Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Unnecessary Subaru service items?

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2012, 12:05 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unnecessary Subaru service items?

Just had a 20k service and on the invoice was a charge for Forte oil flush and Forte gas treatment. Total cost including VAT approaching £40.

Anyone think these items are beneficial in any way or just a nice little earner with a minimum of effort?

Bill wasn't looked at until I was home as they were running late.

Mouser.
Old 27 July 2012, 12:12 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Most people don`t rate the oil flush anyway as it can loosen particles and possibly cause problems!
Old 27 July 2012, 04:44 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
Most people don`t rate the oil flush anyway as it can loosen particles and possibly cause problems!
My thoughts also coupled to regular oil and filter changes should be sufficient.
Old 27 July 2012, 04:55 PM
hibbs
Scooby Regular

I use the forte producs day in day out and would recommend to anyone! Just done an engine rebuild on a transit 265k on the clock it's been flushed every 10k and the engine internals are immaculately clean. As for the gas treatment if we have one fail emmisions on an mot bang one of these in and you can see the difference straight away on the annayliser!! Not getting commission or anything although sounds like it hahaha
Old 27 July 2012, 05:11 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Once run a forte engine flush in an old astra gsi................ , fair to say i wont use it again!! car was regularly serviced due to its age always on a decent 10/40 oil. The car was then sold to a friend who knew the car and knew it never missed a beat, when he services it he buys that forte engine flush which i was against due to hearing others say what you guys have echo'd above causing problems, i told him not to bother as it did not need it imo but still he decided to go ahead with it, car was flushed and instantly the liffters were ticking that was just the start, drained out flush and replaced the oil and filter, i think he got not even 20 miles up the road and it spun a bearing resulting in the rod spitting its self out the block!

It may be pure coincidence that it happened but i dont feel it was, that car had never been played about with regards to oil flushes and the rest of it and as soon as it had one that happens! Was later told it may have Been caused due to the flush upsetting things and washing away all the old ****, not saying the flush aint any good and perhaps would benefit other motors, but in my instance car was over 110k miles and ran lovely, no smoke, liffter ticking, knocks bangs etc and even pulled a healthy 172 bhp on the rollers but shortly died after that forte stuff was stuck in her, each to their own i suppose but wouldn recommend it on a high mileage motor im my experience

Craig