Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flashers - you saved me £60 Speeding Fine - THANKS!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2002, 06:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

To all the cars that came towards me flashing their lights THANKS - I got the message, slowed to around 26mph (from about 37!!) turned the bend only to be faced with a police van, rear doors open, pointing his camera at the bend!!!!!

Now, this bend is NOT an accident black-spot - what it IS however is a lucrative money spinner!! National speed limit drops to 30mph for about 3/4 mile then back up to national limit again!! This 30mph applies through an 'S' bend.

I thought it was illegal to alert motorists to the exsistance of a speed trap - is this the case?? anyway Thanks to them all!!!

Pete

[Edited by pslewis - 5/5/2002 6:57:18 PM]
Old 05 May 2002, 07:23 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe they were all impreza owners in their others cars , or to warn you of an impending accident spot and to take it easy . Or your shiny silver wheels were blinding them

[Edited by chrisp - 5/5/2002 7:24:41 PM]
Old 05 May 2002, 08:00 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Passed one yesterday on the B3349, again with the camera pointing at cars coming down hill round a corner.

Cheeky sods had the van parked on a public footpath too.

Looks like the Super's Christmas party is under threat due to lack of funds.
Old 05 May 2002, 08:21 PM
Blitz_Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

we get loadsa mobile gatso cameras in Essex and other motorists are happy to warn each other by flashing and NO its not because you drive a scoobie!!
Old 05 May 2002, 08:39 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

Speaking of Essex, those roadworks on the M11 are Gatso Hell
Old 05 May 2002, 09:16 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Anyone from the saafend lot see the portable one on the drive up from the retail park
Old 05 May 2002, 09:18 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

To Nigel and all those that live around Farnborough etc, the police are having their two week speed gun, rake the cash in blitz - so be very careful in all 30s!!!!!!!! Esp. the run down and to the Barons BMW garage.

They've even started radar-gunning in Tongham, so take care!!

DP.

Trending Topics

Old 05 May 2002, 09:35 PM
ukhuskynox
Scooby Regular

DP is indeed correct....also on Reading Road South, Fleet this afternoon !
Old 05 May 2002, 09:43 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

...and Yateley this evening

Nath
Old 05 May 2002, 10:57 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hey DP, I was driving in Tongham on Poyle Road, the other day and this guy on the pavement was waving frantically at me so I slow down and lo and behold I go round the bend and a plod is lurking behind some box on the pavement with a speed gun. He's wearing dayglo and then hides !

He knew he'd been rumbled, even shook his head as I went past...

Simon
Old 05 May 2002, 11:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

I gave the coppa a 2 fingered wave as I went by - is that illegal??

They are doing so much damage to the image of the police, by being sneaky, its so clear its all about collecting money!!

Pete
Old 06 May 2002, 12:20 AM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

I was on the M2 yeaterday and there are loads through the roadworks.They were ALL active as my snooper picked them up.
Old 06 May 2002, 05:13 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

- Don't know whether it is illegal to 'warn' other road users of accident blackspots but it surely can't be illegal to have recently been driving a vehicle with washer / lights stalks the other way round and have been intending to wash your windscreen instead of flashing lights ?????
Old 06 May 2002, 05:30 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Cool

That's my excuse if i was to ever get pulled for warning other drivers of mobile cash demanders, oops, i mean speed enforcement traps.

Anyway, if you are warning drivers and they ARE slowing down then surely you're contributing to road safety?

DP.

Old 06 May 2002, 10:59 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

'Attempting to pervert the course of justice' would be the offence in question. Difficult to prove.

Anyway we need to stick together. It's getting silly.

TONY
Old 07 May 2002, 12:01 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Is confronting a burglar and making them think twice about comitting a crime "perverting the course of justice".

If the intent is to get people to slow then job done.
Old 07 May 2002, 12:49 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Angry

(Rant mode activated)
Don't usually get into these debates but have to say that "perverting the course of justice"? My **** it is, if a policeman were to say this to me I think I'd be inclined to give him/her a right earful.

You can flash your lights at whoever you want to, if there's a danger around the next bend you'd do it (I often do) so why not when there's a speed trap? It's obvously sited at an accident blackspot anyway, why else would it be there?????

