Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do some people not undetstand "merge in turn"?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2012, 05:33 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do some people not undetstand "merge in turn"?

Just been forced into oncoming traffic by a trio of w@nkers who wouldn't let me merge between them after two lanes at the traffic lights merged back onto one, about 300 yds down the road. Next time I will just barge into them and take my car out in glory!

The reason why there are two lanes there is to help the flow of traffic, I purposely held back from the two cars in front of me in my lane, because I thought that would give everyone more room - I didn't realise that would stick me next to a bunch of selfish tw@ts who would rather sit in a single line of traffic all their lives.

Rant over.
Old 11 April 2012, 05:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Nah, nah nah, your queue jumping init!!!

Either that or they're driving with blinkers on!
Old 11 April 2012, 05:45 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

The same applies to motorways where it says a lane or two will be closed in 2 miles, 1 mile, x number of yards, yet people think it applies from the point of the first sign and do everything in their power to stop you getting passed on lanes that are still open.
Old 11 April 2012, 05:58 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Do what i do....

Pick a point which will merge you into the one lane and drive straight at it. Don't look at the car next to you at all. As long as your nose was in front of them to begin with, you will merge nicely.

Guaranteed the car besides you will give up first. You are simply driving correctly and forward and as you were in front in the first place, you have priority
Old 11 April 2012, 06:15 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Just come back from a trip to Ireland and I (we) were amazed by the number of people who went out of their way to block "merge in turn" or even be overtaken - thats in the UK, not Ireland by the way.

For instance, at the end of an overtaking lane, hanging back in o/side lane til the last few yards to pull in after having overtaken the line of cars so that I wouldn't overtake them.
When overtaking a slow accelerating car from a junction, to suddenly realise and put their foot down to close the (previously) large gap.
Bloke on the A1 last night would not pull over and tried to outdrag me in a BMW1 series every time the traffic cleared. Then finally, when the road in front of him was clear again, just nipped in behind the car that had just moved over and let me past. Didn't bother me but why try and stay in front just because and when I'm obviously going faster as I've caught you up? Strange.
We did note that most of these faster moving, blocking drivers were of a more advanced age.
However, the classic was this one - having pulled out from a side road, causing me to brake, then to get to an overtaking lane and 200m from the nearest car in front of her, to pull straight to the outside, despite the fact I had already started accelerating on her, closing the gap and indicating my intentions. There was so much clear space in front and she was accelerating so slowly herself, that I was able to move to the inside lane, put my foot down and easily pass her on the inside, get ahead 3 or 4 car lengths, then safely indicate to the outside lane and carry on. I flicked my hazards at her which got a barrage of flashing lights and carried on. I noticed her at the end of the overtaking lane (a few hundred yards behind at this point) crossing the double white lines in order to overtake another car. I carried on into Derry & stopped @ Tescos for some bits. Next thing I know there's a tapping on the window & I see a woman there, so wind it down a bit & its her! She starts having a go about undertaking at speed and that she's going to report me to the police. She asks if I'm English (English reg'd car) & I said yes (I'm not but its none of her business) and told her to leave us alone and tried to wind up the window but she stuck her fingers in and tried to stop it! Eventually she says "Go back to where you came from"!! I've never been the victim of such blatant racism before so I welcome it if she actually does go to the Police. She kept trying to shout and abuse me but I just waved her off and eventually she left at speed through the car park - some people eh?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a "progressive" driver but these people's attempts to block my progress are pathetic. I'll just bide my time, then pass them later on when it is safe again to do so. So what have they gained?
Old 11 April 2012, 07:18 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Just come back from a trip to Ireland and I (we) were amazed by the number of people who went out of their way to block "merge in turn" or even be overtaken - thats in the UK, not Ireland by the way.

For instance, at the end of an overtaking lane, hanging back in o/side lane til the last few yards to pull in after having overtaken the line of cars so that I wouldn't overtake them.
When overtaking a slow accelerating car from a junction, to suddenly realise and put their foot down to close the (previously) large gap.
Bloke on the A1 last night would not pull over and tried to outdrag me in a BMW1 series every time the traffic cleared. Then finally, when the road in front of him was clear again, just nipped in behind the car that had just moved over and let me past. Didn't bother me but why try and stay in front just because and when I'm obviously going faster as I've caught you up? Strange.
We did note that most of these faster moving, blocking drivers were of a more advanced age.
However, the classic was this one - having pulled out from a side road, causing me to brake, then to get to an overtaking lane and 200m from the nearest car in front of her, to pull straight to the outside, despite the fact I had already started accelerating on her, closing the gap and indicating my intentions. There was so much clear space in front and she was accelerating so slowly herself, that I was able to move to the inside lane, put my foot down and easily pass her on the inside, get ahead 3 or 4 car lengths, then safely indicate to the outside lane and carry on. I flicked my hazards at her which got a barrage of flashing lights and carried on. I noticed her at the end of the overtaking lane (a few hundred yards behind at this point) crossing the double white lines in order to overtake another car. I carried on into Derry & stopped @ Tescos for some bits. Next thing I know there's a tapping on the window & I see a woman there, so wind it down a bit & its her! She starts having a go about undertaking at speed and that she's going to report me to the police. She asks if I'm English (English reg'd car) & I said yes (I'm not but its none of her business) and told her to leave us alone and tried to wind up the window but she stuck her fingers in and tried to stop it! Eventually she says "Go back to where you came from"!! I've never been the victim of such blatant racism before so I welcome it if she actually does go to the Police. She kept trying to shout and abuse me but I just waved her off and eventually she left at speed through the car park - some people eh?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a "progressive" driver but these people's attempts to block my progress are pathetic. I'll just bide my time, then pass them later on when it is safe again to do so. So what have they gained?

