Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Red Arrows pilot seriously hurt at base!

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2011, 03:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Red Arrows pilot seriously hurt at base!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15640104

Tony
Old 08 November 2011, 04:36 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The report from This is Lincolnshire -

A Red Arrows pilot is believed to have died in an incident at RAF Scampton.

The Echo understands the pilot ejected from one of the jets while on the ground and his parachute failed to deploy. It is believed he suffered multiple injuries.
Old 08 November 2011, 05:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Jeez, that's bad, that's two serious accidents in a short time.........

There will be calls for the disbanding of the Red Arrows, mark my words.
Old 08 November 2011, 05:26 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar

There will be calls for the disbanding of the Red Arrows, mark my words.
Daily Mail editors are probably foaming at the mouth.

Bad news for sure but hardly likely to be anything more than just an unfortunate coincidence.
Old 08 November 2011, 05:59 PM
Jon01
Scooby Newbie

Dreadful news, RIP
Old 08 November 2011, 06:03 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

R.I.P
Old 08 November 2011, 06:03 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Another sad loss

Weren't the Hawke fleet grounded a couple of years back due to ejector seat related issues?
Old 08 November 2011, 06:09 PM
deepy
Scooby Regular

How on earth would an ejector seat deploy accidentally? I cant imagine for one moment it would be a deliberate act to use it with the plane stationary on the ground. Terrible.

Last edited by deepy; 08 November 2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08 November 2011, 08:25 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Same as air bags.
Old 09 November 2011, 03:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is very unusual for the seat to operate unless either of the two ejection handles are pulled. The one above the head or the one between the legs.

It is necessary for a triangular sear to be withdrawn from a slotted vertical rod at the top of the firing tube just behind the pilot's head. It is pulled out by a cable attached to either of the firing handles. That allows the rod to travel downwards to fire the intial charge to start the firing mechanism. There is a hole in the back of the sear into which the seat safety pin can be inserted so that it is impossible for the sear to be withdrawn. This would be a parking position for the aircraft, say in the hangar. The safety pin can also be inserted in front of the seat pan firing handle to prevent it fron being operated. This is the normal position if the aircraft is parked on the line ready for use and the pilot has to remove it and stow it during flight.

It is very difficult to understand how the seat fired off unless one of the handles was operated accidentally. Very unlikely I can assure you. Takes a positive pull to operate it. You can see the extended firing tube sticking up out of the front cockpit.

Also the fact that the canopy miniature detonating cord did not operate to break the canopy since the rear half of the canopy is intact, the front half must have been broken by the seat going through it, indicates that neither seat firing handle was operated.

This is a real worry since the seat must have fired off due to an inherent fault of some kind in the seat.

From my time flying the Hawk, I don't remember any kind of a seat problem which required any different treatment in the use of the seat.

Les
Old 09 November 2011, 04:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is very unusual for the seat to operate unless either of the two ejection handles are pulled. The one above the head or the one between the legs.

It is necessary for a triangular sear to be withdrawn from a slotted vertical rod at the top of the firing tube just behind the pilot's head. It is pulled out by a cable attached to either of the firing handles. That allows the rod to travel downwards to fire the intial charge to start the firing mechanism. There is a hole in the back of the sear into which the seat safety pin can be inserted so that it is impossible for the sear to be withdrawn. This would be a parking position for the aircraft, say in the hangar. The safety pin can also be inserted in front of the seat pan firing handle to prevent it fron being operated. This is the normal position if the aircraft is parked on the line ready for use and the pilot has to remove it and stow it during flight.

It is very difficult to understand how the seat fired off unless one of the handles was operated accidentally. Very unlikely I can assure you. Takes a positive pull to operate it. You can see the extended firing tube sticking up out of the front cockpit.

Also the fact that the canopy miniature detonating cord did not operate to break the canopy since the rear half of the canopy is intact, the front half must have been broken by the seat going through it, indicates that neither seat firing handle was operated.

This is a real worry since the seat must have fired off due to an inherent fault of some kind in the seat.

From my time flying the Hawk, I don't remember any kind of a seat problem which required any different treatment in the use of the seat.

Les
My understanding as well. It is the pilots responsibility to remove the pin as part of the preflight check. I do remember there being a concern in the early 90's about hawk bang seats -- from memory one misfired, sending the pilot out though the closed canopy with fatal results.
Old 09 November 2011, 04:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Did not hear about that one, was on a different aircraft at the time.

A real tragedy.

Les