Yelling at Phone Thieves: A Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2012, 03:04 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yelling at Phone Thieves: A Hobby

http://letters.standupmaths.com/?p=169

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hJ65...ayer_embedded#!

Last night I had the misfortune to be on one of the last trains out from London Waterloo, the 00:09 to Guildford. I found a quiet-ish coach and settled in to stop at every station between London and my destination. Plus some other ones I swear only exist when you’re on a night train.
There were the usual fellow passengers, dotted around both the intoxication spectrum and the carriage. So no one took much notice when a rather drunk girl collapsed in a seat for a while and then got up and drifted off, seemingly looking for a toilet. However, she had left her bags behind and never came back for them.
Once we assumed she had alighted from the train, the phone in her bag began ringing incessantly. Assuming it might be her, I eventually answered it and assured a friend of hers that she had been on the train and hopefully got off at the correct stop. I said that if she didn’t come back for her bags, I would hand them in to Guildford Station last-and-found where she could easily collect them.
So I went back to my seat, still many station-stops from Guildford, and resumed my desultory twittering.
One of the other few people in the carriage though, got up and came and sat near the bag. During the casual carriage-banter when I first answered the phone, he had suggested to the whole carriage that we nick the phone. Thus I was already keeping an eye on him when he moved over and then took the phone out of the bag.
I was – to say the minimum – outraged.
So I began initially tell him to put the phone back before escalating to a full yelling-at, during which I had the presence of mind to turn my phone on and video the whole thing. I even asked him first if he minded me photographing him stealing the phone and he was so brazened, he held it up to pose with it. That is the screen-grab at the top of this page.
Spoiler Warning: I’ll post the video soon (although, it does contain a lot of swears: sorry kids) but he did eventually get off at the next stop and leave with the phone.
Naturally, I’ve already re-played the whole thing in my head countless times, but I’m happy that I didn’t resort to physically stopping him, or kicking his bike etc. If someone was defending my lost phone, I wouldn’t want them to risk violence. But I’m kicking myself for not moving sooner or putting the bag somewhere safer. So yeah: lots of yelling, all of it ineffectual.
I did hand the bag in at Guildford, with a note inside explaining what happened and my email address (Always carry a pen kids! (that advice will make up for the swearing)) and today I’ll report it to the Transport Police. I’ve already caused one phone thief to be convicted and sentenced, I’m keen for another.
If you do recognise this dick who would get the last Waterloo to Weybridge train, please get in touch.

Last edited by pimmo2000; 10 February 2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10 February 2012, 05:07 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a complete scum bag, I do hope BTP catch him, total disregard for other people and their property
Old 10 February 2012, 06:47 AM
SLAB
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low life scum ive added this to my face book hope he gets caught, but you should of ran over and booted him right in his cocky face, **** wish i was there ide of jump on his fuc king bike as well , looks like a bit of a crackhead around the eyes
Old 10 February 2012, 10:22 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Should have stabbed him several times in the neck with the pen in an "Joe Pesci" style rage and put the blood stained phone back in the bag with a note and £5 apologising for the blood stains and the £5 for the cleaning bill.

You know if you post this in the usual places and youtube with enough momentum it could go viral - They'll be a mix eventually with your voice removed and someone shouting "FENTON!" at him.

Seriously though get it around and you'll be on BBC Breakfast within the week.

EDIT - sorry but I haven't watched the vid being in work but did this happen to you Pimmo? if not then most of the above is even more cobblers then it was before I realise I may have made a mistake..

Last edited by EddScott; 10 February 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10 February 2012, 11:40 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I've added it to fb I notice others have too.
Old 10 February 2012, 12:12 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Ah the joyful last p!sshead train home to gford. Full of utter scum (to the point they stopped putting a guard on at one point, don't know if thats still the case)
Old 10 February 2012, 12:17 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SLAB
Low life scum ive added this to my face book hope he gets caught, but you should of ran over and booted him right in his cocky face, **** wish i was there ide of jump on his fuc king bike as well , looks like a bit of a crackhead around the eyes
You know this wasn't me .. right ?

