Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best ride on lawn tractor for large garden?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2012, 01:18 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ride on lawn tractor for large garden?

Hey,

Just moving to a new property that has a field for a garden! No more electric Flymo for us!

I will need to look at a ride on mower/tractor to tackle to grass in the wet scottish summer.

Looked on line at Hondas, John deere etc. But dont know that much about them to be honest, even though i was in the agri trade for a number of years!
But these little things are a different breed for the farm ones.

So, anyone got a specific one thats been good or bad?

My thinking is buy a good brand and a higher price, last longer and retail on higher when it needs replaced.

I guess 2-3 K will need to be spent , for a decent one.

Thanks in advance

Jamie
Old 04 January 2012, 01:24 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Get a good Westwood - we have over an acre that needs cutting and it does just fine.

Even the smallest Westwood will do you well - they last for many years and just need a basic service every one or two years.

They can cut really short and cleanly (as long as you keep it sharp) and you can get a snow plough attachment as well for the winter!!!

Last edited by Trout; 04 January 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04 January 2012, 01:30 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Trout,

Thanks for that.
I have seen Westwood around for years, so good to have owner feedback.

Snow plough is a good idea. Were around half a mile off the road though, so might have its work cut out!
Extra chunkies for the Touareg I think.

Thanks again.

J
Old 04 January 2012, 01:34 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a local john deere place right by me and we do there body work as they are a isuzi dealer so I could get you a good deal on one if you wanted me to ask mate
Old 04 January 2012, 01:37 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

We got our Westwood second hand (they hardly depreciate). It must be at least 20 years old if not nearer 30. It still runs as well as when we got it 10 years ago.
Old 04 January 2012, 01:59 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Might sound obvious but are their lots of trees, etc which you will need to go around because if you need to maneuver a lot then you're best getting a ride on mower that pivots and steers from the back.

We have a Husqvarna ride-on mower (and they say they are the leader in chainsaws, tractors/mowers and garden equipment) and can not fault it at all. Very well built and sturdy.
Old 04 January 2012, 02:01 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i have a Countax, which is similar to the Westwood (they all seem to have Briggs & Stratton motors and Tecumseh/ Peerless gearboxes)

if you are doing any lawn work, get the collector attachment that usually fits on the rear, picks up all the **** nicely

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 04 January 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04 January 2012, 02:25 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I'd also like to congratulate the OP on achieving what every real man desires - having a house with a big enough lawn / enough land to justify a ride on mower

My Granddad had a place in Norfolk with a couple of acres and two ride ons. My brother and I used to love going there as kids though he'd usually get us doing some sh*tty job first before we'd be let loose on the mowers. Spent many hours chasing each other round the garden on them whilst allegedly mowing the grass He had this little yellow one that had a forwards and backwards peddle (fairly sure it had gears too, same speed forwards or backwards ). Anyway we worked out that on their tennis court (tarmac so more grip) if you went backwards a bit then quickly stamped on the forward pedal whilst leaning back a bit you could wheelie the thing

Pretty sure the bigger one was a Westwood, was pretty good at mowing
Old 04 January 2012, 02:44 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Currently using a Husqvarna 15HP model.

There are several factors to consider when choosing a ride-on. Area to mow determines the horsepower required unless you don't mind making harder work of it than necessary. Size of cut is important too. A 36" deck is the least I'd bother with if we are talking about mowing nearer an acre or so. Hydrostatic gearboxes make mowing easy too and are far better than they used to be.

Is the terrain flat? I have a fair proportion of 'character' ground which requires a bit more concentration when mowing to avoid potential damage to the ride-on. Using a cheaper ride-on would make no financial sense over the long term as the blade carriages really do look fragile.

A decent second-hand mower can always be a clever buy but don't buy the first thing you see because of price. Consider the above carefully.

We had our first ride-on for 13 years and had it serviced regularly. Finding someone to service it locally was the most difficult part. We then did a part-ex for a new machine and for the last 7 years I've have a guy take it away in his van for a service, or he just removes the blades on site for a sharpening. It really does still look new and properly maintained will last a fair old time.

Oh and it is the wife's job.
Old 04 January 2012, 02:46 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Are they any good for tuning? FMIC, turbo upgrade etc.
Old 04 January 2012, 02:53 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
Are they any good for tuning? FMIC, turbo upgrade etc.
This guy clearly thought so.
Old 04 January 2012, 02:54 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

yes

here is a Countax

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8700030.stm
Old 04 January 2012, 02:55 PM
steve jackson
Scooby Regular

Default Mower

I've had Countax and John deere, both excellent mowers but personally I prefer the John Deere I have now LT 166 with plastic rear grass collector without going to shed to check, Ease of use, very short turning circle.

Steve
Old 04 January 2012, 02:56 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

So did his mate.

Old 04 January 2012, 02:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoon
Currently using a Husqvarna 15HP model.

There are several factors to consider when choosing a ride-on. Area to mow determines the horsepower required unless you don't mind making harder work of it than necessary. Size of cut is important too. A 36" deck is the least I'd bother with if we are talking about mowing nearer an acre or so. Hydrostatic gearboxes make mowing easy too and are far better than they used to be.

Is the terrain flat? I have a fair proportion of 'character' ground which requires a bit more concentration when mowing to avoid potential damage to the ride-on. Using a cheaper ride-on would make no financial sense over the long term as the blade carriages really do look fragile.

A decent second-hand mower can always be a clever buy but don't buy the first thing you see because of price. Consider the above carefully.

We had our first ride-on for 13 years and had it serviced regularly. Finding someone to service it locally was the most difficult part. We then did a part-ex for a new machine and for the last 7 years I've have a guy take it away in his van for a service, or he just removes the blades on site for a sharpening. It really does still look new and properly maintained will last a fair old time.

