Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Am I the only one wholly embracing narcissism?

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2011, 08:05 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Am I the only one wholly embracing narcissism?

I'm pretty convinced I've got to the point where I really don't give a flying **** about anybody else......

I'm normally someone who does help out within reason, but with the state of the world, it's almost "***** to it - time to look after #1 and my immediate family".

All these deaths and bad things going on in the world, well..... until they directly and immediately affect me, so what?

I'm not going to lie and say it's been a peachy year or two as it hasn't, but my drawbridge of goodwill has well and truly been drawn up/goodwill account is in serious overdraft status....... enough is enough.

I'm sick and tired of being told to shell out or look after losers who have fooked their lives up so badly. I've been in the same boat and nobody came to my assistance, so why should I reciprocate?

It's all I can do to be civil to some people at work too, after being asked to perform tasks that are blatantly within their job remits, or an idiot can see that someone else can do the same thing (the difference being that I'm actually busy and they're doing **** all).

The only advantage being is that we're about to hit the season of goodwill - so in theory I should save a packet.

There. Vent complete. Move along, move along (unless you take exception to this - well, screw you! )

I can't be the only one in the Country/planet feeling like this.

Feel free to leave you comments of indifference towards the world and it's unlucky inhabitants.
Old 29 October 2011, 08:47 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I think a lot of us feel this way at the moment Dan.
Old 29 October 2011, 08:56 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I fully understand your sentiment and have been in the same situation(s) myself. Give an inch and they'll take a mile........
Old 29 October 2011, 09:17 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

yup about right
Old 29 October 2011, 09:58 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

You may think that however it ain't narcissism
Old 29 October 2011, 10:08 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I am the same.. Although went to cosco today and at the till they were like £1 for charity, I wife paid... Then at the exit... £1 for charity and when saying we already donated the woman looked at us as if we were scum! Fat bitch
Old 29 October 2011, 10:10 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Trout
You may think that however it ain't narcissism
Narcissism can be defined in more ways than one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism

Trending Topics

Old 29 October 2011, 10:14 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
I fully understand your sentiment and have been in the same situation(s) myself. Give an inch and they'll take a mile........
So right. WTF is it about family being the usual suspects for this? P1sses me right off having my good nature taken advantage of by people who should know better.
Don't get me started about work colleagues either, fvcking lazy couple of ****** i work with but seem to have the boss man wrapped round their finger. Whereas i keep the place running smoothly without a fuss and I get my pants pulled down on a regular basis.

Youve got me started now!!
Old 29 October 2011, 10:27 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I dont think that there is anything wrong with what you have expressed - I've been feeling pretty much exactly like that for about a year now.
I got asked why I wasn’t going to the work xmas do on fri, I don’t think that they where expecting my answer of, I don’t partially like a percentage of the people I have to work with, So I certainly don’t want to see them in my own time, As I don’t drink, so I don’t find watching other getting drunk very interesting. Xmas meals out are always rubbish and I'm certainly not wasting £80 + on taxi's for the above.
Oddly enough I got a bit of a silence after that.

Richard
Old 29 October 2011, 10:32 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
I'm pretty convinced I've got to the point where I really don't give a flying **** about anybody else......

I'm normally someone who does help out within reason, but with the state of the world, it's almost "***** to it - time to look after #1 and my immediate family".

All these deaths and bad things going on in the world, well..... until they directly and immediately affect me, so what?

I'm not going to lie and say it's been a peachy year or two as it hasn't, but my drawbridge of goodwill has well and truly been drawn up/goodwill account is in serious overdraft status....... enough is enough.

I'm sick and tired of being told to shell out or look after losers who have fooked their lives up so badly. I've been in the same boat and nobody came to my assistance, so why should I reciprocate?

It's all I can do to be civil to some people at work too, after being asked to perform tasks that are blatantly within their job remits, or an idiot can see that someone else can do the same thing (the difference being that I'm actually busy and they're doing **** all).

The only advantage being is that we're about to hit the season of goodwill - so in theory I should save a packet.

There. Vent complete. Move along, move along (unless you take exception to this - well, screw you! )

Feel free to leave you comments of indifference towards the world and it's unlucky inhabitants.
absolutley i dont give a toss about anybody or anyone else apart from my family thas the society we live in now bad state off affairs if you ask me
Old 30 October 2011, 09:08 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I treat people as i find them, fi someone wants to help themselves then i am prepared to help...to a point. I have little indeed no time for wasters.

Seems to me some people treat those who show kindness, helpfulness and easy going nature as a weakness to be exploited and used rather than respected - i hate this!

It appears to me that the last 30 or so years has seen a rise in people who expect something for nothing and know their rights but ignore their responsibilities. This seems to have been encouraged by a welfare state that is used and abused and reinforced by 'human rights' that seem to protect those who wish to exploit rather than those it should protect.

Now older and wiser i am better at spotting those who wish to just take and not give in return - i have leant from sometimes bitter experience!

