Bullying at work

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2012, 05:14 AM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Bullying at work

Right opinions needed here guys.

I work for the emergency services transfering patients who are having organ transplants.

I dropped a patient off home in wales and shile i was driving home my tyre blew on my skoda response car. 12 hours later i make it back to the yard. Its just been bought too my attention that a member of staff has been slating me off and embarrising me against my colleagues saying that every thing i do n touch i seem to **** up. Im too heavy footed and shouldnt be in the job. Ive tried talking to the person but they dont wanna know. I have the evidence of whats been said and im absolutely fuming that someone is saying **** like that behind my back. My 3 pip officer said to me thank god the tyre blew when it did as thats his regular car and it went at 25mph as earlier i was doing triple figures with an organ on board on blue lights.

would you go down the route of complaining even tho the named person dont wanna know
Old 27 February 2012, 06:50 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, no. I would either speak to them or ignore it. If you've been told then its apparent not everyone feels the same as them.

Would you really say its bullying ? seems like a tit trying to make himself popular by putting you down.
Old 27 February 2012, 06:54 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hardly bullying IMHO

People will always talk about people behind their backs, happens in every workplace.

If I 'complained' every time someone spoke behind my back, then I'd have little time to do any work. That just comes with being a boss really, you'll always get people with their own agendas or insecurities.

Ignore it, grow a pair and carry on doing the best you can in your job.

You sound a bit too sensitive to me, imagine if David Cameron or Jeremy Clarkson complained every time someone said they weren't doing a good job.

Confront person directly again tell them you know they've been talking behind your back and suggest they shut it
Old 27 February 2012, 06:57 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SiPie
Hardly bullying IMHO

People will always talk about people behind their backs, happens in every workplace.

If I 'complained' every time someone spoke behind my back, then I'd have little time to do any work. That just comes with being a boss really, you'll always get people with their own agendas or insecurities.

Ignore it, grow a pair and carry on doing the best you can in your job.

You sound a bit too sensitive to me, imagine if David Cameron or Jeremy Clarkson complained every time someone said they weren't doing a good job.

Confront person directly again tell them you know they've been talking behind your back and suggest they shut it

lol and I bet they complain he's been bullying them
Old 27 February 2012, 07:28 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Note it down but let it go unless it carries on.
Old 27 February 2012, 08:23 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

just let em get on with it and ignore them, worrying about muppets saying things will just cause you grief.
Old 27 February 2012, 08:51 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I'd definitely be having a conversation with them about it, I don't know how forceful you are and I'm certainly not suggesting violence or anything like that but I would be having words and leave it at that.

Trending Topics

Old 27 February 2012, 09:11 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have an NHS contract of employment?

Shaun
Old 27 February 2012, 09:21 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Life's too short to be worrying about **** heads. Just ignore it, every work place has at least one **** head
Old 27 February 2012, 09:24 AM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

tell them to wind their neck in or you will complain,plus keep a few notes on the more significant things they do.had a problem like this at pirbright army training camp a while back,had a fellow instrutor from the paras gobbing off about people and the young recruits even threatening to deck them so he was pulled to one side and told to wind neck in or else...did the job.
Old 27 February 2012, 10:15 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ignore it
All work places gossip and men are as bad as the women
If your that sensitive you should be working by yourself
Always good old banter goes in the workplace as that helps people get through the day
And you would be the laughing stock of your workmates if you reported someone as he will have lots of mates I'm sure
Also no one would ever trust you for complaining

Just put something nasty in his sandwiche box
Old 27 February 2012, 10:17 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Can't believe Gladys said that

Did you heard what Frank in the warehouse said about him - apart from calling him a useless lazy ******
Old 27 February 2012, 10:30 AM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

In my experience everybody ****'s up sometime or other, just bide your time and wait for them to do something wrong then let them have it back.
Old 27 February 2012, 10:38 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

ok listen up. do you have a dignity at work policy? if you work for NHS then you don't even have to be in the room for something to be said about you. if it is defamatory or makes you feel uneasy then ask the person to desist from their behaviour. if you feel nothing is being done speak to your line manager and ask them to do something. its all about impact here, how it makes you feel. intention has nothing to do with it. H&SAW 2000 Act states that a line manager is responsible for both the physical and MENTAL wellbeing of their staff. they have a duty of care to make sure you work in harmonious working environment, free from bullying, free from stress and harrassment.

get it sorted now. make sure you document everything. if they fail to deal with the problem after it has been brought to their attention, then they are at fault and can be taken to court, not the company, the individual. why do you think you sign off those H&S circulars every 6 months. why do you think you go on stress courses. it's all about your employer covering their ****. if they have done all they can to stop someone from bullying or harrassing then at tribunal they can quote "Employer's Defense" and be exonerated. this means you could be open to "personal writ" if found guilty.

I work in a scary world my friend and as a line manger I have a duty of care to my staff for their performance, their attendance, their development, their environment. we all have to watch our behaviour, what we say, what we do yada yada yada.

