Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is this an eBay scam?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2012, 11:48 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this an eBay scam?

Sold a phone on eBay, buyer paid via PayPal at the end of the auction.

Phone was sent out Royal Mail Special Delivery (insured upto £500) inwhich the buyer has told me he has received the package but the phone wasnt in the parcel. The phone was definitely in the parcel.

If he makes a claim against PayPal where will I stand?
Old 05 May 2012, 11:53 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surely you make the claim against Royal Snail as you paid insurance
Old 05 May 2012, 11:55 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Thats what I thought, I havent looked into yet like, will have to wait and see what happens with it.

Just wasnt sure if Royal Mail would pay out if the package has been delivered and its claimed the contents are missing??
Old 05 May 2012, 12:23 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of snuff that Royal Mail say package was delivered - tough.

dl
Old 05 May 2012, 12:27 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of snuff that Royal Mail say package was delivered - tough.

dl
The package has been delivered. Buyer says so and so does Royal Mail tracking system... but just wondering what Royal Mails stance would be if they're being told the contents of the package are missing upon delivery
Old 05 May 2012, 12:30 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

If the contents were missing then there would have been evidence of opening and the buyer wouldn't have signed for it.

Sorry to say but it smacks of a scam to me..........

Shaun
Old 05 May 2012, 12:32 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Mmm this is a tough one to call, the rotten ebayer, they always find a way to blag.
Love to see the outcome of this.
Report the iemi number as stolen then it will be turned off
Old 05 May 2012, 12:32 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi, this looks like you are going to be scammed by the buyer.
Specilal delivery is a very closely monitored service by royal mail (due to the high value of the items sent).
This means that it is less likely that an item sent by special delivery will get messed about within royal mail and so this is why I think you are being scammed.
If the buyer has signed for the item then royal mail will not be interested in you or the buyer making a valid claim - so normally buyer beware and tough luck.
The problem you have is that paypal nearly always side with the buyer (depending on how they dispute the transaction).
If buyer claims non receipt, then you can provide paypal with the tracking number and signature details and you could be ok.
If they claim item recieved damaged then paypal more likely to side with the buyer.
Royal mail have investigation team to deal with missing special delivery items and I have mentioned this to buyers ( along with fact that team comprises former detectives who will need to interview buyer and take statements etc.)- funnily enough buyers then mysteriously found the goods!
Best of luck - and be really careful how you play this one as you are potentially looking at being without phone and the money!!!
Cheers
steve
Old 05 May 2012, 12:37 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

It does sound like you have been scammed by the buyer. You have no proof you sent the phone as such other than you sent a package...

I only sell phones and similar stuff on fleabay and scumtree as 'buyer collects'

Last edited by The Zohan; 05 May 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05 May 2012, 12:44 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Mmm this is a tough one to call, the rotten ebayer, they always find a way to blag.
Love to see the outcome of this.
Report the iemi number as stolen then it will be turned off
No longer no the IEMI number as was on the phone and wasnt on a contract so assume Vodafone wont know it

Originally Posted by steve05wrx
Hi, this looks like you are going to be scammed by the buyer.
Specilal delivery is a very closely monitored service by royal mail (due to the high value of the items sent).
This means that it is less likely that an item sent by special delivery will get messed about within royal mail and so this is why I think you are being scammed.
If the buyer has signed for the item then royal mail will not be interested in you or the buyer making a valid claim - so normally buyer beware and tough luck.
The problem you have is that paypal nearly always side with the buyer (depending on how they dispute the transaction).
If buyer claims non receipt, then you can provide paypal with the tracking number and signature details and you could be ok.
If they claim item recieved damaged then paypal more likely to side with the buyer.
Royal mail have investigation team to deal with missing special delivery items and I have mentioned this to buyers ( along with fact that team comprises former detectives who will need to interview buyer and take statements etc.)- funnily enough buyers then mysteriously found the goods!
Best of luck - and be really careful how you play this one as you are potentially looking at being without phone and the money!!!
Cheers
steve
The buyer never requested special delivery nor did I state on the advert it would be, so he couldnt have planned this.

Originally Posted by The Zohan
When you posted the package they must have weighted it. Give the phone was in there the package will be a certain weight.

As the buyer to write to you explaining exactly what was in the package when it arrived. If they respond say it was empty ie no brick or anything in it to make it feel heavier that just the packing then it is down to RM or the buyer as you sent a package that was a certain weight when sent - left you care and in between something happened to it.

It does sound like you have been scammed by the buyer.
Good idea, I have already asked him to tell me whats in the package and descibe the envelpope.

To be honest he sent me the msg this morning and I replied straight away and i've not heard back from him and he hasnt raised anything through PayPal or eBay so I dunno if he's maybes given up... or found the phone in the envelope
Old 05 May 2012, 01:03 PM
mystery_machine
Scooby Regular

If he had to sign for it he won't have a leg to stand on because you should always check that everything in the package is ok before you sign, no matter how long that takes!

