Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Apple TV (Little Black Box)

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2012, 10:51 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple TV (Little Black Box)

Ive got an ipad and iphone and would like to link it to my TV and see it can be done through the little black box.

Apparently there is a new version coming out? Does anyone know what the difference will be to the current one.
Anyone got one ?? what are your thoughts on it ?
Old 16 June 2012, 11:28 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

A new version was released a few months ago. For doing what you state it works very well. As a general "toy" it is not very good unless you Jailbreak it, install XBMC and Icefilms / 1Channel. I have one and can now stream almost every movie format from my NAS and watch TV programs from around the world via the Internet.

Unfortunately the new Apple TV cannot be Jailbroken at the moment.
Old 16 June 2012, 12:19 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Boxst Im really not good at Jailbroken things.
What is NAS ? XBMC ??
Old 16 June 2012, 01:40 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

As it stands out of the box, Apple TV can only stream things that you have bought from iTunes (or is present in iTunes).

Xbmc is just a program (actually Xbox media centre) that allows streaming of movies from a network hard drive or the internet.
Old 16 June 2012, 03:32 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
As it stands out of the box, Apple TV can only stream things that you have bought from iTunes (or is present in iTunes).

Xbmc is just a program (actually Xbox media centre) that allows streaming of movies from a network hard drive or the internet.
Not true. Airparrot can stream any PC display to a TV through ATV.
Old 16 June 2012, 05:12 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I play my own movies on Apple TV and don't Jailbreak or use other software.
Old 16 June 2012, 06:27 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Does apps like buzz player work on atv?

as i use that on the ipad to stream from the nas
Old 16 June 2012, 06:36 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

No apps as yet. If you have an iPad 2 or iPhone 4 or can wait for Mountain Lion then you can mirror anything on the screen to the Apple TV.
Old 16 June 2012, 06:43 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I live for my ATV, however I have the gen one as its easier to play about with. I'm currently switching between the XBMC we have installed and a Crystal HD card on a USB in the back.

It's all linked up to the hard drive and computer. I'm not having much luck with ice films since the Feds shut it down, so I'm swapping between naviX and and 1channel.

All great fun!!
Old 16 June 2012, 06:52 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Even Pirates love the Apple TV! Thanks Steve.
Old 16 June 2012, 06:54 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
Boxst Im really not good at Jailbroken things.
What is NAS ? XBMC ??
To be honest jail remaking isn't too difficult, but you need to know what you are doing. It's nowhere near as easy as an iPad or iPhone, but if you do your research you should manage ok.

Then you just have to keep on top of the updates as in the apple world (as I'm sure you know) things get updated quite regularly. If you ever find something not working that usually does, go straight to the updates, and 9/10 it just needs a quick update.
Old 16 June 2012, 08:42 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Is it literally for just watching whatever's on your iDevice or is their a tv aspect to it? I'm getting fed up with Sky prices and I'm now after a free view system with a hard drive.
Old 16 June 2012, 08:47 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
Is it literally for just watching whatever's on your iDevice or is their a tv aspect to it? I'm getting fed up with Sky prices and I'm now after a free view system with a hard drive.
There are plenty of sports channels on there. Mr P found a stream for sky sports HD and it worked quite well.
Old 16 June 2012, 08:49 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Is it all done via broadband then? Are the channels all via dodgy sites?
Old 16 June 2012, 10:07 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

All done via broadband, conects through a HDMI cable.

I bought it for all the Celtic matches you can subscribe to FlashSportsStreams.tv for £40 a year it will get you
Sky Sports 1
Sky Sports 2
Sky Sports 3
Sky Sports 4
Sky Sports News
ESPN UK
ESPN US
ESPN 2
ESPN U
Setana Sports CA
Setana Sports AU
Setana Sports IE
WBC Boxing
FOX soccer
FOX Soccer Plus
At the Races
Racing UK

I bought mine from EBAY for £120 jailbroken ended up with two long story. Still have one brand new. The apple side of thing is very slick, XBMC stream stuff a bit grainy.

