalier put down today. Old age had caught up with her. She has given us nearly 15 years of pure delight and happiness.

David

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...et/11Today.jpg

On her last birthday
Old 13 October 2012, 01:15 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I'm really sorry to hear that David.
Old 13 October 2012, 01:17 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this David. They demand your love and attention, then break your heart.

Lovely looking dog.

Had my Cocker Spaniel put down a few years back. Dreading when my Lab goes.
Won't stop me having another though.

Dan
Old 13 October 2012, 01:22 PM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

So sorry to here your little cavi has gone through rainbow bridge (((hugs))) we have a cavi and they are like our real babies. i cant begin to imagine how you are feeling right now and am dreading the day when we have to part with our Hari.

Thinking of you and your family xxx
Old 13 October 2012, 01:27 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that, David. Lovely picture there. Our pets are our best friends, never forgotten. You have her precious memories to hold on to. Take it Easy.
Old 13 October 2012, 01:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thank you so much guys and gals. I wasn't going to post but it is nice to read your words, so much appreciated.

They're worse that kids aren't they? As kids grow older they need you less but as dogs get older they need you more and more.

David
Old 13 October 2012, 02:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is heartbreaking but 15 years is a very good age for a King Charles, you will have alot of fond memories to look back on

Tony
Old 13 October 2012, 02:15 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that David.

We have a Cavalier King Charles - same colour - she's 4 now, bought for my daughters birthday when she was 9 and the bond they have is amazing.

We all adore her, she's perfect in every way and I dread it when the time will come to say goodbye....there will be tears, lots of them, but the most amazing memories too.

Ro.
Old 13 October 2012, 02:19 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Its heartbreaking isnt it, they really do become almost one of the family. I'm still feeling a upset 2 months on when ever I see a rottie, after having to have mine put down due to spinal injuries after it was clipped by a car.
Think of all the good things you did with you dog and get a nice picture done of it.

Richard
Old 13 October 2012, 02:20 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

They're worse that kids aren't they? As kids grow older they need you less but as dogs get older they need you more and more.

David

They indeed are, David. It is their dependency that us humans thrive on. It is so nice to be needed in such a way they need us. Their humility; their vulnerability; their loyalty; their innocence; their unconditional love and the connection form a Me and My Shadow relationship with us.

I was looking at a friend's Animal Rescue website this morning. How some people abandon their pets in appalling conditions is beyond me. A 7-month-old kitten/cat was dumed in the bin for getting pregnant. A GSD was skinny to his skeleton and lost all fur due to severe neglect.

While rummaging through the stuff in my attic last Christmas, I found a picture of our previous cat with my kids, and all those memories came flooding to me how she moved from house to house with us, how we eventually found some stability in this house, and how she stood by us through every thick and thin. She just accepted what we had to. All she wanted was to be with us. Beholding that picture was one serious moment for me. She was my first pet in this country who made me and my children happy for a long time. Mrs. Billi will never be forgotton.

Last edited by Turbohot; 13 October 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 13 October 2012, 02:20 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Sad to hear David. It's tough to accept the loss of a much loved pet that has become part of the family for so long.
Old 13 October 2012, 04:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone posted this a couple of weeks ago, I loved it so much the post now graces our downstairs loo, seems kind of appropriate and very funny.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox
Old 13 October 2012, 04:34 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

The part of having pets I hate is when you have to say goodbye.
Old 13 October 2012, 04:43 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Someone posted this a couple of weeks ago, I loved it so much the post now graces our downstairs loo, seems kind of appropriate and very funny.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox
Brilliant but

My 3 year old GSD became really ill 3 months ago with a prostate infection, he went on various tablets for the first month and became so ill I took him to university Veterinary college where they found that the mysterious infection (disease) had spread to his heart they thought he'd never come home again as he'd developed a serious heart murmur and he was deteriorating hourly... after a week they managed to stabilise things but he's now a 3 year old dog with the heart of a 15 year old dog and I've been warned that its likely he'll succumb to sudden death - the old "could be a day, could be a year" line.

Old 13 October 2012, 05:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

David, I know how you feel, we had to say goodbye to our lovely lab Lily a few weeks ago House is so / too quiet without her wandering around.
Old 13 October 2012, 06:00 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Gone but never forgotten.... I too dread the day (even though in front of people I put a man front on) I was in bits with our 10yr old rabbit...
Old 13 October 2012, 06:07 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

I miss our last bulldog,we had to have him put to sleep,hes in the garden with our previous one. I miss the dogs,but I dont miss the mess..esp poop scooping...and we especially dont miss the hair everywhere...cos they do get everywhere...even where the dogs never went.
Old 13 October 2012, 07:08 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

One of our dogs, Ted, died in his sleep of old age in his own bed.
He gave us a good 14 years and was never once ill.