Last edited by bigsinky; 27 February 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 27 February 2012, 10:39 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Its ok, he just does it more than everyone else
Old 27 February 2012, 10:56 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

trust me being cross examined by a barrister at tribunal is not a not a good day. if you have been named on the list as a manager to appear before a tribunal you better have your documentary evidence. i have 15 years worth of diaries in my drawer and they have saved my bacon on a number of occasions. people just glibly sign off on stuff they are meant to have read and haven't actually bothered their ****. i have the signatures to prove that I at least in some part have fulfilled my duty of care.

interviewed under caution with PACE. 108 questions, 4 hours in an interview. everything you say written down verbatim. you can find yourself in a world of hurt very quickly.
Old 27 February 2012, 11:09 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
trust me being cross examined by a barrister at tribunal is not a not a good day. if you have been named on the list as a manager to appear before a tribunal you better have your documentary evidence. i have 15 years worth of diaries in my drawer and they have saved my bacon on a number of occasions. people just glibly sign off on stuff they are meant to have read and haven't actually bothered their ****. i have the signatures to prove that I at least in some part have fulfilled my duty of care.

interviewed under caution with PACE. 108 questions, 4 hours in an interview. everything you say written down verbatim. you can find yourself in a world of hurt very quickly.
That's civil servants for you
Old 27 February 2012, 11:15 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

yep still managed to have 4 cups of coffee and do the sun crossword
Old 27 February 2012, 11:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Just not worth the candle!

Ignore it.

Les
Old 27 February 2012, 12:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Probably best to speak to your Manager if you feel someone is questioning your competence behind your back, on the basis you feel it is a kind of slander.

It does depend upon the company and work environment. I worked with a college who was a two face ******* and lied to my face then to the managers, and got me a world of hurt. The big problem were the managers were the same nationality as him and that nationality are a notorious mafia in my industry.

In the future the only way I would deal with that treatment by that mafia again, is either to make sure I never work with them, or with violence. It's the way of my industry unfortunately, if you try and play a positive sum game and be fair you can get squashed in some parts of the world especially.
Old 27 February 2012, 01:50 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Cheets for the advice guys. Should of mentioned that this has been going on for quite a while.

Last night this guy tells me to blue light from one side of london to the other with out no reason to even do it. He was moaning that he is hungry and wanted food. I told him there is no way im gonna blue light across london just so you can eat. He then said as your ignoring a request from the control i would be on the discerplinary list. Everytime something happens he has to run to the management n cry.
Old 27 February 2012, 02:26 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_bigal
Cheets for the advice guys. Should of mentioned that this has been going on for quite a while.

Last night this guy tells me to blue light from one side of london to the other with out no reason to even do it. He was moaning that he is hungry and wanted food. I told him there is no way im gonna blue light across london just so you can eat. He then said as your ignoring a request from the control i would be on the discerplinary list. Everytime something happens he has to run to the management n cry.
Are you trolling?
Old 27 February 2012, 04:08 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that this is happening to you bigal
It is not a nice thing to happen to anyone.

In some case yes it is a good idea to speak to you're manager
About it or go to human resources and tell them.

But TBH the best thing in my experience is to stand up for yourself verbally
If you don't there is a chance it will keep happening.
At presant my work has taken on trainees and one of them is struggling to learn
As quickly as the others as my line of work is very technical and very hands on.
The other guys in the company have been giving the guy a hard time and calling
Him names like " king of the mongs " and " clunk "
The guy Does not stand up to these people and from trainees to senior personnel
Are doing this to him.
I think if he did complain about it to management it would still continue but not as much.
It's a real shame for the guy and I always have time for the guy to try help him.

My opinion is to always fight fire with fire
I am always very nice to people who are nice to me
And very sarcastic and rude to people who go out of their way to annoy people
Bully's really don't like it when you start making them look like idiots
For instance if I was in you're position and the guy came to me and said go get
Me food and use the blue light and siren My reply would of been something like

"ffs no wonder you have to put you're belt on with a boomarang now get lost "
Then walk away and ignore him !

I know it is a bit childish but if it gets them to stop then it's worth it

Last edited by nizmo80; 27 February 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 27 February 2012, 04:18 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Cheers nizmo80. Ive tried talking to him but he seems to get pleasure out of doing it to me. I confronted him and he told me he didnt know nothing about it plus why was i ignorin his orders.

so i told him back maybe because its my choice to blue light and that if i get called to court im gonna have to explain my reasons. 99% of the time i dont have no issues blue lighting patients if there is the slightest bit of a doubt regarding a patients life on go the lights but not just so he can have food
Old 27 February 2012, 04:37 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Ive tried talking to him but he seems to get pleasure out of doing it to me.
Most bully's will get pleasure out of bulling people or to make
Them look like the funny guy infront of other people that are there also.
People like that really annoy me.

Honestly if he trys to say something like that to you again just tell him to
Shut up and p1ss off
I mean what's the man gonna do tell management that you told him to Get lost
After he tryed to get you to blue light and fetch his mc Donald's when there could
Be an emergency where you are needed urgently.

Trying to talk to him about it didn't work
So just start making fun out of him right back at him People like that soon get the message

Last edited by nizmo80; 27 February 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 27 February 2012, 04:40 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Ive tried talking to him but he seems to get pleasure out of doing it to me.
Yep they are basically sadists and enjoy your discomfort and suffering. You need to figure out why he has a hold on you and you are unable to fight back.
Old 27 February 2012, 05:38 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I'd have told him to file the disciplinary. He'd probably be out on his a**e if he admitted to asking you to blue light to bring him something to eat, so call his bluff.
Old 27 February 2012, 06:29 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

If it's genuine bullying, diaries and dictaphones, then if he does put you up for a disciplinary, you are covered

Some if the stuff I hear about big places these days makes me glad I work where I do to be honest.

The banter in our office is borders on vicious, below the belt is considered right on target

But we're all the targets, and we're all the perpetrators
Old 27 February 2012, 06:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

This guy sounds very childish and irrational. Not every child is irrational so they are two different things. He is both of them, of course. You should grass him proper IMO.

Quick Reply: Bullying at work