Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool...do you live there???

Search this Thread

Old 29 February 2012, 04:27 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool...do you live there???

What are your thoughts?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/english-cit...ug-gangs-.html
Old 29 February 2012, 04:35 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Work in Liverpool, wouldn't bother me going to any areas, some are a bit rough but certainly not no go.
Old 29 February 2012, 04:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, no go area Liverpool, it is full of Scousers you see.
Old 29 February 2012, 04:41 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I grew up in L'pool, going back certainly strikes me as a lot cleaner than it was 10years ago.....

Birmingham is just a concrete cesspit at the best of times, closest I will ever be to the City is the outside lane of the M6 Toll
Old 29 February 2012, 04:49 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

You'll get a good curry in Birmingham though
Old 29 February 2012, 05:13 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Wow, that's absurd, Brazil and Mexico are nowhere near that bad!
Old 29 February 2012, 05:14 PM
burbs
Scooby Regular

Born and lived in Handsworth in Birmingham for 16 years, which is supposedly the roughest area in the city but I wouldn't say it's any worse than certain areas in other city's. Definatly not any no go areas in my opinion

Trending Topics

Old 29 February 2012, 06:10 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Manchester and Liverpool are a lot better than they were 20 years ago.

No idea about Birmingahm and couldn't care less, it's a sh1thole!
Old 29 February 2012, 06:14 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Old 29 February 2012, 06:19 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Manchester is the best but still a dump on the whole except for a small part of the city. It's nice with the Christmas market but otherwise grim. Actually the Northern Quarter is not so bad with its cafes and boutique stuff and bars. As for living there you need to get at least 5 miles away from the city center as it's a wasteland of grim housing. All the new apartments thrown up around town are ****e too.
Old 29 February 2012, 06:25 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grown up in Manchester on one of the worse council estates in the area. And trust me it's not as bad as Mexico and Brazil.
Old 29 February 2012, 06:26 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Manchester is the best but still a dump on the whole except for a small part of the city. It's nice with the Christmas market but otherwise grim. Actually the Northern Quarter is not so bad with its cafes and boutique stuff and bars. As for living there you need to get at least 5 miles away from the city center as it's a wasteland of grim housing. All the new apartments thrown up around town are ****e too.
It's not that bad
Old 29 February 2012, 06:34 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by juggers
It's not that bad
I used to think that until I actually visited some nice cities such as Perth, Melbourne in Australia, Amsterdam, New York. Even somewhere like Budapest has way more class and culture.

The best thing about Manchester is the 19th century legacy left by buildings, viaducts, canals etc etc. They did a half-arsed job in castlefield of making something of this, but threw up eyesore new flats which are are just totally schizophrenic architecturally and discordant with the old stuff. A lot of the 80's/90's redevelopment stuff like around the old docks looks really **** now.

As for the surrounding suburbs it is just a grim conurbation. It doesn't get nice until you get to Sale going south. I'd rather live out in Cheshire more TBH.
Old 29 February 2012, 07:01 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I used to think that until I actually visited some nice cities such as Perth, Melbourne in Australia, Amsterdam, New York. Even somewhere like Budapest has way more class and culture.

The best thing about Manchester is the 19th century legacy left by buildings, viaducts, canals etc etc. They did a half-arsed job in castlefield of making something of this, but threw up eyesore new flats which are are just totally schizophrenic architecturally and discordant with the old stuff. A lot of the 80's/90's redevelopment stuff like around the old docks looks really **** now.

As for the surrounding suburbs it is just a grim conurbation. It doesn't get nice until you get to Sale going south. I'd rather live out in Cheshire more TBH.
I live in the CH post code, but to be honest other than lower car insurance, its not all that good ..
Old 29 February 2012, 07:34 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Other than parts of Oldham (which isnt really part of Manchester IMO) there are no real bad areas that you can no go areas, Oldham has its sections though for the whites/muslims
Old 29 February 2012, 07:40 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I live in the CH post code, but to be honest other than lower car insurance, its not all that good ..
On The Wirral then
Old 29 February 2012, 08:13 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I don't like any of them to be honest! Milton Keynes is always the best for me. Killings, rapes and muggings. We have it all

Oh, and if you do a wrong turn just turn around at the next roundabout. None of this oneway wait at lights ****e.
Old 29 February 2012, 08:17 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Other than parts of Oldham (which isnt really part of Manchester IMO) there are no real bad areas that you can no go areas, Oldham has its sections though for the whites/muslims
I don't go north of Ancoats street much, and if I do I keep my car doors locked.
Old 29 February 2012, 08:21 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
I don't like any of them to be honest! Milton Keynes is always the best for me. Killings, rapes and muggings. We have it all

Oh, and if you do a wrong turn just turn around at the next roundabout. None of this oneway wait at lights ****e.
I spend at least one week a night in MK, roundabout city
Old 29 February 2012, 10:21 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

25 years ago manchester center was dodgy at night, no longer the case now, one of the best places for pubs, entertainment and shopping etc, if I had a few quid i'd have an apartment there.
Collyhurst & Miles platting were no go ish when I was a kid, dont know now.

