Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody got solar panels?

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2011, 08:33 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody got solar panels?

Will probably have my heating reconfigured soon and was thinking about these.

Do they actually save enough money on bills to justify their cost?

Are there grants to help towards these?

Any other pros/cons?

I know I could ring a company and find out but once people like that have your details they keep bothering you even when you aren't interested
Old 31 October 2011, 08:53 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Around here there are companies that fit them free and any electric not used goes back to the company that fit them... Something like £25k to fit and need replacing every 25yrs... What if a football hits them .... £25k please...
IMO THey are new technology and still cost more then they give... Otherwise everyone would be on the gravy train..

Oh it helps if you have a south facing garden...
Old 31 October 2011, 08:55 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

announced on the radio today that the subsidies for solar panels will be halved for any orders taken after mid Dec 2011!
Old 31 October 2011, 09:25 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.

It wasn't the inflated price you could sell the leccy back for that I was interested in, it was the reduction in heating bills they might produce.

Are the 'subsidies' that are being cut for the actual price of the solar panels or the price of the leccy you can sell back?

Anybody have an idea what a couple of solar panels might save you off your heating bill?
Old 31 October 2011, 09:57 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Around here there are companies that fit them free and any electric not used goes back to the company that fit them... Something like £25k to fit and need replacing every 25yrs... What if a football hits them .... £25k please...
IMO THey are new technology and still cost more then they give... Otherwise everyone would be on the gravy train..

Oh it helps if you have a south facing garden...
They do not cost £26k nowhere near
Old 31 October 2011, 10:09 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I've got two companies coming this week to quote, but I've phoned them both and told them not to bother unless they can commit to having the job done and registered by December 12. The govt announced today that the feed in tariff for retro-fit PV is being cut from 43.3 ppu to 21.0 ppu for systems registered after that date. This reduces the return on investment from ~9% to below 4% - so you might as well put the money in a 5 year investment bond instead.

Looks like Chris Huhne's work to me, he really doesn't have a clue. This will kill the industry stone dead. In a delicious irony the announcement is in the form of a consultation and the closing date for comments is after the change will take effect.

Trending Topics

Old 31 October 2011, 10:11 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Scud out of interest what companies are coming out?
Old 31 October 2011, 10:15 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Thanks.

It wasn't the inflated price you could sell the leccy back for that I was interested in, it was the reduction in heating bills they might produce.

Are the 'subsidies' that are being cut for the actual price of the solar panels or the price of the leccy you can sell back?

Anybody have an idea what a couple of solar panels might save you off your heating bill?
You might be better off with solar thermal panels rather than PV if you want to reduce your heating bills. The other thing to consider is a ground source heat pump. The Renewable Heating Initiative kicks off next year, and, IIRC includes grants towards installation and a tariff payable from later in the year. See http://www.rhincentive.co.uk/RHI/quick/ for details.
Old 31 October 2011, 10:20 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
Scud out of interest what companies are coming out?
Both local to me - SolarTech and Chiltern Solar. They're both still coming out, but are not 100% sure they will be able to do the job in time. They claim to have plenty of installers, but understandably they are predicting panels may be in short supply for the next month or so.

Huhne really is an idiot (sorry - had to say it again). Wish the police would hurry up and charge him for (allegedly) getting his wife to take points for him.
Old 31 October 2011, 10:23 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

They Only take 1-2 days to install. I bet they'll manage easily
Old 31 October 2011, 10:28 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scud8
You might be better off with solar thermal panels rather than PV if you want to reduce your heating bills. The other thing to consider is a ground source heat pump. The Renewable Heating Initiative kicks off next year, and, IIRC includes grants towards installation and a tariff payable from later in the year. See http://www.rhincentive.co.uk/RHI/quick/ for details.

I already have GSHP fitted, am i eligble for the tariff next year ?
Old 01 November 2011, 01:07 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Great link. Phase 2 is very interesting.*

I saw a pretty nasty picture of a council estate turned into a solar farm today. It looked terrible.*
Old 01 November 2011, 09:42 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
You're right. The man doesn't have a clue. Which is why this won't be his "work". Basically the government have seen sense and decided that a blank cheque to those that can afford solar is not a good thing when they don't have any money. The FIT comes from the government and thus from the rest of us tax payers and I for one resent what is basically another "tax". Even if it is collected by the energy companies.

Whinge all you like about not making as much money for old rope. Just remember that the money you make/would have made is coming out of the pocket of all other tax payers with no choice.

