Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who Should Investigate The Banks?

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2012, 06:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Who Should Investigate The Banks?

The Tories?

Or a Judge?

Well, it's no surprise that Cameron wants Eton Boys to investigate Eton Boys .... it's so corrupt and riddled in greed that - I suppose - only a true Tory could understand the corruption!!

I'd rather have a Judge sit in and carry out the investigation .... the suggestion from Cameron of Rich boy quizes Rich boy simply stinks of Nepotism!!

They are all a crock of **** ......
Old 04 July 2012, 06:44 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The City of old boys and their Gentleman's clubs is long gone Pete.

Anyway I'd rather have this Government investigate than a Labour government who presided over the whole mess and may even have been involved in the Libor fixing.
Old 04 July 2012, 06:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

hey Pete, wasn't it your lot that tried to hold the Iraq war enquiry behind closed doors?

Who was that, then, the Fettes boyz? The West Lothian Boyz?
Old 04 July 2012, 06:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I think the whole country is utterly fed up with the Tories answers for everything - "It was the previous Governments fault"

After 2 years it's about time they started manning up to the job ..... which must be hard for two little boys in a mans world ..... Cameron and Osborne - not done a days real work between them, never suffered financial hardship - they haven't a clue!
Old 04 July 2012, 06:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
hey Pete, wasn't it your lot that tried to hold the Iraq war enquiry behind closed doors?

Ahem?
Old 04 July 2012, 06:54 PM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

:Osbourne reminds me of someone, cant work out who, Andy pandy or Mr Punch?
Old 04 July 2012, 06:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm sure that most people felt a lot more comfortable with financial heavyweights like Brown and Darling looking after the safe!!

Tories are funded by the Banks, their mates are leading the Banks, it should be an independant investigation!

Trending Topics

Old 04 July 2012, 06:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I'm sure that most people felt a lot more comfortable with financial heavyweights like Brown and Darling looking after the safe!!

Tories are funded by the Banks, their mates are leading the Banks, it should be an independant investigation!
Is that the same Brown who sold the nations gold at a historic low?
Old 04 July 2012, 06:59 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Osborne always reminds me of this fella ....

http://images.wikia.com/laurelandhar...tan_laurel.jpg
Old 04 July 2012, 07:00 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Well I wouldn't have either government involed to be honest, especially not labour who could be up to their necks in it in a couple of weeks time. Let's face it, if one of us mortals bent the rules like these banks, we'd be looking at bird. Let these ar$eholes take it on the chin and let the courts decide

Last edited by classic Subaru Si; 04 July 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04 July 2012, 07:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Is that the same Brown who sold the nations gold at a historic low?
Yawn .................. hindsight ........................ if, only, when, if ...........
Old 04 July 2012, 07:05 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Party political ping pong as usual!

What seems to have eluded most of you is that they are both awful and yet you lot seem to want to argue who is the least awful when the effects of either of them on the country as a whole are woeful!
Old 04 July 2012, 07:57 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh dear, well it turns out that Labour were complicit in the LIBOR fixing as Barclays execs repeatedly warned the members within Browns cabinet and the regulators setup by the incumbent government that other banks were fixing the rates. So yes, it is still Labour's fault and we''re all still suffering their legacy.

The only people that felt comfortable with the "financial heavyweights like Brown and Darling" were the bankers!
Old 04 July 2012, 08:00 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like Gormless Clown and his cronies knew all about this Pete but chose to do nothing.
Old 04 July 2012, 08:11 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

+1 epic fail on a biblical scale
Old 04 July 2012, 08:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Hello? Pete?
Old 04 July 2012, 08:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

oh joy ANOTHER enquiry.

FFS if Millimetre cries for yet another enquiry over something we'll end having enquiries over enquiries, inquiring if the enquiry was inquired in the first place.

Old 04 July 2012, 09:24 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
oh joy ANOTHER enquiry.

FFS if Millimetre cries for yet another enquiry over something we'll end having enquiries over enquiries, inquiring if the enquiry was inquired in the first place.

About right. Another Leveson type would mean the city being dragged through the mud for a year or two and everyone getting sick to the back teeth of endless hours of enquiry.

A real boost for the city's reputation Don't wash your dirty linen in public

A quick enquiry, sack a few traders (try to claim back their bonuses), stick them in gaol if possible. One month only and get back to work. dl

Last edited by David Lock; 04 July 2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05 July 2012, 08:19 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
About right. Another Leveson type would mean the city being dragged through the mud for a year or two and everyone getting sick to the back teeth of endless hours of enquiry.

A real boost for the city's reputation Don't wash your dirty linen in public

A quick enquiry, sack a few traders (try to claim back their bonuses), stick them in gaol if possible. One month only and get back to work. dl
Ah but thats is far too much common sense - so wont happen !