I don't speed in built up areas and I try drive according to the conditions at the time, but I'll be reamed out with a Swedish Fid before I let fellow motorists become a statistic which adds more fuel to the anti-car lobby who are trying to take away our freedom of movement on the roads we pay for just to suit their own political agenda.
(Full body massage activated)

Time for a lie down I think.

Dave
Old 07 May 2002, 07:22 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Dave

Chill out. Don't shoot the messenger!!!!!

TONY
Old 07 May 2002, 08:31 AM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'm with TonyB as regards the amount of speed checking(?) that I've witnessed this weekend. Almost all motoring publications have carried stories recently about how the no. of gatsos is increasing faster than bunnies can mate!!

Here's a tip for the police - set up a check outside any school in a morning. School-run mum's appear to have no concept of a speed limit but hell, I guess open roads present more of a danger to pedestrians than roads lined with kids................

DP.
Old 07 May 2002, 12:39 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

School Mums are the worst of all from my point of view! I cycle to work everyday and one of the main roads I use has 3 schools along it!

There is a cycle way - covered with kids. Then the road is chocka with 1 kid per Range Rover. They drive where they like, pull in where they like - doors flung open without a car, exit where they like, even 3 point turn regardless of anything else around them.

I have at least one near miss on the way to and from work every single day! Yet they look at you, as when you are driving, like "what?, what have i done?", or worst of all they didnt even know you were there!

As stated this is obviously safer than what "boy racers" are accused of on a clear bit of national speed limit... (hey remember I cycle there too, when not driving - worth thinking of next time you race line a back lane)

On bike - pesky cars
In car - pesky bikes :-)
Old 08 May 2002, 12:25 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

How many on here have lost all respect for the police just because of some **** with a camera in the back of a transit - he is so bl00dy smug too - why hasnt someone got rid of him yet???

Pete
Old 08 May 2002, 07:16 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

All this talk of flashing to warn oncoming motorists - is it illegal to talk about the location of GATSOs?
Daft

Joolz
Old 08 May 2002, 08:18 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Probably all heard this one before, Dad told me a couple of weeks ago, and I'm beginning to believe him...

An old woman, while sat alone in her lounge, sees two masked men burling her garden shed.

She phones the police to be told "We're a bit busy at the moment, but try again later..."

She phones back 5 mins later and tells them that they needn't bother to turn out as she has shot both the burglers!

5 minutes later, the cops turn up with two police cars and a helecopter, to charge the old woman with "wasting police time"

The burglers were, of course nowhere to be seen by this time.
Old 08 May 2002, 08:20 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Cool

And where were the police? Raking up the cash with mobile speed cameras, of course!!! D'oh

DP.

Old 08 May 2002, 08:36 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Wink

Certainly weren't trying to find the villains who smashed my old car's windows on two separate occasions...

...or trying to find the other villains who stole 8 of Dad's lorry wheels one night...

Just wondering if photography is a job requirement for the police now?

I suppose we just don't hear about the successes of the police, they don't make interesting news.
Old 10 May 2002, 11:59 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Quoth DNB : Probably all heard this one before, Dad told me a couple of weeks ago, and I'm beginning to believe him...
an old woman, while sat alone in her lounge, sees two masked men burling her garden shed.
She phones the police to be told "We're a bit busy at the moment, but try again later..."
She phones back 5 mins later and tells them that they needn't bother to turn out as she has shot both the burglers!
5 minutes later, the cops turn up with two police cars and a helecopter, to charge the old woman with "wasting police time"
The burglers were, of course nowhere to be seen by this time.

Sounds suspiciously like the tale that I posted on here a little while ago! It was the 4th time that she had been burgled which is why she had had enough. She wasn't that old, either! The police said that they thought she had said that she had shot the burglars and she replied that the police had told her that they were short on resources...
Old 05 June 2002, 09:31 AM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

drumsterphil cheers,

That part of the A325 is a particular favourite cash cow for the Police. You would have thought with all the money they have raised from that part of the road they could afford to put up more speed limit signs (if it was for safety of course LOL).

I think it is about time the Police were split, those that walk round town centres doing the job that they were employed to do, and the 'others' that are affiliated to the Inland Revenue.

The 'others' should be payed a similar rate to traffic wardens as at the end of the day how much intelligence does it take to point a laser gun at a car?

Nigel

[Edited by nigelward - 5/6/2002 9:32:44 AM]