Where are you from ?
Old 11 April 2012, 07:20 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can 100% believe everything you have wrote as I've seen it on the roads on Northern Ireland. A while back I had a fella pull out directly infront of me whilst heading into belfast, I had to swerve into the next lane. Drove up beside him and he gave me the finger?! WTF? I now work in Larne rather than Belfast and its only now heading to Belfast occasionally do I realise how stressful the drive actually is!
Old 11 April 2012, 07:34 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Ever heard of paragraphs?
Old 11 April 2012, 07:46 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the retards that use the outside lane as a racetrack to jump ahead of a few cars that ruin it for everyone .
Old 11 April 2012, 07:48 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

I did actually look over my shoulder at the guy in the mpv who closed the gap, tried a 'get out of my way swerve' but all he did was get within 2" of the BMW in front of him.
Absolutely no need, there was plenty of time and room for all of us to get on our way. I don't think the council would have spent so much money on creating a new lane if it wasn't meant to be used....
I don't know how insurance view these things, knock-for-knock I suppose, even though you are supposed to give way to the right in this country.
Old 11 April 2012, 07:55 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I always let one in... or two if they are hot hot hot
Old 11 April 2012, 08:34 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
I always let one in... or two if they are hot hot hot
Do you then follow them and text them?

Sorry dude couldn't resist
Old 11 April 2012, 10:06 PM
New_scooby_04

People that try and block perfectly safe overtaking opportunities just because they don't like the idea of someone getting in front of them boil my p*ss.

Usually the holier than thou "slow down: 40mph everywhere is adequate" brigade too. Of course they are oblivious to the fact that their attempts to impeed your progress by closing overtaking gaps, crossing to the wrong side of the road etc.. are far more dangerous than the fact that you might actually want to do NSL speeds on an NSL road.

These kinds of situations are where power comes in rather handy!!
Old 11 April 2012, 10:49 PM
Scooby Jo
Scooby Regular

I honestly think people see Subaru on the back of the car, disengage brain to "behave like a tw@t mode" and then tell their mates "I beat a Subaru today". We've had a dual carriageway nearby on merge to one lane for a while now and I just assume everyone is going to act like a t0sser. I'm not normally disappointed. I wonder sometimes if I am denting a few male ego's or whether they assume the car is not mine.

I do have my own way of getting revenge, sometimes if I am sitting in traffic but the oncoming traffic is moving ok, I will suck my thumb whilst leaning on the open window of my door. Provided they can't hit anyone, it's quite entertaining
Old 11 April 2012, 11:02 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

It has nothing to do with driving a fast car as its the mentality of people who drive that just don't like to be overtaken and they generally speed up if you do a sensible overtaking move on single lane roads as they don't want people going faster than them.
Old 12 April 2012, 07:29 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby Jo
I honestly think people see Subaru on the back of the car, disengage brain to "behave like a tw@t mode" and then tell their mates "I beat a Subaru today". We've had a dual carriageway nearby on merge to one lane for a while now and I just assume everyone is going to act like a t0sser. I'm not normally disappointed. I wonder sometimes if I am denting a few male ego's or whether they assume the car is not mine.

I do have my own way of getting revenge, sometimes if I am sitting in traffic but the oncoming traffic is moving ok, I will suck my thumb whilst leaning on the open window of my door. Provided they can't hit anyone, it's quite entertaining
Having met you, I can truly enjoy that image
Old 12 April 2012, 09:58 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Boro
Ever heard of paragraphs?
Yes, there are a number of them in that post, about 7. What is lacking is the [CR] between some of them...

Old 12 April 2012, 10:09 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Thing is, people should start to merge as and when its safe to do so, if we all thought we can use the whole stretch of lane 2 and merge right at the end the traffic will come to a stop (and thats what generally happens) so yes, it does my friggin tree in when you are told the road has been reduced to 40mph and you see some dick whiz past at 60 to the very front and push their way in slowing down lane one.

Personally I'll let someone or a couple in providing theyre travelling at the appropriate speed and not doing a last minute - anchors on - force your way in manouver. Then they get told what I think of them.
Old 12 April 2012, 10:44 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Nah, nah nah, YOU'RE queue jumping init!!!

Care to elaborate? Is one suggesting this practice is restricted to a specific ethnic group?

Last edited by Maz; 12 April 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12 April 2012, 10:49 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Always let the idiots through - better to be behind them than infront. Saves your anger and you'll be past them as soon as the road widens out again anyway...
Old 12 April 2012, 12:37 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

This is one of me and my Fiancee's pet hates. We were only just discussing it earlier this week.