The XBMC side has loads of channels and catch up I spent a hour one nite just going through all whats on it, that was not counting the **** to be fair not much in to movies so not been on it since end of the season. I also have virgin XL HD package.
Old 16 June 2012, 10:17 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

How does that FlashSportsStreams work then, I assume at that price it's dodgy and not great quality?
Old 16 June 2012, 10:20 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Also, sorry but XBMC? (what's that mean?)
Old 16 June 2012, 10:26 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

XBMC is X box media centre, and I have not subscribed yet to flashsports. I will start of new season got mine with about 7 games to go so just used the sky sports through sports devil. Mate in the work uses Stream pro on his PC as far as i know just the same you can use flashsports through a X box jailbroken Apple TV or a PC. You just sign up pay log on 1 user only and perfect unbroken streams as far AFAIK.
Old 16 June 2012, 10:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

1st Gen AppleTV isn't bad, about the size of a Mac Mini, HD based. Doesn't handle 1080p (unless you open it up, rip out the wifi card and add in an HD card), it can be jailbroken, which allows you to put on other apps, for example XBMC (media player that can handle more types of files than the built in software - more on that later)

2nd Gen AppleTV is a much smaller form factor (the little black box), better hardware specs than the first device, flash based storage, so not an HD, still doesn't do 1080p. Can be jailbroken though, so again you can add XBMC and other things

3rd Gen appleTV, came out when the new iPad (retina one) was launched earlier this year, I think it's a better processor than the 2nd gen, and it does 1080p, currently not possible to Jailbreak so you have to use Apple's player

So, what can you play on a non JB'd ATV - basically any file that iTunes supports, so for movies that is typically m4a (mp4 video).

This is a bit of a pain for me because I had previously ripped legally purchased dvds (before the anti-pirate brigade goes off on one ) as avi files, or sometimes iso files. I had used these with my xbox that had been chipped to allow XBMC to run on it.

I JB'd my 1st gen AppleTV and could play this media there as well. With the new 3rd Gen device I would need to transcode the files, either on the fly, or permanently, This could result in a loss of quality, or I could rip them again, which would be time consuming. I much prefer to be able to use the same software I have on other devices without the need to do anything to the files.
You'd also need to add them to iTunes, granted you don't need to copy things into the library, but it is still a pain having to do that, plus ensure Home Sharing is enabled and iTunes is running when you want to view a film, so I need to go to my machine and launch iTunes as I don't have it running all the time (who does?)
Old 16 June 2012, 10:31 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

XBMC is just a media player.
What repositories are people using? I can't get ice films to work, nor sports devil.

Last edited by ronjeramy; 16 June 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 16 June 2012, 10:31 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Ah, so without Jailbreaking it your tv acts just as a large screen for your iPad but if you start messing about you get access to more?
Thanks for the replies by the way!
Old 16 June 2012, 10:34 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

This the like where I bought mine, the second one lol, it will give you a idea what you get when jailbroken.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-TV-2...item2c62f9ea93
Old 16 June 2012, 10:43 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
How does that FlashSportsStreams work then, I assume at that price it's dodgy and not great quality?
Just looked at the T&Cs of this, from how I read it they look to be saying they are like 'Sky Go' where you can access it IF you already have paid for Sky, bit dodgy then!
Old 16 June 2012, 10:44 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daviee
This the like where I bought mine, the second one lol, it will give you a idea what you get when jailbroken.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-TV-2...item2c62f9ea93
Can you download the catch up apps on a 'normal' one? They are available on iTunes.
Old 16 June 2012, 10:46 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Why on earth would anyone pay £117 for a 2nd gen ? The 3rd is £99

And jailbreak wouldn't be too far for it and it's free
Old 16 June 2012, 11:00 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Jailbreak isn't possible on gen 3, and you can't buy a gen 2 any more, hence going for a premium.
Old 17 June 2012, 12:19 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
What repositories are people using? I can't get ice films to work, nor sports devil.
I never thought to check sports devil to see if ice films was in the same repo.
Old 17 June 2012, 01:12 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
Why on earth would anyone pay £117 for a 2nd gen ? The 3rd is £99

And jailbreak wouldn't be too far for it and it's free
JB isn't seemingly forthcoming for the 3. Main reason is that it's a lot more locked down than previous devices, none of the current JB methods for other devices work on the 3. I think what needs to happen is for those who can JB to have a look at it, and unless there is a massive request to do this, they probably won't.

There was mention that an SDK for the ATV might appear at WWDC, the idea being there would be an update to the iOs for ATV which allows apps / channels, i.e.; third-party items on the device. That could be one way to get something like XBMC on there without a need for a jailbreak.
Old 17 June 2012, 10:39 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
IceFilms does work although that sources are a bit hit and miss. 1channel.ch works very well, has a wide variety of television programs and the sources generally work.
Old 18 June 2012, 09:27 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
IceFilms does work although that sources are a bit hit and miss. 1channel.ch works very well, has a wide variety of television programs and the sources generally work.
I can back this up, 1channel is great BUT I'm having horrendous buffering issues lately. Tried all sorts to fix it, but nothing has worked. I ended up DLing and streaming something last week as I tried every source for several program's but no luck.

Could do with some help on that issue.

Quick Reply: Apple TV (Little Black Box)