Martial arts for small children

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2012, 09:19 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Martial arts for small children

Hi,

I'd like my two boys aged 3 (almost 4) and 5 enrolled in some sort of martial arts class this year.

I did a little when I was younger, about a year of boxing and then about three years of karate.

The time spent learning karate was a little useful but never sure how helpful it actually was in a street fight.

I want a kind of martial arts that actually helps with what might actually happen on the streets. It must of course teach the discipline not to use these skills unless absolutely necessary.

Krav Maga sprung to mind (as I thought I'd quite to learn to as a keep fit tool) but wonder if this is inappropriate for very small children.

Now this may sound stupid and I know it's Hollywood but I used to love Stephen Seagal's style in his early films which i think is Jui Jitsu.

Any ideas/advice appreciated

Last edited by Dingdongler; 20 January 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 20 January 2012, 09:29 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did Jiu Jitsu for a number of years and enjoyed it; it's designed to be good for practical self-defense in a street fight, though many people who do it find that their confidence improves and other people just don't try to pick fights with them in the first place.

Many clubs do take juniors, though your sons might be a bit young TBH. Best to contact your local club's instructor and ask if they can take them.

http://www.jitsufoundation.org/JuJit...wide_home_page
Old 20 January 2012, 09:30 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Steven Seagull is Aikido. There is a minimum age for certain arts, 3 is a little too young. My girls started doing Karate at 5, but as well as teaching them to avoid certain situations and if necessary to defend themselves in the future, they learn order, discipline and respect at these classes.
Old 20 January 2012, 09:32 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

My son started doing Tae Kwon Do when he was 5, about nine months ago. He is off to do his second grading next weekend!

At this stage there is limited sparring - all learning the basic moves.

Some schools will have special childrens classes - some make them join an adult class which can be tough initially. My son could now do an adult class as he has learned much of the basics. Probably less fun though.
Old 20 January 2012, 09:34 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it is a brilliant idea Ding

my eldest boy did Tang Soo Do for 5 years, (he his 12 now) he achieved a blue belt which just one off black

had to work really hard and went 2 days for the last two years he did it

but sort of gave it up last year, as with his other commitments, it just became too much, but taught him alot -- and he has a smattering of Korean

my youngest boy will start soon (6 next month) if he is up for it

and tbh I don't think it matters what martial art it is -- Tang Soo Do was the one done locally
Old 20 January 2012, 09:54 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

My little lad does karate and he enjoys learning the katas. He is now 8 and has being doing it for a year (me with him!) and the way I see it, he might reach black belt by his early teens.

That carries a lot of kudos and so might help deter the arseholes at high school.

Steve
Old 20 January 2012, 09:59 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

A reputable mixed martial arts club will help in real life situations.
Old 20 January 2012, 10:04 PM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

Judo for kids under 8 bar none. Pm me if you want more info.
Old 21 January 2012, 06:53 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input.

I think I'll try Jiu Jitsu or go straight for Krav Maga. Two reasons, one they seem two styles most relevant to everyday threats and also as I'd quite like to learn it with them they might be the best ones for a 'mature' learner like me.

Stevep360, I must say Judo is one that I had completely ruled out. Though I have immense respect for anybody proficient in this sport to me it seems the least relevant to street self defence.

Thanks
Old 21 January 2012, 07:19 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

I did Judo from about 5-12, but I kept breaking bones at various other 'sports' so didn't compete as much as I should have. It is all about self defence and is worth considering.
Old 21 January 2012, 08:39 AM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Thanks for the input.

I think I'll try Jiu Jitsu or go straight for Krav Maga. Two reasons, one they seem two styles most relevant to everyday threats and also as I'd quite like to learn it with them they might be the best ones for a 'mature' learner like me.

Stevep360, I must say Judo is one that I had completely ruled out. Though I have immense respect for anybody proficient in this sport to me it seems the least relevant to street self defence.

Thanks
For kids judo is hard to beat. IMO karate is a wast of time, all KATA no relevance. Jiu-jitsu aint great unless you do BJJ but a kid under 8 is not gonna grasp that and I think you'll struggle to find a Krav class that takes kids, or your kid lasts long at Krav. My background, I do BJJ, Thai and have done Krav in the past. My daughter will be going to Judo, as I did as a kid. The classes are fun, they learn a little ground work and more importantly how to use grips on clothes for throws. Up to you tho, just speaking from experience.
Old 21 January 2012, 09:00 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi,

I'd like my two boys aged 3 (almost 4) and 5 enrolled in some sort of martial arts class this year.

