Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Using a mobile phone while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2012, 03:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Using a mobile phone while driving.

Just walked it to the local post box. It's along a raod leading from a primary school which in turn, leads onto a through route across town, so traffic was backed up a bit.
It's no more than 1/4 mile round trip, and I saw SEVEN people making their way through the traffic whislt using a hand-held phone. Four female, three male.

How thick ARE these people?

Oh well, the cameras will catch them.........oh.........wait......
Old 04 May 2012, 05:37 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's nothing they should try eating a sandwich as well, it's a right pain the **** to control the car
Old 04 May 2012, 08:30 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ant
That's nothing they should try eating a sandwich as well, it's a right pain the **** to control the car
..... or drinking a beer, or having a **** - but not both at the same time
Old 04 May 2012, 09:09 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I saw a girl behind me with a mug of coffee on the morning drive to work. Still, nothing infuriates me more than the mobile phone drivers, doing 15mph up the road. Stick out like a drunk driver, and nearly as dangerous.
When I do the phone hand signal, they sheepishly lower it just to raise it again when they think I'm not looking. It should be 3 points straight off, its not taken seriously enough.
Old 04 May 2012, 09:21 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Wow, the mobile phone police wannabe. I know what handsignal I'd give you, and no, I never phone and drive except on the handsfree
Old 04 May 2012, 09:28 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
Wow, the mobile phone police wannabe. I know what handsignal I'd give you, and no, I never phone and drive except on the handsfree
Are you saying its ok? I just know some poor kid will be killed, or worse paralysed by a chump on a mobile phone driving.
If you think I am being somehow out of order for giving a knowing handsignal to a dangerous driver then you are the chump. Mobile phone drivers apologist?
Old 04 May 2012, 09:31 PM
Bargain Bucket
Scooby Newbie

I was nearly hit today my some young bint texting whilst driving. There's just no excuse for being so bloody dumb !!
Old 04 May 2012, 09:35 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
Are you saying its ok? I just know some poor kid will be killed, or worse paralysed by a chump on a mobile phone driving.
If you think I am being somehow out of order for giving a knowing handsignal to a dangerous driver then you are the chump. Mobile phone drivers apologist?
I think you are probably the sort that is sad enough to man the mobile speed camera vans at weekend.....chump.
Old 04 May 2012, 09:40 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I think you are probably the sort that is sad enough to man the mobile speed camera vans at weekend.....chump.
Nice. You are ****ing this site up.

Do you think that driving with a mobile is ok? No, because you use handsfree. Do you think drink driving is ok? Probably no, because you will not drink and drive. Both are arguably as dangerous as the other (dependent on the amount drunk obviosly) but you wouldn't try to do something to stop a driver using the mobile phone?

By the way, as we are saying what i'd probably do at the weekend. Id probably man your sister.
Old 04 May 2012, 09:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What an utterly stupid post.

Jurt shows the calibre of the folk we are getting on here now.

Your username suits you mate. I hope you need advice on your car in the near future........
Old 04 May 2012, 09:58 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Do you think that driving with a mobile is ok? No, because you use handsfree. Do you think drink driving is ok? Probably no, because you will not drink and drive. Both are arguably as dangerous as the other (dependent on the amount drunk obviosly) but you wouldn't try to do something to stop a driver using the mobile phone?

By the way, as we are saying what i'd probably do at the weekend. Id probably man your sister.
Old 04 May 2012, 10:00 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Sorry, a moment of weakness. Not constructive at all.
Old 04 May 2012, 10:10 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

whilst waiting at a T junction recently a Police van went past me and the driver was using a hand held mobile phone.

About 5 cars later a Police car went past the same junction and the female driver was also using a hand held mobile phone. Speaking to her colleague in the van in front, no doubt.

F*cking hypocrites!
Old 04 May 2012, 10:11 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

In my opinion, hands free can be as dangerous as hand held. It's not the action of holding the phone that is dangerous, it is the concentration you give the conversation.

So, calling the wife to tell her you are on your way home is fine, but answering a technical question on gas dispersion posed by an engineer at a major refinery is dangerous.

Steve
Old 04 May 2012, 10:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I think they should up the penalty to 3pts and a 7 day ban the first time, 6pts and a 28 day ban the second, and 9pts and 1 year off the road the third time, with points becoming active AFTER the ban expires. When caught you can drive for a further 2 hours to move your car to where you would normally keep it, but then the ban begins, with reasonable consideration if you are more than maybe 40 miles from home. Fining people doesn't deter them, especially the wealthy. Inconveniencing people is what is needed to get them to listen.

Last edited by corradoboy; 04 May 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04 May 2012, 10:47 PM
sunnyjones003
Scooby Regular

well i got to admit i was caught by the fuzz while texting........................................han dbrake was up at the road works i had enough time to text and make a phone call by the time the green light switched over. 3 points, thanks.

work that out

Last edited by sunnyjones003; 04 May 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04 May 2012, 11:25 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

An example of why you probably got 3 points is:

Whilst you're waiting at the front of the queue at a red light, listening to your radio and looking down at your phone writing the text message, a line of cars could be waiting for you to move out of the way because behind them is an ambulance trying to get through.
Paying attention aren't just required whilst moving.
Old 05 May 2012, 07:42 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I say scrap points and make people pay bigger fines. If they don't pay within 28days they take the car.... For those with masses of cash... Repeat offenders do prison time with mrmadcap for a bumming session
Old 05 May 2012, 08:17 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't just draw an arbitrary line and say, "you will kill someone by using a phone while driving"; that's dishonest. There are a lot of things to consider and everyone is different. If you could measure 'safety', some people will be less dangerous while using a phone than others who aren't. That's the truth - not the easy answer. But no doubt arbitrary lines have to exist.
Old 05 May 2012, 08:21 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
You can't just draw an arbitrary line and say, "you will kill someone by using a phone while driving"; that's dishonest. There are a lot of things to consider and everyone is different. If you could measure 'safety', some people will be less dangerous while using a phone than others who aren't. That's the truth - not the easy answer. But no doubt arbitrary lines have to exist.
Old 05 May 2012, 09:11 AM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Now I get confused on this matter.

