Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Temp job question

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2012, 09:43 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp job question

My daughter was caught up in the NHS cuts so has been looking for another job and found a temp job through an agency. Just clerical £8.00 per hour so fine while she was looking for suitable NHS post which are like hen's teeth at the moment. Sh told agency what her situation was about looking for a permanent position.

So she started her temp job and was doing fine but she has been offered an NHS post which starts in about 6 weeks. The firm she was temping for found out and slung her out today (on week's notice I assume).

I thought this was a bit rough although, of course, they have every right to do this.

So have I misunderstood the role of a temp? I thought temp meant temporary and was typically for a short period while the employer needed some help on a short term basis or until the employee left for their own reasons.

David
Old 04 April 2012, 09:56 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Problem is, there is no contract between you (the temp employee) and the employer. You are contracted to the Agency and they can let you go as and when they see fit. Just the way it is Im afraid.
Old 04 April 2012, 09:57 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Im doing the same at the moment and looking for a job is a ball ache, everything nowadays seems to be through an agency, and you have to jump through hoops most of the time from what I can make out. Its a **** world out there now if you are looking for a job.
Old 05 April 2012, 06:01 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Recently the Temp law changed (I think it was October 2011) this change means they have more rights, however it does depend on the time they have been with thecompany ?(i again think it needs to be a 12 week perios excluding holidays or sickness) before the rules kick in.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...cies/DG_173252 scroll down it has a link to the new rule bits.

My understanding is you get allot of the rights of a permanant employee with regards to discipline etc and the job termination procedures, I think one thing they don't get is sick pay.

It would also depend on what has been agreed etc as some differencies may occur from employers.

Last edited by PaulC72; 05 April 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07 April 2012, 09:14 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I have done a few years in my life as a temp and its a bit crap, i heard the rules were changing, but i was made permanent before the change so never looked into it further.

Agency workers usually get shat on the most in my experience.
Old 07 April 2012, 09:23 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davegtt
Im doing the same at the moment and looking for a job is a ball ache, everything nowadays seems to be through an agency, and you have to jump through hoops most of the time from what I can make out. Its a **** world out there now if you are looking for a job.
There has to be something wrong with the job market if these middlemen are in there taking a cut - basically like parasites in a sense. Seems a bit daft, to be honest, but it must be beneficial somehow?
Old 07 April 2012, 11:17 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Theyre paying someone to take the hassle out of all the interviewing and shifting through piles of CV's. A company willing to pay £10 an hour still pays £10 an hour for the role, unfortunately as everyone needs a job most people will take £8 an hour and the agency takes £2 for doing - well, not much really.