Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Employment Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2002, 10:20 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hopefully there is someone on the board that can help me.

My Wife was made redundant from her Saturday job (8 hours), though offered another position working 0530-0730 Mon - Fri. There has been no new contract / amended contract to reflect the new position.

She has tried the job for 3 weeks, but is not able to handle the hours of work. She ends up losing her evening (going to sleep very early), and her mornings (sleeping), thus the job is just not worth it. (Also pressures relating to 2 young children).

She wants to give her notice in - as little notice as possible.

They are saying that she may need to work a months notice, or a week at best. She (Clair) wants to finish the end of this week if possible, but they are threatening not to pay her for the three weeks she has already worked.

Surely this is not legal, since she has no contract, and she has done the work. We're not talking a small company either, but a Multinational. She also knows of 2 people who used to do the job who would step in immediately.

I'd like advice on where she stands on this, and which agenicies we can contact for guidance. (Any web sites?)

Thanks in anticipation.

Kevin McLachlan
Old 08 May 2002, 10:39 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

was she actually made redundant and re-employed? If so she needs to give one weeks notice as she has signed no contract. If she leaves before then they would probably not pay her and it would be very difficult to get the money. The fact that she can fill the job would only be of benefit in a goodwill situation.

Is it feasible to wait until she gets paid and then not go back, or possibly take sick time. They would be oblidged to pay her what she was due to date if she handed in her notice and then provided a doctors cert to cover the week of notice. Most doctors will give you a cert if you can show that the job is making you unwell
Old 08 May 2002, 11:44 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes - she was made redundant and re-employed.

Think the best thing would be to give a weeks notice (i.e. until the pay cheque hits the bank!) and then go.

Thanks for the advice