Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A car electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2011, 05:02 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A car electrical question

How long roughly would it take a car battery to not hold enough charge to work the starter motor if their was a constant 12V drain on it?

I know this is a difficult question to answer but I will even accept guesstimates!

Last edited by Jamz3k; 28 October 2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 28 October 2011, 05:04 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the car have an alarm? and What is the 12v drain?
Old 28 October 2011, 05:07 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Yes it does.

Really the story behind the thought is that my car battery keeps dying if i dont drive it for 24hours or more. I have spent quite a bit of time testing the circuits on the car and the only one which I can see that is drawing serious power is for the aftermarket satnav at the car came with.
Old 28 October 2011, 05:09 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

What car is it? sorry just need a bit more info.
Old 28 October 2011, 05:10 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

2001 Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 Lusso.
Old 28 October 2011, 05:13 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Have you also checked the boot light is going off, common drain source. Can you pull the fuse for the satnav?
Old 28 October 2011, 05:13 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

2001 car - is it the original battery?

It depends on the size (amps) drain on the battery and how good the battery is in the first place and also if it is being charged effectively by the alternator - a lot of variables...also how the car is driven, if you do a lot of short journeys with he electrical toys/radio/fan, etc on then the alternator may not have the time to charge up the battery. Starting a car takes a lot out of the battery.

Last edited by The Zohan; 28 October 2011 at 05:16 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 28 October 2011, 05:15 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

It could be an alternator issue, there is a quirk on certain impreza models where the battery will not charge unless the car senses a drain thus not putting extra load onto the engine creating more emissions The work around we have found is to drive around with the side lights on so the alternator will kick in and charge the battery.

This problem obviously only effects users who don't do a lot of night time driving.

This could be worth a try, I'd get the alternator checked out anyways just to be sure.

good luck!
Old 28 October 2011, 05:16 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Thats a good point, check the condition of the battery with a hydrometer, then check what the voltage is with a multimeter, which ideally should be between 12.5 and 12.8 volts. then start the car and see what the voltage is across the terminals.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255205

Last edited by Dedrater; 28 October 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 28 October 2011, 05:21 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Have you also checked the boot light is going off, common drain source. Can you pull the fuse for the satnav?
Yes matey, checked the bootlight. I have pulled the fuse to the satnav as i generally don't use it anyway, I just hope that it has solved the problem as its a pain in the **** if i'm off for a day, don't drive it and then go to start it for work and she's dead, its never been a very serious problem as I do drive most days but it can be a pain in the **** if i forget about it.

Originally Posted by The Zohan
2001 car - is it the original battery?

It depends on the size (amps) drain on the battery and how good the battery is in the first place and also if it is being charged effectively by the alternator - a lot of variables...
New Alternator 3months ago and the battery is about 2years old max. I have to be honest I'm very incompetent with it comes to electricals (I can sell tv's though)
Old 28 October 2011, 05:24 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

There is nothing else I can add other than to top the battery up, if needed, if it is an unsealed one and wait it out

Good luck.
Old 28 October 2011, 05:25 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

or I could buy a good make of car........
Old 28 October 2011, 05:32 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Remember not to cross the wires on the jump leads!

Click image for larger version

Name:	srd4T.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	74951

Pic nicked from reddit
Old 28 October 2011, 05:34 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

The rest...

http://imgur.com/a/JSntv
Old 28 October 2011, 06:12 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could just be a duff battery, even though it's relativley new, whats the voltage when it's running, should see around 14volts, if your only doing short journeys with everything on then it's not enough,and the battery is probably fooked especially if it was a velly cheep i make special price just for you
Old 28 October 2011, 08:04 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Loose or dirty battery terminals can do that sort of thing too.
Old 28 October 2011, 09:59 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Kwik fit will test your battery for free

http://www.kwik-fit.com/your-battery-check.asp
Old 28 October 2011, 10:27 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I have had the battery and altenator checked, both are fine. I should have mentioned that previously.
Old 28 October 2011, 11:04 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Presume you've googled it?

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ery-drain.html
Old 28 October 2011, 11:14 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I would always advise checking which is the highest capacity battery ( that will fit ! ) available. Subaru "trackers" not switching to sleep mode are the usual culprit.

I have a PC in mine, that draws just enough current to ensure that the alternator gets a work out every time I drive.

dunx
Old 29 October 2011, 06:23 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

You could always fit a battery isolator until you find the current drain.

Put a multimeter in the circuit set for looking at amps, check what amps are being drawn when stood with ignition off then remove the fuses one by one and check meter after each one and note if it has gone down. Replace each fuse before removing the next so you don't get in a mess. Hopefully that will tell you what circuit the device that is sucking power is on.
Old 29 October 2011, 01:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
How long roughly would it take a car battery to not hold enough charge to work the starter motor if their was a constant 12V drain on it?

I know this is a difficult question to answer but I will even accept guesstimates!
Does your car have a tracker fitted on it. They are a constant drain and can flatten the battery after a longish period with the car not being used.

The rate of flattening of the battery does not rely so much on the 12v drain as the amount of current that the item is pulling from the battery.

The condition of your battery is also a factor of course, but if the battery is in good condition it should not go flat that quickly unless the item which is still connected is a pretty high current user.

You either have something with unusually heavy current use constantly connected, or your battery is knackered.

Les
Old 29 October 2011, 01:19 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu
Oh yes, been there read it tried it!

