Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

gcse exams

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2012, 04:21 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default gcse exams

Kids keep rhat quiet now dont they, my missus got a txt from my daughter today saying she did well in her byte gcse exam. I didnt even know she was doing exams as she is only 13.
Old 09 January 2012, 04:52 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They start them way to young in my opinion.
Old 09 January 2012, 05:12 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I have to admit although her school gets top results but she is thrown into loads of subjects, she now does 4 languages because she was good at one two years ago!

I always thought gcse's were for when you were 15/16 but things must of moved on since I was young
Old 09 January 2012, 08:27 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I think that the way it works is... If you are advanced in one area you are encouraged to sit exams earlier. I think this then allows you to concentrate more on what's left by gcse year, or do more!
Old 09 January 2012, 09:56 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevebt
Kids keep rhat quiet now dont they, my missus got a txt from my daughter today saying she did well in her byte gcse exam. I didnt even know she was doing exams as she is only 13.

Not sure I understand what all this means

1) What is a 'byte' gcse?

2) How can you not know what exams your daughter is sitting?? Do you not speak to her?
Old 09 January 2012, 10:24 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I take it a byte exam is something to do with computers and yes I do speak to her but she just chose to keep this to herself.
Old 10 January 2012, 06:26 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Surely the school speaks to the parents if they want to force the child into advanced education for their age.
Old 10 January 2012, 06:56 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Surely the school speaks to the parents if they want to force the child into advanced education for their age.
Old 10 January 2012, 09:37 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

I take it a byte exam is something to do with computers and yes I do speak to her but she just chose to keep this to herself.
I left school 7 years ago and byte was nothing to do with computers....The name rings a bell but i can't think why, but it wasn't to do with computers. I think it was just a 'fun' way to spell 'bite' as in 'bite size'
Old 10 January 2012, 10:57 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I did a quick google and couldn't find a byte gcse. Unless it's some kind of slang for an IT gcse??
Old 10 January 2012, 11:07 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with children doing exams at that age. It gets them used to them for later on. There was no problem when children were doing the 11 plus exams either.

She must be pretty good if they put her up for a gcse exam that early.

Les
Old 10 January 2012, 12:57 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 13 she would not have covered enough of the curriculum to take a GCSE......unless she was having additional teaching way over and above normal school hours.

My lad took a Stats GCSE at age 15 and also modules that count towards his GCSE's again aged 15.

never heard of a byte GCSE......

Shaun
Old 10 January 2012, 03:03 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I have just double checked the txt on my missus phone and it was "bite exam" I also cant find anythingnon the web about what it is but she must of done it if ahe said.

Then we get back to what I said I never knew she was doing a gcse and she is only 13.

Her school is in the top 30 best in the country so doing a gcse isnt a suprise but I would of thought she would mention? She didnt even tell my missus and they are really close.

Last edited by stevebt; 10 January 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10 January 2012, 04:27 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I havent mentioned it to her.
Old 10 January 2012, 04:43 PM
mikeywilliams
Scooby Regular

is bite gcse not just a new name for mock gcse (practise 1s that mean nothing)?
Old 10 January 2012, 04:47 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Old 10 January 2012, 04:53 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

rhat ****
Old 10 January 2012, 05:10 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Lets recap

my missus gets a txt from my daughter.
I'm suprised so I post on Scoobynet.
People doubt?
I repeat what I said?
Scoobynet says NO!
I say Yes!
Scoobynet says NO!

I now say who cares? I said what I thought was a suprising thing yet everyone goes No your lying??

Quality!

The joys of posting on forums
Old 10 January 2012, 05:13 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Lets recap

my missus gets a txt from my daughter.
I'm suprised so I post on Scoobynet.
People doubt?
I repeat what I said?
Scoobynet says NO!
I say Yes!
Scoobynet says NO!

I now say who cares? I said what I thought was a suprising thing yet everyone goes No your lying??

Quality!

The joys of posting on forums

Mate, I never said you lied, I have no reason to think you are lying. I just can't making any sense of what you are saying.
Old 10 January 2012, 06:27 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

I'm confused too. I have a 16 year old having taken a GCSE at 15 and a 13 year old.

OK, they don't go to a fee paying school but attend a selective Grammar School which is very exam orientated and, like Dingdongler, I'm not sure what your daughter has taken

Shaun
Old 11 January 2012, 12:53 PM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I'm confused too. I have a 16 year old having taken a GCSE at 15 and a 13 year old.

