Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jakarta - anyone been?

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2011, 05:02 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jakarta - anyone been?

What's worth seeing/doing, on business but I've a weekend to myself.

Hoping that electronic stuff is reasonably priced compared to the UK.
Old 26 November 2011, 06:40 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not too great to be honest. If you want to see some of the country proper you need to get out of the city. Jakarta is a very overcrowded claustrophobic place and there really isn't that much to see in the city itself.

If you've a weekend to spare I would consider a cheap flight to Bali (less than an hour - approx 90USD fare) and take in a day at Kintamani and a day in Ubud ... avoid Kuta and the touristy places in the south.
Old 26 November 2011, 06:57 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother is now there and electronic stuff is not much cheaper than here,if you want cheap electronic stuff China or Hong Kong are better choices.

What my brother said,in Jakarta is really cheap food and clothes..

Jura
Old 26 November 2011, 07:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

As per F1 comments really. Very humid away from aircon but enough to do. I bought a few batiks which are cheap as chips and easy on the suitcase.

I tried to get to Bali for a few days but it was bloody bank holiday so flights all full.

If you wake up early look out over city as locals are releasing pigeons from roof tops - seems a bit of a cottage industry!

dl
Old 26 November 2011, 07:16 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I think Bali is out of the question as in the first week we're doing lots of flights around Indonesia so flying again at the weekend wouldn't be my first choice, I'll see what I think once we're there, maybe a trip outside of the city is a good idea.
Old 26 November 2011, 07:35 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Getting to and from airport is a pain, roads are gridlocked 24/7, I would say find something in and around Jakarta to do, unless you have experiance of Bali don't try and do a weekend there as you will spend all your time travelling and flustered, a weekend in and around kuta is dooable but don't try for kintamani/ubud you will be worn out.

Keep your wits about you in Jakarta, I had 2 attempted muggings /pick pockets in one day there.