Any legal people on here advise needed please

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2012, 04:36 PM
subzerokent
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any legal people on here advise needed please

Bit of a long shot didn't know if any legal people on here

I own a static caravan on a holiday park when ever you do improvements you have to get a site pitch improvemt form well I wanted to skirt the bottom off to make warmer for the winter got a form and nothing was on it regarding skirts. So me bein me started doing it myself using the exact same materials as every other one. Up till I have had the site manager come and stop me saying I need there permission and have to use one of there contractors. I've offered them copy of public liability and said I'm happy for there matanace staff to check it off. But they have Completely refused the only reason they keep giving me is health and safety. So what I'm basically after is if it's not on pitch form can they stop me or evict me if I carry on fitting it ?

Many thanks
Ian
Old 15 September 2012, 05:35 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Did you sign any agreement when you bought the caravan that tied you in to this sort of obligation?
Old 15 September 2012, 05:36 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I don't know about the legalities of the matter but it seems a little petty and almost a point of they get a cut from one of their contractors ;-)
Old 15 September 2012, 07:00 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
I don't know about the legalities of the matter but it seems a little petty and almost a point of they get a cut from one of their contractors ;-)
Sounds about right , local handyman slipping him a back hander
Old 15 September 2012, 07:22 PM
subzerokent
Scooby Regular

It defanatly seems like that to me I was quoted 1500 to do it 6 month ago went into a plastics company and the whole lot of materials has cost 200

They want 600 for a pucka storage box I email the manufacture and they will sell it direct to me for 350

At the moment I can't see anything in contract saying I have to use them on the site improvement form it say you have to for decking and patios but nothing mentioned by skirts
Old 15 September 2012, 09:52 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

normally they have a monopoly on the site, so they may be in the right , sucks I know

Mate had same deal building a decking outside, he HAD to get them although me and him could've done it half price
Old 16 September 2012, 11:41 AM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

cancel your pitch, terminate your contract and move your caravan elsewhere
Old 16 September 2012, 02:09 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Not a lawyer, so take what I say with a pinch of salt as I'm probably (make that definitely) an idiot...

In your contract I'd be very surprised if there wasn't reference to another document, some kind of terms and conditions of the site. In there I suspect that it talks about what you can and can't do, and if you're unlucky it will have some general catch all statement like the site managers decision is final.

If you resort to what it does / doesn't say in the contract and get solicitors involved it will get expensive, messy, and bascially even if you win you lose (the only people who ever really win are the solicitors).

You have a couple of options:

1)Threaten to cancel the pitch, and then actually canel if common sense doesn't break out

2) Go ahead an do it anyway, and see what he does. May escalate into a silly tit for tat war as they remove the 'unauthorised' work etc. Best avoid.

3) Do it their way - expensive!

4) Talk to the site manager about the contract and Ts&Cs. If he / she is a tool, I bet there is a company owner you can write to / speak to. Request to be shown where it says in T&Cs you can't perform the work. Keep copies of the letters if you have to. I'm sure you'll eventually win them round if you're polite and persistent enough. No shouting and definitely no language you wouldn't use in front of your mother (unless she's a Liverpool fan - last time I wen tot Anfield there were old ladies using language my ex-squaddie brother-in-law would blush at)

5) Sell the caravan and go on a proper holiday instead (sorry, only joking)

Basically, whatever the contract may say given the relatively low cost situation (and I say low cost in reference to the £££ that solicitors charge per hour) you're going to have to work this out on your own.

Last edited by ahar; 16 September 2012 at 02:12 PM.