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2012, 12:32 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I know that stretch very well and a mate of mine (ex sbs) is a train security guard. I will pass this on and I'm sure Jim will enjoy making sure this guy pays
Old 10 February 2012, 12:33 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Actually, I only just realised that you had copied/pasted someone else story. It wasn't particularly clear form your post.
Old 10 February 2012, 01:54 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

think its getting pretty good coverage already

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml
Old 10 February 2012, 02:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think I would have been sorely tempted to catch him by surprise and immobilised him by twisting his arm to just below where it becomes dislocated, and asked someone else to ring 999 to get the coppers to pick him up at the next station.

Stealing seems to be becoming a way of life which some people regard as being a natural action if the chance presents itself!

Les
Old 10 February 2012, 03:15 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

FB'd the daily mail version
Old 10 February 2012, 03:32 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Should have made a Citizen's Arrest - the circumstances and situation would have allowed it - if what I just read on Wikipedia is correct and up to date !
Old 10 February 2012, 04:48 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

The second video ends just as it's about to get interesting.
Old 10 February 2012, 06:35 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
You know this wasn't me .. right ?
Not until just now, no.

Old 10 February 2012, 08:09 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Starting to get a little publicity.......the video view count has gone up by100k since this morning. Looks like the knobend is about to get his comeuppance.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...w-passenger.do
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-caught-680323
http://www.lbc.co.uk/watch-train-pho...-on-film-50915
http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n...ght_on_camera/
Old 10 February 2012, 10:04 PM
Chesters WRX
Scooby Newbie

Was that Will from the imbetweeners filming?

Good on him for filming the thief though, if it gets about enough someone might come forward.
Old 10 February 2012, 10:56 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

He could have taken a photo of him and then did what they used to in the old days, use the phone to RING the police.
Old 15 February 2012, 02:53 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

Got him but shocking outcome

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/21...le_phone_thief
Old 15 February 2012, 03:21 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andys

Nice to see the justice system coming down hard on him.
Old 15 February 2012, 03:24 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

What a plonker that dick

He could of easily got out of the problem by taking the phone to the police, but instead has a caution against him
Old 15 February 2012, 03:48 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

This one is for the Police!

Old 15 February 2012, 06:29 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

So he posts her a pound a week for...ever..and where has the phone gone?
Old 16 February 2012, 04:40 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Sitting there calm and sideways on, asking for a clock on that big chin if you ask me.
Old 16 February 2012, 07:22 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Police catch train phone thief caught on camera

10:08am Tuesday 14th February 2012 in

Skip social links
Print
Email

A man filmed stealing a mobile phone on a train and posing for pictures with his ill-gotten fare has been cautioned and fined by police.

The incident, on the 12.09am train from Waterloo to Guildford on February 2, hit the internet after comic Matt Parker made a stand.

He was sitting near an apparently drunk girl who got off and left her bag.

When a phone inside the bag rang, Mr Parker answered, explained to the person on the phone what had happened, and said he would hand it in if she did not come back.

He was so shocked by what happened next that he filmed the events and put them on his blog.

A man, later identified as a 21-year old from Addlestone, suggested to the carriage that they steal the phone.

Mr Parker said: “Thus, I was already keeping an eye on him when he moved over and then took the phone out of the bag. I was, to say the minimum, outraged.

“So I began initially tell him to put the phone back before escalating to a full yelling-at, during which I had the presence of mind to turn my phone on and video the whole thing.

“I even asked him first if he minded me photographing him stealing the phone and he was so brazened, he held it up to pose with it.”

The man in the picture left the train at Weybridge and police have appealed for information.

A British Transport Police spokesman said: “Following an appeal for information, a number of members of the public called to provide information about the incident.

“As a result, a 21-year-old man from Addlestone, Surrey, was identified and subsequently arrested on suspicion of theft before being taken to a police station in Victoria.

“When interviewed, the man fully admitted the offence and was handed a conditional caution with three conditions: to pay the 34-year-old victim £499, to write her a letter of apology and not to commit any further offences before June 14, 2012.

“Failure to comply with any one of the conditions could result in the caution being cancelled and the man being prosecuted for theft.

“We would like to thank the members of the public who came forward and provided information about this incident, allowing us to identify and arrest the person responsible.”
meh