I did a little when I was younger, about a year of boxing and then about three years of karate.

The time spent learning karate was a little useful but never sure how helpful it actually was in a street fight.

I want a kind of martial arts that actually helps with what might actually happen on the streets. It must of course teach the discipline not to use these skills unless absolutely necessary.

Krav Maga sprung to mind (as I thought I'd quite to learn to as a keep fit tool) but wonder if this is inappropriate for very small children.

Now this may sound stupid and I know it's Hollywood but I used to love Stephen Seagal's style in his early films which i think is Jui Jitsu.

Any ideas/advice appreciated

What about your local pikeys

Teach em for nothing
Old 21 January 2012, 09:04 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Kamon Wing Chun or maybe start with Kung Fu and then onto Wing Chun.
Old 21 January 2012, 09:16 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Well, olympic wrestling is not very popular in uk but its one of the toughest sports i think. Have been doing this for last 18 years and its been great experience. Still doing this , competing in various grappling events, and eventualy ended up in a cage . But that was just a self test. Kids as young as 4 can start training it. One good thing is , that is tough and soft sport at the same time as you dont get you face mashed up or bones broken. Well, sometimes it happens thought. Karate or other martial art is a good discipline , but these days is not enough. So my choice will be Wrestling + BJJ + Kickboxing or Muy Thai later on when they grow up a bit = MMA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGqnzw5Zo7Q
Old 21 January 2012, 10:36 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Some great info here, thanks guys.

I need to be clear what I want them to learn from this. This won't be a competitive sport for them ie I don't want them to be cage fighters! As well as discipline and fitness are want them to be able to deal with street threats and this usually means multiple attackers who themselves aren't trained fighters.

So would perhaps Muay Thai now to learn basic reflexes, kicks, punches then followed by Krav Maga in a few years time be a good option?

(sorry still not keen on the judo thing as a good street self defence system)

Thanks again to you all
Old 21 January 2012, 11:23 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

You not nescesary have to be a cage fighter when training mma. Mixed martial arts is the same as other kind of martial art just you've got different classes different time. You also chose where you are week and train a certain class more often wich is good. Have a look at this , all info is there. Www.londonshootfighters.com , we have people at the age of 50 training bjj or kick boxing as its the good work out. Theres no sparing in a class normaly as well. Weve got slecial spar classes. Good luck.
Old 21 January 2012, 12:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Some great info here, thanks guys.

I need to be clear what I want them to learn from this. This won't be a competitive sport for them ie I don't want them to be cage fighters! As well as discipline and fitness are want them to be able to deal with street threats and this usually means multiple attackers who themselves aren't trained fighters.

So would perhaps Muay Thai now to learn basic reflexes, kicks, punches then followed by Krav Maga in a few years time be a good option?

(sorry still not keen on the judo thing as a good street self defence system)

Thanks again to you all
i must admit we were a little perturbed when our sons Tang Soo Do class tutor asks us to buy a fighting stick for him (called a Bong), and soon after that a rubber knife was needed too - for the simulated self defence forms

and in the end we had to get the full on protective head/foot and hand gear to the point where he looked like a tiny kick boxer
Old 21 January 2012, 01:30 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

How many kinds of martial arts are there for goodness sake? Never heard all those names before.

Les
Old 21 January 2012, 06:00 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I tried to get my Son into this sport, when he was younger. He hated every minute of it. He joined the school football team instead
Best of luck with yours, Ding
Old 21 January 2012, 06:46 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My son is 4yrs old and started Taekwondo a few months ago, he has done two gradings, 999 emergency/recovery position ect and stranger danger, these also incorporated punching kicking blocks and ballance.

I started with karate and have done lots of other self defence as well, over the years.

Close contact as in aikedo, judo and wrestling is not so good unless your strong and big or extreemly good at it, as its very easy to be overpowered by someone thats a lot bigger and stronger, as well as the possibility of being stabbed.