Dave
To some extent I agree with you, but the government have to decide whether they believe in their renewables targets or not. Very few people would risk investing £10-£12K in a new technology just for the warm fuzzy feeling of saving the planet, so there has to be a sensible return on the investment to justify that risk. <4% compared to current rates for fixed term savings accounts is just stupid.

The mistake they have made is not distinguishing enough between industrial/commercial scale installations and residential installations (and the rent-a-roof schemes). The big investors have seen the opportunity and moved in quickly, taking up a big proportion of the subsidies the government originally intended for home-owner installations.
Old 01 November 2011, 09:42 AM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by molko
I already have GSHP fitted, am i eligble for the tariff next year ?
Check with your installer mate, if you had the system fitted recently you should be automatically eligible, I had solar hot water panels fitted last year and they have been registered by the installer so I'm just waiting for the scheme to start.
Old 01 November 2011, 11:54 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep I reckon the Solar 'bubble' is about to jump off a cliff......
Old 01 November 2011, 01:42 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

We had these installed a couple of months ago.
We decided to buy them outright rather than to have the free jobbies.
We should be fine as our feed in tariff is fixed and guaranteed for 25 years. But, Like everything that Governments do, I suppose they could easily move the goalposts to suit themselves!
Old 01 November 2011, 05:26 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frosticles
We had these installed a couple of months ago.
We decided to buy them outright rather than to have the free jobbies.
We should be fine as our feed in tariff is fixed and guaranteed for 25 years. But, Like everything that Governments do, I suppose they could easily move the goalposts to suit themselves!
What size and type of system did you have fitted? And what do you envisage your return will be?

I have been quoted today £11400 inc 5% VAT for a 4KW system and it can be fitted before Dec 12 th as well. Seriously thinking about it.

Chip
Old 01 November 2011, 05:52 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Where will all these Solar Companies be in a years time.....

I would be very careful about about the 'warranty' being offered.

Once the Gov have halved the FIT's the industry is effectively dead....
Old 01 November 2011, 06:41 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
What size and type of system did you have fitted? And what do you envisage your return will be?

I have been quoted today £11400 inc 5% VAT for a 4KW system and it can be fitted before Dec 12 th as well. Seriously thinking about it.

Chip
I've just had a quote that is slightly more than that, but in the same ballpark. Will probably go with it because they can definitely have it commissioned before Dec 12. The roof is almost south facing (within ~10%) so we should get a reasonable yield.
Old 01 November 2011, 07:05 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
What if a football hits them ....
Just how bad at football are you?
Old 01 November 2011, 07:18 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've just had a quote that is slightly more than that, but in the same ballpark. Will probably go with it because they can definitely have it commissioned before Dec 12. The roof is almost south facing (within ~10%) so we should get a reasonable yield.
I've got a quote in for a ~4KW system using Sharp panels and a Sunny Boy invertor for ~£10k - with haggle I bet I can get that to just below £10k. That includes installation costs (i.e. scaffolding) and is from a company that has been around since longer than last week

One thing to check is how the company fixes the panels to your roof. My quote is to lift the roof tiles and put in some brackets which are attached to the roof trusses. Some cowboys will just drill holes in your roof tiles - which is fine until they get water in and then freeze, and they you'll have all kinds of problems to deal with. The warranty from some of these companies trading today is probably not worth the paper it's written on now that the FIT reduction will drive most of them out of business in the next few months so be careful.

The problem I have is that the shares I was planning on selling to put towards the cost have taken a tumble, so I can't quite afford it now
Old 02 November 2011, 10:12 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

What returns are they saying you should expect?
Old 02 November 2011, 12:32 PM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

If you are looking to heat water,look at the thermomax range of tube as they are more efficient than most.

http://www.thermomax.com/
Old 02 November 2011, 02:33 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I looked into this and found;

Payback takes too many years and so many things could change in that time.

Will the panels really last 25 years?

All payback calcs seem to be very optimistic in what they will generate. They don't seem to factor we hardly get sunlight in this country. Must be plucking figures from the equator.

If you do a search there are many forums whereby people are very disappointed in the amount of electric they are producing.

HTH.
Old 02 November 2011, 02:43 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Funny enough past a house earlier on today that had just had them fitted, spoke to the wife about them and she mentioned she had also heard a price off around 25k to have them fitted although she did say she had heard a grant would be available for a chunk off this amount.

one thing that did occur to me is that 25k is a lot to outlay and just wonder how long the average householder stays in one house before moving on ?! suppose if you thought that way you would never spend on additions to the house thou !!
Old 02 November 2011, 06:35 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dave

Quick Reply: Anybody got solar panels?