Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Doctors Strike in June .....

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2012, 05:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Doctors Strike in June .....

What is wrong with these mega-earners these days??

A GP gets around £150,000 a year .......

It's about time they realised that we are all in it together - good grief, they have had their hours reduced and pay tripled under Labour.

IT'S PAYBACK TIME DOCTORS!!

FFS can't we stop the greed of Bankers, Dentists, Doctors, Vets??

It's getting sickening and any riot will target these people, I feel sure of it.

£68,000 a year Pension at todays money for GP's retiring ....... good enough you greedy gits!!

Last edited by pslewis; 30 May 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 30 May 2012, 05:55 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet you rubbed your hands together with glee when you heard that on the news. It'll give you a nice pot to stir for a while.

I'll sit and see how many take the bait.
Old 30 May 2012, 05:58 PM
...seamus...
Scooby Regular

jesus christ - give it a rest
Old 30 May 2012, 05:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

B*ggers better not go on strike the day of my back op
Old 30 May 2012, 06:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
I'll sit and see how many take the bait.
Welcome to Number 1
Old 30 May 2012, 06:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Was'nt it the threat of reduced pensions which has set them off?

Les
Old 30 May 2012, 07:06 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I believe it was Les.

Pete I'm not biting, I have no opinion on this subject matter, I simply enjoy your barbed posts and I'm waiting for the entertainment to arrive

Trending Topics

Old 30 May 2012, 07:20 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It's sickening to see. Some bearded guy from the BMA on C4 news just now. Completely sidestepped the questions, what an arrogant man.

Heard a GP on Radio 5 today say she was not even on six figures in an attempt to show how GP's were not all that well paid. I thought what planet are you on where to 'only' be on five figures is a plea for sympathy.

The ****** from BMA neglected to mention that GP pay has gone up something like 50% the last decade.
Old 30 May 2012, 07:37 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Simple really, anyone dies on their watch whilst they are on strike just do them for manslaughter.
Old 30 May 2012, 07:39 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

pissy you really are a troll
Old 30 May 2012, 08:03 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I am not striking, but just withdrawing from the pension scheme. After inflation I am paid less than I was 10 years ago, but I am sure that isn't uncommon and I am not moaning about it, I am lucky to have a job, especially an interesting one.
Old 30 May 2012, 08:59 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
I am not striking, but just withdrawing from the pension scheme. After inflation I am paid less than I was 10 years ago, but I am sure that isn't uncommon and I am not moaning about it, I am lucky to have a job, especially an interesting one.
How is that John? Labour increased Doctors' pay significantly.
Old 30 May 2012, 09:14 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

PSL is on the same if not more than these highly paid doctors and GPs, however, the difference is that doctors are more deserving as they are in the business of saving lives were as PSL on the other hand is the business of taking lives.
Old 30 May 2012, 09:31 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

TDW, initially there was a surprisingly generous give away in 2004 with new performance related pay which was related to achievement in 10 clinical areas. The loss of 24 hour responsibility just meant moving money around, but no net difference really.

Over the last four years or so GP pay has been frozen whilst expenses go up and those 10 clinical areas have become about 20 (I've lost count) with more stringent targets every year, but all within the same funding. The result along with inflation is where I stated, I was better off 10 years ago.

However, the public now think that GPs are fat cats which is why many like you would quite reasonably think it sounds ridiculous. 10 years ago they didn't but we were better off and now wrapped in what has now become quite meaningless micro management and spurious performance targets, which have made the day job far more intense and will probably at some point produce another recruitment crisis. Anyone that can get out on the present pension arrangements will do so. We're not replacing them when they leave and working harder to keep income up.

Not asking you to feel sorry for me, I'm doing OK, but it is nothing like the bonanza the Daily Mail would have you believe.

The pension is the main bone of contention though, it is in surplus so very poor value already, never mind after the coming changes. I'd be paying about £20k a year into a pension, to receive £40k a year from the age of 68 after 45 years service. **** that, I'd have to live until 90 to start winning from that one. Given some rather worrying evidence that doctors that retire at 65 don't last very long compared to those that retire at 60, it needs some thought.

Last edited by john banks; 30 May 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 30 May 2012, 10:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
PSL is on the same if not more than these highly paid doctors and GPs, however, the difference is that doctors are more deserving as they are in the business of saving lives were as PSL on the other hand is the business of taking lives.
I'm in the business of saving MILLIONS of lives ...... every second of every day of every month of every year.