In street fighting it's better not to get too close especially if your taking on more than one person, things get real messy real quick.

And thats not a slant on the above styles as for the real life situations they can all do a job, but i just don't like to let an attacker get too close, keeping someone at a distance is always the best option without doubt as you are more in control of what happens next, when two burly blokes get you on the floor it's not nice trust me i know.

At the end of the day you need to look at what is in your local area and pick the school not the style, as at that age it needs to be fun so they want to go and it's not you forcing them.

Good idea and good luck.
Old 21 January 2012, 06:47 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

My 6 year old just had his first Shotokan lesson on Friday - thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one.

I am getting slightly concerned though, that he's doing to much sport for his age - karate on Fridays, ice skating lessons and swimming on Saturdays, rugby on Sundays.
Old 21 January 2012, 07:47 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Kids have a very short attention span when doing martial arts at an early age. I think MMA would be best as it teaches a range of the martial arts and would be more relaxed atmosphere as compared to belt orientated martial arts. MMA is better to start young as the body can adjust better to all the moves.
Old 21 January 2012, 07:58 PM
justin_watson
Scooby Regular

I would recommend either a simple MMA class or for more street style self defence I recommend KFM (keysi fighting method). Also Boxing or thai boxing is fantastic for kids. I would stay away from the eastern arts such as karate etc as the coaching is simply not up to scratch in this country
Old 21 January 2012, 08:20 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

From my limited experience Tang su do and Taekwondo are good in terms of discipline and fighting as wether WTF or ITF they both incorporate some kind of sparring into training that can teach people how to hit and avoid getting hit. I would say MMA is the best for actual protection in a street fight but ALOT of bad attitudes from people training MMA and I wouldn't want my kids near those people. There is a local MMA gym to me that has some brilliant instructors for the kids but too many wannabee gangsters train there as well.
Wing chun is OK but I personally don't think the blocks work very well in real world applications compared to some others. In all honesty the attitude of the teacher is the most important factor as the kids age they will either change arts to one that suits them better give up or carry on.
Old 21 January 2012, 08:38 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Krav Maga is excellent for self defence. The stuff my mate learned was very practical. They even state that what they're trying to do is teach you something you can use in real life, i.e. when you're ****ting yourself.
Old 21 January 2012, 09:20 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Muay Thai will teach them how to fight, not so much a defence as such, possibly one of the easier arts as there are fewer moves. Good for keeping fit.
Old 22 January 2012, 06:37 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll let you know which one I eventually go for
Old 22 January 2012, 07:07 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

An observation from my own limited experience - the best class for your sons, and the best discipline will be the one with the best teacher that they relate to. Some teachers are great, centred, empathetic leaders. Some aren't. Some enjoy the fight. Choose wisely.

Ditchmyster looks like he has had a great experience - my own sons local TKD class is specially for children and he has done a fantastic job at keeping interest and training in discipline. My oldest goes twice a week and even chose his TKD class over the end of term Christmas disco. Sign of a great teacher.

If you want to see TKD in action - check out this video of probably the best sparrer in the world - certainly in his day!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_hV_xkl21g
Old 22 January 2012, 07:30 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
An observation from my own limited experience - the best class for your sons, and the best discipline will be the one with the best teacher that they relate to. Some teachers are great, centred, empathetic leaders. Some aren't. Some enjoy the fight. Choose wisely.

Ditchmyster looks like he has had a great experience - my own sons local TKD class is specially for children and he has done a fantastic job at keeping interest and training in discipline. My oldest goes twice a week and even chose his TKD class over the end of term Christmas disco. Sign of a great teacher.

If you want to see TKD in action - check out this video of probably the best sparrer in the world - certainly in his day!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_hV_xkl21g

Wise words, the proximity of the class and the quality of teaching will be major deciding factors Trout. There are classes all over the place, I'm sure they vary greatly in quality.

Nice vid btw. This guy has me developing a small man crush though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnZ0sfOiuIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kzND...feature=relmfu

Last edited by Dingdongler; 22 January 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 22 January 2012, 07:42 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Insane in a kinda of SAS kind of way!

I would not personally choose a discipline for my children that has aggression as one of its core philosophies.

He is clearly outstanding at his skill!

Last edited by Trout; 22 January 2012 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Martial arts for small children