This is of course my view only
Old 05 May 2012, 01:07 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

^^^^ he's right I belive
Or to protect yourself I sign it as unchecked. If he has signed as just a signature then he should have checked contents before signing
Old 05 May 2012, 02:50 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As said above, "signed for" means he's accepted it.
If he still disputes it, I would ask him to weigh the entire packaging. It should match the declared weight when posted.
Old 05 May 2012, 03:43 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Had same thing, but buyer waited 5 days before telling me. I'd already withdrawn my funds from PayPal by this time though so also cancelled billing card from account so PayPal couldn't take it back. Good job I did as he filed a claim with paypal and they awarded in his favour. Royal mail didn't want to know, said it was delivered ok.
I know the guy was scamming me, but luckily all I lost was a good eBay seller account. Not sold on eBay since that time. Bunch of thieving scumbags.
Old 05 May 2012, 03:45 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXBOB
Had same thing, but buyer waited 5 days before telling me. I'd already withdrawn my funds from PayPal by this time though so also cancelled billing card from account so PayPal couldn't take it back. Good job I did as he filed a claim with paypal and they awarded in his favour. Royal mail didn't want to know, said it was delivered ok.
I know the guy was scamming me, but luckily all I lost was a good eBay seller account. Not sold on eBay since that time. Bunch of thieving scumbags.
Didnt PayPal chase you for the money? Debt collection etc?
Old 05 May 2012, 03:49 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

As I say, he messaged me first thing this morning and I replied instantly telling him it was in the package... would've thought he would have been back on by now if he was wanting to follow it up. Reckon he's either changed his mind or found the phone

... I've actually messaged him twice asking for confirmation and have had nothing back in reply to either.

If he was a proper scammer really think I'd of heard from eBay/PayPal by now.
Old 05 May 2012, 03:52 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

as hinted above. The first you should do is withdraw the money from paypal as they will help themselves to it the second the buyer opens a dispute.
Old 05 May 2012, 03:54 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonNedly
as hinted above. The first you should do is withdraw the money from paypal as they will help themselves to it the second the buyer opens a dispute.
Done.

Can they take it back from my bank account though?
Old 05 May 2012, 04:38 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a scam to me too. I suspect he didn't expect it to be special delivery and would have claimed he never received anything and his plan has fallen through.
Old 05 May 2012, 04:45 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Paypal will remove the money from your account and put you in a negative state and you will not be able to use the account

Was the paypal transaction marked as seller protection eligible.

If so - and you can prove that it was sent to the address ie the royal mail tracking receipts then they may still remove the money - but will refund it after their investigation takes place

For one of the items I had an issues with the investigation took 5 days and the money was put back - not sure what happened to the buyer as they were removed from ebay the next day.

But agreed sounds like a scam but if you have seller protection eligible you should be covered
Old 05 May 2012, 06:45 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

It's almost certainly a scam. There seem to be lots of reports of this kind of thing, with the scammer usually hoping the seller refunds expecting to the money back from Royal Mail. Because he signed for the delivery Royal Mail will almost certainly not pay out, at least not without an investigation - if they can be arsed.

Obviously keep all the paperwork from royal mail (receipt from posting and proof of delivery), but it's not clear Paypal will take much notice of this. Does the special delivery receipt note the weight of the package? If so this may help prove that the phone was in the package when you posted it. If so, get the buyer to describe exactly what was in the package. If he just claims it was empty this would be inconsistent with the weight on posting so prove that he is trying it on.
Old 05 May 2012, 09:29 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above can be scam,buyer will keep the mobile and he will get money too from PP.

And about the PP,i would transfer money from your PP account into your bank,usually takes no more than 3 working/business days and plus if you have direct debit,cancel the direct debit and you should be OK

Next thing will be if PP would like from you this amount,when your account will be debited(or simply will be in minus),you have few options,but on Google you will fidn lots of opinions on Paypal Debt collection or collectors,my advise don't pay

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...lection-agency

Jura
Old 05 May 2012, 09:40 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Delete all your card numbers from paypal too incase they might happen to take money from them
Old 07 May 2012, 10:02 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Quick update... He has opened a case through eBay so will just have to see how this one plays out. Cant really see how PayPal could side with him, I do have their protection as it was a standard eBay auction. I have the receipt which proves the weight and he signed for the thing on special delivery.

My PayPal is now in minus figures so cant remove bank account from PayPal so will take trip to the bank tomorrow to stop any direct debits.

I've sent him a message informing that as I have sent it and he hasnt had it, the only option is that it has been stolen whilst with Royal Mail, so will be reported to the police as theft and they'll be around to his house for a statement. Said i'd also be informing them that this was a possible fraud case.

... Mohammed Sohail, you wont get away with this
Old 07 May 2012, 10:08 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Sounds standard so far

Check the paypal account - you will need a green eligble under seller protection to be covered

You will be required to scan and upload the receipt, so be prepared for that

Does he have 100% feedback?
Old 07 May 2012, 10:12 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DemonDave
Sounds standard so far

Check the paypal account - you will need a green eligble under seller protection to be covered

You will be required to scan and upload the receipt, so be prepared for that

Does he have 100% feedback?
He did have 100% up until 3rd May 2012 when he received negative feedback for selling someone 3 dodgy laptops
Old 08 May 2012, 06:17 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

report the phone stolen block the phone, you have the weight of parcel on receipt to prove it was there, ask him for photo of parcel and the weight.

as you used special delivery guarantee hes having you over

ive been there done it and lost!!!

result paypal was neg 500 quid, i told paypal to sod off im not paying unless a judge says so, take me to court, after a few calls they went away and i opened up another paypal account

this was two years ago

Last edited by apples24; 08 May 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08 May 2012, 07:57 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by M4RKG

... Mohammed Sohail, you wont get away with this
No 40 virgin's for him
Old 09 May 2012, 01:52 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

hmmm, the name is a surprise , what was his feedback like , not many as a guess, 99% a scam
Old 09 May 2012, 07:58 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Bloody scam artists!

Good luck sorting this fella.

Quick Reply: Is this an eBay scam?