Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car Mileage Correction

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2011, 12:22 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Mileage Correction

Are car manufactures doing enough to ensure the mileage of a car is not easy to clock back?

Or is this not there responsibility?

I know in some cars, you simply change the speedo’s, and pop the original back when its time for a service or MOT. Other cars you have to pay to get done, but still its not too expensive..

Any thoughts?
Old 06 December 2011, 12:24 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

criminals will always get round the mechnics or electrics somehow, best way is record once per year at MOT time.
Old 06 December 2011, 12:34 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rule one, NEVER believe a second hand car's mileometer!

Judge a car on wear and tear of pedals, carpet, seat etc. as well as past MOT certificates. This will give a far better indication of the age.
Old 06 December 2011, 01:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamUK
Are car manufactures doing enough to ensure the mileage of a car is not easy to clock back?

Or is this not there responsibility?

I know in some cars, you simply change the speedo’s, and pop the original back when its time for a service or MOT. Other cars you have to pay to get done, but still its not too expensive..

Any thoughts?
You don't even have to do that. With certain cars, just disconnect the sensor. As long as you don't mind driving around with no speedo, no miles go on it either.

Knew someone years ago who used to do this.
Old 06 December 2011, 01:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My Mini key only needs to be plugged in at the BMW agent's place and they seem to know everything about the car. Don't know if it records the mileage but I would not be surprised if it does.

Les
Old 06 December 2011, 02:26 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Leslie
My Mini key only needs to be plugged in at the BMW agent's place and they seem to know everything about the car. Don't know if it records the mileage but I would not be surprised if it does.

Les
I am pretty sure it does as the Audi stores it also on the key, so the key gets re-codded when the clocks are done..

there is no way you can ever trust the clocks of a car..
Old 06 December 2011, 05:18 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Rule one, NEVER believe a second hand car's mileometer!

Judge a car on wear and tear of pedals, carpet, seat etc. as well as past MOT certificates. This will give a far better indication of the age.
My old Audi (21years old) has every single MOT certificate with his papers. And his mileage was declared when I SORNed it, 9 years ago. The mileage is still the same as it has never moved
Old 06 December 2011, 05:38 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Many cars can be clocked in 5 minutes, some are easily checkable by clearly forged history. Look for new looking service books with deliberate oil stains, service writing all in the same colour pen and/or the same hand writing, usually the first few services are main dealer and any car whos first service is joe bloggs garage will be dodgy. The best check for old cars is the MOT check the MOT history using the document reference number on the certificate, this will show mileage each MOT cert. The worst victims for clocking though are 3 year old ex lease cars. Many of those have been on Ltd milage deals of 12k per year so some people give the car a haircut before sending it back to the lease company, sometimes people even clock a vehicle before each yearly service. If you want genuine milage best by from someone you know. THere are people out there who make a living just buying executive saloons with 200k plus then knocking them back to 50k and selling them on.
Old 06 December 2011, 05:39 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

On modern cars it's a lot more difficult, but clocking older cars is a doddle. It's only very recently that manufacturers have been compelled to start taking it seriously.

If you only use old stuff though, spares are so prevalent that even clocking them isn't strictly necessary anymore. It's easy to find a dash with roughly the mileage you want

In case of failures, I have three spare instrument clusters for my Sierra, and two for my Mk2 Golf. And my FZ750 has had three different speedos fitted this year alone
Old 06 December 2011, 06:43 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Are you worried your brother may have wound the clock back on the 535d? Lol
I think I read similar to what Les said about the BMW. The mileage and BMWSH can all be read from the key, the numbers in the cluster could still be altered so would need to be checked to confirm.
Old 07 December 2011, 11:33 AM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

The manufacturers are getting better with mileages stored in the memory of various car componants, it's not just in the clocks anymore, radios, keys, headlights etc are all known to store info on certain car models...