Oh and it is the wife's job.
^^^^
What he said

Ours in Fance is Best Green, but made for the French DIY sheds by Husqvarna. It's a 15.5hp, and has the hydrostatic gearbox, as mentioned. It does make mowing easier, constant speed change easily.

Ours has a 1200mm deck, a decent sized collection bag, which can be easily emptied without getting off the mower, plus a mulching facility, should you wish to do so. I find that useful if I have to cut long grass, as it tends to clog the collection port, so I cut it high on mulch, then recut after a couple of days with a lower cut and collect, it also picks up the first cut stuff.
Old 04 January 2012, 03:07 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

If your budget allows get a John Deere . I have been using their grass cutting equipment daily for nearly 20 years and they are ultra reliable and on the very rare occasions that something goes wrong the parts service is fantastic . Something like an x300r is very capable for its size .
Old 04 January 2012, 03:17 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

i have to say I have been on very intimate terms with my Countax several times, once after blowing up the gearbox, and again servicing the cutting clutch mechanism and replacing the drive belts.
Old 04 January 2012, 03:24 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

I was going to suggest going for a Toro - as it's what most of the leading greenkeepers and groundsmen use - until I saw the price. An order of magniture more than anything else mentioned... LOL

So - depends on your budget. If you're happy with 5 figures then look at the Toro range, if 4 figures is more to your liking then anything else on here.
Old 04 January 2012, 03:25 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Dan
If your budget allows get a John Deere . I have been using their grass cutting equipment daily for nearly 20 years and they are ultra reliable and on the very rare occasions that something goes wrong the parts service is fantastic . Something like an x300r is very capable for its size .
Great machine and regardless of budget I'd want more value for money and the premium on that over other mowers for domestic usage doesn't give it.
Old 04 January 2012, 03:31 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr.No
I was going to suggest going for a Toro - as it's what most of the leading greenkeepers and groundsmen use - until I saw the price. An order of magniture more than anything else mentioned... LOL

So - depends on your budget. If you're happy with 5 figures then look at the Toro range, if 4 figures is more to your liking then anything else on here.
For approximately 1 acre a brand new machine for domestic usage should be circa 2K before negotiations. Anymore than that in my experience isn't necessary. Any less than that and you make harder work of it.
Old 04 January 2012, 03:57 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Jamie I have a mate who sells ground keeping equipment to lots of golf courses around central Scotland, he might be able to help you out.
Old 04 January 2012, 04:06 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Chappys,

Thanks for the info so far.

As said ina previous reply by someone, it will be the wifes job when Im away for weeks on end with work, so need to make it easy.
The hydrostatic is a must.
No need for 4WD as its either flat (ish) or too steep for a tractor, so the banks and area around the river will need done by strimmer or push mower.

I saw a nice Mountfield that had the grass emptying from the seat too, along with the hydro box and a twin cyl engine.
Anyone using a Mountfield?
Old 04 January 2012, 05:25 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

My father in law changed from a Hayter to a Westfield (T1800?) last year and has had a few issues.
Agree on the Hydrostatic being a must option, his has manual gears and selecting them is like stirring a pudding. He now regrets not going for the Hydrostatic option (which he had before).
Old 04 January 2012, 05:36 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

For a few years I used this thing.....

Its a Brand X job from a DIY shop that cost about €950. Uses a 13hp Briggs and Statton petrol engine, and two big v-belts to drive the cutdeck and the rear axle. I abused the **** out of it for years and it kept on going without missing a beat, will cut pretty much anything, but doesn't collect clippings and it can be fixed with a hammer and some string.

I then bought this 2nd hand and its another level entirely....

Its light and easy to drive, has a 3cylinder diesel engine, hydrostatic drive, the cut deck raises and lowers hydraulically, has a rear PTO to run the vac and the rear box opens hydraulically. A tight turning circle and a diff lock means it can go pretty much anywhere too. Its a much sturdier beast than the wee one..... much, much better built.

I still keep the wee red devil for cutting really rough stuff on some lightly wooded land, as its quite rocky and I dont want to wreck the John Deere, however, the frame is showing metal fatigue and some crack and tears are appearing in the chassis. I cant complain though given the treatment it gets, the ground is so uneven that the whole thing often twists enough to flip the bonnet open.
Old 04 January 2012, 07:43 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I mow just under 2 acres. I purchased an ex council hayter LT model 8 ft cut. Cost £35k new.
Old 04 January 2012, 09:32 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Jamie this is the company my mate works for.

http://www.doublea.co.uk/index.cfm

He lives in Kincardine but they are based in cupar.
Old 04 January 2012, 09:55 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

We have a Lawnflite thing (703 I think) - wouldn't recommend it as it struggles to pick up damp grass (just clogs which is a pain as the chute needs clearing). ok at pulling a garden tractor round but, as posted above, the cutting deck's a bit exposed on it so we have to be careful with it. They are fun though - it's a pleasant job in the Summer with an ipod on

Gordo
Old 05 January 2012, 08:26 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Pah, all amateurs, if you want to mow properly get yourself a fleet
1978 Ford 333 3.0 diesel with 48hp and a 5ft 10" topper and a Mountfield nicked from my parents..

Name:  IMG_2951.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  59.7 KB

D

Last edited by Dunk; 05 January 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05 January 2012, 08:48 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

A guy near my folks drives round his garden in the landrover with a set of gang mowers.
Old 05 January 2012, 10:42 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I find that sheep are best for keeping the grass down. And the farmer pays me £100 a month.

Quick Reply: Best ride on lawn tractor for large garden?