Good news is that the car *seemed* to spark into life a bit shaprer thismorning so I think the satnav definitely has contributed to the battery drain.

Thanks everyone who replied.
Old 09 November 2011, 09:30 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Well talk about being pissed off! After thinking i had solved the riddle of the mysterious battery drain on the motor, its back with vengence.

Now that its getting colder and wetter the battery is draining quite rapidly ie. its noticeable that it aint fully charged after sitting for a night. The alternators output seems o be sweet to the beat and I also took a trip up to halfords to buy a few bits so they checked out the battery (its under 5year warranty) and it seems grand also. They use some pretty nifty bosch device to check battery so I have no reason to doubt them. I have to say it was a very different Halfords visit than usual as they were not only very helpful and polite over the phone but extremely decent when I popped in.

So summing up, it looks like I need an auto spark as i'm fooking stumped but I really think water ingress has something to do with it now, I just don't know what to do or how to fix it.
Old 09 November 2011, 11:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If you want a rough figure: roughly 50% -60% of its amp hour rating is a safe figure.

So a 60 amp hour batter with a 1 amp draw would take 60 hours to get entirely flat. 50% of that would be 30hours whilst allowing more than enough juice for starting the engine*

*depending on the battery's quality, state of repair and initial state of charge.

Remember if the battery has been discharged to the point it won't start the car too regulaly or used with a state of charge below 12.4volts for a long period of time (weeks, months etc), it will permanently reduce the battery's maximum capacity (in other words it'll go flat quicker and get worse and worse). Allowing voltage to drop below 10.5volts WILL damage them irrepairably.

Also driving the car does not fully charge the battery - especially if it has gone flat, or is serverely discharged. Its a common misconception that is difficult to get across to people; That their alternator will not 100% charge their battery unless they go for a non-stop 24hour road trip. You see, even if you have a 90amp alternator...it'll happily dump in the first 50% of charge pretty quickly as the battery will readily accept current (not 90amps, as a 90amp alternator is typically rated at 90amp @6000rpm , so tpically its dumping in a healthy 20-30amps when driving, minus any other electrical loads), But when the battery approaches 80-90% capacity its voltages and internal resistance raises making it less willing to to accept more current (unless you raise the voltage - which will cause gassing, so don't use fast chargers ). So basically what you end up with is a 90amp alternator only feeding 1 amp into the battery. And if thats, say, a 60amp hour battery at 90% charge...it take another 6 hours of driving to bring it to 100% charge.

Seeing no mention of a battery charger has yet to have been said, I thought it was worthwhile pointing the above out.

As for battery chargers, that is another can of worms - Unless its a multi-stage charger, assume it will either undercharge or overcharge your battery.

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 November 2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10 November 2011, 03:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Might be worth getting a trickle charger to leave connected overnight. Lidls were selling what seems to be just the job for about £15 I think.

Les
Old 10 November 2011, 03:37 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

The problem is, once a new battery goes flat, it is effectively knackered.
It will never be the same again.
Old 10 November 2011, 05:47 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

If your battery has been left discharged for any time then the plates may have sulphated. Or if it's a poor quality battery the plates can lose material which falls to the bottom of the case and effectively shorts some cells out. Get a good battery and find out why the sat nav is draining it. Rewire it to an ignition on circuit.
Old 10 November 2011, 09:09 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
If you want a rough figure: roughly 50% -60% of its amp hour rating is a safe figure.

So a 60 amp hour batter with a 1 amp draw would take 60 hours to get entirely flat. 50% of that would be 30hours whilst allowing more than enough juice for starting the engine*

*depending on the battery's quality, state of repair and initial state of charge.

Remember if the battery has been discharged to the point it won't start the car too regulaly or used with a state of charge below 12.4volts for a long period of time (weeks, months etc), it will permanently reduce the battery's maximum capacity (in other words it'll go flat quicker and get worse and worse). Allowing voltage to drop below 10.5volts WILL damage them irrepairably.

Also driving the car does not fully charge the battery - especially if it has gone flat, or is serverely discharged. Its a common misconception that is difficult to get across to people; That their alternator will not 100% charge their battery unless they go for a non-stop 24hour road trip. You see, even if you have a 90amp alternator...it'll happily dump in the first 50% of charge pretty quickly as the battery will readily accept current (not 90amps, as a 90amp alternator is typically rated at 90amp @6000rpm , so tpically its dumping in a healthy 20-30amps when driving, minus any other electrical loads), But when the battery approaches 80-90% capacity its voltages and internal resistance raises making it less willing to to accept more current (unless you raise the voltage - which will cause gassing, so don't use fast chargers ). So basically what you end up with is a 90amp alternator only feeding 1 amp into the battery. And if thats, say, a 60amp hour battery at 90% charge...it take another 6 hours of driving to bring it to 100% charge.

Seeing no mention of a battery charger has yet to have been said, I thought it was worthwhile pointing the above out.

As for battery chargers, that is another can of worms - Unless its a multi-stage charger, assume it will either undercharge or overcharge your battery.
I wish you lived closer to me so I could nag you for advice. I don't understand half of what you have written but its damn interesting!

Oh and yes, i've used a charger on the battery but its a cheap yoke I lend off a friend.

When I was at Halfords they used this Bosch battery tester on the battery and it seemed to show that it was in fit condition? Do you know what this Bosch piece of kit is and is it accurate?

Quick Reply: A car electrical question