Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Window lock problem - help!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2011, 11:26 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window lock problem - help!!

One of our wooden frame window handles has closed and locked itself. I can't find a key and there may well be a bit of the old key jamming the lock.

With the handle in a vertical closed position I cannot access the screw that secures the handle to the frame. I don't mind damaging the handle but don't want to damage the window frame.

So what can I do? Local locksmith will be £45 plus new parts so I'd like to fix it if I can.

I did wonder about drilling out the small barrel or even jamming a screwdriver in the tiny keyhole and trying to turn it to see if I can bust the locking mechanism but don't want to exacerbate the situation.

Any safe breakers on here who can advise please?

David
Old 28 November 2011, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We have similar locks on our PVC windows and I have bad dreams about losing the key. I can't think of a way to make your lock work again with the key and getting a broken piece of key out of the lock is s real headache.

You might be able to force the lock with a screwdriver. Maybe you can get that screw undone with a right angle screwdriver although that is often difficult with a really tight screw.

I have a feeling that you may well have to get a locksmith in to avoid making even more accidental damage which would be even more expensive.

If you can get the lock off the window then WD40 and judicial "tapping" might get the broken key to drop out.

Les
Old 28 November 2011, 11:46 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Not specifically into breaking and entering, but I had this problem with some uPVC window handles. Appropriate flat screwdriver hammered in gently worked a treat. Lock mechanism must be made of cheese.
Old 28 November 2011, 12:19 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

would a magnet not pull the old key out, you may have to tap the handle gently to help it, it used to work on the filling cabinets if people broke the key, if you only have a big magnet just use a small screwdriver in the hole obviously with the magnet stuck to it,
hope that makes some sense.
Old 28 November 2011, 01:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
would a magnet not pull the old key out, you may have to tap the handle gently to help it, it used to work on the filling cabinets if people broke the key, if you only have a big magnet just use a small screwdriver in the hole obviously with the magnet stuck to it,
hope that makes some sense.
I did think about that but keys for other windows are flimsy rubbish and I think they may be gunmetal or similar which I assume is not magnetic? Stupid thing is I can't find a magnet in the house to test with. I also wondered about one of those tiny "super magnets" which would take your fillings out

Thanks for other comments btw.

David
Old 28 November 2011, 01:41 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

come across this very often. Grip the handle with both hands and using brute force push/pull the handle open.
Old 28 November 2011, 02:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If its like most window locks, all it does is lock the handle, not the mechanism. So do what you like to get the handle off or force it. Or drill out the lock.

First I'd try picking it - they usually are rubbish locks and can be easy to pick via jiggling with suitably bent paperclip. Or an old screwdriver and a hammer and mole grips...bang bang, then force/turn the lock.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 November 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 28 November 2011, 02:13 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

if its monkey metal then try a cocktail stick and super glue