Just my take on things.
Old 30 October 2011, 09:15 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555

You sound like you have not had sex for a while and is likely to top oneself I hope i never meet you in a pub
Old 30 October 2011, 10:18 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie
You sound like you have not had sex for a while and is likely to top oneself I hope i never meet you in a pub
WOW - it's like you TOTALLY know me, and FWIW, the feeling is reciprocated
Old 30 October 2011, 10:24 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Now you type like some surfer dude it's like dude yeah but no like yeah but no.........
Old 30 October 2011, 10:28 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Now you type like some surfer dude it's like dude yeah but no like yeah but no.........
An extra hour in bed and you still didn't get enough sleep?

Last edited by Myles; 30 October 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 30 October 2011, 10:53 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I get the sentiment of the post but, narcissism?
Old 30 October 2011, 10:55 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't feel this way at all

Always looked after my own needs 1st,but will and often have gave a helping hand to someone who needs it.Obviously is a point where someone can start taking the p1ss,so step back and make it clear to them you haven't got i'm a Mug wrote on my forehead.But yes sometimes i myself years in the past have fallen into the trap of someone trying to take advantage of my good nature.

I also think that we would live in a better place if people didn't think its all about them,Fame/Fortune wasn't rammed into peoples minds,more so the young it seems to be directed at,and failing at something is seen as a weakness,when actually you could learn from it and come back stronger/wiser.
Old 30 October 2011, 10:56 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Myles
An extra hour in bed and you still didn't get enough sleep?
**** i forgot all about that

cheers
Old 30 October 2011, 11:00 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

As opposed to someone who twice now is trying cheap shots to make themselves look humorous?

If you don't like the post/subject, just don't input. Quite simple really.
Old 30 October 2011, 11:02 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

FWIW - my literal use of the term relates to this -

"In popular discourse, "narcissism" is a widely-used term for a range of selfish behaviors."

Bit of an extreme interpretation - but it's got people talking

In today's society, it seems the only way to be.
Old 30 October 2011, 11:06 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I get the sentiment of the post but, narcissism?
From wikipedia.....

In popular discourse, "narcissism" is a widely-used term for a range of selfish behaviors.
Old 30 October 2011, 11:16 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm too engrossed in my egocentrism to even bother reading this thread
Old 30 October 2011, 11:16 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
I don't feel this way at all

Always looked after my own needs 1st,but will and often have gave a helping hand to someone who needs it.Obviously is a point where someone can start taking the p1ss,so step back and make it clear to them you haven't got i'm a Mug wrote on my forehead.But yes sometimes i myself years in the past have fallen into the trap of someone trying to take advantage of my good nature.

I also think that we would live in a better place if people didn't think its all about them,Fame/Fortune wasn't rammed into peoples minds,more so the young it seems to be directed at,and failing at something is seen as a weakness,when actually you could learn from it and come back stronger/wiser.
This goes against my mini rant a little, but I tend to agree with you in part Dyk. I am more likely to help out someone who I don't know, ie. someone who hasn't had the opportunity to take advantage of my good nature, but I really despair when I and my Mrs are asked to do something for family or work colleagues. No thanks forthcoming ever, and we just appear servile and open to further abuse.

For instance, my wife and kids went back home over the half term and arranged to meet my family. The same thing happened that ALWAYS happens, someone phones the Mrs and asks if she can pick my mother up on the way. Understandable to share transport and save the earth, but she just wants to have a drink. Why can't my wife get a lift and have a drink? Every fvcking time.
Another one. When we go out for a family meal, generally I wont drink, Ill drive and the wife can have a glass of wine. So at the end of the meal, the bill is split and a lot of wine has been drunk therefore I am paying for the rest to get sloshed. Ironically, I end up giving at least one of them a lift so they can drink so Im not just paying for them, Im driving them to do it also!!

Sorry, rant over. im not looking for any opinions as to whether I am being irrational so please just let me have my two penneth.
Old 30 October 2011, 11:17 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
From wikipedia.....

In popular discourse, "narcissism" is a widely-used term for a range of selfish behaviors.
Scoobydoo555, great plaigarists think alike!
Old 30 October 2011, 04:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan
I treat people as i find them, fi someone wants to help themselves then i am prepared to help...to a point. I have little indeed no time for wasters.

Seems to me some people treat those who show kindness, helpfulness and easy going nature as a weakness to be exploited and used rather than respected - i hate this!

It appears to me that the last 30 or so years has seen a rise in people who expect something for nothing and know their rights but ignore their responsibilities. This seems to have been encouraged by a welfare state that is used and abused and reinforced by 'human rights' that seem to protect those who wish to exploit rather than those it should protect.

Now older and wiser i am better at spotting those who wish to just take and not give in return - i have leant from sometimes bitter experience!

Just my take on things.
I think that is a more balanced way to look at the situation.

I certainly would not want to feel that someone was taking advantage without any conscience about the help he was getting. But someone in genuine difficulty who is also a decent type deserves help where possible.

Les