Richard
Old 05 July 2012, 08:50 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Party political ping pong as usual!

What seems to have eluded most of you is that they are both awful and yet you lot seem to want to argue who is the least awful when the effects of either of them on the country as a whole are woeful!

It might just be me, but is it not a bit strange the way these Politicians are up in arms about what the banks have done, when most of them have been accused of swindling in another form. Their expenses. Smacks of double standards to me. The whole flaming lot of them are corrupt and only in it for themselves
Old 05 July 2012, 09:12 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
oh joy ANOTHER enquiry.

Are you suggesting we should just let the banks carry on regardless just because it is Labour calling for an enquiry? How about you let common sense rule over party political posturing for once?
Old 05 July 2012, 09:28 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When actually did labia or Millipede come up with any fresh new ideas

Old 05 July 2012, 10:34 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Does anyone honestly think an inquiry of any form no matter who it is done by will make any difference to the culture within the banking sector?

Typical outcome; Find a scape goat(s), tell them they are a naughty boys and not to do it again. Accept a few resignations, dish out a few paltry fines accompanied by a few meaningless (horse/stable/bolted) regulation changes.

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 July 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05 July 2012, 11:04 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

The Tories?

Or a Judge?

Well, it's no surprise that Cameron wants Eton Boys to investigate Eton Boys .... it's so corrupt and riddled in greed that - I suppose - only a true Tory could understand the corruption!!

I'd rather have a Judge sit in and carry out the investigation .... the suggestion from Cameron of Rich boy quizes Rich boy simply stinks of Nepotism!!

They are all a crock of **** ......

If the investigation is led by a judge then I doubt you'll see its conclusion in your lifetime pete!

it would just mean lots more expenditure and dragging it out for years....
Old 05 July 2012, 11:13 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

After what we have seen in recent years I would not feel that I could trust any political organisation to carry out an investigation as described by the OP.

I find it regrettable that we seem to have entered a time when it is difficult to know who you can trust these days. Too many "favours" flying about I think.

On the face of it I would favour a properly set up legally based enquiry. I think that is probably the best chance of getting at the truth.

Les
Old 05 July 2012, 11:42 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I find this article quite amusing: http://www.cedr.com/docslib/CEDR_Inq...Prospectus.pdf

Lord Woolf leading an inquiry into inquiries

Says it all IMO.
Old 05 July 2012, 01:17 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
After what we have seen in recent years I would not feel that I could trust any political organisation to carry out an investigation as described by the OP.

I find it regrettable that we seem to have entered a time when it is difficult to know who you can trust these days. Too many "favours" flying about I think.

On the face of it I would favour a properly set up legally based enquiry. I think that is probably the best chance of getting at the truth.

Les
Well yesterday's session with Diamond vs politicians merely showed how inept the politicians were at asking questions. All we learnt was that Diamond blamed a few rogue traders who were a) doing their best to stop market jitters about Barclay's' market strength and b) to increase their meagre salaries Now Diamond played the "I know nothing" card but are we really expected to believe that these traders just acted on their own for the good of the bank? Of course not.

But getting at the truth? We all know roughly what went on and the truth process won't help the city and if they suffer the UK economy suffers. So keep the truth out of it. But may be have a few more Leesons in the FSA to keep an eye on things.

dl
Old 05 July 2012, 02:41 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

^^^ +1
Another inquirey will do little and the cost to the taxpayer could easily run into millions. All it will do is add more uncertainty to the martket and to our economy and what the yesterdays hearing also highlighted is that the regulators themselves also need regulating! Any new legislation brought into an already heavily regulated industry by the government will more likely threaten growth and potentially damage the very fragile economy and make UK's banking industry less attractive for foriegn investments. All of this will have little effect the banking culture as a whole as this endemic throughout the industry globally.

Of course this needs to resolved, but this has to be in agreement with all the major financial hubs around the world and there needs to be a time and a place for this, but now is not the time.
Old 05 July 2012, 07:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I see that the Tories have withdrawn their outrageous claims that Labour had anything to do with the LIBOR fixing scandal .....

Now, sack all Bankers - planty of people would do their job well for a tiny fraction of their wages .... I would take their houses off them, their cars off them and dump them into a Council Sink Estate!!
Old 05 July 2012, 08:00 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

No, Osborne has withdrawn his claim that ***** had personal involvement in the Libor scandal, this doesn't absolve Labour at all from their involvement. This is a Labour scandal, it happened under Labour's watch and that is irrefutable fact. Is it any wonder that they are calling a long and drawn out public inquiry, it buys them time to get rid of all traces of incriminating evidence involving Labour ministers.

Quick Reply: Who Should Investigate The Banks?