home phone engineer help i'm desperate

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2002, 09:59 PM
neo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

hope someone can help me out with this one its regaurding my home phone,
connections as it was BT line junction box in cable had 7 cores, 1 black 1 green 1 white 1 orange and 3 red, but only the white and orange were connected to a extension socket cable but they were connected to orange to orange but white to blue,but the extension worked ok phone and internet,there was also two jumper extensions linked to this socket going to 2 other rooms and all was hunky doory i could gain access to the net and phone line no bother from all 3 sockets,but it was untidy so i did this ?

i took both the jumper (ones when plug in a plug and phone goes in the back of the extension )extensions out from the original extension and routed them to the junction box where the remaining extension is connected all have 6 wires but only 2 of them connected blue and orange looped them in together ie 3 blues on one side connected to the original white from BT cable and the 3 oranges to the orange from BT cable and hey presto all the phones work incoming and out going dailing and ringing no problem, so i thought i sorted it,

the problem is this i can only get online from the 1 of the 3 extensions,modem error no dailing tone comes up but plug a phone in and it works no problems at all,but the crazy thing thats doing my head in is they are all connected from the same terminalsin junction box and all three phones work as normal, but only the 1 can get me online,they are all connected using two wires.

please someone help me i'm getting desparate now

ive explained the best i can but it sounds very in depth

chhers Neo
Old 02 May 2002, 08:03 AM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

somewhere on here is a thread showing in piccies how to wire up phones. It must have been in the last 6 months, pity seartch isn't working..........
Old 02 May 2002, 08:25 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I know this isnt' the fix your after but...
does you modem have a speaker on it so you can hear its ring / dial tone?

also if its just failing to get a dial tone you can still force it to dial out. IIRC its hidden away in one of the modem properties.

Soz I can't help you with the wireing
Old 02 May 2002, 08:54 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I will ask the telephone lads at work this morining when they come in.

Daz.
Old 02 May 2002, 08:55 AM
Biffo
Scooby Regular

Try swapping the polarity of the wires in the line jack units but only on the phones that won`t dial out!.
Regards
Biff
Old 02 May 2002, 09:16 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Spoke to the lads at work and they said they need more detail as in what pins you are using on the ext, they also recommended that you simulate the entire set-up with short cables from in front of your master socket to set it up correctly making a note of cable colours and pin outs to get it working correctly.

Daz.
Old 02 May 2002, 10:36 AM
neo
Scooby Regular

Whey hey sorted from all three extensions Darren thanks for asking the lads at work for me between you and Biffo you pointed me in the right direction and ten minutes later all was sorted cheers m8

Biffo thanks for the simple pointer basically the other two extension sockets were wired in a different way to the one that was working and when they were wired the same as the working one they also started working spot on cheers m8

one strange thing is that the phones were working but not the computer (changed the connections and) both started working the computer must be more fussy than the phones wierd or what??

cheers for the help guys i'm a happy bunny again yippee
Old 02 May 2002, 12:06 PM
Biffo
Scooby Regular

No problem mate!
Glad your sorted.
Regards
Biff