Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone had a ring resized that had an engraving inside?

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2012, 12:08 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had a ring resized that had an engraving inside?

My Fiancee ordered her wedding ring from a local jeweller (I bought my own wedding ring from them at the same time and I already bought her engagement ring there) and got an engraving on the inside. The ring arrived and was perfect apart from a little tight. We decided to get it resized half a size larger. At the time we asked if it would have any impact on the engraving and the shop said they doubt it. The resizing is done offsite by a 3rd party.

Today she got the call that it has arrived back at the shop. When she asked a few questions it turns out that the people doing the resizing had to polish off the existing engraving and redo it. She is now concerned at this news as thinks she has lost some metal in the process.

Anyone have any experience with resizing and know if that’s standard procedure? I think I will try to lookup an engraver/resizer online and give them a call to ask how they do it for a 2nd opinion.

Its one of those situations where if they hadn’t of told us we probably wouldn’t have even noticed but as they have it makes you think especially as its not a cheap ring (platinum with diamonds) and its something she will wear pretty much every day. Just want to be armed with some info for when we go to check it over / pick it up.

Simon
Old 12 April 2012, 03:37 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

I'd have told the bird to lose weight - simples.
Old 12 April 2012, 04:41 PM
boogeyman
Scooby Regular

*snigger* she had her ring re-sized *snigger*

I doubt the engraving would have been that deep, however you are right that some metal would have been lost as they had to smooth it and engrave again. Platinum isn't cheap, even a µg is expensive.