I live in a 'none desirable area' of Cornwall now but with 12 convictions last month compared to nearly 300 in Failsworth says it all

www.Police.uk
Old 29 February 2012, 11:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'd say Johannesburg is far worse than Birmingham.

Brum has improved in some parts, but like any large city its full of ******* trying to play the hard man gangsta and out for something for nothing.

They tried to riot in sympaphy with Tottenham...a few paddy wagons soon kicked most of them into touch lol. Barring the ones that decided to go and do some hit and runs, who also didn't get far and will be serving some well deserved jail-time.
Old 29 February 2012, 11:59 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Brasil rocks, I would spend a weekend there over the ****e hole that is manchester any day.
Old 01 March 2012, 12:18 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I like Scousers. Great accent and sense of humour
Old 01 March 2012, 12:45 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

First of all to all those slagging of Birmingham i hope you get toothache (on a Saturday evening! - even better if Monday is a bank holiday!). You know the one that makes giving birth feel like taking a dump? Or so i'm led to believe.

Anyway whoever wrote this report can **** right off!

Birmingham is lovely. Granted just like anywhere in the world there are areas where you would be daft to go for a midnight stroll as the local bored yoofs will mug/kick **** out of you and there are places where i would never feel comfortable leaving my Subaru parked however it's nothing compared to London. At least we don't get people kicking **** out and then stabbing each other because we don't share the same post code!

Put it this way i'm a brown guy living in an apparent BNP type area and other than having two likkle yoofs call me a paki and run off after i chased them with a tomato (yes, i said tomato - it was the only weapon i had!) i have never had any issues. If you go out looking for trouble you will find it very quick, if you keep yourself to yourself then someone's going to try and bully you however if you just go about your daily life confidently you won't have any issues whatsoever.

Anyway EU why not try sorting your own **** out first! Slagging off Birmingham! GRRRRR!
Old 01 March 2012, 08:34 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
I like Scousers. Great accent and sense of humour
Yes, was only joking, there is a rivalry between the two cities and we have to keep up appearances, it would like the Dogs and the Cats not objecting to each other but we love each other really.
Old 01 March 2012, 09:41 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Lived in the outer reaches of Birmingham (Oldbury) for a while, it not the most desirable of areas but never had any issues while there and everyone seemed friendly enough. Insurance on the Scooby pretty much doubled though

I moved there after getting rid of my flat so that my girlfriend (now wife) and I could save up for a house together. Funnily not long after moving in I had got home one evening before the missus and there was a knock at the door. Answer it and it's PC Plod asking questions about a murder that had happened just down the road, i.e. did we hear anything etc. Began to think twice about my decision to move in then
Old 01 March 2012, 10:34 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Brasil rocks, I would spend a weekend there over the ****e hole that is manchester any day.
Good, **** off there as soon as possible, make it a lifetime instead of a weekend though OK?
Old 01 March 2012, 11:09 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We have never regretted moving to the South West which is of course a lovely part of the country and also being among people who live by an older and far better set of values compared to those who live upcountry.

Les
Old 01 March 2012, 11:20 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Lived in the outer reaches of Birmingham (Oldbury) for a while, it not the most desirable of areas but never had any issues while there and everyone seemed friendly enough. Insurance on the Scooby pretty much doubled though

I moved there after getting rid of my flat so that my girlfriend (now wife) and I could save up for a house together. Funnily not long after moving in I had got home one evening before the missus and there was a knock at the door. Answer it and it's PC Plod asking questions about a murder that had happened just down the road, i.e. did we hear anything etc. Began to think twice about my decision to move in then

Technically Oldbury is Dudley...the Black country (sandwell). Not Brum. Start mixing up the yam yams with the Brummies is just asking for trouble.

And in that neck of the woods you'd take care when walking round Wrens Nest. Not that anything will happen, probably nothing will as the yokels are too busy in the pub or watching telly, just if you look at someone funny they think its an excuse to have a go

Originally Posted by Dudley crime stats for DY1 (Wren's nest)

http://www.postcodearea.co.uk/postal...dudley/dy1.asp
Code:
Criminal activity DY1    Stats                          National
Vehicle/car crime :         0.0887         0.153   Better than average
Violent crime               0.4194         0.2989 Worse than average
Burglary                    0.2823         0.1976 Worse than average
Robbery                     0.0887         0.0297 Worse than average
Antisocial behaviour        1.2581         1.0531  Worse than average
Other crime                 0.6935         0.7553 Better than average
Total crime                 2.8306         2.4876 Worse than average
This info-post was posted on behalf of the B64 massive

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 March 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01 March 2012, 01:27 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Technically Oldbury is Dudley...the Black country (sandwell). Not Brum. Start mixing up the yam yams with the Brummies is just asking for trouble.
Appreciate that but as I hail from the greatest county in the UK ever (Essex) I really couldn't give a ****. They all spoke funny up there to me

Quick Reply: Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool...do you live there???