Whilst we ensure Mutual Assured Destruction of any state which attacks us, we remain safe in our beds.

I ask for no medals, no fat Pension will come my way, I receive a living wage - for all the above - you are getting an absolute bargain!!
Old 30 May 2012, 10:18 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

However, the public now think that GPs are fat cats which is why many like you would quite reasonably think it sounds ridiculous. 10 years ago they didn't but we were better off and now wrapped in what has now become quite meaningless micro management and spurious performance targets, which have made the day job far more intense and will probably at some point produce another recruitment crisis. Anyone that can get out on the present pension arrangements will do so. We're not replacing them when they leave and working harder to keep income up.

Not asking you to feel sorry for me, I'm doing OK, but it is nothing like the bonanza the Daily Mail would have you believe.

The pension is the main bone of contention though, it is in surplus so very poor value already, never mind after the coming changes. I'd be paying about £20k a year into a pension, to receive £40k a year from the age of 68 after 45 years service. **** that, I'd have to live until 90 to start winning from that one. Given some rather worrying evidence that doctors that retire at 65 don't last very long compared to those that retire at 60, it needs some thought.
Sure I can imagine the metrics are a nightmare, we see more and more of this in professions such as Teaching, there is kind of a mania for it.

I heard GP's on the radio blaming 'media' for the perception that Doctors get paid loads. You never see a poor Doctor though. It has always seemed to me the weakest excuse that the media is to blame for perceptions. If Doctors don't want the public to see them as getting paid too much perhaps they should not call for strikes? Now the laser beam of the public perception is on exactly how much Doctors do make!

I heard this notion of a recruitment crisis before. Thing is the medical profession operates a kind of guild/cartel which is necessary designed to restrict supply. Only so many are allowed to train each year and join the guild/cartel. This could be solved by training more Doctors or letting more from overseas come here.

I'm all for Doctors getting good pay, but it has to track rises and falls in average tax-payer pay or this is unfair. It's hard to say what is 'just' pay for any public sector worker but Doctors should earn more than Teachers I reckon and more than Police.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 30 May 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 30 May 2012, 10:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The workforce numbers do get mismanaged, leading to famine or feast depending on whether you are looking to recruit or being recruited. Happens in all medical specialties.

As you may gather, I'm not in support of strikes either, and it isn't very practical, you'd just give yourself a real problem catching up the days after you'd been on strike.

Speaking of training more from overseas, it appears that the university from where we get students may actually have a majority of overseas medical students. Maybe the Brits can't make the grade, or the overseas students pay much more.

Last edited by john banks; 30 May 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 30 May 2012, 10:37 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't believe all the nonsense you read in the papers about how much doctors get paid and the pensions we will be getting.

As JB said though none of us are poor, but we all work pretty hard for what we earn. Believe me you wouldn't want to work the hours I've done over the years.

I would have striked but the day the industrial action is planned for is a day I would be off anyway.

TDW, you seem to have a big problem with well paid doctors, you've mentioned it a number of times on different threads. If you really think somebody who is ultimately responsible for your life and makes decisions on a daily basis that might cure or kill you is not worth £80k+ per year then you are deluded.

To get to this position requires a degree of commitment, dedication and sacrifice that I suspect you have never shown to anything and therefore as a result do not know it's worth.
Old 30 May 2012, 10:47 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler

TDW, you seem to have a big problem with well paid doctors, you've mentioned it a number of times on different threads. If you really think somebody who is ultimately responsible for your life and makes decisions on a daily basis that might cure or kill you is not worth £80k+ per year then you are deluded.

To get to this position requires a degree of commitment, dedication and sacrifice that I suspect you have never shown to anything and therefore as a result do not know it's worth.
The same attitude was shown on the recent police thread, but that appears to be due to him being caught speeding. I wonder what a doctor has done to upset him?
Old 30 May 2012, 10:52 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
I wouldn't believe all the nonsense you read in the papers about how much doctors get paid and the pensions we will be getting.

As JB said though none of us are poor, but we all work pretty hard for what we earn. Believe me you wouldn't want to work the hours I've done over the years.

I would have striked but the day the industrial action is planned for is a day I would be off anyway.

I never said anything about £80k+ a year so where did you get that from.

There is no need to make this personal. I worked very hard for the decade I was in the oil industry so don't talk to me about hard work and commitment. If you think working 120 days straight in the Saudi desert doing long shifts and up for days on end when necessary is easy think again. I've also studied at postgrad level thanks.

