Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Excellent

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2011, 01:37 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool Excellent

No more hiding behind the bike sheds puffing away / hopping on buses during cross country

Could save hugely on treating bloaters in midlife

if teachers cant afford more time , just remove religious instruction / indoctrination

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15774788
Old 21 November 2011, 01:54 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not everyone is suited to competitive sport, our abilities tend to go in the direction in which our talents lie.

I think it is wrong to force competitive sport on children if it does not suit them. Nothing wrong in physical fitness training but official tests etc. would be unfair and would not achieve anything of significance.

Full facilities should be available for physical activities and children should be expected to take part. If they are naturals then that would show and they could earn their way into sporting teams to represent the school if they are good enough at it. That would be a natural progression.

Forcing them to achieve a set standard would not work.

Les
Old 21 November 2011, 02:18 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My mate has moved to new Zealand to teach Physical education and the standard of fitness among children there is a lot higher. Over here half of his classes were full of children sat at the sidelines with letters from their mummy excusing them from pe.
Old 21 November 2011, 02:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Its a bit like banning smokers from public areas and now the press to stop em smoking in cars full stop Mr Leslie sir , there was uproar followed by a grudging acceptance and then demonisation of the offender - But deaths are tumbling
Old 21 November 2011, 02:39 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Sounds good to me, what's wrong with our kids getting fit(ter)? I agree that some kids are not suited to sports however they should still be able to attain a level of fitness if not sporting achievement ...

An obese adult is not a pleasant sight but an obese kid is tantamount to cruelty imho

TX.
Old 21 November 2011, 03:09 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Not everyone is suited to competitive sport, our abilities tend to go in the direction in which our talents lie.
I think it is wrong to force competitive sport on children if it does not suit them. Nothing wrong in physical fitness training but official tests etc. would be unfair and would not achieve anything of significance.
Full facilities should be available for physical activities and children should be expected to take part. If they are naturals then that would show and they could earn their way into sporting teams to represent the school if they are good enough at it. That would be a natural progression.
Forcing them to achieve a set standard would not work.
Les
I agree.

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Sounds good to me, what's wrong with our kids getting fit(ter)? I agree that some kids are not suited to sports however they should still be able to attain a level of fitness if not sporting achievement ...
An obese adult is not a pleasant sight but an obese kid is tantamount to cruelty imho
TX.
But how many will get fitter? Are the PE teachers going to stand over kids and force them to exercise.
"I sink perhaps zat zis vun ist acceptable to be ein member of ze master-race now Wolfgang"
Old 21 November 2011, 03:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Its a bit like banning smokers from public areas and now the press to stop em smoking in cars full stop Mr Leslie sir , there was uproar followed by a grudging acceptance and then demonisation of the offender - But deaths are tumbling
I think I understand what you are saying.

That is why I said that children should have sporting facilities and be expected to use them. Important to encourage healthy fitness,but giving them standards to achieve would not suit all of them.

Les

Trending Topics

Old 21 November 2011, 03:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Hands up anyone who liked/enjoyed PE at secondary school?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSFMz3RsDxk

PE at my school was like the PE in a Grimleys epsiode (actually the one bloke in the Grimleys was in my year at the same school LOL...he's the fat one third from the left at the front )

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 November 2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 21 November 2011, 03:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alg
I agree.

But how many will get fitter? Are the PE teachers going to stand over kids and force them to exercise.
"I sink perhaps zat zis vun ist acceptable to be ein member of ze master-race now Wolfgang"
Black kids can run faster anyway - so its all good

Last edited by dpb; 21 November 2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 21 November 2011, 04:04 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

I remember a time when i did P.E. at school.

Literaly, 'A' time.

Couldn't be bothered after that.
Old 21 November 2011, 04:42 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Black kids can faster anyway - so its all good
the race card played again waits for the Biafran jokes now
Old 21 November 2011, 05:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Phuysical fitness is something French kids take for granted. they WILL take part, no messing. plus they think nowt of walking to school, or cycling.

They also don't tend to pick between meals. The crisp section in our local supermarket is one shelf.

Here it's TWO whole aisles.

But look at French girls on the beach compared to pear-shaped English girls.
Old 21 November 2011, 05:32 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Never had an issue with PE - I was good at it, which helped

Never a great footballer tbh, but being ambidextrous helped, especially in things like Hockey, and tennis
Was also good at Track & Field.