OK, they don't go to a fee paying school but attend a selective Grammar School which is very exam orientated and, like Dingdongler, I'm not sure what your daughter has taken

Shaun
I did the same myself... (20+ years ago!) - took a maths GCSE at 15 with extension paper (extension paper grades were only fail, merit or distinction) then did a half A level in maths at 16 when i sat the rest of my GCSEs.

this was also at a selective grammar school as my folks couldn't afford the fees at the local private ones so i sat an entrance exam for kids outside the borough of sutton (sutton has the 11+ still i think, but croydon, where i lived didn't) and was awarded one of 30 places based on my results.
Old 11 January 2012, 10:59 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markb_s1
I did the same myself... (20+ years ago!) - took a maths GCSE at 15 with extension paper (extension paper grades were only fail, merit or distinction) then did a half A level in maths at 16 when i sat the rest of my GCSEs.

this was also at a selective grammar school as my folks couldn't afford the fees at the local private ones so i sat an entrance exam for kids outside the borough of sutton (sutton has the 11+ still i think, but croydon, where i lived didn't) and was awarded one of 30 places based on my results.

Congratulations
Old 11 January 2012, 11:24 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Nothing wrong with children doing exams at that age. It gets them used to them for later on. There was no problem when children were doing the 11 plus exams either.

She must be pretty good if they put her up for a gcse exam that early.

Les

I second that.

Well done to Stevebt's daughter.

It is to do with the intelligent child's interest in studies, not necessarily with the intelligence or capability alone, though. An intelligent kid can potentially **** up his/her GCSE and A Levels years in p!ssing about (in other words, using those years constructively by gaining life skills for that time period e.g. sh@gging experiences, drugs, music and a sausage roll ), and wake up smelling the coffee later for his/her own good. Dr. Brian *** failed his Maths A Level, but came out just about okay, I think. He still needs a haircut very badly, though.
Old 11 January 2012, 11:34 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Turbohot..........we are not quite sure what Stevebt's daughter has done.

Do you know what exam she has taken ??

Shaun
Old 11 January 2012, 11:52 PM
Lisawrx

I could be totally wrong here, and I don't know how it works, or school now for that matter....but could it be something to do with the BBC Bitesize stuff? At a quick glance the site seems to have tests available, along with advice etc. I didn't have a good luck so I could be barking up the wrong tree. Link below for what I'm talking about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/
Old 12 January 2012, 12:03 AM
Lisawrx

On this point, kids can keep quiet. Perhaps this isn't a 'proper' exam so to speak and she just simply didn't want to mention it in case she didn't do well. If it just purely a bit practice, she might have thought it wasn't that important to mention, but as she did well, she thought you guys would be pround and had no reason not to mention it at that point. Maybe she was scared she'd feel pressured? I'm not sure, but it's possible, even if you guys don't make her feel that way...the mind of a young one can be strange.

At 13, I had to do some tests to determine what group I would be put in for my exam years (higher/intermediate/lower), perhaps it could be something to do with that??
Old 12 January 2012, 12:15 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Turbohot..........we are not quite sure what Stevebt's daughter has done.

Do you know what exam she has taken ??

Shaun
Didn't they put her up for byte GCSE exams at such a young age as 13?? I may be wrong, though. You may be able to clarify, Midlife..........

However, well done to his daughter for anything good and extraordinary she has done. I am sure she has done a few smart things, come on. All our children do, sometimes.
Old 12 January 2012, 04:22 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Thats the thing Swati, nobody knows that a byte GCSE is. I personally think if it was a proper GCSE exam of worth while (i.e. A meaningful result is to be gained) the school would have spoken to the parents about it before, especially if she was doing something prior to her age group.

This must be some sort of Mock exam or as mentioned an exam to split the classes ready for the real thing in a couple of years.

Either way, a pass is a pass so well done her
Old 12 January 2012, 06:42 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Didn't they put her up for byte GCSE exams at such a young age as 13?? I may be wrong, though. You may be able to clarify, Midlife..........

However, well done to his daughter for anything good and extraordinary she has done. I am sure she has done a few smart things, come on. All our children do, sometimes.

YES BUT WHAT ON EARTH IS A BYTE OR BITE EXAM????

I'm sure Steve's daughter is a smart young girl who is doing well. Steve is a nice chap so I'm sure his daughter is no different.

But just for my own curiosity I want to know what a byte/bite exam is. I'm not asking this to try and wind anybody up I genuinely want to know

Quick Reply: gcse exams