Most normal logical people can comprehend that even when the outside of 2 lanes merges into the left i.e. just one arrow that if traffic is in both lanes you alternate vehicles. But some just tail the car in front to stop you coming over. For some reason they think that an outside lane was painted just for fun and no one should use it.

I was the 2nd car in the outside lane sat at some lights with a lorry in the left lane. Bloke in front pulls off ok but then slows down as he gets to the front of the lorry. I know the merge is coming up so let of the gas to let the lorry through. Bloke behind the lorry who is about 3 car spaces back then boots it right up to the back of the lorry specifically to block me turning in behind the lorry. I just beeped the horn and gave him the finger but he didnt even look out of his window.
Old 12 April 2012, 12:57 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Care to elaborate? Is one suggesting this practice is restricted to a specific ethnic group?
More restricted to a certain mentality than ethnic group.....you know.....morons!

In my experience it's usually middle aged men in rep mobiles/van drivers that are the worst cuprits!
Old 12 April 2012, 01:57 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
More restricted to a certain mentality than ethnic group.....you know.....morons!

In my experience it's usually middle aged men in rep mobiles/van drivers that are the worst cuprits!

Can't really argue with that.
The only problem with these merge in turn lanes is they require drivers to possess logic, patience and good road sense. Sadly these qualities are lacking in some drivers. Some consider it an affront to humanity if another driver uses the merger lane and ends up overtaking them. Others use the merger lane to whizz past slower moving traffic at a silly speed, and then slam on and push in at the last moment. I think they should be done away with as some of the general public clearly cannot use them as intended!
Old 12 April 2012, 02:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Does make me wonder why people are willing to argue over 20ft of tarmac

Being 20ft ahead in a traffic jams doesn't make much difference to how long it takes to get to a destination.

Personally in crawling traffic I'll let one person in front. Be it a junctions or lanes merging. Its not that they are making much difference.

I do however tend not to let people assume right of way and "push" into a space. Or ones where the driver looks clueless (i.e face about 1ft away from the windscreen, usually women and learners ). But thats just me being a moody old bugger.

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 April 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12 April 2012, 03:22 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Puff - the standard of driving here more times is shocking and has gotten worse.
In my opinion, it often involves ******* in either BMW's or Audi's

In the morning - every single morning, on the A2 from Bangor to Belfast, you will have a ratio of 10:2 cars in the overtaking lane compared to the inside lane.
They sit in the 60 zone (in the overtaking lane), doing usually 40-50 and still half asleep.
They wont move
If you decide to undertake, the b@stards speed up etc
Old 12 April 2012, 04:01 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
I think they should be done away with as some of the general public clearly cannot use them as intended!
How else do you get 2 lanes into 1? Using that logic you could do away with roundabouts and box junctons as well.
Old 12 April 2012, 04:32 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
How else do you get 2 lanes into 1? Using that logic you could do away with roundabouts and box junctons as well.
My comment wasn't meant to be taken literally.
Old 12 April 2012, 04:49 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by urban
Puff - the standard of driving here more times is shocking and has gotten worse.
In my opinion, it often involves ******* in either BMW's or Audi's

In the morning - every single morning, on the A2 from Bangor to Belfast, you will have a ratio of 10:2 cars in the overtaking lane compared to the inside lane.
They sit in the 60 zone (in the overtaking lane), doing usually 40-50 and still half asleep.
They wont move
If you decide to undertake, the b@stards speed up etc
Only 1 of my incidents happened in the North, the rest in Scotland/England. She was driving a Vauxhall Zafira & she pulled out onto the A6 at Killaloo about 19:00

But, come to think of it, there were a couple of dozy doxies (an Accord and a Golf) driving up the M2 from Belfast just after we got off the ferry. Would not move in, even when clear @ 60mph. I just eased past one of them then the other did a last minute dive @ Antrim through 2 cars for the sliproad
Old 12 April 2012, 04:52 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Why is it that some people can't understand that if they merged in turn early, like when there were big gaps to move into, matched their speed with the other trafficrather than flying past people who have queued for 10 minutes simply because their time is more valuable than everyone elses thus making the whole problem worse then we wouldn't need threads like this?

[Devil's advocate] but it's one reason that flexible limits work. By forcing people to drive a bit slower, you can keep traffic moving. Those shoving their way in at the front are also probably the same people who would rather spend their time in the right hand lane doing 60 mph than move into the left and keep the same speed up, thus helping the traffic clear because it is more spaced out. They are no doubt too busy berating everyone else for poor driving without even realising they are part of the problem. [/devil's advocate]

5t.
Old 12 April 2012, 05:23 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

But, come to think of it, there were a couple of dozy doxies (an Accord and a Golf) driving up the M2 from Belfast just after we got off the ferry. Would not move in, even when clear @ 60mph. I just eased past one of them then the other did a last minute dive @ Antrim through 2 cars for the sliproad
Sounds about right.
The encounters I experience on non bmw/audi cars hogging the overtaking lane is that the occupants are not from around this part of the world.

Quick Reply: Why do some people not undetstand "merge in turn"?