They are trying but the simple fact is if data can be written there in the first place then with the right equipment it can also be changed...
Old 07 December 2011, 11:55 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Its not that easy on newage scoobs, Ive been looking into correcting mine as its higher then it needs to be due to the first 19k being in Kilometers and then the last few in Miles, but it now reads close to 40k when its under 30,000 miles.
Old 07 December 2011, 12:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
You don't even have to do that. With certain cars, just disconnect the sensor. As long as you don't mind driving around with no speedo, no miles go on it either.

Knew someone years ago who used to do this.
Alot of modern cars will not start without the intrument cluster connected these days. VAGs being one good example.

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
Modern BMWs do indeed store data in the keys, but its just a copy of the data in the ECUs, they do also store mileage information in several ECUs in addition to the IKE (instrument cluster electronics). However I've seen clocked BMWs as new as e90 3 series which by all accounts is a pretty modern car, although I don't know if a check digit will be flagged if the ECUs were interrogated.

Other thing to be noteworthy of - Since 2006 MOTs recorded the mileage of every vehicle tested at the DVLA, and you can check this out for FREE: here ---> http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/interne...ry-Request.jsp

My clocking BMW friend will not get away from the above if it were MOT'd with its original mileage
Old 07 December 2011, 12:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Other thing to be noteworthy of - Since 2006 MOTs recorded the mileage of every vehicle tested at the DVLA, and you can check this out for FREE: here ---> http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/interne...ry-Request.jsp
Seeing the V5 is sat beside me: Heres one of our old BMW:

Your MOT history

You asked for test history information for vehicle registration XXXXXXX. You provided Registration Certificate document reference number 61598XXXXXXXX to confirm that you had a legitimate interest in the vehicle. If you do not have a legitimate interest in the vehicle you must destroy the document. This information is correct at 07/12/2011.

There are no later tests for this Vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Recent Vehicle Details and Test Summary applicable to this Registration Certificate document reference number.
Registration mark:XXXXXXXMake/Model:BMW / 528Colour:SILVERVIN/Chassis No:WBADD62040XXXXXXXXpproximate date of first use:31/12/1997Type of fuel:Petrol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date of test:05/11/2011
Certificate issued (Pass)
Odometer reading:92,712 MilesTest number:47973930130XTest expiry date:04/11/2012

Full Test History, starting with first recorded vehicle and test results

Registration mark:XXXXXXXMake/Model:BMW / 528Colour:SILVERVIN/Chassis No:WBADD62040XXXXXXXApproximate date of first use:31/12/1997Type of fuel:Petrol
Date of test:23/01/2006
Odometer reading:78,476 MilesTest number:4414535260Test station name:XXXXXXXTest station number:XXXXXXXTest station telephone number:XXXXXXXTest class:IVTest expiry date:28/01/2007
No Advisory Notice issued

Date of test:25/01/2007
Odometer reading:84,560 MilesTest number:613805327Test station name:XXXXXXXTest station number:XXXXXXXTest station telephone number:XXXXXXXTest class:IVTest expiry date:28/01/2008
Advisory Notice issued

Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Offside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

Change of details
Make/Model:BMW / 528I SE AUTO recorded at time of test on 25/01/2007
Date of test:02/02/2008
Odometer reading:88,658 MilesTest number:743223438Test station name:XXXXXXXTest station number:XXXXXXXTest station telephone number:XXXXXXXTest class:IVTest expiry date:01/02/2009

Date of test:22/01/2009
Odometer reading:91,320 MilesTest number:591352929Test station name:XXXXXXXTest station number:XXXXXXXTest station telephone number:XXXXXXXTest class:IVTest expiry date:01/02/2010

Date of test:02/02/2010
Odometer reading:92,516 MilesTest number:422633530Test station name:XXXXXXXTest station number:XXXXXXXTest station telephone number:XXXXXXXTest class:IVTest expiry date:01/02/2011
Advisory Notice issued

Offside Rear Upper Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.3)