They say that its not the holding the phone that's the problem its the lack of concentration you put into the driving because your in a deep conversation. If this is the case then surely you will lose just as much while holding a conversation with a passenger.

If the case is because your a phone then what about all the taxi drivers, wagon drivers, cop ect on c,b's and walkie talkies.

By no way do I condone using a mobile phone while driving and it pisses me off when I do see someone doing so wether its for an emergency phonecall, a sexy text to the other half of updating there facebook status.
Old 05 May 2012, 09:12 AM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Double post,
But while I think about it, I have an ap on my phone called Voxer, this acts like a walkie talkie, do you think I would get away while using this?

Last edited by burbling1; 05 May 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05 May 2012, 09:13 AM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Instead of spending £millions on research into the dangers of driving whilst using a mobile phone, the Government should have just asked you!

Let me guess.............

Your driving is compleatly unaffected while your using your mobile phone?

And you are also as good as Sebastian Loab behind the wheel after you've had a drink!
Old 05 May 2012, 09:40 AM
Silver Knight
Scooby Regular

Driving to the office this morning on the Motorway, I looked over to my left and there was a woman in a brand new Subaru doing 65 miles per hour with her face up next to her rear view mirror putting on her eyeliner!

I looked away for a couple seconds and when I looked back she was halfway over in my lane, still working on that makeup!!! It scared me (I'm a man) so bad, I dropped my electric shaver, which knocked the donut out of my other hand.

In all the confusion of trying to straighten out the car using my knees against the steering wheel, it knocked my cell phone away from my ear which fell into the coffee between my legs, splashed and burned Big Jim and the Twins, ruined the damn phone and DISCONNECTED AN IMPORTANT CALL!

WOMEN DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05 May 2012, 09:43 AM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Knight
Driving to the office this morning on the Motorway, I looked over to my left and there was a woman in a brand new Subaru doing 65 miles per hour with her face up next to her rear view mirror putting on her eyeliner!

I looked away for a couple seconds and when I looked back she was halfway over in my lane, still working on that makeup!!! It scared me (I'm a man) so bad, I dropped my electric shaver, which knocked the donut out of my other hand.

In all the confusion of trying to straighten out the car using my knees against the steering wheel, it knocked my cell phone away from my ear which fell into the coffee between my legs, splashed and burned Big Jim and the Twins, ruined the damn phone and DISCONNECTED AN IMPORTANT CALL!

WOMEN DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ouch, there goes another rib!
Old 05 May 2012, 10:10 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

as always, we must be careful what we wish for - this is already here, with insurance co's putting "black boxes" in people cars

in sense this takes away the arbitrary lines, and you get a very personal profile of your driving safety/ability
Old 05 May 2012, 10:31 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

True. Although the black boxes are voluntary...
Old 05 May 2012, 10:36 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Twin Fields
Instead of spending £millions on research into the dangers of driving whilst using a mobile phone, the Government should have just asked you!

Let me guess.............

Your driving is compleatly unaffected while your using your mobile phone?

And you are also as good as Sebastian Loab behind the wheel after you've had a drink!
Both of your last points are correct.
Old 05 May 2012, 11:37 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You are a double dyed pratt for that post.

Myles is absolutely right with his attitude to mobile phone users while driving and the danger involved in such behaviour is very real.

I think the penalties should be very harsh even for a first offence, it is akin to dangerous driving!

Les
Old 05 May 2012, 12:11 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Red face

A few years ago I was cycling home from work, approaching a set of lights, when a black BMW swerved into the bike/bus lane and missed me by inches as I had to brake hard. Now I'm used to close calls with city centre cycling and tend not to react, but this was seriously close and at speed.

So, BMW gets stopped at lights in front of me and I pull up beside the guy and you guessed it, he's busy chatting on the phone with the phone lodged between his shoulder and ear, whilst smoking a ***.

I tap his window and he looks up, rolls his eyes, ignores me and carries on his conversation. Tap tap again, this time a bit more solidly.

This time he puts his window right down and says "hang on Tony, some arsehole cyclist has a point to make", he then looks at me and says "WTF do you want, can't you see I'm on the phone".

So I 'calmy' see red and utterly lose the plot with this pompous c***, grab his phone and launch it as far as i could, over the back of the houses at the side of the road and into the fields behind. Never said a word to him (though in hindsight 'not now you're not', would have been good).

Yes, he could have run me over as I cycled away and yes, as per usual I didn't fully think about the consequences of my actions. Stupid, yes, but to this day, I'm glad he didn't get out the car as I hate to think what would have happened to one or both of us, all because of an idiot on the phone.

PS Save any anti-cyclist comments as I would have acted the same way had I been driving.

Quick Reply: Using a mobile phone while driving.