Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2012, 08:23 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Matrix

One of my favourite films and on at 9pm on TCM. I was wondering how people interpret it; what do you see beyond the action and effects?
Old 08 February 2012, 08:31 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Tastes like chicken.
Old 08 February 2012, 08:34 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

There is no spoon.

(one of my fave films too cheers!)
Old 08 February 2012, 09:24 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is "Flight of the Concords"!
Old 08 February 2012, 09:42 PM
New_scooby_04

It's a great film isn't it! For me personally I reckon it's actually a comment on how humanity often conspires in it's own downfall.

There is a great quote by Agent Smith that sums it up for me personally:

"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization."

I guess you could view the Matrix as an allegory for the wool that we pull over our own eyes every day to pretend that we are anything but decaying matter that spends most of our lives in questionable, often damaging, pursuits.

Pint, anyone?!?

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 08 February 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08 February 2012, 09:45 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
It's a great film isn't it! For me personally I reckon it's actually a comment on how humanity often conspires in it's own downfall.

There is a great quote by Agent Smith that sums it up for me personally:

"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization."

I guess you could view the Matrix as an allegory for the wool that we pull over our own eyes every day to pretend that we are anything but decaying matter that spends most of our lives in questionable, often damaging, pursuits.

Pint, anyone?!?
That's cheered me up no end!
Old 08 February 2012, 09:46 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It's pseudo-intellectual rubbish.

Trending Topics

Old 08 February 2012, 09:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by AsifScoob
That's cheered me up no end!
have a drink Asif, you'll feel much better!
Old 08 February 2012, 09:50 PM
New_scooby_04

Lets just not talk about the second and third ones though, eh? Especially the second!!! My f@*king cinema chair fell asleep!
Old 08 February 2012, 09:53 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

The only good bit about the sequels was the phrase, " I love swearing in French. It's like wiping your **** with silk."

Steve
Old 08 February 2012, 09:55 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Steve vRS
The only good bit about the sequels was the phrase, " I love swearing in French. It's like wiping your **** with silk."

Steve
Old 08 February 2012, 10:03 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JTaylor
One of my favourite films and on at 9pm on TCM. I was wondering how people interpret it; what do you see beyond the action and effects?
The coming of the messiah? Trinity - Magdalene, Cypher -Judus....yada yada..too obvious perhaps?
Old 08 February 2012, 10:03 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
It's pseudo-intellectual rubbish.
Well it was rather depressing, but that's no reason to be so disparaging about NS04's post.
Old 08 February 2012, 10:11 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Loved it, can remember watching it 3 times in a row with complete amazement. Could watch it again, I might even do that as I think I still have a copy on DVD.

The 2 sequals ruined it ever becoming a real cult classic.
Old 08 February 2012, 10:13 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Well it was rather depressing, but that's no reason to be so disparaging about NS04's post.
I thought the film was cool in 1999 but now looks self-consciously 'mystical' and pretentious.

When you get past the special effects it is pretty empty. Those effects looked out of the world back then and made the film seem better than it is.

I don't try and read anything into it because there is nothing there. It's completely literal, has zero emotional content, it doesn't move me in anyway.

Better Sci Fi is something like Bladerunner. I have watched that 12 times at least and it works in new ways each viewing.
Old 08 February 2012, 10:16 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the second was ok, the third I lost interest in completely. The first one is a classic though. I must have been about 12 when I saw it, so for me it will always just be cool rather than carrying a deep message. The first time I saw her running round the wall impressed me a lot. I went around trying to convince myself I could do that for a while.

One of the worst things about the 2 sequels was the use of early CGI. It was all terrible and obviously fake; so much so that it ruined it for me. Even now I prefer to see real stunts. The Borne films were excellent in that respect, because they made everything look so real. It's a shame the use of CGI is so widespread now (obviously to do with cost), but at least it's getting better.
Old 08 February 2012, 10:18 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

I thought the film was cool in 1999 but now looks self-consciously 'mystical' and pretentious.

When you get past the special effects it is pretty empty. Those effects looked out of the world back then and made the film seem better than it is.

I don't try and read anything into it because there is nothing there. It's completely literal, has zero emotional content, it doesn't move me in anyway.

Better Sci Fi is something like Bladerunner. I have watched that 12 times at least and it works in new ways each viewing.
Now there's a film that never gets old!
Old 08 February 2012, 10:24 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Now there's a film that never gets old!
I bought bladerunner on HD-DVD and paid a pretty penny for it as it was some sort of final, definitely never going to be cut again directors cut edition. Watched it and just didn't "get" it.