His mate Millie, is now 15 years old and I fear does not have long left in this world. (Failing kidneys for the last year and just, well, old)

Sympathies, David.
Old 13 October 2012, 07:18 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I've got a greyhound who's 11, I got her from a rescue kennel when she was 8 and I took her because others had tried with her and taken her back as she doesn't like other dogs and can be a handful, I took her as I've got years of experience with similar greyhounds.
She's been my best friend for the last 3 years and I love her to bits, she's always happy to see me.
I dread one day getting up or coming home to find something's happened to her even though I know one day it will happen.
My last greyhound literally had a heart attack and dropped dead in front of me, she was only 8.
Old 13 October 2012, 07:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I think the thing to remember is that Dogs are awesome and every one is special, but the key is to say goodbye to one and then hello to another, give another one the life they deserve and focus your attention on him or her, don't leave a Dog shaped hole in your life too long, they leave too big a hole, every day you spend Dogless, a dog spends ownerless and that will never do.

Cats are alright, but nothing beats the awesomeness of a hound, you arent being disloyal to your old dog, just looking after a new one.
Old 13 October 2012, 07:56 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this David, we also had to have our lovely Cavalier put down in July he was not quite 15. Very sad.
Old 13 October 2012, 08:45 PM
bruce1986
Scooby Regular

had to have my 9yr old boxer put down last friday due to a brain tumor,was in pieces at the vets and then had to go bury him in a nice quiet spot which was one of the hardest things i have had to do,still cant get my head round it but can only describe it as losing my shadow and best friend
Old 13 October 2012, 09:01 PM
buff01
Scooby Regular

really sorry to hear of your sad loss,, we had to have our 12yr old basset hound put down 13weeks ago to liver cancer, we had 2 new pups back in november and they have taken a little of the pain away and i mean little but they ll never be like my old boy,, remember the good times, we did a photo album of each of our dogs and its great to look back and see such lovely photos it makes me smile

god bless you and best wishes
Old 13 October 2012, 09:23 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

Default re loss

Our mini yorkie is 14 and has a heart problem and is on medication iv`e shead a few tears in the vets and feel for you
Old 13 October 2012, 09:52 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that mate

A few weeks ago we had to put one of our Staffies to sleep due to a tumour, she was hurting herself and felt no pain, we still have her brother which helps but miss her like mad and although I know it was the right thing to do I can't stop the guilt of our choice, other than that she was perfectly healthy and only 3 year old

This is the sort of scene we were having to see and the damage she was doing to herself was truly horrific

Old 14 October 2012, 02:18 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Old 14 October 2012, 08:53 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Very sorry to hear the news, and 15 years is a very good age and you shall remember the memories

We have gone through 4 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, and are currently on our 5th. They are such gentle, kind, loyal, soft, and appreciative dogs. They like nothing more than some play time followed by cuddles on your lap. They'll gently drift off to sleep on your lap just happy to be with you. Writing this has given a tear in my eye....
Old 14 October 2012, 11:31 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks again everyone. Feeling better today but of course the house is so much quieter and there is something "missing".

Big question now is do we get another? We are past the first flush of youth as it were and will be pretty ancient in 15 tears time. Like Mr Sherratt above we have had Cavaliers for 30 years so a big wrench without one.

Time will tell

David

Last edited by David Lock; 14 October 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 14 October 2012, 12:53 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Judging by your winky face at the end, I think you will be getting another cavalier and good on you. I can't imagine living in a house without a dog. Despite the heartbreak when you loose one, the joy a dog brings far outweighs this
Old 14 October 2012, 01:33 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Thanks again everyone. Feeling better today but of course the house is so much quieter and there is something "missing".

Big question now is do we get another? We are past the first flush of youth as it were and will be pretty ancient in 15 tears time. Like Mr Sherratt above we have had Cavaliers for 30 years so a big wrench without one.

Time will tell

David
Yes, IMO get another one- one day. He/she will be a great companion to you and to Mrs. Lock in your retirement days. Kids will have left the nest and settled in their lives, but your dog will keep you and Mrs. Lock company; like a child. Give a dog a home and get much love back from them.

Just my opinion. See how you feel.

Quick Reply: Dog owners will understand......