Anyway this isn't about ***** measuring but many public sector workers have no clue. The private sector is hard, we don't have unions or quasi-guilds to back us up, we can be sacked easily, lots of jobs have immense responsibility and conditions can be dreadful.

It's because of the toll my line of work takes that I am jacking it in. How many GP's quit each year because of the same reasons? Not many. They moan and make out things are terrible but EVERYONE does this in every job I have seen.
Old 30 May 2012, 11:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

You might be surprised then. One of my partners is planning to leave early because of pension disincentives to continue much longer. Another colleague is leaving this year perhaps earlier than she might if it wasn't for all the performance related stuff. My predecessor left because he was fed up with it. We are only four partners, in about 3 years probably only two. Speaking to others, they are not just moaning but are in a position to quit and I think will be likely to do so. The previous contract was driven partly by a recruitment crisis.
Old 30 May 2012, 11:20 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

You might be surprised then. One of my partners is planning to leave early because of pension disincentives to continue much longer. Another colleague is leaving this year perhaps earlier than she might if it wasn't for all the performance related stuff. My predecessor left because he was fed up with it. We are only four partners, in about 3 years probably only two. Speaking to others, they are not just moaning but are in a position to quit and I think will be likely to do so. The previous contract was driven partly by a recruitment crisis.
Sure but I already mentioned that the medical profession operates a kind of cartel which is a latent cause of any recruitment crisis. It's not a natural phenomenon that we train x number of Doctors per year, it is because society chooses to only train x number.

Anyway people take early retirement in all walks of life. A Doctor of 25, 30 years might not have to work to he/she is 65, it depends on your lifestyle. I guess I meant Doctor who have been doing it for say 5 years, 10 years and decide it is not worth their hassle as a career.
Old 31 May 2012, 06:57 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

In a nutshell, this problem relates to public sector pensions and not to pay levels.
The government policy is to pay less now (S/A deductions) and get the next generation to pay our generous pension policy.
Any idiot could see that along with long life expectancy and a bloated public sector, this is a car crash waiting to happen.
The governments and unions over the years have been complicit in what is basically a con.
Shame on them and TBF, anyone who supports the status quo.
People need to take personal responsibility for their future financial planning.
How many times have we seen it written on this site - If it seems to good to be true........?
Doctors, teachers, dentists etc. These are supposed to be educated people aren't they?
Old 31 May 2012, 09:03 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do they really retire on 63k a year pension as it stands ?
Old 31 May 2012, 09:31 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Maybe some do, but it isn't the norm around here!
Old 31 May 2012, 10:24 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Pete,

Have they been delivering the Daily Mail to your care home by mistake this week?
Old 31 May 2012, 11:52 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I'm in the business of saving MILLIONS of lives ...... every second of every day of every month of every year.

Whilst we ensure Mutual Assured Destruction of any state which attacks us, we remain safe in our beds.

I ask for no medals, no fat Pension will come my way, I receive a living wage - for all the above - you are getting an absolute bargain!!
...saving millions of lives, how so?....you are suffering grandiose delusions, just like Brown when he said he'd "saved the world".
Old 31 May 2012, 12:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Sure but I already mentioned that the medical profession operates a kind of cartel which is a latent cause of any recruitment crisis. It's not a natural phenomenon that we train x number of Doctors per year, it is because society chooses to only train x number.

One of my nieces has trained to be a doctor. She was at Uni for FIVE years and is now attached to a hospital somewhere in the SE doing FURTHER training for surgery.

IF she were to start now, that would mean that her TUITION fees alone would be in the region of £45,000 by the time she finished.
Add on another £25000 for digs and £17000 or so for upkeep/living, and she'd be into a debt of nearly £90,000........more than many mortgages.

I think that, in the future, either only those with VERY rich parents, or those who are very committed, will train for that long, at those prices.

Recruitment crisis coming up? Oh I think so..........
Old 31 May 2012, 12:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
...saving millions of lives, how so?....you are suffering grandiose delusions, just like Brown when he said he'd "saved the world".
You DO know what he does for a living, don't you?
Old 31 May 2012, 12:15 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Yes, he gathers up trolleys at his local Asda and parks them in the trolley parks and makes weapons of mass disruption.

Last edited by jonc; 31 May 2012 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Doctors Strike in June .....