The Fight of their Lives

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2012, 01:42 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The Fight of their Lives

Apologies if this is a SIAL

I recorded the 99 minute extended version of this documentary towards the end of last year and finally got around to watching it last night. Benn was by far my favourite boxer back in the day and this was no ordinary fight.

I remember the fight as clear as day as it was the best fight I've ever seen for pure guts and determination from both sides, totally captivating, two brutal men from possibly the best era of boxing that I can remember basically went to war on each other.

Very interesting docu from ITV, a bit "Red Top" at times with some of the insinuations, but also very thought provoking and left you wondering why the hell Gerald McClellan decided to drop Manny Steward after all the success he'd had. With the record he had he left him for a two bit trainer he used at a youth club and had a corner that didnt have a clue what they were doing.

At times it shows neither men in a good light, and I did find the journalism a bit "tabloidy" at times, but a lot of the content from those involved at the time really makes it compelling viewing.

If you remember the fight it is a must see, if a little sad at times

After all these years I take my hat off (again) to the pair of them, courageous warriors with massive hearts...

http://www.itv.com/thefightoftheirlives/
Old 10 January 2012, 02:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i remember watching that fight live on TV, and wow how brutal it was

the thing that i really remember was that during the initial pounding Benn received (in the first few rounds) he walked back to his corner at the end of one of the rounds and looked straight into the ringside camera and gave a little knowing smile -- as if to say "i’m not finished yet, and watch this space"