Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Christmas adverts, esp Littlewoods.

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2011, 11:45 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Christmas adverts, esp Littlewoods.

Already boring their way into my soul but I am used to that even though its only still early November, I wonder how many suicides they are responsible for, that along with bloody Christmas songs on repeat in shops, its horrible, so relentless and predictable.

However, all else pales compared to the latest Littlewoods advert, it beggars belief, starts off annoying and twee with little kids reciting brand names and then goes all Urban with little kids doing gang style posturing, all going on about their "lovely lovely mother" providing said branded items (Not Santa I notice....) then it mentions how you can put yourself in hock to put a "Laptop on Grandads Knee" or a get a "HTC for uncle Ken", uncle Ken can **** off and get socks, not a bloody £400 mobile, I know they are a commercial entity that exists to make profits but jesus this ad stinks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INJ5Q16EntU&feature=pyv

At least the M and S one is vaguely interesting (Once), the Coca Cola one with the Polar Bears or the big truck are quite nice is left until fairly close to Christmas but the rest are on too early, too often and are too in your face.
Old 08 November 2011, 11:52 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

The new M&S advert for crimbo with the Xfactor finalists in it is extremely annoying. The real kick in the crouch with that ad is the girl sings like she's from a Disney movie.
Old 08 November 2011, 12:04 PM
Will
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jacko, do you think you can escape the Littlewoods one?? Can you ****, they play it on the local radio non stop
Old 08 November 2011, 12:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Will
Jacko, do you think you can escape the Littlewoods one?? Can you ****, they play it on the local radio non stop
It does seem universally hated and unavoidable, people say well it gets you talking about them, yes, saying its **** and I will never, ever buy anything from them based on that risible advert.
Old 08 November 2011, 01:01 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
The new M&S advert for crimbo with the Xfactor finalists in it is extremely annoying. The real kick in the crouch with that ad is the girl sings like she's from a Disney movie.
For that exact reason, I will not be buying ANYTHING from M&S for the next 12 months.
I hate X Factor with a passion and for M&S to jump onboard when the shows ratings are in free fall is sheer lunacy!

And when you consider that most of X Factor viewers more than likely shop in Matalan or Primark (not a dig, just common sense), who the hell does M&S think they are appealing to?

Old 08 November 2011, 01:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I made the mistake of clicking the Littlewood's one...for about 15 seconds!

At least I know to avoid it like the plague now-as far as possible anyway.

I suppose we can only expect worse as time passes.

Les
Old 08 November 2011, 03:10 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I just wish they had picked a child who could say the word mother, and not muver!!

I hate it! However, what I hate more is my daughter saying 'my lovely, lovely mmuuvveerrr' in an even more annoying voice than the child in the advert!!
Old 08 November 2011, 03:14 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
a "HTC for uncle Ken",

uncle Ken can **** off and get socks.

I couldn't agree more!
Old 08 November 2011, 03:19 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

I totally agree with all the above.
But what really boils my pi££ is Christmas eve with the family watching the telly and all the Christmas adverts have gone and it's all about the sales starting boxing day. I really feel for the people having to work over Christmas.

I will never go to the sales or ever shop on boxing day ....
Old 08 November 2011, 03:26 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
I totally agree with all the above.
But what really boils my pi££ is Christmas eve with the family watching the telly and all the Christmas adverts have gone and it's all about the sales starting boxing day. I really feel for the people having to work over Christmas.

I will never go to the sales or ever shop on boxing day ....
Looks like I'm working xmas eve and boxing day and newyears eve/day....ffs can't even take my birthday off. I'd say thank **** for overtime but i don't even get paid for it.
Old 08 November 2011, 03:48 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Feel for you mate. I can understand the police, fire, ambulance and nursing staff working. And if I worked in that profession I would expect it.

But selling 2nds on boxing day for £3 off a pair of under crackers I find disgraceful.
Then again on the other hand they wouldn't open if shoppers didn't weren't about.
Old 08 November 2011, 04:11 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Looks like I'm working xmas eve and boxing day and newyears eve/day....ffs can't even take my birthday off. I'd say thank **** for overtime but i don't even get paid for it.
You don't paid overtime for working on boxing day/new years day?

Sod that!

Wifey works for the Police and gets double time, although not this year as she is on maternity leave. My company shuts from 23rd of December through to 3rd of January. Although I am off from the 21st as I had holiday to use up.

And I will not being entering one shop over that period. (I'll be too pissed to drive anyway! )
Old 08 November 2011, 04:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

It is mad, everybody rushes down to the shops near us and clog the bypass up, all panicing to buy stuff, is the need to shop so powerful that they need to go there straight after one days enforced abstinence, is the lure of a potential bargain so great.

My mum described the next sale as a bun fight with people all doing really stinky farts and got annoyed at a certain racial group for filling massive bags with stuff, presumably to sell in their shops.

Christmas now is a mawkish, drawn out, expensive, overblown parody of itself, nothing can be scheduled between mid November and mid January at work due to it, its become a Monster or consumption. As a kid I remember we had stuff we didnt have all year round, some pop, crisps and we got some sweets, selection boxes and such, my dad got a few beers (say 8 cans of Heineken) but now people buy enough ten times over, see the proud looking bloke in Tescos pushing a trolley full of booze, I think we have so much nowadays, when we want it, it isnt special and to make it so we feel like we have to really over indulge.

TV isnt what it was, they used to put a few big films on and the lack of choice was actually pretty good, now instead of all settling in for a film everyone is on their phones or laptops watching stuff in isolation, no sense of occasion.

It all started on what the first of November, they creep it forward a bit every year, first the odd hamper advert in May, then DFS start casually mentioning it in October, about delivery for Christmas as if your entire festive enjoyment depends on a new sofa, come November the gloves are off and every advert has snow, baubles and bloody sleighbells, the shops pay Christmas music on repeat, doesnt get me spending it makes me want to get out if I hear Noddy Holder. Its all part of the same old tired **** trotted out every year labelled "Christmas", like ratty old tinsel, out comes Noddy.

It needs scaling back, no advertising until December, I dont mind Christmas but I hate what it has become, basically a marketing ploy and leverage to make people spend money they havent got on **** for people who dont want or need it, its just the act of unwrapping something, who actually needs a "Golfers Set" from M and S, we had a company come round at work selling expensive cufflinks, people buying them not because someone really needs or wants some, just to fulfil an obligation to spend a certain amount of money on someone.
Old 08 November 2011, 04:17 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
You don't paid overtime for working on boxing day/new years day?

Sod that!
Nope, neither will i get paid for the time that I work late which will be every night after the first week of December.

Retails a joke and anything who quotes you that its "getting better" is either stupid or lying as its far worse now than I have seen it in the past 10years of retail.
Old 08 November 2011, 07:46 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell, Jacko! Do you need to lay down in a darkened room?

I agree with every word you said!
Old 08 November 2011, 07:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Bloody hell, Jacko! Do you need to lay down in a darkened room?
:
Thought that was an invite at first !
Old 08 November 2011, 07:56 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

How do you know it wasn't?
Old 08 November 2011, 08:25 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I'd get in on her while she's in an agreeable mood..