Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Euro mess

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2011, 11:13 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Euro mess

Well I’ve been following this Euro crisis business quite closely and it all seems to me to be a dog’s dinner.

So have I got the scenario about right?

Greece got into a financial mess because of years of gov’t mismanagement and accumulated debts they couldn’t handle. Presumably because banks threw money at them without a proper financial check and assuming that a country would not go broke.

Europe decided to help them out because if Greece went belly up the “markets” would get all nervous about the next to go i.e.Italy then Spain etc putting their billions at risk. So Europe give them yet more cash and tell the banks to take a 50% hit in the hope that Greece could then manage its reduced debt. But they still owe so much that it is very likely the crisis will repeat itself in a year or so along with more misery for the citizens.

And to further reassure the markets the Euro zone leaders have come up with this Paul Daniels type scheme to establish a 1 trillion Euro fund to bail out Italy/Spain as, when and if needed (although just 1 trillion is probably not enough). Not that they put any actual money in the trillion kitty but somehow believe they can get default insurance to cover their promises. Now they are off to China asking for help and, of course, this is petty cash for the Chinese.

But success depends on Italy and the others actually getting to grips with their economy and starting a growth cycle. And they seem reassured by Mr Berluscone’s back-of-the-envelope plans to do just that, notwithstanding the fact that he will probably be out on his ear soon, locked up with some 15 year old no doubt.

Oh and when Italy does default in a couple of years Germany will take most of the hit and China will have muscled into the European market.

So what planet do these guys live on?

dl
Old 28 October 2011, 11:16 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Zog.
Old 28 October 2011, 12:43 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems they are just prolonging the inevitable.
Heard Sarkozy saying earlier we don't need help from China we can sought this European mess out ourselves,and he would never had let Greece join the Euro.
Old 28 October 2011, 12:52 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Italy is probably the most-mismanaged of the European economies - although Ireland is surely close. Tech bubble followed by property burble bursting dramatically and the credit crunch.

Greece is just a small rubbish economy.

So far - Ireland, Portugal, Spain and Greece are in trouble - but relatively small economies.

Greece is an irritant - the issue with Greece is that it is seen as a barometer for Spain and Italy.

The problem with Italy (and Spain to a lesser extent) is that they are a part of the core economy of the Euro. Italy is as big as Ireland, Portugal, Spain and Greece put together.

As for the 'insurance' you quote - should be pretty easy to get - lots of banks would happily provide CDS, especially as the believe that there will always be a bailout (moral hazard).

There has never been a better time to make money out of CDSs than the last three years (quantitative easing/moral hazard).
Old 28 October 2011, 12:52 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Surely it would make sense to let Greece default and go back to the Drachma. Thus devaluing their currency and promoting growth from outside investment.

I mean, i'd snap up a cheap villa and i'm sure many more would if they were realistically priced.
Old 28 October 2011, 12:54 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I'm going out now to do my bit to help Greece..... I'm going to buy two tubs of Humous!
Old 28 October 2011, 01:12 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
I'm going out now to do my bit to help Greece..... I'm going to buy two tubs of Humous!
Usually on some sort of buy 2 for £1.50 type deal in Tesco's anyway but like they say "Every little bit helps!"

Trending Topics

Old 28 October 2011, 01:18 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I cannot for the life of me understand how Greece got into the Euro

Did nobody bother checking their books first, or were the Federalists so desperate to boost their membership that they ignored it
Old 28 October 2011, 01:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Italy is probably the most-mismanaged of the European economies - although Ireland is surely close. Tech bubble followed by property burble bursting dramatically and the credit crunch.

Greece is just a small rubbish economy.

So far - Ireland, Portugal, Spain and Greece are in trouble - but relatively small economies.

Greece is an irritant - the issue with Greece is that it is seen as a barometer for Spain and Italy.

The problem with Italy (and Spain to a lesser extent) is that they are a part of the core economy of the Euro. Italy is as big as Ireland, Portugal, Spain and Greece put together.

As for the 'insurance' you quote - should be pretty easy to get - lots of banks would happily provide CDS, especially as the believe that there will always be a bailout (moral hazard).

There has never been a better time to make money out of CDSs than the last three years (quantitative easing/moral hazard).
OK I take your point about getting "insurance" but are there that many banks or institutions around who could cover the sort of funds that they would be asked to cover? I guess it would be spread around but even so. It's a bit out of the range of confused.com No problem for China of course. And premiums won't come cheap.

dl
Old 28 October 2011, 04:33 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Be careful you don't put your money in to a double dip.
Old 28 October 2011, 04:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
The reason that Greece got "into the Euro" is the fact that the Euro is a political project, not a financial one. If it was purely financial there would be one member - Germany. And IIRC even Germany has been outside the rules in a couple of years. Italy (amount of debt) and France (French banks are exposed to huge amounts of debt in Greece and Italy - way to go the French banks!) are the ones to watch at the moment. Hence the French Poison Dwarf expending so much energy on the "EU crisis". He doesn't give a monkey's about the "EU crisis", just the **** his banks are in ....

Dave
Quite right Dave.

Les
Old 28 October 2011, 05:55 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

With regards to Ireland, isn't their economy now growing faster than ours?

I'm surprised Cyprus hasn't been dragged into this mess - massive cash economy and little in the way of tax receipts, like Greece.
Old 29 October 2011, 01:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They are just casting about in desperation now in an effort to keep it all going.