Change of details
Make/Model:BMW / 528 recorded at time of test on 02/02/2010
Date of test:12/08/2011
Certificate issue refused (Fail)
Odometer reading:92,712 MilesTest number:15758402Test station name:XXXXXXXTest station number:XXXXXXXTest station telephone number:XXXXXXXTest class:IV
Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Offside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)

Advisory Notice issued

Offside Rear Upper Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.3)

Date of test:05/11/2011
Odometer reading:92,712 MilesTest number:479739301Test station name:XXXXXXXTest station number:XXXXXXXTest station telephone number:XXXXXXXTest class:IVTest expiry date:04/11/2012

This completes the test history for the above vehicle as recorded on VOSA's MOT Computerisation Database

Yup, it failed in August... rusty brake lines (fixed now though )

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 December 2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 15 October 2012, 12:22 AM
tsj
Scooby Newbie

Its very possible, i do this for a living;

and have done many subaru cars in my time... many of them had km to miles conversion and needed me to correct the mileage for them.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 October 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: commercial link
Old 15 October 2012, 05:18 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Sure I read the just other week that as from next year mileage off the car will be recorded come mot time, obviously wont help with new cars within there first few years but will surely help slow down this trend with older cars ??
Old 15 October 2012, 09:00 AM
tsj
Scooby Newbie

mileage from the last 4 years is already stored by VOSA during MOT
Old 15 October 2012, 10:07 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Simply put mileage back before each MOT. Job done.

Recording mileage at MOT wont stop clocking
Old 15 October 2012, 10:11 AM
tsj
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mamoon2

This is the thing... we cant stop that and it will continue to happen.
Old 15 October 2012, 10:22 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Not sure you if you guys have this option.
In N.Ireland, we are able to record mileage when taxing the car.
Old 15 October 2012, 10:24 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tsj
Its very possible, i do this for a living;

and have done many subaru cars in my time... many of them had km to miles conversion and needed me to correct the mileage for them.
Just out of curiosity.
What if someone simply comes up to you and asks for the mileage to be reduced by x thousand.
Do you just go OK?

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 October 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: commercial link
Old 15 October 2012, 10:56 AM
tsj
Scooby Newbie

I do indeed, thats because its not required by law to ask. Maybe I'm greedy or maybe I don't have the time to ask because I have another guy waiting.

Most of the guys doing Subaru's are genuine guys who have replaced their cluster, as they seem to have a few issues with them.
Old 15 October 2012, 01:48 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by jono300
Sure I read the just other week that as from next year mileage off the car will be recorded come mot time, obviously wont help with new cars within there first few years but will surely help slow down this trend with older cars ??
Jono, read my post above...the quoted text is the online MOT report for one of my old cars...The MOT test station has logged its mileage since Jan 2006.

Any member of the public with the MOT certificate can get this info free of charge.

Originally Posted by mamoon2

Well some manufacturer's cars do log mileage in more than one ECU. Not just the instrument cluster. That needs a bit more brain power to get around...and with some cars and what some 'pros' charge to "clock" a car, it could cost more than the car's loss in value if its clocked before every MOT.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 October 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 15 October 2012, 03:21 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Clocking is tempting for historical vehicle insurance with limited annual mileage restrictions. dl
Old 15 October 2012, 11:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Tempting? You'd have to do some serious mileage to get a significant premium hike IMO. Unless you went over your stated maximum. I think I'm on 10K a year with my current classic car policy...I did ask for 5K but was told it made no difference to the quoted premium...which was only Ł350 anyway. They were more intersted in the fact it was a second car and that it was garaged and not used overnight.

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 October 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 16 October 2012, 10:39 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

never trust the mileage of a 2nd had car.. if you buy a brand new car, nothing stops you from spending Ł60 a year have the mileage turned back before every service \ mot.. as long as you keep the car nice and clean and the engine sounds sweat there's no reason it wont sell for loads of money.
Old 16 October 2012, 10:41 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

A sweaty sounding engine? Can you get deodorants?
Old 16 October 2012, 10:42 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

lol