Visually it was one of the most stunning films I've seen.
Old 08 February 2012, 10:38 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

and lets not forget The Matrix gave us those hilarious Neo wannabees

usually short fat and bald, but looking oh so cool in a long black leather coat and boots with shiny metal bits on
Old 08 February 2012, 10:46 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
and lets not forget The Matrix gave us those hilarious Neo wannabees

usually short fat and bald, but looking oh so cool in a long black leather coat and boots with shiny metal bits on
Did you ever go to see the other 2 at the cinema? The place was full of people in leather trench coats and sunglasses. I'm sure they actually believed it was real.
Old 08 February 2012, 10:47 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I bought bladerunner on HD-DVD and paid a pretty penny for it as it was some sort of final, definitely never going to be cut again directors cut edition. Watched it and just didn't "get" it.

Visually it was one of the most stunning films I've seen.
Lol. I think I've got that cut. When I watched it when I was younger I didn't get it at all, but now I could never get tired of watching it.
Old 08 February 2012, 10:54 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you ever go to see the other 2 at the cinema? The place was full of people in leather trench coats and sunglasses. I'm sure they actually believed it was real.
no, but I fear some of them still post on this forum
Old 08 February 2012, 10:59 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
no, but I fear some of them still post on this forum
Touché.
Old 08 February 2012, 11:16 PM
New_scooby_04

*hic* hey that's......... probably entirely fair *hic*

You haven't told us what you make of it? Genuinely interested!

There must be all sorts of angles for someone interested in theism: ways of conceptualising god etc.. Are we all puppets to a higher power and all that?

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 08 February 2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08 February 2012, 11:24 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

*hic* hey that's......... probably entirely fair *hic*

You haven't told us what you make of it? Genuinely interested!

There must be all sorts of angles for someone interested in theism: ways of conceptualising god etc.. Are we all puppets to a higher power and all that?
I've never really managed to get beyond the coat and boots.

Last edited by JTaylor; 08 February 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09 February 2012, 12:31 AM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Lol. I think I've got that cut. When I watched it when I was younger I didn't get it at all, but now I could never get tired of watching it.
My absolute favourite sci-fi film ever. I like noir "hard-boiled" detective films too so Bladerunner ticks two boxes the visuals are amazing, when Deckard first goes to the Tyrrell Corp. as the sun is setting, that one scene had me completely hooked!

Is it wrong I have Bladerunner 9 times? Lol

I bought the director's cut on single disc years ago, then when the final cut came out I bought a standard 5 disc box to watch straight away and have the tin case final addition unopened. Also have the Soundtrack by Vangelis.

Loved The Matrix too and have the big boxset for it too but I'm not drawn to it anywhere near as much as I am Bladerunner.
Old 09 February 2012, 01:03 AM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Wow Tony! You've gone up in my estimation! But, that wasn't really very difficult. I love Bladerunner too.

As for the effects on the film, I am happy to go and watch a film for the physical look and sound of it, on occasion. And as you say, this certainly merited the praise it got. The level of copying of those effects must surely rate The Matrix as a classic, alone?

Asif
Old 09 February 2012, 01:09 AM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

have a drink Asif, you'll feel much better!
Always a good idea of course, but I have to be careful. I have enough booze in my house to kill an army, but I can take it or leave it.

Wife just bought me one of those Husky fridges, to put in my Man Cave, but there is strictly non alcohoic drinks in there, for now.

Boose on a school night is also to be avoided of course, as unless I am drinking loads, from early on, it doesn't help me sleep.

What are you sipping tonight?
Old 09 February 2012, 01:14 AM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BULLITT
My absolute favourite sci-fi film ever. I like noir "hard-boiled" detective films too so Bladerunner ticks two boxes the visuals are amazing, when Deckard first goes to the Tyrrell Corp. as the sun is setting, that one scene had me completely hooked!

Is it wrong I have Bladerunner 9 times? Lol

I bought the director's cut on single disc years ago, then when the final cut came out I bought a standard 5 disc box to watch straight away and have the tin case final addition unopened. Also have the Soundtrack by Vangelis.

Loved The Matrix too and have the big boxset for it too but I'm not drawn to it anywhere near as much as I am Bladerunner.
Old 09 February 2012, 01:22 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by AsifScoob
Always a good idea of course, but I have to be careful. I have enough booze in my house to kill an army, but I can take it or leave it.

Wife just bought me one of those Husky fridges, to put in my Man Cave, but there is strictly non alcohoic drinks in there, for now.

Boose on a school night is also to be avoided of course, as unless I am drinking loads, from early on, it doesn't help me sleep.

What are you sipping tonight?
Whiskey.....helps numb the pain! I Have a bit of a cold, so trying the old fashioned remedy to get to sleep!

Quick Reply: The Matrix