SO, bring it on.... great idea.
Old 21 November 2011, 05:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

I coudnt wait for the midwinter splash round the orchards that passed for corss country out the the back of our school
Old 21 November 2011, 06:03 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

My mates thought I was a geyer for choosing trampoline as my option.

Until they saw the girls in their leotards.....................;-)
Old 21 November 2011, 06:23 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I didn't like PE at school because it felt like we were being forced rather than encouraged. Most weeks we had to do "cross-country" except it wasn't country, it was run on pavements along two main roads (made worse by pervy van-drivers pipping and shouting at us), get to the half-way point to be met by the fat PE teachers who had driven there...
I did, however, do plenty of sports outside of school; five nights a week at the local youth club - rounders, badminton, five-a-side etc then swimming or ice-skating on a weekend with my mates.
Make sport fun and kids will do it but I also think parents need to join in/ encourage them and not leave it all to the teachers.
Old 21 November 2011, 06:47 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bloody hell our school did Physical Education as a GCSE exam,Practical and theory.Lucky for me i was good at sports and was in the school running team,didn't give a **** about football though,Anyhow we learned about the body,Muscles,slow and fast twitch etc skeleton sports injuries,first aid.

That was taught from my 2nd or 3rd year in senior school....
Old 21 November 2011, 07:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry..........I'm distracted...........someone mentioned girls in leotards?
Old 21 November 2011, 07:24 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alg
I agree.

Ze vuns alife at ze ent off ze lesson!
Old 21 November 2011, 08:41 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by Alg
Perhaps it'll work like an academic class, practice leads to improvement

TX.
Old 21 November 2011, 09:07 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Our cross country run was 3 laps round two fields with the top field passing past a parade of shops and out of view from the staff sitting in chairs at the start...

Parade of shops had a chip shop and did 20p bag of chips
Old 21 November 2011, 10:23 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I did, but only the last 2 years when mixed hockey was introduced and I played goalie, my 2 defenders were female
Old 22 November 2011, 01:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSFMz3RsDxk

PE at my school was like the PE in a Grimleys epsiode (actually the one bloke in the Grimleys was in my year at the same school LOL...he's the fat one third from the left at the front )
Well I quite enjoyed PE but the difference is that I played rugby and hockey for the school and was also in the school gymnastics demonstration team.

As I said above, it does not suit everyone, but children should be encouraged to take exercise for their own good.

Les
Old 22 November 2011, 01:38 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

Not sure if this is the same in all schools now.... but when my daughter does cross country the teacher drives round in a car!!!!

Now when i was at school there was one teacher running at the front and one at the back trying to get the lazy g1ts to keep up lol
Old 22 November 2011, 01:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes same here, don't think much of the example you quote!

Les
Old 22 November 2011, 02:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Fleetster
Not sure if this is the same in all schools now.... but when my daughter does cross country the teacher drives round in a car!!!!

Now when i was at school there was one teacher running at the front and one at the back trying to get the lazy g1ts to keep up lol
They were bunch of lazy ***** in my school. They didn't drive, but the cross country route (ahem, across the park and round some residential streets) had short cuts which they took to get to the check points (by walking), obviously because they used the short cuts, meant that if we'd use them we would get caught.

One bloke was fat/old too arthritic to do anything, the other was fit, bit only did weights and nothing else, he also had fake tan.

The women PE teachers weren't any better. One was fat (for no want of a better word) and I never saw her run, not once, just stand and shout.

The other was more athletic, but she was a perv....quite happily finding excuses to walk through the lad's changing rooms saying to any protester "shut up I've seen it all before"...yeah, and if a male teacher did the same in the girl's changing rooms...what would happen? Instant dismissal!

Also the fact that now I know quite a bit about swimming pool management, I now know what I swam in was water full of chloromines....a by-product of lack of chlorine, poor PH control and organic matter (urine). A well managed pool doesn't smell of anything, nor taste of anything, nor sting eyes....this one stank of chemicles, tasted sour and stung eyes like tear gas (Nitrogen Trichloride), infact many kids had to be excluded due to adverse eye reactions - faces all red and puffy and streaming eyes.

Oh if only I knew then what I know now....I'd have that place shut down and super-chlorinated ASAP.

Things weren't helped by the gymnasium hall being made out of bounds for several years to due 'concerning structural cracks' meaning more outdoor sports in the middle of winter.

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 November 2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 23 November 2011, 02:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nothing like a game of rugby on frosty ground!

Makes you run faster to avoid being tackled.

Les