Les
Old 29 October 2011, 07:59 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Last I read on the BBC website and China have well over a trillion sitting there to invest in other countries but they are currently the major player in Americas debt so I can't see them investing in Greece without some major persuassion?
Old 29 October 2011, 10:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Last I read on the BBC website and China have well over a trillion sitting there to invest in other countries but they are currently the major player in Americas debt so I can't see them investing in Greece without some major persuassion?
No Europe would be their goal not Greece as such. The bigger hole Europe digs for itself the more China will have them over a barrel making all sorts of demands which Europe may be forced to concede.

dl
Old 29 October 2011, 10:41 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The laugh is that the average Chinese citizen has a far lower standard of living than us in Europe yet we are asking them to bail us out rather than adjusting our standard of living to suit our now much reduced means.
Old 29 October 2011, 11:10 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
The laugh is that the average Chinese citizen has a far lower standard of living than us in Europe yet we are asking them to bail us out rather than adjusting our standard of living to suit our now much reduced means.
And another irony is tht we will be watching the F1 Grand Prix (cost £250m) in India tomorrow whilst its kids die of disease

dl
Old 31 October 2011, 03:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I suppose one has to be thankful for the jobs provided by building the circuit at least.

Les
Old 31 October 2011, 03:41 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
And another irony is tht we will be watching the F1 Grand Prix (cost £250m) in India tomorrow whilst its kids die of disease

dl
I'm sure India has a space program also
Old 31 October 2011, 09:53 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Greece got into a financial mess because of years of gov’t mismanagement and accumulated debts they couldn’t handle. Presumably because banks threw money at them without a proper financial check and assuming that a country would not go broke.
a) Most Western governments have mismanaged their debts for many years (e.g. the UK has spent more than its tax take for 19 out of the last 20 years).

b) Lots of investment funds lend / lent cash to countries (by buying government bonds usually) because the rating agencies rated them as a much safer risk than they were in reality. i.e. not just banks (other governments, insurance companies, pension funds etc).

I only mention this as you've inadvertently joined the populous bank bashing nonsense in your comment "because banks threw money at them". Too easy to blame government fiscal mis-management on others (though that's what they want). Odd how the rating agencies aren't being pilloried (and are still being relied upon). Incredible how people continue to confuse a small number of investment banks which dishonestly re-packaged mortgages in the US with mainstream retail banking.

And breathe

Gordo
Old 31 October 2011, 10:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Can ANYONE explain to me in simple terms how, when the Euro is in such a mess, it's STILL massively over-valued agaisnt the £?

Please?

because I'm sick and tired of "Gordon's puny Pound" causing me to pay 50% more for everything I buy in France from rates to heating to renovation items to fuel to food.
Old 31 October 2011, 10:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
a) Most Western governments have mismanaged their debts for many years (e.g. the UK has spent more than its tax take for 19 out of the last 20 years).

b) Lots of investment funds lend / lent cash to countries (by buying government bonds usually) because the rating agencies rated them as a much safer risk than they were in reality. i.e. not just banks (other governments, insurance companies, pension funds etc).

I only mention this as you've inadvertently joined the populous bank bashing nonsense in your comment "because banks threw money at them". Too easy to blame government fiscal mis-management on others (though that's what they want). Odd how the rating agencies aren't being pilloried (and are still being relied upon). Incredible how people continue to confuse a small number of investment banks which dishonestly re-packaged mortgages in the US with mainstream retail banking.

And breathe

Gordo

No it's not good enough to absolve the banks for their part in all this. They have CEOs earning millions, apparently because they are in the super league in judging what they do with shareholder's money. And if I ran a bank that was lending billions then I would make damn sure the investment was sound before writing the cheque. The fact that others got it wrong is no excuse. The only factor in mitigation is that it seems Greece, for example, provided dodgy historical data.

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 31 October 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 31 October 2011, 11:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Default Just when you thought is was safe to go back in the water.....

It is now reported that Greece's Prime Minister has now said govt will hold a referendum asking if country is prepared to accept EC deal.

There is such anger in country that vote may go against EU which really will set the cat among the pigeons.

dl
Old 01 November 2011, 11:01 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

More stunning Greek headlines....

There are more Porsche Cayennes registered in Greece than taxpayers declaring an income of 50,000 euros (£43,800) or more, according to research by Professor Herakles Polemarchakis, former head of the Greek prime minister’s economic department.
Old 01 November 2011, 11:13 AM
ChrisB

Love it. I came across this article on the Daily Telegraph yesterday.

What is needed, urgently, is a clean, transparent Greek default – allowing this flailing semi-developed economy to leave the eurozone, re-establish a weaker drachma and regain its self-respect. Portugal should leave too, its membership of the same currency bloc as Germany is as absurd, and self-defeating, as that of Greece. There would be further market turmoil, yes, but a few more months of volatility, leading to an ultimately more stable outcome, is surely better than the current situation where the entire world is living in fear of a massive "euroquake".
Goes with some of the comments above about the Euro being political...
Old 01 November 2011, 11:21 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

So the stupid french banks have paid for Greek porsches ? If thats true then well done Greece I hope the superbly committed to free market bankers are made to suffer for thier mistakes the same as any small business would. I love that Milton Friedman is king when it helps the elite profit from thrid world misery but they forget all about the notion of a free market when they **** up.
Old 01 November 2011, 12:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I certainly object to the idea of bailing Greece out of its parlous economic situation brought on by their own overborrowing and spending as well as avoiding paying any significant taxes.

Let then stew I say!

Les
Old 01 November 2011, 12:46 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

A referendum?

And to think this country was the founding father of western thinking.

Quick Reply: The Euro mess